Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
Benny I've been following your thread since the beginning but haven't had anything to say until now.

Earlier this year I got a diagnosis like yours - depression with psychotic tendencies. It scared me at first too, because anything with the label "psychotic" is well, scary. I have hallucinations, and some crippling delusions, but I'm working on it, and I'm getting better.

After I started therapy, I finally came to terms with the fact that I was underemployed, overworked, and hated my job. I had spent such a long time convincing myself that I was poo poo and would never get a good job that I used it to justify remaining stagnant. Finally I started listening to watch friends and family were telling me, redid my resume so it wasn't poo poo, and got my feet under me. Started applying everywhere, going to interviews, and allowing myself to acknowledge that it's ok to want a good life.

I just accepted a job offer for a better company, making better money, and having better hours. Things can change, and things can get better. If you want to PM and talk about anything feel free. Good luck with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Dr. Lariat posted:

Is English your first language?

Whats that supposed to mean?

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Jizznastics posted:

Whats that supposed to mean?

- what everyone was asking after you made that post.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
I was kinda tired when I posted that and I know it rough around the edges but I think most people can understand what I'm saying exactly.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
I think it may be a fill in the blanks game, minus the obvious blanks:

Jizznastics posted:

Don't listen to nor give any sorta of attention to this rear end in a top hat. By the Way, how much money is do you have saved in the mattress from your most recent job?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Benny, a lot of drug companies will help you out if you qualify as low-income. For example, if you were prescribed aripiprazol (abilify), you can send them a form to get it cheap

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Good job finally doing something everyone in this thread was suggesting you do months ago.

For the record, since this thread started I have moved out of an abusive home, found a better job, become more social, lost over 30 pounds, got my motorcycle license, and gotten medicated for both my ADD and depression.

But hey, baby steps right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Holy poo poo, this thread has been enthralling, and is really giving me a different look at what kinds of things go through the mind of someone with significant mental issues. It's so easy to just write someone off as being a loser or something, especially when those mental issues are not extreme enough to be straight-jacket material, and the person himself is not confronting his issues.

So from another random lurker, good job on this big step Benny, but keep fighting for a better life.

edit: about being a writer, one thing my English profs have always stressed to would-be writers is keeping up the writing every goddamned day, even if it's just for 15 minutes, and even if you can't think of anything to write about but the lovely day you had at work. Keep a little notebook everywhere you go, write down every good idea, weird idea, unique turn of phrase you hear, etc. Maybe you're doing all that stuff, but just thought I'd share that. The key, it seems, is to start looking at every aspect of life as a potential inspiration for your craft, and be somewhat methodical about it.

Fugue Stater fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 5, 2013

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

So this is some kind of "Dark Brotherhood" kind of thing? Honestly I would hope that said posters would have better things to do than to red tag my rear end if x doesn't happen. I mean I understand out of spite; I'm a spiteful little SOB myself. But this is putting way to much time and effort.

Anyway, good news everyone! I have a job interview! My employment agency put a word into a local insurance company who needs an editor to go through all their documentation. Interview is at 11AM Monday. I'll have my clothes and my interview skills ready by then. Here's hoping this is the one.

Well good job on getting an interview I guess. But I'm curious what type of insurance agency (local I presume?) needs an editor? I mean I'd presume they aren't looking for gramatical type edits but legal type things? I'd presume that comes with a great deal of responsibility both finanically and legally. Lets here about it when you get back from the interview today!

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

Honestly I would hope that said posters would have better things to do than to red tag my rear end if x doesn't happen.

Dude you seriously need to stop using "said" as an adjective. It makes you look like such a loving tool. You're not a British lawyer; cut that poo poo out.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

That is not all that unusual for Americans to say, you should probably calm yourself a little. Dude's grammar and spelling problems were a bigger deal than some slightly less common word usage, and nobody gives a poo poo about those either when it comes to retail jobs and so forth.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Arch Stanton posted:

Dude you seriously need to stop using "said" as an adjective. It makes you look like such a loving tool. You're not a British lawyer; cut that poo poo out.
This is like the weirdest thing to be nitpicky on, I know plenty of people who have used said in that fashion. Said people are americans. Would you prefer aforesaid?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

This is like the weirdest thing to be nitpicky on, I know plenty of people who have used said in that fashion. Said people are americans. Would you prefer aforesaid?

