Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

e: Actually nevermind, I don't want to get into a FF quality argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Austrian mook posted:

So, it takes place in XIIIs universe but it's called XV?

It still uses the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology -- Etro will be prominent in XV and definitely has a connection to the main character like she did with Serah and Lightning in XIII/XIII-2.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

FF6 with its own Interlude and After Years chapters. Except this time there will be a bunch of paid DLC so you can dress the whole bigass lineup and whatever second generation there might be as Lightning.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

Which part of that do you need explained for you?
The part where though X-2 is perhaps mechanically superior but the characters music and plot are much, much worse?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Austrian mook posted:

The part where though X-2 is perhaps mechanically superior the characters music and plot are much, much worse?

The battle system was enough to make X-2 way better than X.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Azure_Horizon posted:

The battle system was enough to make X-2 way better than X.

He literally said in every way, like, if you think X-2 has a better plot and story progression than X I don't kow what the gently caress to even say.

E: someone post that loving opening, I'm on mobile. You realize that's what we're talking about?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Austrian mook posted:

He literally said in every way, like, if you think X-2 has a better plot and story progression than X I don't kow what the gently caress to even say.

There are plot points in X-2 that are more interesting than anything in X, such as the events concerning Paine's backstory. But I never found X's story to be anything special to begin with, especially with a lead character as terrible as Tidus.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SSNeoman posted:

Did FFXIII have a hardmode I was unaware of? Because yes, Auto-battle didn't get you through all the game.

It got you through 97% of it.
Depends on how you define the percentages, I bet I spent way more than 3% of my time grinding Adamantoises and those assholes require a lot of paradigm shifting and command selecting.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Austrian mook posted:

The part where though X-2 is perhaps mechanically superior but the characters music and plot are much, much worse?

I prefer a hilarious chick flick in crazy Final Fantasy land to X's rather boring framing story for finding your dad's road trip videos and 10-2 doesn't make me put up with Wakka or Kimahri for nearly as long, plus it has a battle system I find a lot more interesting. The music's eclectic but I prefer its highs to 10's highs and the Chocobo theme is an avant-garde masterpiece.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Azure_Horizon posted:

There are plot points in X-2 that are more interesting than anything in X, such as the events concerning Paine's backstory. But I never found X's story to be anything special to begin with, especially with a lead character as terrible as Tidus.

I just went through this with the X vs. XIII de-rail and I don't want to do this again, but I completely disagree. I can't stand Rikku or Yuna in that game, the fan service is painful and I like Tidus as a character, I really, really do. That's all I care to say because Im heading to Seattle tomorrow and I need to sleep.

E: that one concert bit was loving sweet though

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

alcharagia posted:

I prefer a hilarious chick flick in crazy Final Fantasy land to X's rather boring framing story for finding your dad's road trip videos and 10-2 doesn't make me put up with Wakka or Kimahri for nearly as long, plus it has a battle system I find a lot more interesting. The music's eclectic but I prefer its highs to 10's highs and the Chocobo theme is an avant-garde masterpiece.

Eternity ~ Memory of Lightwaves ~ is a track FFX wished it had.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Azure_Horizon posted:

Eternity ~ Memory of Lightwaves ~ is a track FFX wished it had.

To Zanarkand is the best game song ever save Snake Eater.

E: surprised to see so much love to what's basically a made for tv Disney flick.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 5, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds like somebody couldn't Ride That Chocobo.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

What kind of flower would Toriyama whip out to describe the Leblanc massage scene in X-2?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lord of Pie posted:

What kind of flower would Toriyama whip out to describe the Leblanc massage scene in X-2?

A lotus

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves is a really good track that deserved to be in a much better game and sounds completely out of place next to the rest of the FFX-2 soundtrack. What I heard of it, anyway, I stopped playing after 10 hours or so.

X-2 may as well have the best battle system in the history of RPGs for all I care, but it doesn't matter because as long as I dislike nearly everything else about the game I won't enjoy playing it. I'm probably still gonna buy the HD remaster because I'm an idiot. :eng99:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How anyone can hate Magical Girl Charlie's Angels is beyond my comprehension.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Huh, I guess we've found someone willing to champion X as much as Azure defends XIII!

X always left a bad taste in my mouth because (ending spoilers) Tidus dying in the end completely invalidated one of the central themes of Yuna's journey, specifically that you shouldn't have to make a martyr of yourself. Though on the other hand, I can't give that development too much crap because it led to one of the best elements of X-2's story, which then also gets completely invalidated by the "best" ending, of course, but whatever. I'm one of those weirdos who likes GIRL POWER over X. Plus it also gave us this.

e: To Zanarkand is an extremely pretty song (with a hilarious Black Mages version), but the only other things I can remember from X's soundtrack are hordes of TZ remixes and that goofy buttmetal intro.

