Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Shotgun and ele are actually earmarked as the two weapons that do purges, they are the only ones that actually have actives that do so (shotgun has purges other than CU, they are just like every other purge, bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Besides those two bosses then, it seems like the issue is that you're in a group with 3 DPS, all with the same attitude regarding CU (since, you only really need 1 person in the group to have it, for most fights). Maybe you could just advertise for players that have CU, and form the group that way (which is what I guess everyone else is doing that caused the issue to begin with).

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Alright, well I've started playing this game. In as Anthony "CarlosDanger" Wener on Daemon server east. I will try to get this mumble thing to work, but feel free to stop by and say hi.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BigRoman posted:

Alright, well I've started playing this game. In as Anthony "CarlosDanger" Wener on Daemon server east. I will try to get this mumble thing to work, but feel free to stop by and say hi.

No no no, they said the Secret World. Not the front page of Politico, man.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Scrapyard Edgar skill list:
Pshew-Pshew
Orbitities
Crazy poo poo
Circus Dances
Super Splash
Leash Lash

elhondo posted:

Besides those two bosses then, it seems like the issue is that you're in a group with 3 DPS, all with the same attitude regarding CU (since, you only really need 1 person in the group to have it, for most fights). Maybe you could just advertise for players that have CU, and form the group that way (which is what I guess everyone else is doing that caused the issue to begin with).
Nobody's denying that CU is completely unnecessary outside of those fights, it's just that it's basically mandatory for some fights, and the only alternatives are even more expansive tweaks to your group composition. If you want to run 18s and don't have Cleanup, then you get to go grind.

It's worse because Lifeburn is a terrible mechanic that doesn't really do anything interesting for the fight, it just forces all of the DPS to run Cleanup, and if they nerf Cleanup into uselessness (which they tried to do, and only made people run another copy of it), then it'll force everyone to run Pistol or Blood.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

macnbc posted:

No no no, they said the Secret World. Not the front page of Politico, man.

Man, haven't you ever heard of a double bluff?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
telnet comsat.term.entry

Jesus, I thought the manual override for Win Win would be something akin to Zork or DOS at the very most. Turns out it's actually networking and poo poo apparently. Fuckin' hate logic puzzles but oh well.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Not So Fast posted:

Man, haven't you ever heard of a double bluff?

That's some true window into madness poo poo, though I'd love to know what part this:

Plays in the Illuminati's sinister scheme. Unless all the Kermits each speak a different vision of the future? For gently caress's sake, I bet this is exactly how Kyoon got started.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
PSA for whoever kept asking for help to do Research of Tyler Freeborn: Hide behind the backhoe and equip melee weapons. If a Guardian comes over to you (and few will, most will bother the NPCs instead), just one-shot it with a consumer. Repeat. Did it today and didn't even get a single stack of filth exposure (and barely took any damage at all because they always open with Anathema).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm seeing a lot of people in that Orochi armour from issue 7, though I can't figure out why it's so popular. With Orochi's track record, they should've just put in a clown costume.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people in that Orochi armour from issue 7, though I can't figure out why it's so popular. With Orochi's track record, they should've just put in a clown costume.

Orochi armor is a thing I've wanted since launch. But I also want Orochi to be a playable faction.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Pilchenstein posted:

Gives people an excuse for when they die. Orochi's certainly got a track record for dead operatives.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Orochi armor is a thing I've wanted since launch. But I also want Orochi to be a playable faction.

Although I doubt they'll ever add more factions, it seems to me like the Phoenicians are are more likely candidate to be a playable faction than the Orochi group. Orochi's role seems to be mostly "we hosed everything up and now you have to clean it up. AGAIN." The Phoenicians actually have historical connections with the other societies.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they made the Orochi group to have enough bodies to fill a quota for aesthetics. You can't swing a dead chicken in TSW without hitting a dead Orochi scientist.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I kinda want to play as the Council of Venice.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I kind of like Chaos because I get green magic claws and can Shoryuken, but you guys say it sucks. I'm basically just grinding through parts of Kingsmouth to fill out some starter decks I want the outfits for and getting a feel for the different abilities. I think I'll go back to for serious leveling Shotguns/Elemental when I'm done since that sounds okay and you guys suggested it.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Any combination of weapons will work until you're doing nightmare dungeons. Just play whatever you think is fun. When people say chaos sucks, they are totally sperging out and min-maxing stuff that does not really need to be min-maxed.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bauxite posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they made the Orochi group to have enough bodies to fill a quota for aesthetics. You can't swing a dead chicken in TSW without hitting a dead Orochi scientist.

I think at a certain point the TSW devs realized that dead Orochi had become a running joke and decided to just go with it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

macnbc posted:

I think at a certain point the TSW devs realized that dead Orochi had become a running joke and decided to just go with it.

Pretty sure they were designed to be the red shirts of the Secret World, atleast one Orochi officer who is alive refers to the soldiers as such.

