Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

sofullofhate posted:

TRIGGER PULLED ON Z4M :getin:

Delivery Tuesday. :fap:

I'm jealous as gently caress. Congrats and post pics/vids/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Kenny Rogers posted:

I think part of the beauty of this shot is the evidence of *not* growing up, only older... =)

I have every intention of owning a mint M3 of every generation (ignoring the M4, because it is an abomination unto BMW M GmbH, or whichever god you choose to pray to)

Edit: not mint colored cars, mind...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Confused_Donkey posted:

I'm on here every day, just don't post much. Lemme know the next time you are in town.

Will do. I need to pick up a client up there

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because pretty much every thing I have been running is using Rotella....

I was thinking about putting Rotella T6 in my E60 550i. I did some reading and it looks like it cant hurt anything for a shorter oil change, plus all the extra detergents would do good for my motor.

Any reason why I SHOULDN'T do this?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

TRIGGER PULLED ON Z4M :getin:

Delivery Tuesday. :fap:

Grats! Come back with pictures and :words:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Because pretty much every thing I have been running is using Rotella....

I was thinking about putting Rotella T6 in my E60 550i. I did some reading and it looks like it cant hurt anything for a shorter oil change, plus all the extra detergents would do good for my motor.

Any reason why I SHOULDN'T do this?

Don't the anti-wear additives in diesel oil kill catalytic converters? I know that ZDDP does.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well I have been using it in my Rover and its completely fine.... and it has 2 cats.

But its also dependent on if your engine has massive amounts of blow by too. But I would rather shell out 1000 bucks on a cat then 4500-5000 or how ever much a replacement N62 would cost.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I thought the engines were pretty reliable on API SM oils--I wouldn't recommend BMW's service intervals, of course. When I had the M3 I changed the oil when the service countdown was half done, 6,000 to 7,500 miles. Of course this was with the ridiculous 10W-60 oil that they specified.

I don't see the Rotella hurting the engine, heck I run it in my 68 Mercury, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? I just don't see much benefit in changing other than the reduced price of the Rotella. If one cat goes out, you've lost that advantage.

That's about the only reason I can think of for not running it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

Don't the anti-wear additives in diesel oil kill catalytic converters? I know that ZDDP does.

ZDDP in excessive amounts does, and used to be in "gasoline" motor oils as well (and still it to some extent). There isn't enough in there to kill a cat unless you've got massive blow by or no valve guide seals left.

The reason he and many of us are running it is BECAUSE of the ZDDP content. There just isn't enough for a flat tappet motor in a LOT of things that are plenty new to have cats.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

That's why my Mercury 390FE drinks Rotella or Delo, whichever's cheaper. The N62 isn't flat-tappet, though, so I don't know if it would make a positive difference.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The main reason you would want to run Rotella in an engine like this is for the increased detergents, which might help clear up something like lifter tick or some light sludge/deposits. I don't know how effective it would be, frankly, but I can't see it being too harmful to the engine or its associated systems...certainly not if you run it every once in a (long) while.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I do have a lifter that is a little noisy.

But I instead got Mobil 1 Advanced 5w-20 5 qt jug on sale at Walmart for 22... not a bad deal if you ask me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So I'm looking at a ZHP 330i. Emailed the dude the usual "do you have maintenance recs and are you willing to let me take it to a shop for a PPI?"

He replied yes to the maint recs but said he was uncomfortable with me taking it to a shop without giving him some money but replied with:

quote:

My son works at BMW of San Diego. They can do a 120 point inspection if that would work for you.

I'm a little turned off that he wouldn't let me take it to a shop of my choice, but I suppose this is an ok option. Is there any way this is just a way to screw me over? I mean, it's an official BMW dealer so they wouldn't be sheisty would they?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ask him to take it to the PPI shop of your choice that is near him and meet him there. You are paying for the inspection and you are not going to stab/rape him and drive the car into Mexico. He also can get a copy of the report that he can use in his ad if you end up passing on the car.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

GrAviTy84 posted:

So I'm looking at a ZHP 330i. Emailed the dude the usual "do you have maintenance recs and are you willing to let me take it to a shop for a PPI?"

He replied yes to the maint recs but said he was uncomfortable with me taking it to a shop without giving him some money but replied with:

I'm a little turned off that he wouldn't let me take it to a shop of my choice, but I suppose this is an ok option. Is there any way this is just a way to screw me over? I mean, it's an official BMW dealer so they wouldn't be sheisty would they?
If you're not local, I suppose you could offer to have *him* take it to the shop of your choice for the PPI - Get in touch with the shop ahead of time, so they know you're paying, and to shelter the results from the current owner, etc.

e:f/b

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That. If he's not willing to do that, he is probably hiding something. I had zero issues taking my old ZHP to a well-known BMW shop when I sold it, I even took a half day off work and did the sale right after it was inspected.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think you've misunderstood him. You've asked if you can take his car for half a day without having any insurance or offering to leave any deposit in case of theft/damage. He's said "gently caress off". He is correct to do so.

