Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AlmightyBob posted:

No you didn't, the preorder disc didn't have Zelda 1, 2, or Majora's Mask.

That's the Zelda Collector's Edition disc. Which you were able to buy at mass retail because stores liquidated their extra stock of the game for 10 dollars.

Nobody was buying Gamecubes, so every mass seasonal sale those discs were put out for 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Here is an article about Nintendo Australia, looks like they are losing money these days:
http://delimiter.com.au/2013/08/05/nintendo-australia-finances-fall-off-a-cliff/

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

WendigoJohnson posted:

That's the Zelda Collector's Edition disc. Which you were able to buy at mass retail because stores liquidated their extra stock of the game for 10 dollars.

Nobody was buying Gamecubes, so every mass seasonal sale those discs were put out for 10 bucks.

And last time I checked they were going for $60ish too...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AlmightyBob posted:

And last time I checked they were going for $60ish too...

Yeah both Zelda Promotional Discs are pretty pricey right now. However others like Rogue leader, Resident Evil 4, and the other Gamecube Demo discs are all dirt cheap. I Think The Pokémon Jirachi one may be up there in price too, but I got it for like 12 dollars a few months ago.

Mind you most gamecube games are going for a few cents in the gamestops that are still selling them. Like expensive is having to pay 5 dollars for a single game, then again a few have Buy One Get One deals. Twilight Princess and Eternal Darkness may run you 4-6 dollars together.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah, 60 bucks. Not really interested in getting it at that price.

What? For just one game? I can't think of a single other HD re-release that was priced that way. The MGS collection was $60 I think, but that was also three games.

gently caress, I know I hate on Nintendo a lot on this thread, but I really do like the company and its games. It's just that they clearly have no drat clue how the console business works anymore.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

OatmealRaisin posted:

What? For just one game? I can't think of a single other HD re-release that was priced that way. The MGS collection was $60 I think, but that was also three games.
The original MGS HD Collection was $50 and came with 5 games (Metal Gear, MG2, MGS2, 3, Peace Walker) and the newer one is the same price and includes MGS1, MGS VR Missions, and MGS4. It's crazy that Wind Waker is just one game for this price, but the MGS collection is an outlier in what an incredibly good deal it is, and it's one of the most well done HD ports on top of that.

I'll happily buy Wind Waker HD when I can get it for $20 but I'm not paying full price for it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There is talk of a master quest-addon but yeah, 60 bucks for one game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah, for 60 bucks, they could do a lot better. If they did an anthology of the whole series up through Wind Waker, that would definitely move some units. It might bite into some virtual console sales or whatever, but it would be an excellent attention grabber- "Hey, buy the best games of one of our best series for sixty bucks!" is better than "An HD remake of one game that's regarded as pretty good!"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Fifty, but, yeah it is bullshit. Even if it did have a masterquest and tons of extra content, it's an old game. And it's not like they completely re-did everything ala OoT 3D, they just rendered it at 1080p and added a bloom effect.

It's a desperate attempt to fill an empty release schedule and they're gouging people on it. C'mon Nintendo.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Fifty, but, yeah it is bullshit. Even if it did have a masterquest and tons of extra content, it's an old game. And it's not like they completely re-did everything ala OoT 3D, they just rendered it at 1080p and added a bloom effect.

It's a desperate attempt to fill an empty release schedule and they're gouging people on it. C'mon Nintendo.

You do realize games, much less HD remakes are not just a two step process right?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All major retailers have gone back to saying $60.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Space Racist posted:

People are still buying PS3s and 360s in the hundreds of thousands per month, though. Nintendo not knowing what customers want isn't proof that there aren't any customers.

Given the trajectory of consumer electronics over the past few years, there is some argument to be made that the upcoming generation may be the last generation for console hardware as it exists today, but core gamers as a whole aren't going to decide they only want to play stuff like Candy Crush Saga from now on.

Even the original Wii is still selling pretty good all things considered. The Wii U just has a laundry list of problems both as a system and in how it's marketed.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

You do realize games, much less HD remakes are not just a two step process right?