Edit: I was loading into Agartha and what this guy sees from a distance I saw up close. Not sure what caused it but I don't think it was the golems summoning the gatekeeper thing.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 5, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Pretty sure they were designed to be the red shirts of the Secret World, atleast one Orochi officer who is alive refers to the soldiers as such.

Edit: I was loading into Agartha and what this guy sees from a distance I saw up close. Not sure what caused it but I don't think it was the golems summoning the gatekeeper thing.

If you trigger it from Kingsmouth town and hop into the portal back to the main hub you can see it up close too.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Zephonith posted:

I kinda want to play as the Council of Venice.

I want to play as a member of Said's Mummers :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Mate of mine finished issue 7 for the first time today, then managed to take another mission before he turned in the extra "free 10.1 gear" mission. Anyone know offhand how he gets that back?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Pilchenstein posted:

Mate of mine finished issue 7 for the first time today, then managed to take another mission before he turned in the extra "free 10.1 gear" mission. Anyone know offhand how he gets that back?

Likely petition a gm

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

HughGRect posted:

Not just any Orochi guy - Harrison Blake, whose voice actor was in Star Trek: Voyager.

"Did you just drop a Star Trek reference, sir?"

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 5, 2013

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Any combination of weapons will work until you're doing nightmare dungeons. Just play whatever you think is fun. When people say chaos sucks, they are totally sperging out and min-maxing stuff that does not really need to be min-maxed.

Noted.

So I got all these bonus points from that X number of missions completed thing. How do I redeem those? Are they just added on top of a point purchase I make in the cash shop? Also, where can I spend my billions of Pax currency?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mango sentinel posted:

Noted.

So I got all these bonus points from that X number of missions completed thing. How do I redeem those? Are they just added on top of a point purchase I make in the cash shop? Also, where can I spend my billions of Pax currency?

The points should be auto added to your Funcom account. Press the , to open the store in game to see. I would spend Pax in Pangea because it's not good for much else beyond clothes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Len posted:

The points should be auto added to your Funcom account. Press the , to open the store in game to see. I would spend Pax in Pangea because it's not good for much else beyond clothes.

They show up on the store but in a separate "bonus points" thing. But I just spent them so it was just kind of unintuitive.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Zephonith posted:

Not just any Orochi guy - Harrison Blake, whose voice actor was in Star Trek: Voyager.

"Did you just drop a Star Trek reference, sir?"

It never dawned on me that Blake was Tuvok until that line. I was also surprised to find out that Che Garcia Hansson is Armin Shimerman, too. Montag's VA was immediately recognizable though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Vanderdeath posted:

I was also surprised to find out that Che Garcia Hansson is Armin Shimerman, too.

:aaa: Now I'm going to have to trek back (:v:) to that camp to listen to him again.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

rantmo posted:

:aaa: Now I'm going to have to trek back (:v:) to that camp to listen to him again.

He's also the guy who narrates Darkness War I think. Joe something?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mango sentinel posted:

They show up on the store but in a separate "bonus points" thing. But I just spent them so it was just kind of unintuitive.

Bonus points expire, "regular" Funcom points don't. That's the only difference.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Bonus points expire, "regular" Funcom points don't. That's the only difference.

Which still is kind of bullshit. I want my points to be lifetime. Like my TSW subscription.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So I'm in Egypt, and finished this build:

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.0902.048222008g.0514.048401.09.058.09002.09.09.09.08/5h5l6j4z7a7g7s00404n4u546m9sbi00

And it's basically easy mode so far. So where do I go from here? Is this endgame viable? Other weapons and combos to flesh out? Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm actually really enjoying this game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Nostrum posted:

So I'm in Egypt, and finished this build:

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.0902.048222008g.0514.048401.09.058.09002.09.09.09.08/5h5l6j4z7a7g7s00404n4u546m9sbi00

And it's basically easy mode so far. So where do I go from here? Is this endgame viable? Other weapons and combos to flesh out? Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm actually really enjoying this game.

As far as "durable solo build" goes, you're pretty much set. Try fitting in Stone's Throw somewhere- it's a resource-free attack on a short cooldown. You can almost definitely afford to give up some defensive abilities/boosts, but I don't think sword/hammer actually has any more offensive abilities/boosts. You'll only have issues with the Fungi in Shadowy Forest, which, uh, react badly to being Afflicted.

For Elite dungeons and Nightmares, you'll want something more focused. If you want to Tank, swap out your builder for Blade Torrent - it gives more threat. You might also want to swap out your hammer consumer for Razor Shards, which gives a large threat boost to your next attack.

For everything else, you'll need to flesh out AR, Shotgun, and Pistols (DPS) and Fists (healing for people in QL10 blues).

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

That's pretty darn close to tank builds I've run before.