Looper fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 5, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FFX-2 includes scene skip but then petulantly decides any scenes you skip don't count on your completion percentage, and also you can't skip FMVs. Such petty little gestures. Any game from after the turn of the century that acts like its doing me a huge favor when it decides to include scene skip can gently caress off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-2 had some really interesting ideas scattered around a game that takes itself wholly less serious than X. Whether or not this is a good thing is obviously personal preference. If the more somber and dire storytelling of X didn't actually work for you, naturally you will not mind when things became incredibly goofy.

FOr my part, I mostly prefer X but X-2 has its perks. I enjoyed Yuna's change in character (not Rikku's though. gently caress them for having to make her the Hyper one to contrast with the normal one and the Dull one) because I think it makes sense. Of cours eI also go with the Normal Ending because Yuna comes out stronger for it.

Seeing an FF world in a state of transition was also pretty neat at the same as I don't think there had been any sequels.

THe ENglish dub was better with Future Sephiroth and Zack voicing Nooj and Gippal. Yuna's voice-actress deserves an award for how much she improved.

"1000 Words" is my favorite FF ballad.

ANd...everything else goes to X. I like having a full party, I liked the tone better, I vastly prefer the soundtrack, and it just had a greater number of memorable moments. Whether I prefer X-2 Yuna or not, the scene where she rejects Yunalesca is one of my favorite moments in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAXzNf5OHo

Auron helped a lot.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
In all honesty if anything is good from game to game it's the music. I can always find at least one song in each game that I like. Even XII which I probably like the least has some great tracks like the Esper Battle, Empire Theme, and Phon Coast.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Austrian mook posted:

To Zanarkand is the best game song ever save Snake Eater.

E: surprised to see so much love to what's basically a made for tv Disney flick.

FFX has Wandering Flame, which is so much better. X-2 has its Zanarkand Ruins theme, which I also thought was more interesting aurally.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Huh, I guess we've found someone willing to champion X as much as Azure defends XIII!

X always left a bad taste in my mouth because (ending spoilers) Tidus dying in the end completely invalidated one of the central themes of Yuna's journey, specifically that you shouldn't have to make a martyr of yourself. Though on the other hand, I can't give that development too much crap because it led to one of the best elements of X-2's story, which then also gets completely invalidated by the "best" ending, of course, but whatever. I'm one of those weirdos who likes GIRL POWER over X. Plus it also gave us this.

e: To Zanarkand is an extremely pretty song (with a hilarious Black Mages version), but the only other things I can remember from X's soundtrack are hordes of TZ remixes and that goofy buttmetal intro.

Ah, see, I'd argue that having Tidus die works for the plot, because he was the character most insistent upon not having sacrifice, not having people die--he's childish the whole story, and over the course of the pilgrimage he discards his childish aspects one by one. His ultimate acceptance of adulthood and responsibility lies in his silent, willing acceptance of his inevitable sacrifice. More importantly, it strikes a dramatic irony towards the theme of martyrdom, since the obvious martyr lives while the natural savior does not. That dramatic irony helps cement that the "cycle of death" still exists in Spira, even if Sin is gone, and there's a bunch of other kind of obvious bits of symbolism you could draw if you really wanted to.

I don't have a strong opinion about X-2 in any great way, but I found it generally annoying. Maybe if it had actual women writing it or something, I'd buy the "girl power" Final Fantasy, but as is it is kind of a cheap excuse to have a bunch of girls running around in fetish wear.

The battle system is a fine hot roaring engine of jungle love and I don't care what anybody says that kitten purrs. It's just surrounded by something truly outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

In all honesty if anything is good from game to game it's the music. I can always find at least one song in each game that I like. Even XII which I probably like the least has some great tracks like the Esper Battle, Empire Theme, and Phon Coast.

XII is one of my favorite games in the series and I just never understood how people felt the soundtrack was unusually weak.

The tracks you listed were great but there was also the epic final boss tune, the wonderfully eerie and mystical theme for the Great Crystal and possibly my favorite song in the game, Seeking Power. I loved that this was the theme of the Paramina Rift, right before Mt. Bur-omisace who's theme was Abandoned Power.

A soundtrack's natural quality can be enhanced to a higher status by proper placement and use. FVII doesn't have one of my favorite OSTs but by god do they use what they had amazingly well. XII is much the same I think.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
12's soundtrack is horrendous. Hands down the worst in the series. Hitoshi Sakimoto uses the worst sounding synths conceivable and even if the notes he writes down on paper, so to speak, sound good when played by real instruments, it all falls to poo poo with the garbage sound quality. I would rather listen to lovely rear end midi's from FF7 than anything done by Sakimoto.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Failboattootoot posted:

12's soundtrack is horrendous. Hands down the worst in the series. Hitoshi Sakimoto uses the worst sounding synths conceivable and even if the notes he writes down on paper, so to speak, sound good when played by real instruments, it all falls to poo poo with the garbage sound quality. I would rather listen to lovely rear end midi's from FF7 than anything done by Sakimoto.