Even so, they're overcharging like crazy. There's quite a lot of market data for HD re-releases of PS2/Xbox/GCN era games, and full new game price for a single remake is way out of line with it.

If I was more cynical I'd say for all the blustering about how bad for the industry the current AAA model is, Nintendo's the one setting an actual troubling precedent here. :v:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OatmealRaisin posted:

gently caress, I know I hate on Nintendo a lot on this thread, but I really do like the company and its games. It's just that they clearly have no drat clue how the console business works anymore.

They actually do know how the console business works. Only problem is they're treating America like they treat the console business in Japan just minus the exclusive stuff the Japanese get.

60 dollars for a single re-issued HD game is perfectly reasonable in the Japanese market. Not only that the Japanese don't really care about HD and internet stuff that much while Americans do. The Sega Ages stuff was usually around 90 bucks or so for a single game. And the Sega Ages re-releases were honestly lacking.

So yeah they really need to get privy to the fact that Americans still want weird rear end Japanese games, want cheap HD collections, and want internet features. All the poo poo that Sony allowed SCEA to control so the PS3 would do well in America after it rebounded.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 6, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pixeltendo posted:

You do realize that other HD re-releases of games from this generation were also not just two step processes, and many have come with more content and/or games, right?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

60 dollars for a single re-issued HD game is perfectly reasonable in the Japanese market. Not only that the Japanese don't really care about HD and internet stuff that much while Americans do. The Sega Ages stuff was usually around 90 bucks or so for a single game. And the Sega Ages re-releases were honestly lacking.

Jesus, I didn't know the Japanese market was such a dystopian hellhole. No wonder western games are getting more and more dominant every day.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pixeltendo posted:

You do realize that almost every HD remake collection released this gen only cost 40 dollars, and usually had AT LEAST two games in the collection?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OatmealRaisin posted:

Jesus, I didn't know the Japanese market was such a dystopian hellhole. No wonder western games are getting more and more dominant every day.

Oh videogames have NOTHING on the Japanese Blu-Ray market. How does 900 dollars for a single Blu-ray set sound?

Business logic is over there, create product in small numbers, sell at highest possible point ever, it's a success if they move all the small number of units at that price. Instead of generating more money by making more product selling it at a cheaper price so they move all units and get more money. They feel that spending money on production is a bad thing, so the less amount of units the less amount of money spent on just producing the physical item. That and the higher the price the bigger status symbol it is or that's how their marketing guys think.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 6, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

You do realize that almost every HD remake collection released this gen only cost 40 dollars, and usually had AT LEAST two games in the collection?

Or was a complete gorgeous remake, like the Halo 1 anniversary edition.

WWHD shouldn't be worth more than 30 dollars and that's with additional goodies. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is just completely unaware of what the 360/PS3 have made standards for the last seven years.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 6, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Heck, outside of Halo, the precedent for single releases of HD Upgrades is even cheaper. Okami? $20, looks every bit as good as anything I've seen from Windwaker HD.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Super Slash posted:

MARKET
THE
GAMES

Infact, market the loving console. I want to see stuff like this on the TV to actually show the console: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

Holy poo poo, Nintendo itself marketed this thing as just a new controller. No wonder so many people were confused

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Halo Anniversary was only $40, right? Fuckin' Halo. Microsoft could have charged whatever the hell they wanted for that. And Nintendo think they can get away with charging full price for, let's face it, one of the more cult favorites in the Zelda series.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Oh videogames have NOTHING on the Japanese Blu-Ray market. How does 900 dollars for a single Blu-ray set sound?

You know, by "set" I thought you were using an antiquated term for a Blu-ray player. :stare:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WendigoJohnson posted:

Isn't this for one of those anime series that has, like, 250 episodes?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WendigoJohnson posted:

Business logic is over there, create product in small numbers, sell at highest possible point ever, it's a success if they move all the small number of units at that price. Instead of generating more money by making more product selling it at a cheaper price so they move all units and get more money. They feel that spending money on production is a bad thing, so the less amount of units the less amount of money spent on just producing the physical item. That and the higher the price the bigger status symbol it is or that's how their marketing guys think.