You nominate a PPI; if it's one that comes out, they go to the seller's place. If not, you ask the seller to take the car to your PPI place in their time. Make sure the seller doesn't see the report. That's your leverage, you paid for it. Arrange with the inspector in advance if necessary.

If they still say "No", and won't use your PPI at all (even though you're paying), walk away.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 5, 2013

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

Koirhor posted:

Anyone have good things to say about Dr.Colorchip? I got a nice half pencil eraser size chip on my driver side bumper. Sigh...

Yes. The stuff is absolutely awesome. Take a look at http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1737704-Paint-chips-Professional-or-Kit

Skip to the last post. Those are before and after shots of part of my hood.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lost the crank pulley on the LCI 335 diesel... ~$500 dollar part - jesus christ. 2300mi out of factory warranty - nice.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Random question - how much does a set of used, good condition wheels typically go for as a fraction of the new price? I'm looking for another set of style 135s for my ZHP and have no idea what a reasonable price would be. I'm sure I'll figure it out after watching Craigslist for a bit, but any good starting guesses?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How terrible are mid to high mileage E39 M5s to run?

EDIT: Do they really have clutch type LSDs from the factory?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 6, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its definitely going to be higher costs, plus the usual wear items. But a well looked after ride shouldn't be to god awful to keep in service.

Definitely have a secondary means to get around though unless you have some deep pockets. Budget around 3-3500 a year.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
They are getting cheap near me. Not THAT much more than ZHPs. They tend to have lower mileage than a ZHP too.

But on the other hand, tires/clutches/brakes will be hilariously expensive. And I'm not convinced that much car will be fun to drive on the street. Is the gearing on the long or short side? Youtube seems to show it reaching about 63mph in second. Which seems ok. I like shifting, so super tall gears would annoy me.

(Must stop thinking about an M5)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've seen 5 year maintenance logs on various sites for E39 M5's hitting $18k+ so keep that in mind.......the $3.5k per year will add up.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Ziploc posted:

They are getting cheap near me. Not THAT much more than ZHPs. They tend to have lower mileage than a ZHP too.

But on the other hand, tires/clutches/brakes will be hilariously expensive. And I'm not convinced that much car will be fun to drive on the street. Is the gearing on the long or short side? Youtube seems to show it reaching about 63mph in second. Which seems ok. I like shifting, so super tall gears would annoy me.

Where I am at too. Im having a hard time not looking into e46 M3s, e39 M5s, and C5 Z06s. They are all so fast and cheap. On that topic, how does keeping an e39 M5 running compare to an E46 M3? My parents have had an M3 for a while and its been pretty cheap to them.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I drove an E39 M5 for an extended test drive back before I started the hunt for the E36 M3. After 45 minutes I was pretty convinced that it's a perfect car for Alex Roy to haul rear end across the country in, but would be terrible for pretty much everything else.

Pulling a Boomerjinks with a blue one marked up as Polizei or Guardia Civil as a daily driver might be kind of fun for a year or so, though.

Thus far in my life, my favorite car has been my E36/4. If I could get it in a wagon, it'd be perfect. Fast enough, and drives like it's on rails.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 6, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This post is confusing:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3963169760.html

5 speed ZHP? seems weird. Why is there no tach on the dial panel? I texted to ask if it was manual and they confirmed... strange.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GrAviTy84 posted:

This post is confusing:

5 speed ZHP? seems weird. Why is there no tach on the dial panel? I texted to ask if it was manual and they confirmed... strange.

That's not a BMW dash.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GrAviTy84 posted:

This post is confusing:

ZHP also didn't exist before 2003. I'd take "ZHP trim package" as "I installed ZHP visual bits in a few places".

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
She probably grabbed the wrong pic for her ad, email her. Looks like someone had added a chinese ZHP bumper and rims...not a show stopper at all since most of the folks that did that had them painted at good shops and bought the rims from a reputable source.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

wolrah posted:

ZHP also didn't exist before 2003. I'd take "ZHP trim package" as "I installed ZHP visual bits in a few places".

This man knows.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

She sent me the VIN and this is what came up on the VIN decoder site:

quote:

Type code AV53
Type 330I (USA)
E series E46 (4)
Series 3
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine M54
Displacement 3.00
Power 170
Drive HECK
Transmission MECH
Colour TOPASBLAU METALLIC (364)
Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/SCHWARZ (N6SW)
Prod.date 2001-06-18
Close Options
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S210A DYNAMISCHE STAB. CONTROL (DSC) Dynamic stability control
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S255A SPORT-LEDERLENKRAD Sports leather steering wheel
S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S438A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
S465A DURCHLADESYSTEM Through-loading system
S481A SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Sports seat
S488A LORDOSENSTUETZE FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S502A SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE Headlight cleaning system
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S640A AUTOTELEFONVORBEREITUNG Preparation f tel.installation universal
S674A HIFI-SYSTEM HARMAN/KARDON Hi-Fi system Harman Kardon
S692A CD WECHSLER I-BUS VORBEREITUNG Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S715A M AERODYNAMIKPAKET M Aerodynamics package
S788A M LEICHTMETALLRAEDER BMW LA wheel, Individual
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack
S926A ERSATZRAD Spare wheel
Close Standard equipment
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Windscreen, green-tinted upper strip
S411A FENSTERHEBER,ELEKTRISCH VORN/HINTEN Window lifts,electric,front/rear
S470A KINDERSITZBEFESTIGUNG ISOFIX Isofix-System
S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
S550A BORDCOMPUTER On-board computer
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S661A RADIO BMW BUSINESS Radio BMW Business (C43)
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S832A BATTERIE IM KOFFERRAUM Battery in luggage compartment
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version, English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment

