Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
That... sounds like Covenant. They are such a great group. I saw them live last year in LA and for being older than most of their audience they just kept going for two hours. Full energy, no breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Something slightly unlikely happened today. I was getting a new tattoo, and chatting about music while the guy is working on my arm and he mentioned he's in a band. Turns out he's in Metaltech, the band that's opening Infest this year so I was quite surprised! He was then helpful with fitting in a second session for me during August so that I can get it finished in order to show it off at the festival, haha.

Also, I was totally unaware that William Bennett from Whitehouse has had a sideline as an italo disco DJ for a while now. "DJ Bennetti", I kid you not.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This rumor has been doing some serious snowballing.

FLA and Skinny Puppy to propose joint tour

I can imagine some of you getting super excited for this, but I can't help but think it would only hurt the ticket sales.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hatelull posted:

This rumor has been doing some serious snowballing.

FLA and Skinny Puppy to propose joint tour

I can imagine some of you getting super excited for this, but I can't help but think it would only hurt the ticket sales.

...why and how? I can't think of a single reason that a tour like that wouldn't be mega-popular (as far as this kind of music goes, that is).

Edit: Unless there's, like, I dunno, some kind of really dumb animosity between Puppy and FLA fans in the US?

Finally got my copy of Echogenetic. This owns and FLA owns. gently caress

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 24, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

If bands make their money off of touring and ticket sales, then combining the tour basically splits the profits between the two right? That would mean an increase in ticket price for any sort of gains, yes?

Also, for some of the more 'elitist' puppy fans there's a weird sense of snobbery toward FLA as if that band is an inferior child.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
A Skinny Puppy/FLA tour would be able to book and fill larger venues than either band could alone, I'd assume.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hatelull posted:

If bands make their money off of touring and ticket sales, then combining the tour basically splits the profits between the two right? That would mean an increase in ticket price for any sort of gains, yes?

Well, it would be a tour with two of the biggest and most significant bands in the entire scene, so would people really expect low ticket prices? Of course it's way too early to say what their pricing policy will be, but personally I definitely wouldn't mind paying 40 - 60 € to see these two particular bands on the same stage. I'm also sure such a tour might have the kind of people who were in the scene in the 80s but since have forgotfen it come to the shows to feel all nostalgic and poo poo. Iunno.

Also,

hatelull posted:

Also, for some of the more 'elitist' puppy fans there's a weird sense of snobbery toward FLA as if that band is an inferior child.

These people are dumb and I hope they know they are dumb

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'd assume 90% of the people that would go to a Skinny Puppy show would also go to a separate FLA show.. So it seems like it wouldn't draw much more of a crowd (in Denver, Co that is). But I could see some of the less concert going people finally getting out of the house to hit up 2 huge bands instead of one. Industrial shows in Co are pretty sad as far as attendance anymore, mostly aging fans with kids/lives and weeknight shows.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Also, if the idea of a tour is to capture interest in new fans then touring with another "classic" act doesn't do them any favors. Ideally, they would tour with an up and comer opener or another headliner from a different but associated genre. Touring with FLA, while a dream bill for a lot of people is pretty much preaching to the choir.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well yeah, those are good points. I guess I slightly misinterpreted what you meant with "it would only hurt the ticket sales", hatelull. I figured you meant something like that less people would go see a concert with both Skinny Puppy and FLA than would show up at a concert with just one of them, but yeah, now I get you. I guess my problem here might be that I don't really have a firm grasp on how alive the scene is in the States. I only have first-hand experiences of it here in Finland (it exists, sort of) and Germany (loving gigantic).

I dunno, though, I still think a joint tour could be a huge success. But yeah, it's possible one or both of the bands would have to settle for a little less than they usually do. Judging by Leeb's interview doesn't seem to be that much about the money for him, he just seems to want to do a "just like the old days" kind of thing and would be happy to just warm up for Puppy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What does the scene being gigantic look like, exactly?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Like this I guess

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine more clubs and bars? I live in Austin which is a metro of 1.5 million or so, and the city is an influential place for music as people here like to remind everyone. It's supposed to be globally influential. And there's a goth club. And we're lucky: It has a witch house night! And does dark music on more than one night of the week! And you know, the occasional touring artist from Europe. Population-wise that's equivalent to Munich, right?

