Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Ruddha posted:

Not a SJW myself, but alas: I could not possibly force myself to play this game. A lot of it seems very fun and cool; however, the way a lot of the women look makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it, because it's so messed up to my mind to draw a cartoon person that looks that way. The reason is my mind doesn't like hypersexualized drawings or renderings, even a best selling hentai wouldn't be able to change my mind, because my brain sees it immediately as being creepy and weird as hell. I hope everyone who buys it has a bigtime good experience playing the game, I just simply couldn't do it myself. Thank you very much for reading my post today.

I'm sorry the average female form makes you "uncomfortable" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

blat blat blat posted:

Thank you for being considerate to my feelings and opinions.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blat blat blat posted:

He's joking bro. I know its hard to tell with this thread but...

Ambrosia
Jul 25, 2013

Ruddha posted:

Not a SJW myself, but alas: I could not possibly force myself to play this game. A lot of it seems very fun and cool; however, the way a lot of the women look makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it, because it's so messed up to my mind to draw a cartoon person that looks that way. The reason is my mind doesn't like hypersexualized drawings or renderings, even a best selling hentai wouldn't be able to change my mind, because my brain sees it immediately as being creepy and weird as hell. I hope everyone who buys it has a bigtime good experience playing the game, I just simply couldn't do it myself. Thank you very much for reading my post today.

Hahahahahaha. I'm guessing you're being ironic here and joking about the other posters in this thread :cheeky:
In all seriousness, its understandable and well within people's rights to not want to play this game because the artstyle and the fanservice creeps them out and takes away from their enjoyment of the game, but on the other hand, do we really need to listen to this for 20 pages?

We understand it, but some of us don't care and, hell, maybe some of us even like it! (And who are we to judge them, its not like its harming anyone). I just wish we could talk more about the game instead.

Speaking of which, odds on this being released on PC? I'm itching for a brawler like this, but D&D wasn't very fun to me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vanillaware, like most small Japanese console/portable developers, is deathly terrified of computers.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Alteisen posted:

He's joking bro. I know its hard to tell with this thread but...

Jesus, yeah.... it really is hard to tell..

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
The chances of this ending up on PC are non-existent. Japanese developers don't really make PC games.

Ambrosia
Jul 25, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Vanillaware, like most small Japanese console/portable developers, is deathly terrified of computers.

:(
At least that trend is changing, fortunately. Square Enix seems to be heading in a direction to port their FF's and KH's to PC and then there's Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Here's another one of those comics.

And the sorceress making an apple VANISH.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alteisen posted:

Good ol' Odin Sphere eating.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

Fighter used Attract!

Third panel: It's super effective!
Fourth panel: Maybe a little bit too effective...

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Found a setting that everyone should toggle on in the options: Set HP Gauge to "Show", it's set to "Hide" by default. With the game being so drat colorful and artsy, it can be difficult to keep track of where you are on the screen when things get hectic. The HP Gauge option places a small health bar under each character on the screen. Player character health bars are different colors based on which player slot they are in (P1 is red, P2 blue, and so on), and all NPC health bars are purple.

These health bars are really easy to pick out even when there are lots of enemies on the screen, and should help you keep track of what the hell you're doing even on a busy screen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Come on guys, the Giant Bomb thread managed to hold on to its 4-bar rating while discussing the quick look and it was the Worst Thread in Games for a while.

Policenaut posted:

Good ol' Odin Sphere eating.

You have to stay still for heals right? Are there heal spells or a heal-over-time food or mechanic in the game?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Come on guys, the Giant Bomb thread managed to hold on to its 4-bar rating and it was the Worst Thread in Games for a while.

You have to stay still for heals right? Are there heal spells or a heal-over-time food or mechanic in the game?

There's only food; you have to stay still for a few seconds for your character to begin eating. There are also healing potions, which root you temporarily, have a CD, and heal you for a percentage of your max HP. Food can take you to a total of 150% of your max hp, and you can carry 5 pieces of food at a time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How common are healing powerups in the field? Do you have to think way ahead regarding your hit points?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Samurai Sanders posted:

How common are healing powerups in the field? Do you have to think way ahead regarding your hit points?

Not if you don't get hit. :smug:

Actually i'd love to know how common healing items are too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thievery posted:

Not if you don't get hit. :smug:

Actually i'd love to know how common healing items are too.
If its anything like other side scrolling beatemups, not being hit is just impossible thanks to the sheer volume of enemies that don't hitstun. Is that the case here too?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Healing items (food, potions don't drop in dungeons) are decently common, but enemies in harder difficulties do a LOT of damage so you still need to be careful. You can certainly dodge most things if you pay attention and don't get confused by the tons of stuff going onscreen. However, you do likely need to pick up the increased evasion skill if you want to dodge most things. Hitstun is dependent on the amount of damage you take in proportion to your max hp in my experience, so sometimes it's fine just to wail away if you have a sorceress with protect or something.

