Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

moroboshi posted:

However, when they had a daughter I got an inheritance warning and the daughter (my granddaughter is listed as the heir to France with red text, meaning that she's a non-dynastic heir... what's going on here?

I think I get it.

1) Your granddaughter is the non-dynastic heir to the Kingdom of France, because the holder is your son's wife who is probably from some other dynasty, and her heir is your granddaughter who is of your dynasty.

2) If your granddaughter inherits your son's duchy and France before you die, your son's duchy will leave your realm (unless she inherits the duchy first and you're an emperor. Maybe.) This is assuming your son is your vassal, of course. This may e why you're getting that drop-down warning. Not sure how proactive it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Darth Various posted:

I think I get it.

1) Your granddaughter is the non-dynastic heir to the Kingdom of France, because the holder is your son's wife who is probably from some other dynasty, and her heir is your granddaughter who is of your dynasty.

2) If your granddaughter inherits your son's duchy and France before you die, your son's duchy will leave your realm (unless she inherits the duchy first and you're an emperor. Maybe.) This is assuming your son is your vassal, of course. This may e why you're getting that drop-down warning. Not sure how proactive it is.

Haha wow - that does make sense, it's just confusing as hell. And actually when I click on my son the "Heir" text is black, and on the queen who is not of my dynasty it is red, so that does make sense. It would be helpful if it was presented better though. Thanks!

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Leb posted:

King vassals are definitely fun if you're looking for a challenge that an empire full of archbishops can't provide. And it does definitely cut down on the micromanagement and makes successions exciting.

Heh, you mean like in the Game of Thrones mod? Them civil wars can be quite fun since it's 7 kingdoms and the riverlands who are picking sides, with each having at a bare minimum of ~20,000 men. That makes for some pretty violent, and awesome, civil wars. :D

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I suddenly realised that a Sultanate is a King-level title, and realised that if I pressed the kid's claim, he'd be my vassal. At which point I decided it was a risk worth taking and promptly walked all over the Umayyads (at this point, I can call on 170k levies).

My new uber-vassal now only has a little over 1000 levies. I think I'll babysit him for a while until he can hold his own, then cut him loose and watch the fireworks.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Good news: Managed to get a custom map to work

Iffy news: The shorelines definitely need cleanup.

Bad news: The entire map is covered in a shroud of darkness.

What in the hell's going on?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 5, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bishop Rodan posted:

Question: if you have a family member executed, do you still get the Kinslayer trait?

Yep! It was a pretty nasty surprise when I ran into that one, given I tend to give as many titles as possible to relatives.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Ofaloaf posted:

Good news: Managed to get a custom map to work

Iffy news: The shorelines definitely need cleanup.

Bad news: The entire map is covered in a shroud of darkness.

What in the hell's going on?
Welcome to the funderful world of colormap.dds. Your map basically needs to begin with a colormap and be drawn from there. Or else prepare yourself for hand-drawing the whole thing.

As for the shorelines, set a discrete elevation at your province's true edge and then blur the edges in Photoshop. It's a complete pain in the rear end.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Welcome to the funderful world of colormap.dds. Your map basically needs to begin with a colormap and be drawn from there. Or else prepare yourself for hand-drawing the whole thing.

As for the shorelines, set a discrete elevation at your province's true edge and then blur the edges in Photoshop. It's a complete pain in the rear end.
What compression or format am I supposed to use for colormap.dds? I've been using the BC3 / DXT5 compression, but evidently that's not working.

The colormap's supposed to be this:

But again, something's clearly not working.

I also note that you mention photoshop-- I've got GIMP and Paint.NET, but not Photoshop. They can export .dds files, so they should work, right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Well of course the absolute worst could happen, its part of the gamble. I never said king vassals was the solution to all problems that made for a for-eternity-stable empire. Personally I would rather handle the chance of a major revolt during succession than the constant duke rebellions. I almost pop a vein in my brain every time fucktard duke #25 thinks he can take on the empire with his 2 counties and across-europe single-county ally.