I think this is a sports package maybe, not really sure though as there are a lot of :words: there, and the wood trim was a premium package thing I thought. I do know that she's over valuing it quite a bit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ziploc posted:

Ratios are the same as the non-M E39 540i Getrag. It's pretty much the same trans. I can ballpark confirm the redline; the cool thing about 0-60's in E39's is that you only need one shift.

Even my 540i has a _ridiculous_ power band. I can go 20 in fourth, or 90. Coming from an e36 5 speed, it basically felt like the E39's fourth was the E36's third, and so on. I do keep it out of 6th unless I'm doing a good solid 75mph though. I know the final drive on M5's is different, so take the speedo quotes with a grain of salt, but you get the idea.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I know a bunch of people have asked me about this in years past, but is anyone interested in doing the Virginia City Hillclimb in NV this year? I've been working on getting the word out in various places, in years past it's been kind of an exclusionary event (yes, most Ferrari owners are assholes) but the event is open to all makes now, the rule now simply states that the car needs to be "high performance" to enter. I'm pretty sure most if not all M cars qualify, and we've had all kinds of things, evos, E30 M3s, old porsches and everything in between.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know a BMW tech? I can't find poo poo for info on the internet about replacing the crank pulley / 'harmonic balancer'. The part is $500-600 from shopping around online and shops are quoting $900-1300 for part/labor. I want to know if this thing is held on by just the four torx bolts and it'd be an easy job or if - somehow - it's more involved and would lead me to shoot myself.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

GrAviTy84 posted:

She sent me the VIN and this is what came up on the VIN decoder site:

I think this is a sports package maybe, not really sure though as there are a lot of :words: there, and the wood trim was a premium package thing I thought. I do know that she's over valuing it quite a bit.

That's definitely not a ZHP.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rscott posted:

It's drained the expansion tank pretty much to the bottom a couple of times and I haven't let it get lower than that since I really don't want to truly cook the thing.

So an update on this: Coolant loss seems to be RPM dependent. If I wring it out a bit and run in 3rd gear on the highway (3k-3500 RPM or so) I go from a full tank to the coolant light coming on in about 20-30 minutes of driving. If I really baby it and keep the RPMs around 2200 max the coolant loss seems much less, to the point where I've driven 3 days so far and the light has not come on yet. Friend of mine thinks it's the water pump so when it cools down a little bit I'm going to change the water pump and do the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, adjust the valves, etc.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone know a BMW tech? I can't find poo poo for info on the internet about replacing the crank pulley / 'harmonic balancer'. The part is $500-600 from shopping around online and shops are quoting $900-1300 for part/labor. I want to know if this thing is held on by just the four torx bolts and it'd be an easy job or if - somehow - it's more involved and would lead me to shoot myself.

I just done that job on my manual e46 320d. I had just one bolt, to crack it off I needed a flywheel locking kit, as there was too much slack in the trans to do it without - it is on very tight. Very straightforward, I reused the bolt but I'm not sure if that was correct - you may need a new one. Belts were a piece of piss.

I found a place on eBay that sold locking kits of £90 and rented them for less.

Check the TIS for your car, the one for mine was quite useful.

May be your car: linky

Obviously your car is a newer 6 cyl and probably an auto so YMMV. I'm certainly glad my pulley was much cheaper!

Edit: TIS link. I did want to kill myself doing this job without the locking kit, but with it, easy.

Edit2: This is the tool I used, also fits your engine.

stump fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 6, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

Even my 540i has a _ridiculous_ power band. I can go 20 in fourth, or 90. Coming from an e36 5 speed, it basically felt like the E39's fourth was the E36's third, and so on. I do keep it out of 6th unless I'm doing a good solid 75mph though. I know the final drive on M5's is different, so take the speedo quotes with a grain of salt, but you get the idea.

Its downright scary as to the M62's ability to place the power where needed. I have said it before and I will say it again, the E39 540i is about the best car to do everything. Its comfortable enough for the open road, still carve a twisty road, and play stop light racer on the streets.

I have been looking at Range Rovers with the BMW M62 in it, and really for a heavy truck (5500 - empty weight), its quite speedy. Not a rocket ship, but feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its downright scary as to the M62's ability to place the power where needed. I have said it before and I will say it again, the E39 540i is about the best car to do everything. Its comfortable enough for the open road, still carve a twisty road, and play stop light racer on the streets.
"540i" has become my first port if call lately when bored on eBay. In the UK you can pick up an auto one for £1000 plus. Unfortunately manuals in good nick start to rise the into e36 M3 price range.