Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

I'm excited for FFX HD since I've never properly dived into the game's mechanics and sidequests. I completely broke VIII on Disc 1, beat Ozma in IX, did Via Infinito in X-2, but I didn't even manage to get the Magus Sisters on my playthroughs of X :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

It still uses the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology -- Etro will be prominent in XV and definitely has a connection to the main character like she did with Serah and Lightning in XIII/XIII-2.

I can't wait for Etro to destroy another universe in a misguided attempt at helping.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

X-2 felt like one big extended New Game+ for FFX. It was like, "okay, you got through the standard RPG hero's journey thing, now let's take this poo poo completely off the rails." And I mean that in the best way possible.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I can't wait for Etro to destroy another universe in a misguided attempt at helping.

I can't wait for Noctis Returns: Final Fantasy XV, where Noctis gets his package enlarged, and can wear different costumes to change his abilities in battle, such as a fireman, police officer, or cowboy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I would buy a copy of that. Finally, awkward sexual pandering for my people!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

That loving Sned posted:

I can't wait for Noctis Returns: Final Fantasy XV, where Noctis gets his package enlarged, and can wear different costumes to change his abilities in battle, such as a fireman, police officer, or cowboy.

They'd better get a license for YMCA or In the Navy as battle music then.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can understand why people would think that FF15 will share the same setting as FF13, because it was originally a spinoff, but now that it's a main game don't you think they'll be different mythos? There's that whole thing about every Final Fantasy main game being a different world from the rest, aside from the usual connections (Gilgamesh, Summons, Gil, Moogles, Jobs, etc.).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

That loving Sned posted:

I dunno; last time they tried a male with assless chaps, we got Vagrant Story, and the result of that was they decided to go with Vaan instead of Basch as the main character for XII.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ShadowedFlames posted:

They'd better get a license for YMCA or In the Navy as battle music then.
Why bother? Just do it Earthbound style and sample enough that everyone's thinking it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Level Slide posted:

I was gonna say "Can't be any worse than Altana" but drat that totally was worse, wasn't it. :stare:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Seeing how much effort they put into the X/X-2 HD games is making me really excited to replay the games. Do we still not have a NA release date though?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gologle posted:

I can understand why people would think that FF15 will share the same setting as FF13, because it was originally a spinoff, but now that it's a main game don't you think they'll be different mythos? There's that whole thing about every Final Fantasy main game being a different world from the rest, aside from the usual connections (Gilgamesh, Summons, Gil, Moogles, Jobs, etc.).

Then again, they did reuse Garland and the four fiends for IX, although they had plenty of differences. I'd be sort of okay if they do the same in XV, that is, make that Etro completely different from the original one.

Not that it matters anyway because I barely learned about her existence in XIII.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

Then again, they did reuse Garland and the four fiends for IX, although they had plenty of differences. I'd be sort of okay if they do the same in XV, that is, make that Etro completely different from the original one.

Not that it matters anyway because I barely learned about her existence in XIII.

Etro is never mentioned by name in FF13. I believe she may be referred to by name somewhere near the end of 13-2.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Etro is never mentioned by name in FF13. I believe she may be referred to by name somewhere near the end of 13-2.

The name actually turns up quite a bit in XIII-2, and even before the name gets dropped Noel makes allusions to the goddess.

Speaking of XIII-2, am I the only one who felt the ending felt really tacked on? It felt like they'd written up a more conclusive ending before realizing they'd need another game to make up for XIII's development, so they decided to end on a cliffhanger and resolve nothing in the Lightning DLC so they could make another sequel. Not that I'm not looking forward to Lightning Returns, mind you, since that actually looks fun.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

Final Fantasy Agito XIII kept the same story when it became Type-0 on the PSP, and Nomura said that the story is being kept the same for XV despite the name change. Until the Type-0 fan translation is finished, I won't really know how the FNC mythology is actually used in it, but I heard that there are still Fal'Cie, and one of the teachers is a l'Cie.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pretty sure Etro is mentioned by name in the cutscene before/after the fight with Barthandelus 2.0. His whole point is to open her gate.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TheWorstAtWords posted:

Speaking of XIII-2, am I the only one who felt the ending felt really tacked on? It felt like they'd written up a more conclusive ending before realizing they'd need another game to make up for XIII's development, so they decided to end on a cliffhanger and resolve nothing in the Lightning DLC so they could make another sequel. Not that I'm not looking forward to Lightning Returns, mind you, since that actually looks fun.

Actually that ending ruled, and I would have been completely fine with it - even more fine than otherwise - if it was the last sequel in that mythology. Everyone dies, the bad guy wins? I'm totally down for that.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

TheWorstAtWords posted:

I'm really hoping that they leave Sarah actually dead in Lightning Returns, so XIII-2's ending still remains actually shocking.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

I'm really hoping that they leave Sarah actually dead in Lightning Returns, so XIII-2's ending still remains actually shocking.