I know 12's sound quality was really crummy but to say that 12's soundtrack was horrible is pretty hyperbolic. Sakimoto's work on Tactics Ogre and BoF: Dragon Quarter was solid, not to mention that FFT's soundtrack is still drat good to this day.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Something is crazy wrong with you if you don't think Final Fantasy Tactics has a good soundtrack, and even if 12 has the worst music in the main series that isn't very damning considering that the music is the only thing that's remained consistently quality from the NES clear through FF13.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Failboattootoot posted:

Agreed. Sakimoto is by far the worst composer they've handed a Final Fantasy game to.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Nope, FFT's soundtrack was pure butts. I think I have maybe 1 song off that album still kicking around somewhere, if that. Which I guess makes it worse than 12 now that I think about it, since I've got 3 or 4 songs from 12. So ok, 12 has the worst mainline soundtrack, but FFT is the worst. Glad we puzzled this out.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The only things disappointing about X-2:

- Rikku's drug problem (get help, girl. :ohdear: )

- The :airquote:best:airquote: ending.

- The fact that Yuna hadn't really become the foul-mouthed party animal diva she had both chosen to dress as and so richly earned the right to be in the previous game (while at the same time being all of Spira's fetch-quest doormat even so)

edit:

- Its chocobo theme.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mazed posted:

Nah, only the herb would ever make you do your hair up like her Thief dressphere. No need to get help over that :420:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mazed posted:

The only things disappointing about X-2:

- The :airquote:best:airquote: ending.

- The fact that Yuna hadn't really become the foul-mouthed party animal diva she had both chosen to dress as and so richly earned the right to be in the previous game (while at the same time being all of Spira's fetch-quest doormat even so)

God, Yuna-as-Ke$ha running around with Stoner Rikku and Bodyguard Paine would have been such a better game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mazed posted:

So what you're saying is that X-2 was sort of Yuna's mandatory teen rebellion phase that she had to skip over on account of being a religious martyr.

I definitely would have loved if X-2 starred a smoking Yuna who went off on Wakka and Kimahri and Lulu for trying to tell her what to do. Also she got a tattoo and stole the Celsius from cousin Cid.

quote:

edit:

- Its chocobo theme.

Behold, the worst song in FF history, bar none.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also she got a tattoo and stole the Celsius from cousin Cid.
Well technically didn't she get a Zanarkand Abes tat on her chest? :v:

e: Wait no, I guess that's just part of the Gunner dressphere.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I always forget some of the more underrated X-2 tracks. Here's one of the few attempts at actual jazz the series has had with Paine's Theme. It's delightful. The reception to X-2's soundtrack made one of the composers straight up quit the business. :(

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Hamauzu is rearranging the FFX soundtrack for FFX HD (60 of its tracks, to be precise). This probably means replacing some of the tracks with heavy synth with actual instruments and improving overall quality. So long as he can fix the godawful battle theme, which is the worst in the series.

Also, the menu screen:

The bar in the top left is an animated water effect. Everything looks much sharper and cleaner.

Other screens:

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 5, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

Behold, the worst song in FF history, bar none.

So sad. They could have completely turned it around by setting some ridiculous Engrish rapping to that.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I always forget some of the more underrated X-2 tracks. Here's one of the few attempts at actual jazz the series has had with Paine's Theme. It's delightful. The reception to X-2's soundtrack made one of the composers straight up quit the business. :(

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Hamauzu is rearranging the FFX soundtrack for FFX HD (60 of its tracks, to be precise). This probably means replacing some of the tracks with heavy synth with actual instruments and improving overall quality. So long as he can fix the godawful battle theme, which is the worst in the series.

Yeah, it's got a lot of mediocrity, but an equal portion of FFX-2's soundtrack is pretty great, both in terms of atmospheric stuff and the jazzy upbeat numbers. That game gets way too much poo poo.

You mean the way the synth sounds real bad in the FFX fight music, right? The tune itself is far from terrible. And, knowing that the music is getting a makeover too is extremely good news.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Anyone who hates X-2 needs to read this: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-X-2/
Just read the page that comes up as it sums up any points people make about the game. If you disagree after, that's cool, but know that this game is more than just cheap titillation.

Expanding on the above, I really liked that X-2 felt like a sequel. It continued the story, introduced new characters who were likable and effective and just generally did a fantastic job of showing what Spira looks like when it can finally grow up again.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 5, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Final Fantasy Tactics owns, the setting and the designs and the soundtrack are all ace. I really like the setting and it's unfortunate we didn't get more games in that timeline (I don't think 12 counts).

I had this stuck in my head for 12 hours while I was hiking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXuVP4yGWDg

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't wait for the X and X-2 HD remake. They really seem to be going all in with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I figured that with the sudden influx of posts, it'd either be new content or arguing about XIII again.

I'm excited for X/X-2 HD mostly for X-2 than X. I've always felt that X-2 had the most fun gameplay in the series and at least some of it was rather tongue in cheek, something that XIII could have probably done with. The International additions sound great also while X's International additions are just kind of there.