I wonder what a comparatively dull German city with 1/3 of the population has in comparison. Maybe more?

On the plus side, there are some really creative artists and DJs here who are into experimental post-industrial and witch house styled music.

But festivals? Nothing. They've tried to have them here and they've either imploded with some accusations of dodgy pump-and-dump schemes on the part of the organizers, or are just absolutely lovely with the worst Funker Vogt retread bands. But there's probably a lot of really awful German industrial bands playing local clubs I've never heard, so...

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 25, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

deong posted:

So it seems like it wouldn't draw much more of a crowd (in Denver, Co that is).

Did you know Peter Murphy and Project Pitchfork just blew through town? I subscribe to for or five mailing lists and read Westword regularly and I hadn't seen one. God. drat. Thing. About either of them.

I don't know what's up with the Denver scene sometimes.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 25, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Who opens for who?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
They'll go on at the same time for a battle of the bands in large steel cages. One band's members will be wearing helmets in the shape of guns and using voice distorters, while the other one will be wearing mecha suits that keep wobbling when they move. It will be an even match.

edit: Ok, I would watch this.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 25, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The scene in Germany also looks like literal Blutengel signing sessions at Germany's equivalents to Best Buy stores

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Noricae posted:

They'll go on at the same time for a battle of the bands in large steel cages. One band's members will be wearing helmets in the shape of guns and using voice distorters, while the other one will be wearing mecha suits that keep wobbling when they move. It will be an even match.

edit: Ok, I would watch this.

That sounds more like a Funker Vogt/Hanzel und Gretyl tour.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

The scene in Germany also looks like literal Blutengel signing sessions at Germany's equivalents to Best Buy stores

Now your favorite vampire goth artist can sign your 400 video games too!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

boo_radley posted:

Did you know Peter Murphy and Project Pitchfork just blew through town? I subscribe to for or five mailing lists and read Westword regularly and I hadn't seen one. God. drat. Thing. About either of them.

I don't know what's up with the Denver scene sometimes.

Sort of..
I'm not a big Peter Murphy fan, little outside of my listening. I had heard that he'd be here, and then forgot. Pitchfork, I got an email from TicketWeb about it.. but it was before the tickets were on sale etc, and then never heard another thing. Like you, I get like 15 emails a week so I sometimes glaze over shows coming up. It also helps to have the venues on FB, but again there is so much drat useless chatter that they get skipped at times as well.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Infest isn't coming back next year, and it's future in general is up in the air. (But it's unlikely to happen.)

For anyone who went last year and has been before then this wont be a surprise. Less than half as many people who would normally show up came last year and it's losing so much ground to Resistanz that I'm surprised they could run it last year.

For myself I'm still really sad about it. Infest 2007 and 2008 were easily two of the best weekends of my life. They're the only large event in the country than caters for more than the core audience of Nachtmahr and Combichrist listeners, they always have a line up with a noise act or two and a couple of other super different acts. Everyone is always amazingly nice, the atmosphere is the friendliest anywhere and the music is unparalleled.

One of their reasons for not doing it next year states that ridiculous "Alt-Fest", I'm surprised that anyone sane thinks it's even going to happen in any real capacity.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah, also dismayed, but not entirely surprised. Much as I've enjoyed Resistanz the last two years and can see the appeal over Infest (the way Resistanz markets itself in the scene comes across way better for a start), Infest generally has more interesting bands for my tastes.

I'm assuming that Alt-Fest will (if it actually happens to the scale they've claimed) announce a big-name metal act as their headliner and then hope that proves a massive draw. I'd much rather go to a festival in mainland Europe next summer where all the stuff there will be goth/industrial than a festival where a third of it is rock/metal bands - I really have no interest in that scene these days. Edit: also gently caress camping forever.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 29, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Not just camping, but camping in British late-August weather. It will either be reasonable or completely loving pissing it down. (It will be pissing it down.)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Haha, what the christ. Graves will be a pop star within 5 years if he keeps this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOG6KlVErMs

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sloppy posted:

Haha, what the christ. Graves will be a pop star within 5 years if he keeps this up.

