Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey, at least you guys have airconditioning.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One hour of watching American TV and I want to go back to Korea. They literally made up a marine biologist and several events, one of which where people supposedly died, and are presenting it as fact. This is during Shark Week, the one week a year where Discovery Chanel is arguably relevant.

USA get out.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You say as if Korean TV is the pinnacle of quality entertainment.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Cameron posted:

You say as if Korean TV is the pinnacle of quality entertainment.

I don't watch Korean t- Ooooooooohhh...

Also I keep looking for light-switches on the outsides of bathrooms and getting confused, and I'm going to have to remind myself to tip out loud at restaurants. I almost stiffed a guy today by accident, was actually halfway out the door before I caught my mistake.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Also I keep looking for light-switches on the outsides of bathrooms
:lol:

Do you find yourself bowing to older people a little? My friends called me out on that when I was home. I don't mean Japanese-style bowing, I just mean prostrating a bit.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I had to consciously remind myself to not bow when I walked into shops and small restaurants.

But yeah the discover and history channels turned into godawful bullshit a year or two after TLC did. But the last season of Always Sunny was pretty great so USA TV still reigns supreme.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
After living in Japan for a while, I started bowing during phone calls :smith: I'm guessing I'll start doing that again in Korea.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

http://www.koreabang.com/2013/stories/advice-on-dating-korean-men-attracts-anger-support.html

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

bringmyfishback posted:

After living in Japan for a while, I started bowing during phone calls :smith: I'm guessing I'll start doing that again in Korea.

Ain't bowing if you're not bending 90 degrees.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Camp diary, day 6:

My spirit remains strong.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 5, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
AP, your last name wouldn't happen to be Denisovich, would it?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
:dong:

e: I'm dumb

THE LUMMOX fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 5, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

THE LUMMOX posted:

Goondolances to people that married Koreans and built meaningful lives here, you didn't QUITE achieve enough.

I don't know how I go from day to day with my literally genius level students in tiny classes, boss who treats me with respect and bends over backward to make use of my talents at work, and awesome in-laws who treat me like their own child.

I could be back in America struggling to find work. :smith:

Wow, I expected far more vitriol and woman-hating in the comments.

Also, I was out at 3PM and after a brief rain, this horrible wave of intense humidity just descended on me. It was like Houston, just god drat.

I was halfway expecting some Day After Tomorrow poo poo like having Global Warming chase me down the street.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 5, 2013

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

The Bible posted:

Well, the English comments were pretty terrible.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

oh poo poo I totally missed the previous savory news item
M-R-A til I D-I-E

/dies

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Onion Knight posted:

oh poo poo I totally missed the previous savory news item
M-R-A til I D-I-E

/dies

Ugh, regardless of nationality, MRA guys are just the loving worst. Glad to see that most Koreans seem to hate them just as much as we do in the west.

Then again, this is the internet:

quote:

Seong Jae-ki’s method was wrong but women should stop playing the victim and the Ministry of Women should be abolished. Hundreds of groups for women vs. one group for men. Does that make sense? Discrimination against me is bad but discrimination against others is good discrimination?

Male chauvinism is disgusting garbage.
But chivalry or Lady First is a nice idea.
Even if a man just looks in the eye of a woman, she can be sexually harassed.
But women can touch men’s arms and stomach like nothing.
If a man enters a women’s washroom, he is a pervert.
But if a woman enters a men’s washroom, she might have made a mistake.
Nosy in-laws from the husband’s side are a vice.
But it is a good tradition for the husband to buy a house to live with his wife.
It’s awful to let a woman’s mother-in-law know the security code to her home.
But she lets her mom know it without telling her husband.
If a man hits a woman, he is trash.
But if a woman hits a man, the man might be trash who deserves it.
Women can become military officers. They aren’t physically weak.
But how can women be conscripted? They are physically weak.
There is nothing special about men doing their military duty. What bonus points?
But women suffer a lot from period pain. They need menstrual leave.
Low employment rate of women is all because of men.
But women tend not to want to get in the science or engineering field.
It is bad discrimination to ask female employees for coffee.
But it is rational discrimination to ask male employees to do overtime or night shifts.
Why do men get promoted faster than women?
But you want a woman to carry that heavy water bottle?
White-only was trashy discrimination against black people.
But women-only is completely rational discrimination.
An Older man’s compliment to a cute kid is bad sexual harassment.
But an older woman’s compliment to a cute kid, even a remark about his penis, is good sexual harassment.
It hurts a woman’s pride when they have to pay alongside men.
But it is good manners for men to pay for women.
Women can fail. It’s understandable.
But men should always succeed. Otherwise, they are worthless.
When a woman cries, they ask her who made her cry.
But when a man cries, they scold him for being pathetic.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 5, 2013

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

The Bible posted:

Ugh, regardless of language, MRA guys are just the loving worst. Glad to see that most Koreans seem to hate them just as much as we do in the west. I refuse the believe the comments are indicative of the majority opinion, at least.