Dukes don't rebel at all if their power is weak relative to yours. The size of their personal demesne also factors into this, so if you have a bunch of dukes with single counties and their own vassals, then you won't ever see rebellions.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Any American mod that doesn't have a Lombardi family ruling from Green Bay is not worth playing :colbert:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Any American mod that doesn't have a Lombardi family ruling from Green Bay is not worth playing :colbert:
Maybe squashed into a different form-- the four cultures sketched up atm that might be nearby Green Bay are the Nord (more Scandinavian than other groups), Rostlander (Germanic, Rustbelt-centered), Chicagolander (tried to make a Hiberno-Polish-American culture and instantly regretted it) and Yooper (Finnish) cultures, so fiddling with the family name to make it the Langobarts or somesuch might work.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Ofaloaf posted:

Maybe squashed into a different form-- the four cultures sketched up atm that might be nearby Green Bay are the Nord (more Scandinavian than other groups), Rostlander (Germanic, Rustbelt-centered), Chicagolander (tried to make a Hiberno-Polish-American culture and instantly regretted it) and Yooper (Finnish) cultures, so fiddling with the family name to make it the Langobarts or somesuch might work.
It could be a religion, a la Hank Hill's idolatry of Tom Landry.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Any mod where you can spread yooper culture across the rest of the hemisphere would be the only way I ever play.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It could be a religion, a la Hank Hill's idolatry of Tom Landry.
A football-centered religion? ...huh. Had a few ideas already:

and something more sporty could fit in there somehow maybe wasn't planning on it before but worth a shot I guess.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

What did you do to get your mod to load? I was tooling around with the map earlier today and got the same "loading graphics" crash you got no matter what I did!

Also, I'd be kind of :raise: at a Football religion. Sounds just a tad too "wacky" for my tastes. I mean, it's your mod, but speaking for myself I don't think I'd be interested in that.

EDIT: That religion icon strip is neat though. I like the Cult of George Washington and the Children of the Atom there. :)

Try this colormap.dds and see if it fixes things: http://www.sendspace.com/file/z7r043

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 5, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

What did you do to get your mod to load? I was tooling around with the map earlier today and got the same "loading graphics" crash you got no matter what I did!
Ended up just making up landed_titles and defined all the provinces files to reference each other, and then that did it somehow. :v:

quote:

Also, I'd be kind of :raise: at a Football religion. Sounds just a tad too "wacky" for my tastes. I mean, it's your mod, but speaking for myself I don't think I'd be interested in that.
Might be able to incorporate it into something else, though-- was toying with the idea of a Bioshock Infinite-like idolization of the Founding Fathers and all things American, and then putting adherents of that faith in DC or near Mount Rushmore or some such. A football-related event tied to that might work out without making things much more wacky.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Ended up just making up landed_titles and defined all the provinces files to reference each other, and then that did it somehow. :v:

Might be able to incorporate it into something else, though-- was toying with the idea of a Bioshock Infinite-like idolization of the Founding Fathers and all things American, and then putting adherents of that faith in DC or near Mount Rushmore or some such. A football-related event tied to that might work out without making things much more wacky.

You could make it a replacement for the Tournament/Furusiyya decision. That'd be quite fitting!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Try this colormap.dds and see if it fixes things: http://www.sendspace.com/file/z7r043
It shows something, but is still darkened heavily from what it should be:

Maybe there's some sort of lighting issue or something going on? Dunno what error would cause a colormap to appear, but just rather dimly.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

You could make it a replacement for the Tournament/Furusiyya decision. That'd be quite fitting!

One of the heresies should have the football tournament replaced with a soccer tournament.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Before you reinvent the wheel, remember a Resident Goon has already done a ton of work on an America mod, and you could borrow map stuff heavily from there.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

DrSunshine posted:

"You take a crushing blow from Ray Lewis! Your vision goes dark!"

Ruler gains trait incapable.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

DrSunshine posted:

Late Capitalism celebrity culture has tons of idolatry, coaches are often the most prominent local figures in much of America, and there are literal statues to the Greats. Tom Landry has one of the largest freeways in DFW named after him.

Actually, if football is going to be a religion anywhere, it's Texas.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I didn't see this posted: Wiz has made the final update to CK2+.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

:smith: Kind of sad actually. That is amazing Wiz did this though. And he's goon savy!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

* Future Plans *

All but a dream now...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

It shows something, but is still darkened heavily from what it should be:

Maybe there's some sort of lighting issue or something going on? Dunno what error would cause a colormap to appear, but just rather dimly.

