Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GrAviTy84 posted:

crab cake-like fritters, salad nicoise, pasta salad with terragon and capers.

Pan bagnat! I just had that today. Very good.

You could also experiment with different ways for tuna salad or sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I am obsessed with saag. Luckily, it looks pretty simple to make. Toast spices and aromatics, add spinach and wilt it, add main protein and simmer, finish with some fat (coconut milk?). I saw some recipes that add tomato, that seems weird to me. Also, the recipes that add fat at the end use cream not coconut milk. I guess that part is just whatever I feel like. Am I on the right track?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You can use canned tuna in kim chi jjigae, it won't taste really tuna-y either.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-jjigae

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was wondering about beef shank as well, the ones I got were fairly thick cut though. Like at least an inch thick or more. I'd really like to use it in some Chinese cuisine but don't know where to start.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

I am obsessed with saag. Luckily, it looks pretty simple to make. Toast spices and aromatics, add spinach and wilt it, add main protein and simmer, finish with some fat (coconut milk?). I saw some recipes that add tomato, that seems weird to me. Also, the recipes that add fat at the end use cream not coconut milk. I guess that part is just whatever I feel like. Am I on the right track?

Yes. You can also use ghee for the fat. Also, frozen spinach is the best for this dish. I know, sounds crazy, but just try it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Anyone got a good empenada dough recipe? Fillings would be cool too! I was looking at beef or chicken, but I am always down to try new things

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I have no recipes except to say that I've had spicy huitlacoche and cheese stuffed empanadas and they were loving awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found some smoked turkey legs, which is close to a ham hock as I'm gonna get in this country, so I want to make split pea soup. Give me your finest recipe.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I braised some kale and chard last night, and have about a cup and a half of good liquor left over. It's bacon, chicken stock, white wine, dried chili peppers, and garlic liquor, and I sure as hell don't wanna just toss it out. Is there a good use for it, beyond just braising some more greens?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Steam some mussles with that?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Doh004 posted:

Steam some mussles with that?

Yeah definitely this!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That's a really good idea.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
:)

It also made me really want some steamed mussels.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doh004 posted:

:)

It also made me really want some steamed mussels.

Not just you...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I made this teriyaki marinade for a pork tenderloin that uses olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, brown sugar and garlic. When I leave it in the refrigerator overnight in a ziploc bag, the marinade seems to have the fat separate and clump up. Almost like a wax.

I've made this before but I usually don't leave it for that long in the fridge. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it could be my fridge set to too low of a temperature causing the fat to harden. Or if I'm just inexperienced and this is normal. :)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I made this teriyaki marinade for a pork tenderloin that uses olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, brown sugar and garlic. When I leave it in the refrigerator overnight in a ziploc bag, the marinade seems to have the fat separate and clump up. Almost like a wax.

I've made this before but I usually don't leave it for that long in the fridge. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it could be my fridge set to too low of a temperature causing the fat to harden. Or if I'm just inexperienced and this is normal. :)

It's the olive oil solidifying under the cold temperature.
Nothing to worry about.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
So 10 days ago I cut some firm tofu and placed it on some paper towels in the refrigerator to dry it out a bit before cooking.

Unfortunately, I have forgotten about it until now.

It smells fine - so is there any reason not eat it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

Nothing to worry about.

Yeah that just means it's real olive oil. That's a good sign, considering how much mislabeled olive oil is out there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Nothing to worry about.

Thanks. Should I return it to room temperature before cooking? Or heat it up in the microwave for 10 seconds to get it back to a more liquid form? I'm guessing that the oil will de-solidify when it gets warmer.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Where can I buy plain white dinnerware at a reasonable price? Everything on Amazon seems to have gaudy designs, be made of plastic, or cost $20 per plate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Where can I buy plain white dinnerware at a reasonable price? Everything on Amazon seems to have gaudy designs, be made of plastic, or cost $20 per plate.

I had these from a roommate and they've held up for years, seem pretty sturdy especially for the price and it's hard to mess up plain white I guess?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/86287110/

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Restaurant supply stores? Alternatively, thrift stores.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Anyone have a recipe for French Onion Soup? I wanna try doing it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Its pretty easy, slice 4-6 onions (depending on size) and cook in a lot of butter until well caramelized, should take 30-45 minutes. Then deglaze with white wine and/or vermouth and brandy (or port or red wine or whatever really, just watch cooking wine since it sucks and also has a lot of added salt). Add thyme, bay leaf, garlic if you like it, and beef broth (homemade is best, but use canned rather than not making it at all, but bear in mind that some canned broth is very salty). season to taste and cook for a while. Ladle into ovenproof bowls, top with croutons (slice and toast good bread, drizzle with oil, rub with a clove of garlic) and plenty of shredded gruyere cheese, broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.