Why aren't you in the Kakao group chat? We have many high quality discussions about this issue and others.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

THE LUMMOX posted:

Why aren't you in the Kakao group chat? We have many high quality discussions about this issue and others.

I don't know. How do I get in?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Bible posted:

Then again, this is the internet:

But women suffer a lot from period pain. They need menstrual leave.

Story time: Dude, it is men who need the menstrual leave. When I worked in England I was in an office stacked with women, and they all synced up. 14 - 17 was a hellish nightmare. So me and the one other man in the office started taking leave on those days, some bullshit like "I need to go to a concert", "Some nerd tournament I need to watch", or "cough cough, gonna be sick". It was about month 4 before my junior coworker realized what we were doing. Boss lady couldn't write me up on using approved PTO, but she did order young girl to smack the poo poo outta me for that poo poo. Still laugh about it to this day.

Anyways, reintegration chat: The crack addict cashier at my 7/11 asked me why I handed him money with two hands... I was at a loss about how to explain that.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That's one of those mannerisms people told me about but I don't think I have ever seen a Korean do, at least not at the convenience store.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I dunno why, but I tend to see it around the bases more than in Seoul. Either they're playing to the stereotype or it's just a 'This dumbass army guy is gonna drop the money all over the drat place if I don't slowly lower it into his grubby paws'.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Because foreigners generally give the money with one hand, not two. And yes I have seen foreigners dropping and almost slamming the money on the table, so I'd be surprised too.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

The Bible posted:

Also, I was out at 3PM and after a brief rain, this horrible wave of intense humidity just descended on me. It was like Houston, just god drat.

I was halfway expecting some Day After Tomorrow poo poo like having Global Warming chase me down the street.
I just thought it was hilarious how some of the women were absolutely shocked that the guy they were dating was not like from the TV and expected the 200% effort put in to impressing a girl would be a lasting thing. Maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat, MAYBE, but I was pretty much always the same guy: day 1 or day 780. A bit awkward at first, but going above what I'm willing to do on a daily basis is lying in my book.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

Hello everyone. We are a couple in our mid-twenties. We’ve been dating for three years. My boyfriend had a crush on me for years before we began dating. He treated me well for the first two years of our relationship, but since then he has slowly and subtly changed.
relationships dot txt
This has been happening since there were people and if you want an american version replace "k-dramas" with "john cusack movies" or "the twilight books" depending on how old you are and there you go. I guess it's been a slow news week for Koreabang or jay.h wanted to see nerds rail against ~korean culture~ again.

Question though:
I keep calling immigration for information about transferring my visa and they tell me that it can only be done after I've completed my previous contract (as in, after August 31st) whereas I thought the rule was two weeks out. Did something change or are they just trying to brush me off? I'd rather get everything set up before I take my vacation.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

nullscan posted:

That's nothing, I married one and drug her back to Sparkling Corea. She thought she could escape to Hawaii!

This is serious win. I can understand how people want to live elsewhere; that said, I love living here (though I loathe, abhor and despise the loving summer weather) and I would be a very surly lady if I had to leave.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
e; I'm being lazy and just googled my answer.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

No one is going to believe a single loving thing I say if I actually wrote up an update to all this poo poo so here's a picture that speaks for itself. http://i.imgur.com/525ZT8D.jpg

I guess he's abusive but somehow doesnt notice/care if she disappears for a week and a half at a time but I don't give a gently caress. I did not know about any of this poo poo before and I am getting the gently caress out of this situation.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Eject

Eject

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Suicide threats are coming soon.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ladron posted:

I'm looking forward to where this is going.

ladron posted:

Suicide threats are coming soon.
It went pretty much where you, and anyone who lives in this part of the world, guessed, heh.