This would be ideal but the chances of it are surely negligible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

fronz posted:

Actually that ending ruled, and I would have been completely fine with it - even more fine than otherwise - if it was the last sequel in that mythology. Everyone dies, the bad guy wins? I'm totally down for that.

I don't know, I didn't really feel like the ending was particularly mythic--honestly, the whole thing felt utterly disappointing. This sluggish melodrama took twenty hours to even go anywhere and it all concludes with a big gently caress you, girl dies, cliffhanger bullshit, listen to j-pop and buy the DLC you loving worms. It just felt like a final, ultimate dickslap at the end of yet another deep, nostalgia-mining money pit from Square-Enix. The entire game is just one giant money-making scam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Peel posted:

This would be ideal but the chances of it are surely negligible.

They start the summoning ritual up but stumble over the name and end up saying Terra and your party gets locked into Lightning/Terra/Fang and the game is awesome.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ShadeofDante posted:

Well she's been in the trailers, so that's not happening. She's also been blatantly evil, though, so how long it lasts remains to be seen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Well she's been in the trailers, so that's not happening. She's also been blatantly evil, though, so how long it lasts remains to be seen.

Supposedly it isn't the same character. Supposedly.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dragonatrix posted:

That's not her. They've gone on record to say that it isn't.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly it isn't the same character. Supposedly.

Considering XIII-2 established that Serah is a seeress like Yeul, and the seeresses reincarnate a bunch, I'm guessing it's Serah's reincarnation who just so happens to be evil.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Level Slide posted:

To be fair who knows if it's the same Etro. It's not like FF isn't known for reusing names/people but drastically changing everything about them. Maybe Etro isn't a massive loving idiot in this universe.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TheWorstAtWords posted:

Considering XIII-2 established that Serah is a seeress like Yeul, and the seeresses reincarnate a bunch, I'm guessing it's Serah's reincarnation who just so happens to be evil.

So evil Snow would now be her immortal guardian? That sounds slightly interesting... which means it probably won't happen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It seems to me you've lived your life like a candle in the wind. That is to say, every Cid has been an inventor of some sort, and every Etro action shown so far is a giant stupid action.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gologle posted:

It seems to me you've lived your life like a candle in the wind. That is to say, every Cid has been an inventor of some sort, and every Etro action shown so far is a giant stupid action.

FF8 and FF13 Cids.

I'm also wondering if summons are going to return. SE hasn't made Summons really useful since X aside from clutches like 'inhuman shields' or 'full-party revival'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Summons are never going to go away but they're hard as hell to make interesting without just making them replace another mechanic entirely. Basically I feel like the best thing you could do with summons is the FFXIII-2/Lufia-2 style "make them an extra-customizable/changable party member" or something like that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

FF8 and FF13 Cids.

I'm also wondering if summons are going to return. SE hasn't made Summons really useful since X aside from clutches like 'inhuman shields' or 'full-party revival'.
8 invented mercenaries!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

FF8 and FF13 Cids.

Sort of in 12 too, and the one in 2 didn't invent anything, he's just an Airship driver. And if we're really splitting hairs 10's cid just salvages tech.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 5, 2013

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sort of in 12 too, and the one in 2 didn't invent anything, he's just an Airship driver. And if we're really splitting hairs 10's cid just salvages tech.

No way, Cid 12 was the primary mastermind behind all the WMD's at the core of the game's plot. He was the bad guys' head researcher.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Summons are never going to go away but they're hard as hell to make interesting without just making them replace another mechanic entirely. Basically I feel like the best thing you could do with summons is the FFXIII-2/Lufia-2 style "make them an extra-customizable/changable party member" or something like that.

I like the idea of them being some kind of transformation that you fully control in FF XV. That or a temporary replacement since your character transforming into a summoned creature probably doesn't make sense in the story. I loved the different transformations in KH2 so something along those lines would make me happy. I didn't care for KH2's summons much though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
All the Cids have more of a connection to airships (either piloting them, creating them, salavaging them, etc.), than specifically being just inventors. That only really applies to all the main numbered games in the series though.

FF1 - (retconned in) Created the airship the party finds.
FF2 - pilots airship
FF3 - makes airships
FF4 - makes airships, engineer
FF5 - finds and fixes the party airship. Also inventor.
FF6 - Actually, this one seems to be the odd one out, only being an engineer.
FF7 - rocket pilot/ airship pilot/ drink your goddamn tea
FF8 - funds the building of the floating gardens.
FF9 - Builds airships
FF10 - Finds, pilots and repairs airships.
FF11 - Makes an airship, also engineer.
FF12 - Builds airships, also engineer.
FF13 - Pilots airship
FF14 - Just an engineer...at the moment, any way.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 5, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No way, Cid 12 was the primary mastermind behind all the WMD's at the core of the game's plot. He was the bad guys' head researcher.