There's also rune magic that can heal you and other tons of useful things as well.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 6, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Food drops from enemies and chests, and you have to stand still to eat it. It allows you to go above your default HP, although your default HP will reach 999 if you have level 6 Hit Point Up at 99. There's also a skill, Gold Healing, which will heal you for picking up items. It's also possible to carry healing potions, although they have a limited use and can't be replenished if you're chaining dungeons, unless you have multiples in different bags.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

This seriously looked to me for a second like she was pulling it out of her mouth.

djDAUCHbot
May 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

This seriously looked to me for a second like she was pulling it out of her mouth.

cannot unsee, Sorceress must have an unhinging jaw or something

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

SoggyGravy posted:

Is this a midnight EST US release or one of them 1pm things?

It's past midnight Eastern and the game is not up on PSN. I wouldn't expect it to show up at midnight Pacific, but you never know.

update: no game at midnight Pacific either. See you tomorrow.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 6, 2013

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Megalixir posted:

Food drops from enemies and chests, and you have to stand still to eat it. It allows you to go above your default HP, although your default HP will reach 999 if you have level 6 Hit Point Up at 99. There's also a skill, Gold Healing, which will heal you for picking up items. It's also possible to carry healing potions, although they have a limited use and can't be replenished if you're chaining dungeons, unless you have multiples in different bags.

There is rune magic that replenishes one item use in your bag, but I wouldn't count on it.

Generally my equipment breaks long before I run out of potions though, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're terrible at dodging.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm a bit confused on how online/co-op is supposed to work here so it is best to ask before launch.

I'm imagining it's drop in drop out co-op where I have my story/campaign then I can just click on Online play when I want to and I'm playing with 3 other players going through where I left off with my character. Is it like that? Sorry if I'm a little vague. Specifics would be appreciated.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If I'm playing multiplayer coop, do I really need to use the right analog stick? Other people can open the chests and trigger things for the whole group, right? I'd rather play the game with my fight stick most of the time for the arcade brawler feel.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm a bit confused on how online/co-op is supposed to work here so it is best to ask before launch.

I'm imagining it's drop in drop out co-op where I have my story/campaign then I can just click on Online play when I want to and I'm playing with 3 other players going through where I left off with my character. Is it like that? Sorry if I'm a little vague. Specifics would be appreciated.

It's not quite like that; in the Inn you can set slots to join on/off, which naturally lets people or npcs join automatically. You can't change that setting once you're actually in a dungeon. You can set up a party with NPCs and leave join off as well, to just go with computer allies and disallow people. When you go to the stables or gate, it'll ask you if you want to go online, and then you can choose to allow or disallow people as well. You can't save progress in dungeons, you either finish it or you don't; however you can leave the dungeon at any time and it will save any loot/exp/gold you earned as well as any quests you finish.

Good Citizen posted:

If I'm playing multiplayer coop, do I really need to use the right analog stick? Other people can open the chests and trigger things for the whole group, right? I'd rather play the game with my fight stick most of the time for the arcade brawler feel.

No, other people can open doors/use runes/pick locks as they will. Obviously if you're the sole human you'll have to do all of that yourself though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RoyalScion posted:

It's not quite like that; in the Inn you can set slots to join on/off, which naturally lets people or npcs join automatically. You can't change that setting once you're actually in a dungeon. You can set up a party with NPCs and leave join off as well, to just go with computer allies and disallow people. When you go to the stables or gate, it'll ask you if you want to go online, and then you can choose to allow or disallow people as well. You can't save progress in dungeons, you either finish it or you don't; however you can leave the dungeon at any time and it will save any loot/exp/gold you earned as well as any quests you finish.
So, in effect, how long is each multiplayer session going to be? I'm a fan of short co-op sessions with a known goal like Dark Souls and stuff have, rather than ones that just go on forever. Is it like that?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, in effect, how long is each multiplayer session going to be? I'm a fan of short co-op sessions with a known goal like Dark Souls and stuff have, rather than ones that just go on forever. Is it like that?

Dungeons are anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on how good/terrible your party is and natural dungeon length variance.

However, the longer you chain dungeons, the more bonuses you get (e.g. extra score, better grade loot, more gold).

EDIT: As an added note, I'll probably be playing my Fighter tomorrow, so if anybody wants some co-op action add RoyalScion on PSN.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 6, 2013

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

"SJW" stuff aside, I probably wouldn't have even cared about this game if there was anything else on the vita. Since there isn't though, fellow game thirsty vita owners feel free to add me on PSN, name is EffEmmEll. I want to try out Amazon, fighter and sorc so even if you're just unlocking the multi feel free to msg me. Also, does the game support voice chat on vita?