It's one of those annoying things like "whilst" that Internet PeopleŽ use over and over again to try to look intelligent. You get away with it a time or two but when it's a staple of your writing it gets annoying and makes you look like you're trying way too hard, unless you're a British lawyer or something.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Arch Stanton posted:

It's one of those annoying things like "whilst" that Internet PeopleŽ use over and over again to try to look intelligent. You get away with it a time or two but when it's a staple of your writing it gets annoying and makes you look like you're trying way too hard, unless you're a British lawyer or something.

No, "trying way too hard" is pointing to the OP's alleged misuse of "such" as an example of his crimes against grammar.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Sir John Falstaff posted:

No, "trying way too hard" is pointing to the OP's alleged misuse of "such" as an example of his crimes against grammar.

Said word was said not such. Said point is such, as said: don't use said as such.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

You are being weird. It is not like "whilst." This derail is stupid.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I got five weeks worth of Ability samples from the good doctor on Saturday and I've been taking them since. I can't really say there's an overall improvement outside of no major mood swings. But I know that this is an ongoing thing. By the way; is Abilify like Benadryl? I get really drowsy while on it.

My interview was today; it was at a local insurance company that sells insurance to retirees. They need someone to go through the applications to edit and spell check. I answered questions directly and confidentially. I also asked questions appropriate to the job like hours and health insurance. Hours start at 20 a week, go up to 40 during open release in October, then taper back off to 20 in December. It's a temp position so the work ends by the end of this year. Hopefully I'll get a call back.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 6, 2013

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Benny the Snake posted:

I answered questions directly and confidentially.

Did you whisper?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Benny, brain drugs take awhile to kick in. Antidepressants notoriously take at least six weeks; I don't know about antipsychotics. For the next few weeks, though, don't put yourself under a microscope; it takes longer than that for the drug to build up to therapeutic levels in your body. It's not like taking aspirin.

Good luck with the job.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Benny the Snake posted:

I can't really say there's an overall improvement outside of no major mood swings.
Bit of an aside, but the writing in your posts is subtly better. Do you have any interest in weekly writing exercises? There's a thread in Creative Conventions called Thunderdome which is focused on unusual prompts, low word caps (like 1K-1.6K) and actually useful feedback (No hugbox poo poo). Example: Last round was for <1K words of combination cyberpunk-blaxploitation. Still waiting on judge feedback, though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Accretionist posted:

Bit of an aside, but the writing in your posts is subtly better. Do you have any interest in weekly writing exercises? There's a thread in Creative Conventions called Thunderdome which is focused on unusual prompts, low word caps (like 1K-1.6K) and actually useful feedback (No hugbox poo poo). Example: Last round was for <1K words of combination cyberpunk-blaxploitation. Still waiting on judge feedback, though.

This sounds really cool and you should do this.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Benny the Snake posted:

My interview was today; it was at a local insurance company that sells insurance to retirees. They need someone to go through the applications to edit and spell check. I answered questions directly and confidentially.

I really want you to get a job and I'm rooting for you, but picturing you in this position is hilarious.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress da Mods posted:

I really want you to get a job and I'm rooting for you, but picturing you in this position is hilarious.

Considering how much poo poo Benny's gotten in this thread for his spelling and word gaffes, I imagine he'll probably dial it in for an actual paying job. Failing that, at least we know his interview manner is both direct AND confidential, you know Secret Service style.

Seriously, hope you get it, Benny.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Benny the Snake posted:

is Abilify like Benadryl? I get really drowsy while on it.

No, they are two different classes. But drowsiness is a possible side effect of both.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Abilify might as well be speed from what I've read/heard about it but it made me tired too. Maybe you're one of those people who has the opposite effect happen when they take certain pills. Which sucks bigtime in some cases, one of which being psychotropic drugs. Morphine type drugs for example will amp me up unbelievably while it makes most people tired. (I learned this fact right after surgery when they had to pretty much sedate me insensible with valium because the pain medicine had me so geeked I was trying to clean my room and couldn't stay in bed.) Once you get used to the drugs you'll know better I think. If something is going to react badly with you, you'll know, believe me. Keep it up, your body will build a tolerance to the side effects and it won't make you as tired after a while.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

My interview was today; it was at a local insurance company that sells insurance to retirees. They need someone to go through the applications to edit and spell check. I answered questions directly and confidentially. I also asked questions appropriate to the job like hours and health insurance. Hours start at 20 a week, go up to 40 during open release in October, then taper back off to 20 in December. It's a temp position so the work ends by the end of this year. Hopefully I'll get a call back.