I meant sort if because there's 2 Cid's in that game and one of them is Manly McPartyPrince Owner of the Worlds Only Pair of Sunglasses.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

I just went through this with the X vs. XIII de-rail and I don't want to do this again, but I completely disagree. I can't stand Rikku or Yuna in that game, the fan service is painful and I like Tidus as a character, I really, really do. That's all I care to say because Im heading to Seattle tomorrow and I need to sleep.

E: that one concert bit was loving sweet though

I'm with you. X may not be the best of the series, but it is no question Tier I.

The idea that X had a simple battle system that could be beaten by mashing the x button is beyond absurd. X put the time actions took front and center. Other games had bigger spells/techniques take more time, but X made it obvious how using this or that action affected the queue, and really made you think about balancing cost and benefits when it came to time. It still stands as the absolute best incarnation of the ATB system Square has developed.

The sphere grid is still the best leveling system Square has ever developed. Every character has a certain function, reinforced by their section of the grid. But to say that the leveling is linear shows a total lack of understanding of how the grid works. There are locks that can be opened to move one character into another character's territory. There are special spheres that allow you to learn any other ability an ally knows. There are spheres that warp any character to any other character. There is tons and tons of variety. Want a Rikku that can cast black magic early? Play some blitzball and win a teleport sphere. And so on and so on.

And yet at the end of the game, when you just want to kick rear end, you can teach every character every ability.

The plot, themes, and world were outstanding. The music was memorable and moving. The characters all had a part to play, histories and biases that fleshed out the world. It was just a great game.

There were certainly problems with it. The minigames, with the exception of blitzball, were just god awful. Making the player swap in every character so everyone gets XP is tedious.

X-2 was also a good game, but not as good as X. It definitely has one of the best incarnations of the job system. The changes they make to Yuna are... okay, and mostly believable. I didn't like the sexual elements of the story. I would have preferred if the leaders of the factions has some presence in the original game. Oh, and the "best" ending should have been cut, even though I understand that many players wouldn't have felt they really won without it.

But anyway, both of these games are miles ahead of XIII in terms of almost every category I can think of, except maybe *action* and *FMV :swoon:ness*

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 5, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pesky Splinter posted:

All the Cids have more of a connection to airships (either piloting them, creating them, salavaging them, etc.), than specifically being inventors. That only really applies to all the main numbered games in the series though.

FF1 - (retconned in) Created the airship the party finds.
FF2 - pilots airship
FF3 - makes airships
FF4 - makes airships, engineer
FF5 - finds and fixes the party airship. Also inventor.
FF6 - Actually, this one seems to be the odd one out, only being an engineer.
FF7 - rocket pilot/ airship pilot/ drink your goddamn tea
FF8 - funds the building of the floating gardens.
FF9 - Builds airships
FF10 - Finds, pilots and repairs airships.
FF11 - Makes an airship, also engineer.
FF12 - Builds airships, also engineer.
FF13 - Pilots airship
FF14 - Just an engineer...at the moment, any way.

It seems to flip-flop somewhat between "smarty inventor guy" and "airship guy." Usually both, since the party is often the owner of the world's only (or best) airship. I dunno is 12's Cid is really an airship builder, per se. He's just the head weapons researcher, and airships in particular are never brought up.

Although there is the sort of unexplained "final dungeon" Bahamut... Edit: Nevermind, I guess he did build it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ah, see, I'd argue that having Tidus die works for the plot, because he was the character most insistent upon not having sacrifice, not having people die--he's childish the whole story, and over the course of the pilgrimage he discards his childish aspects one by one. His ultimate acceptance of adulthood and responsibility lies in his silent, willing acceptance of his inevitable sacrifice. More importantly, it strikes a dramatic irony towards the theme of martyrdom, since the obvious martyr lives while the natural savior does not. That dramatic irony helps cement that the "cycle of death" still exists in Spira, even if Sin is gone, and there's a bunch of other kind of obvious bits of symbolism you could draw if you really wanted to.

I've never quite been able to put into words why I thought that aspect of X's ending made sense, so I wanted to say I really appreciate you putting it so eloquently.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To be fair who knows if it's the same Etro. It's not like FF isn't known for reusing names/people but drastically changing everything about them. Maybe Etro isn't a massive loving idiot in this universe.

It's outright called the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology, so while details can change the overriding mythos of the thing is likely very similar.