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
So is there any sort of skill list or build calculator floating around out there, yet? Is it worth the bother even looking for one or is it just Borderlands 1 style "Do X more damage with this one attack/weapon" type thing?

Edit: nevermind found one

Death Cube K fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 6, 2013

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Alteisen posted:

I think the best part of the first comic has to do with some of the small details. For instance, the Sorceress' hat standing tall when it's sometimes a little floppy.

Also, the dwarf. He just wins.

Kyfow
Aug 5, 2013
Is there anyone here from the eastern hemisphere that plays the game? I bought my copy from a videogameplus, waiting for it to ship to my little corner of the world, and I'm wondering if you can play with other europeans, or americans, without a whole lot of lag. Really excited to play the DUWARFU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

rizuhbull posted:

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what?"

One of the few things "Creating Awareness" actually can and have fixed is products, especially media products. The more people raise a stink about this the less likely a producer is going to make the same mistake in the future. You see this all the time in movies on how they treat women now vs. then (it's incremental and imperfect, but it's real)

In short, if this gets enough outrage, you can bet that Vanillaware or any other developer will think twice about including titty monsters in their next title.

Anyhoo, a friend asked if me and my girlfriend wanted to do a double-date with him and his girlfriend. Should be fireworks since my gf is a feminist and his girlfriend is opionatedly anti-feminist? The issue hasn't really come up that often in hanging out, but I suspect now it will.

I'm playing the DWARF cuz I want to pretend to be Gotrek Gurnisson who's axe is "quicker than the eye can follow!"

Kyfow
Aug 5, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

One of the few things "Creating Awareness" actually can and have fixed is products, especially media products. The more people raise a stink about this the less likely a producer is going to make the same mistake in the future. You see this all the time in movies on how they treat women now vs. then (it's incremental and imperfect, but it's real)

In short, if this gets enough outrage, you can bet that Vanillaware or any other developer will think twice about including titty monsters in their next title.

I don't think that japanese devs care that much about controversy in the west. I mean, that whole ordeal with Schreier was unpleasant, but I don't think that vanillaware are going to change their, frankly, established art style due to some minor crackdowns from western press. Especially considering the fact that the game's sales seem to be doing really well.

If anything, I'm pretty sure that the only thing that could happen if some huge outrage were to occur (and sales diminish as a result), is that vanillaware will just drop releasing their games in the west. It's happened with other companies in the past, and it'll save them a lot of money on porting the game.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Serious or comical doesn't really factor into it. A lot of the art is repulsive, literally, as in "something that repels," regardless of its intended tone.

I'm buying this poo poo but yeah, that's a pretty good way to describe the art design.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Outrage is horrible criticism, though. It's the very opposite of constructive criticism. It teaches creators to stay the gently caress away from something a particularly loud group dislikes - or worse, do exactly as that group wishes. It creates superficial, disgusting attempts at pleasing whiny fucks that the whole project suffers from. It's also why "offensive" (or "problematic", for that matter) is an utterly useless word like Stephen Fry says in that quote, because it doesn't EXPLAIN anything, it just signals that you're displeased, as if you expect anyone to give a gently caress about your wild mood swings.

Not that it can't be a valid point. I just don't think anything good can come from outrage. I'm also sure Vanillaware would be much more receptive to honest criticism than outrage - after all, you can appreciate all the art for what it is and still find faults, and any self-respecting artist can understand that. Some of the poses are too ricidulous for the rest of the picture, some drawings too busy or barely recognizable, etc.

...also, still no news of an EU release date? I found nothing. :(

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

...also, still no news of an EU release date? I found nothing. :(

It's an Atlus game, so you're reliant on NISA and it'll be months at least.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm waiting on my copy from Amazon. Add Zombie_boat on ps3!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Thundercracker posted:

One of the few things "Creating Awareness" actually can and have fixed is products, especially media products. The more people raise a stink about this the less likely a producer is going to make the same mistake in the future.

Except since this is a japanese-developed game, their "mistake" was 'Allowing the game to be localized'. They would very much sooner just avoid allowing companies to publish titles in places where people get mad rather than change anything in the game itself if it's doing perfectly fine everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerulily
Dec 28, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Outrage is horrible criticism, though. It's the very opposite of constructive criticism.

pleasing whiny fucks

it doesn't EXPLAIN anything,

as if you expect anyone to give a gently caress about your wild mood swings.

I'm also sure Vanillaware would be much more receptive to honest criticism than outrage

Where do i even start with your problematic analysis of the situation?

it seems to me the message is pretty straightforward and honestly i don't see what having women spread-eagle in distress really adds to the game. unless there is some way you can legitimize it's importance to the game?

it's sad to see an otherwise decent beat-em-up marred by a REALLY terrible artistic decision. mixed with the fact people keep complaining that "the game play matters, not the art" as some sort of attempt to delegitimize our argument while not realizing it actually delegitimizes their own.

• Locked thread