By Open Release you mean Open Season, correct? Also, I've never heard of anyone changing/editting an application form. I'm pretty confidential that is legally questionable. What kind of edits would you be making?

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
If you go to Abilify's website, there is a link to https://www.abilifyassistprogram.com/ so there you go as far as cost assistance, if you haven't already (I bet you haven't.)

^^^placing bets on "open enrollment"^^^

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well I didn't get the job (and yes, it was open enrollment). They explained they found someone else who had more office experience than I did. Something tells me that if I fought for it, I'd probably have it. But my agency is still looking for work for me. In the meanwhile, I'm still writing out resumes and cover letters.

I just realized something: I love writing movie reviews and pop culture articles on my blog. How can I make money off of this? I've been trying to find an editorial internship for the longest time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Benny the Snake posted:

I just realized something: I love writing movie reviews and pop culture articles on my blog. How can I make money off of this? I've been trying to find an editorial internship for the longest time.
Lo, Blogs For Bucks: I Got 99 Blogs But Male Enhancement Ain't One!

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I didn't get the job (and yes, it was open enrollment). They explained they found someone else who had more office experience than I did. Something tells me that if I fought for it, I'd probably have it. But my agency is still looking for work for me. In the meanwhile, I'm still writing out resumes and cover letters.

What do you mean if you had fought for the it that you thought you would have had it? Do you mean something you didn't do that you wish you had in the interview, or do you mean fighting for it when they called to tell you that the more experienced candidate got the job? Because the latter seems highly unlikely.

Sorry to hear you didn't land the position though.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

I'm pretty confidential that is legally questionable.

This has not gotten nearly enough love.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

Honestly, monetary compensation for something like blogging is only going to be really worth it to you if a) you can publish some form of content daily, b) you work your rear end off to promote it (Facebook,Twiter, Pinterest, et all), or c) your reviews are good enough to get earmarked by a local or reginal publication that might be interested in publishing your work.

Post a link to your review blog? I can't speak for others but I'd like to read it. :ohdear:

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

toby posted:

You are being weird. It is not like "whilst." This derail is stupid.

You...you...you British Lawyer!!! :argh:

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

That drat Satyr posted:

Honestly, monetary compensation for something like blogging is only going to be really worth it to you if a) you can publish some form of content daily, b) you work your rear end off to promote it (Facebook,Twiter, Pinterest, et all), or c) your reviews are good enough to get earmarked by a local or reginal publication that might be interested in publishing your work.

Post a link to your review blog? I can't speak for others but I'd like to read it. :ohdear:

Some bloggers churn out pretty weak content (in my opinion) but since they are disciplined enough to do it at least daily, as you point out, they can make real money. Most don't, but some make some nice walking-around money for using blogger to schedule posts about workouts, shoes and smoothies. Benny, read that thread in BFC; it may be really helpful to you.

Lord of teh Rapes
Jan 7, 2013

räpkultur
Benny it's good you're trying to fix your life but keep in mind the trials of other e/n denizens. If the problem is that you're really a transwoman those meds could keep you from realizing it. (also Iron Man 3 was not a good movie)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord of teh Rapes posted:

Benny it's good you're trying to fix your life but keep in mind the trials of other e/n denizens. If the problem is that you're really a transwoman those meds could keep you from realizing it. (also Iron Man 3 was not a good movie)

SomethingSensitive.com strikes again!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

Well instead I'll link to a few of my Cinema Discusso threads (archived):

My treatise against "The Avengers"

June Movie of the Month: "Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai"

September Movie of the Month: "Man on Fire"

December Movie of the Month: "It's a Wonderful Life"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dude if you can't maintain a monthly schedule for movie of the month, you're not going to be a blogger.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

So you have nothing posted on the Internet that isn't archived and requires a $10 up charge*? Are you LowTax's bastard child?

* besides posted stuff that you didn't want posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sigma-X posted:

Dude if you can't maintain a monthly schedule for movie of the month, you're not going to be a blogger.
Ugh, that was just a sample of my writing.

EDIT: Bad idea.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 8, 2013

• Locked thread