Soup is fun to make since its so forgiving and responds well to experimentation.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Alternately, you can just make the cheese toast separately and place them on top of your soup. Obviously this isn't ideal... we all want/love that loving crusty-almost-burnt-cheese on the sides of a french onion soup crock, but if your oven is lame (as many home ovens are) or you dont want to gently caress with the broiler (just doing toast is much easier) or a salamander (if you have one of these you probably wouldnt be asking for the recipe) or blowtorch, just make a whole little bunch of toasts and put them on top of your soup after the fact.

The recipe above is pretty standard and solid.. I always like MOOOOREEEE onions, and then it's your personal tastes. You can do chicken if you don't have beef, but white beef stock is more or less the gold standard. Thyme is good sometimes. Sometimes you can do beer instead of wine/brandy. I like Calvados a lot there, too; I make it super Normandy style so it's all about butter/cheese/onions/apples.

As long as you caramelize the onions for five minutes longer than your brain can comprehend (30-45m at least), it should turn out pretty awesome.

e: I will now watch no less than five french onion soup youtubes and post the one I think is most "correct."

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 6, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Crate and Barrel.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

This recipe is a great beginner recipe that looks great and doesn't insult your intelligence. Salting your onions is good. The oven thing is a good trick I've done before. Gruyere is still the way to go though, gently caress cheddar on onion soup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptauy20rLjg

This recipe is alright -- uniform onions are a MAJOR important thing to do, which she didn't really go for. Adding sugar is pretty bullshit. See these onions are halfway cooked halfway burnt. Lame. She doesn't deglaze, she just adds red wine to the soup. LAME. The gruyere is good, but the "broiler" just made them look like underneath my desk after a long day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoCPQurAWVE

Hey, Mrs. Goodfellas, your onions are cut like poo poo. I'm already fast forwarded. Olive oil? gently caress you. Another sugar adder? gently caress you. Okay, onions look pretty good... using sherry and beef stock.. okay nonna..ughh I don't like the big chunks of bread in the soup but that's pretty common. I hate your choice of sharp cheddar but I must respect your reasoning. Your broiled cheese looks lovely. I was going to give you high marks after all, but that cheese sucks. Better than what I was expecting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7iIl9_8UU

Julia Child is and always will be a loving boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsmCEVo3LQ

Also Julia Child's onions are the best, though honestly you (rightly so) will probably not want to tempt fate and let them go as dark as she does, not until you are comfortable with the process.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 6, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Target. Bed bath and beyond. Ace hardware.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I am almost certain this has been answered in the thread's 400 enormous pages, but... 400 pages :stare:.

I want to get back into baking my own bread/doughing my own pizza. I did this all the time in college, and then I hit a really stressful patch in my life where I stopped giving a poo poo entirely. Anyway, the only yeast I ever see in the store is the stuff that comes in the little packets that have about two loaves worth of the stuff. I'm assuming I can probably find larger quantities of yeast at one of the kitchen supply stores around here if I look, but I'm not sure about two things:
First, if it's necessarily worth it to do so, for reasons like shelf life; Second, how hardcore of a container I would need to keep it in. Like, can I get away with a regular rubbermaid bin, or do I need one of those vacuum-seal space capsules for gourmet coffee?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most grocery stores sell jars of yeast near the baking stuff. Refrigerate it after opening, and toss any that's left after 6 months. I write the date on the lid with a sharpie when I open a new jar.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Most grocery stores sell jars of yeast near the baking stuff. Refrigerate it after opening, and toss any that's left after 6 months. I write the date on the lid with a sharpie when I open a new jar.

That is so much less finicky than I was expecting it to be. Thank you.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I buy yeast on the one pound blocks and then chuck it into the freezer, when I need some more I transfer a portion of it into the fridge.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I like instant yeast! But just make sure to make whatever adjustments because it's a different amount from the little packets (active dry).

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Turkeybone posted:

I like instant yeast! But just make sure to make whatever adjustments because it's a different amount from the little packets (active dry).

I've been using this conversion (quoting myself from the bread thread):

contrapants posted:

I read a conversion chart that said 1 part rapid rise = 4/3 part active dry = 2 parts fresh. I've never used fresh yeast, but the rapid rise -> active dry conversion has worked well for me.

If your recipe is measured in yeast packets, one packet = 2 1/4 tsp. That simplifies to 1 rapid rise packet = 1 tbsp active dry yeast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just got my temp controller in the mail. What should I sous vide first?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Steak!

Mostly because I really want to do it but I'm lazy/cheap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a preferred guide for temps/times for puddling several different foods?

edit: VVV oh yeah, forgot about eggs :yum:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 7, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

eggs.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I read the story about the Sansaire kickstarter on Serious Eats this morning and immediately wanted to get one and cook all the eggs. Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lamb shoulder is my favourite thing to sous-vide, sausages, turkey, and pork loin are three other things that are vastly improved sous-vide. Fish is really, really good too.