This is actually one of the most frustrating map bugs. You could try saving the dds with various different settings. That's how I typically solve things, through trial and error.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Playing a Zoroastrian Game to convert over to EU4, got stalled out in a weird way. My Expansion into Persia proper has been halted by the abbasids, who have grown to encompass all of the middle east, Egypt and Persia, as well as half of Anatolia. Decided to beat up the cumans while I waited to see if I could just wait for decadence to screw him over. NOPE. this guy gets so many rebellions to put down he is stuck a 3% decadence from all the combat hes getting in to. And I can't assassinate him, because none of his courtiers get more than 10% plot power on him, and I cant pay as I need the gold to build up for if/when he decides to holy war me.

Hopefully when he dies, probably at the age 106 as it would be the cap on his career of blocking me from doing anything fun, his realm will fragment gloriously. Until then I get to fume at the Tartari Empire being for Altaic cultures only.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Edit:^^^^ I had this as well, only the Abbasids had the Middle East, Persia, Egypt, Mauretania, all of Spain except for Galicia and Leon, all of Aquitaine and half of France. They could call up 200.000 men in the year 1000. :argh:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Dukes don't rebel at all if their power is weak relative to yours. The size of their personal demesne also factors into this, so if you have a bunch of dukes with single counties and their own vassals, then you won't ever see rebellions.

I can only agree. Checking factions as a ruler with free duchy revocations is just easy. Revoke his duchy and give it to one of his former counts, problem solved since the faction member is no longer your vassal and the new duke immediately likes you.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 5, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks for the heads-up, and a final thank you to Wiz for all his work on CK2+.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

TOG Muslims levy calculations seem a bit off to me. I've seen the Umayyad get up to 50-60k levies when comparable realms in size (or even bigger) such as the ERE or West Francia have at most 20-30k; the Abbasids were at 70k in like 890 in my latest game, and they were smaller than Italy, maybe 15-20 provinces max.

They start pretty much at the same level as the Christian or Pagan nations (Umayyad at 10k, Abbasids at 3k) but balloon up super fast.

Anyone noticed something similar?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, and a final thank you to Wiz for all his work on CK2+.

I want to echo the thanks a well! If it wasn't for CK2+ I wouldn't have devoted the hundreds of hours of game time that I have to this title, and certainly wouldn't have pre-ordered EU4. My hat is off to you, and I'm glad that Paradox recognized your talent and hired you! Keep up the good work!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You're beautiful Wiz. Totally multiplied the longevity of this game; you made each different dynasty feel deeply distinct from one another. I love you. I'm looking forward to EU4 too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ooh, neat! My experience with Project Balance / VIET Core hasn't been all that great so it's nice to come back home :v:

e: I will miss the Zoroastrianism Expanded mod, though

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 5, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's too bad CK2+ isn't compatible with the EU4 converter. I don't think I can make myself play CK in vanilla :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Thanks Wiz.

Does anyone know if CK2 respects the "Do not automatically update" flag in Steam? Because I'd rather freeze my CK2 version than lose CK2+.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
You can just copy the CK2 folder out of steam if that's your worry (afaik).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On that note, does anyone know for a fact how CK2 decides which mod's files to load in case of a conflict? I used to run CK2Plus and nothing else so that wasn't an issue, but now I've got a lot more and I don't want to gently caress my game up.

Say I want to run both a general scandinavia.mod and a more focused sweden.mod, so that if both include their version of the same file Sweden's version takes precedence. How would I ensure that? I search on the Paradox forums and some people say that earlier one in alphabetic order takes priority, others that the latter in alphabetic order takes priority :psyduck:

The only thing agreed upon is that if sweden.mod includes the dependencies = { "Scandinavia" } line then everything will work "right" as I described above regardless of mod names or order, but hardly any mods seem to actually do that - not even explicit submods.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cityinthesea posted:

You can just copy the CK2 folder out of steam if that's your worry (afaik).

You mean as a backup or does it actually run outside of Steam?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It will run outside of steam. Paradox doesnt put DRM on their executables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Well, the more you know. Thanks guys.

• Locked thread