This is kinda cool though.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I've been trying to get back into doing my own stuff and have messing around with a couple of WIPs but I don't know if I'm even doing anything worth listening to. Can I get some feedback on these incredibly rough short things:

https://soundcloud.com/myrmidon-process/industrial-style-concept-track
https://soundcloud.com/myrmidon-process/short-thing

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Does anyone know any good industrial songs that are just one chugging riff repeated over and over in the style of Chemlab - Exhile on Mainline or Ministry - NWO / Just One Fix? It's good shooting music I want more like this

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Quirk posted:

Does anyone know any good industrial songs that are just one chugging riff repeated over and over in the style of Chemlab - Exhile on Mainline or Ministry - NWO / Just One Fix? It's good shooting music I want more like this

If you can deal with the vocals, Trust Obey's Hands Of Ash album might be worth a look.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Quirk posted:

Biopsy - Never Inhale
Psychopomps - Superpsycho
Klute - Guilty
Front Line Assembly - Liquid Seperation
Anything off the Quake 2 soundtrack.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Those are pretty good, I've listened Quake II to death the last decade and a half.

Here is an album I've made called 13a: http://youtu.be/eLvnIc1GMNE I hope some people will like it, I'm working on making a bandcamp and stuff for it.

Quirk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 5, 2013

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Quirk posted:

Those are pretty good, I've listened Quake II to death the last decade and a half.

Here is an album I've made called 13a: http://youtu.be/eLvnIc1GMNE I hope some people will like it, I'm working on making a bandcamp and stuff for it.

I always like the stuff you make and post here and this is no exception. Thanks!

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Quirk posted:

This is some good stuff, can't wait for the bandcamp.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Kanye West made the best industrial album of the year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

People keep telling me that, but it just does nothing for me.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Can anybody explain exactly how kein mehrheit fur die mitleid is a play on words? I guess it would require a short linguistics lesson, but I've never heard anybody explain it any further than 'it's a german play on words.'

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's just a slogan, isn't it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMFDM#Origin_.281984.29

quote:

KMFDM is an initialism for the nonsensical and grammatically incorrect German phrase Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid, which literally translates as "no majority for the pity", but is typically given the loose translation of "no pity for the majority". In the original phrase, the articles preceding the nouns Mehrheit and Mitleid are inflected for the wrong gender, as the proper declension would be Keine Mehrheit für das Mitleid. Swapping the two nouns yields the grammatically correct Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit, which translates directly as "no pity for the majority". In a 2003 interview, Konietzko explained the origins of the phrase:

quote:

"On the morning of February 29th, 1984 I woke up and went down to breakfast at a hotel in Paris. We had a show that night opening for an exhibition for young European artists. ... we needed a motto for the night so that we could make up some fliers and post them around. There was a German newspaper on the table and so I started cutting out words and threw them all into a cap. We picked a few of them out and it read "Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid". It's kinda improper German in regards to its translation but in the DA-DA-esque [sic] mindset of the early morning it made perfect sense. So when I was on my way back to Hamburg I'd mentioned it to Raymond. He liked it but he was having difficulty pronouncing it correctly. So finally he said, 'Why don't you just call it KMFDM?' So that was it. We were KMFDM."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I just saw Kraftwerk live and I'd like to remind you shitheads that Kraftwerk is still the heaviest and most industrial band in existence

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah, Kraftwerk are awesome live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Omi-Polari posted:

Kanye West made the best industrial album of the year.

Kanye West posted:

Four in the morning, and I'm zoning
I think I'm possessed, it's an omen
I keep it 300 like the Romans
300 bitches, where the Trojans?
Baby, we living in the moment
I've been a menace for the longest
But I ain't finished, I'm devoted
And you know it, and you know it

If so, he definitely beat Aesthetic Perfection for the "Most Embarrassing Lyrics by a Revered Artist" Award.