If you go that route, as cheston said, blade torrent for bamboo cutter. Then put in 12 Gouge and Agitator as passives (most likely in place of leeching frenzy and sharp blades). Razor Shards is good, but so is Aftershock, its really a choice based upon encounter and personal playstyle. Though be aware that the tank will typically want to bring impairs which would take up the slots that you currently have defensive cooldowns in (defensive cooldowns are great, trucker is amazing, but those are the only real slots you have to fit in impairs). Raging Volcano is rather lackluster. Kind of unfortunate, I've really tried to like that skill, but I just can't. Also Stone's Throw is amazing and should be on every hammer bar (good threat, good damage, low CD, stacks debilitate, is ranged).

As a tank you do want HP, though not full HP gear (might would work in greens since greens still give some AR on the HP pieces, but if you get into blues you definitely want attack pieces, usually head + Major or that equivalent). And you also will want hit on your gear as with low hit your impairs will glance which means they have no effect.

If you don't want to tank in dungeons, you will most likely end up better off going ranged. Its not that melee DPS isn't possible, its just that the game has so many mechanics that hose melee DPS.

Zerotheos
Jan 2, 2005
Z
Excuse me, I have to rant about this game for a second. I've been playing through this with a small group of friends. gently caress solo instances. It seems like this game is designed in many ways for small group co-op and even the difficulty of standard enemies really feels like you want to group. Then they go and throw in random solo instances that completely disrupt your ability to group and play a role. Collecting healing gear so you can pocket heal your group of friends as you do missions? Whelp, now you're hosed because you have to go into this cave and kill a billion mothmen by yourself.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I understand the frustration, but here are three notes on solo instances:

1. Funcom has noted that they weren't well-received and stopped making them.

2. You can sometimes get into allegedly solo instances with Meet Up.

3. The solo instances drop off dramatically after the early bits, and they aren't long. Many aren't even combat.

For now: this game shits gear on you, you should be able to build up a basic DPS set pretty quickly and it isn't really possible to get healing abilities without also picking up damage ones.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Zerotheos posted:

Excuse me, I have to rant about this game for a second. I've been playing through this with a small group of friends. gently caress solo instances. It seems like this game is designed in many ways for small group co-op and even the difficulty of standard enemies really feels like you want to group. Then they go and throw in random solo instances that completely disrupt your ability to group and play a role. Collecting healing gear so you can pocket heal your group of friends as you do missions? Whelp, now you're hosed because you have to go into this cave and kill a billion mothmen by yourself.

Yeah, the solo instances are a bloody stupid idea in a multiplayer game. Though I had great fun trying to talk two of my mates through Sins of the Father when we reached it as a group last week, because I am legitimately terrible at giving instructions. Apparently "Activate the computer first, then the switch, then the other computer." is vague and unhelpful - I knew what I meant. :colbert:

Skion
Mar 24, 2013
So I'm starting to do NMs with this build:
http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.0900288o880002.09.04401g0002.074.09.09.09.09.09g.09.09.04/1z1n4t55252w1v001q20565t6w2ad800

Feels like I could improve on it though, the blades aren't usable too often unless it's just a tank and spank.
Been thinking of switching to strikes for crits, but the 2 resource per builder is hard to give up.
So thoughts/opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Skion posted:

So I'm starting to do NMs with this build:
http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.0900288o880002.09.04401g0002.074.09.09.09.09.09g.09.09.04/1z1n4t55252w1v001q20565t6w2ad800

Feels like I could improve on it though, the blades aren't usable too often unless it's just a tank and spank.
Been thinking of switching to strikes for crits, but the 2 resource per builder is hard to give up.
So thoughts/opinions?

You are bringing a ton of support that most fights just don't call for. Deadly Aim is good, Win-Win is situational and Insult To Injury (Weaken-debil) is typically a tank responsibility.

Usually when your picking two weapons when doing NM's you want them to be in the same range bracket, so running with blades and pistols is kinda meh. If you can make it work all the more power to you, but it will be a red flag to a lot of players. Pretty much any ranged weapon will pair well with pistols and most people use shotgun early on because of all the buffs your capable of bringing to the fights.

I noticed a bit of synergy between focus attacks and crit hits, that is always a good thing. Unfortunately the state of focus abilities is that they don't measure up to other non-subtyped abilities. The same can be said about critical hits as well, in it's current state Live Wire has just been nerfed too hard. You would be better off using Fluid Defense or Seal the Deal depending on your final build.

I recommend this build as something that does a decent job in NM's:

Pistol / Shotgun

This is a complete cookie cutter build and will perform well enough to clear content as your gear level improves. The goal of the build is to line up elemental force to force crit shootout, so your rotation would be:

Builder x 5
Aux or 6th builder
Out for a Kill
Shootout

As you get familiar with the rotation, start putting Lock, Stock and Barrel into it for an extra Out for a Kill after Shootout.

A less fussy version would be to remove Seal the Deal and Elemental Force and replace them with fluid defense and Overpenetration. Then your just building to five and letting the consumers fly.

• Locked thread