BrainDance posted:

Like I said earlier I really do like her, shes just too much sometimes and I dont think we want the same things.
Turns out BrainDance was right.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BrainDance posted:

No one is going to believe a single loving thing I say if I actually wrote up an update to all this poo poo so here's a picture that speaks for itself. http://i.imgur.com/525ZT8D.jpg

I guess he's abusive but somehow doesnt notice/care if she disappears for a week and a half at a time but I don't give a gently caress. I did not know about any of this poo poo before and I am getting the gently caress out of this situation.

Dude, I've been there. Was messing around with an older woman who was a regular at the non-Atown foreigner bar. She mentioned one time she had a daughter. I was all... if we are in this hotel room at like 1am, who's watching her. She was all "Oh um... my... brother. Yeah those are the word in english." This was nothing serious, just casual booty calls, so I didn't think much of it.

Later on, I saw her at the bar with an older korean dude. I was like whatever and kept drinking. She saw me and texted me to 'be cool'. I was invited over and was introduced as her 'English Tutor'. Turns out ol dude was her husband. I played dumb and innocent harder than ever in my life. When that man bought me a beer and shook my hand, knowing that if he knew what I did he could murder me right then and there, that was the momement I truely felt alive. I stopped seeing her after that and she found another boy toy shortly after.

So, yeah. GTFO and all that. You arn't the only one and I feel for ya. You'll notice a couple things make sense in that married context, a couple of things that raise even more questions. Also, don't meet the dude. Although, it would be cheaper than skydiving, and an unimaginable rush of fight or flight emotions.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Picked up a Korean girl at the bar, went back to her place for fun times. Next morning she decides to order some food and I see a dependant military ID.

"Oh, my husband is army officer but we're getting divorce " See her a year later and apparently she's worked stuff out as dude is with her. Not only dude's loving around.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrainDance posted:

Put a ring on it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BrainDance posted:

DIVE DIVE DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!!!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

KirbyKhan posted:

So, yeah. GTFO and all that. You arn't the only one and I feel for ya. You'll notice a couple things make sense in that married context, a couple of things that raise even more questions. Also, don't meet the dude. Although, it would be cheaper than skydiving, and an unimaginable rush of fight or flight emotions.

Yeah, whole lot poo poo adds up now. It wasn't just the shittiness of Korea she wanted me to save her from I guess. She always told me her apartment was too messy for me to come over and I was like "ok I get that more than anyone we'll just go to my place."

I honestly don't care if people screw up their lives, whatever we're all adults. But this whole situation is one of those "I got married as a teenager out of wedlock" deals and so there's a 9 year old girl somehow with these crazy people. And shes all saying "oh she can live without me she'll be fine" and I feel like I gotta be the voice of reason, like, Christ don't abandon your daughter.

I asked about that, if you have a daughter how are you hanging out with me constantly? She just said her daughter knows how to take care of herself... Also her daughter is just a big burden to her. the gently caress is wrong with some people?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BrainDance posted:

I asked about that, if you have a daughter how are you hanging out with me constantly? She just said her daughter knows how to take care of herself... Also her daughter is just a big burden to her. the gently caress is wrong with some people?

Holy poo poo, at least my bag of crazy still loved her daughter. She just loved booze and foreign dick as well. Kept talking how the both of them would run away to New Zealand. Huh... I wonder if she made it :smith:.

Anyways, yeah, I'm not even gonna make jokes like "Give her another baby, maybe second time's the charm" or some poo poo. That whole situations sounds hosed. Hope you get through it ok.

EDIT: Clarification: Her and her daughter would run away to New Zealand, mostly so her daughter wouldn't have to suffer the korean ed system.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 8, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Seriously why do so many Korean women abandon their drat kids? It's hosed up. Men do it too, but I've seen way more instances of moms doing it.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Probably should have to supply some stats to that one, Cameron

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hagwon industry :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think the father is the one who sort of gets the kids by default instead of the mother like in America. So it sort of just ends up that way.

I'm gonna put a disclaimer here about my past couple posts before anyone jumps on me. I'm not asking you guys for advice necessarily, I'm just venting and, I dunno seemed like we weren't having much conversation so it's something to talk about.

I'm not talking to any of my irl friends about this one, because even I don't feel like telling people I know "hey guys, guess what? Turns out I'm a home wrecker now."

• Locked thread