The thing is, they do "well enough" in Japan that they just don't give a poo poo about any market outside of it. It's a touchy subject among fanboys, who will go above and beyond the usual mental gymnastics to try and defend this garbage. I'm not at all surprised that the same is happening for an overpriced HD release of Wind Waker.

Fulchrum posted:

Nope. Go read this thread, it's enlightening: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370508

A series with that many episodes has actually been priced well over 900 dollars.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 6, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fulchrum posted:

Gundam Wing for Blu-ray is priced at 600 dollars. That's a 50 episode series, and last I heard they aren't even converting the video to 16:9 widescreen.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

It makes me wonder if Nintendo is just completely unaware of what the 360/PS3 have made standards for the last seven years.

If this thread is any indication, yes, they are.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Fulchrum posted:

Heck, outside of Halo, the precedent for single releases of HD Upgrades is even cheaper. Okami? $20, looks every bit as good as anything I've seen from Windwaker HD.
Somehow this post reminded me of the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection and how much rear end it kicked compared to other HD remakes :allears:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

deafmute posted:

Somehow this post reminded me of the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection and how much rear end it kicked compared to other HD remakes :allears:

Ico/SotC and the MGS collection should be the standards to which every HD release should aspire.

poo poo, just have Bluepoint do all the HD releases. They're so good at it.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The HD version of Shadow of the Colossus was pretty horrible, and the HD versions of the MGS games were missing content. Bluepoint is pretty good, but they aren't really on the level of the people behind the DMC collection or the (post-patch) ZoE collection.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And I'm going to throw my hat in for the Sly, Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter collections being the benchmarks of HD collections. In terms of how they look, their value for money, retaining the feeling of the old games, all of that.

I find it odd how Wind Waker HD being a selling point, shows how bad it is for the Wii U. Four years ago, the first HD collection, the God of War Collection, was put out alongside Demon Souls, Uncharted 2, and R&C: A Crack in Time, as a promotional effort for God of War III. Now, a sole game is (arguably) the major attraction for Nintendos console this year.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 6, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The HD version of Shadow of the Colossus was pretty horrible, and the HD versions of the MGS games were missing content. Bluepoint is pretty good, but they aren't really on the level of the people behind the DMC collection or the (post-patch) ZoE collection.

Sorry for the off topic question but could you elaborate on this? What content is missing?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The_Frag_Man posted:

Sorry for the off topic question but could you elaborate on this? What content is missing?

Snake Vs. Monkey, the Vampire Minigame dream, the Salmonella effect to beat The Fear, and all the content made available in Substance and Subsistence.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Snake Vs. Monkey, the Vampire Minigame dream, the Salmonella effect to beat The Fear, and all the content made available in Substance and Subsistence.

Salmonella effect? What?

Also, this is incredibly picky.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Salmonella effect? What?

From the MG Wiki:

An easy stamina kill can be achieved by using rotten or poison food. When The Fear is low on stamina, he will temporarily ignore the battle and search for food. If the player throws rotten or poisonous food out, The Fear will run towards it and eat it, making him vomit a second later, causing him to lose a great deal of stamina.

When passing through Graniny Gorki South, en route to the lab, there are many poison dart frogs that can be shot and killed for use during the battle, along with several fly agaric mushrooms, which can be used to poison The Fear. Throwing a spatsa mushroom at him also causes him to throw up.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Halo Anniversary was only $40, right? Fuckin' Halo. Microsoft could have charged whatever the hell they wanted for that. And Nintendo think they can get away with charging full price for, let's face it, one of the more cult favorites in the Zelda series.

Wait, what. Majora's Mask is a cult favourite, Wind Waker is second only to Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past as most popular Zelda games. $60 is still a hosed price for an HD remake, to be honest anything more than $30 is crazy to me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Wind Waker was a weird choice to do a remake as the toony graphics mean it has aged really well. They should have remade Majora's Mask and boxed in the Ocarina remake as well. I'd buy that for 60 bucks, even though I have both on wii and that master quest gamecube disc.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bobnumerotres posted:

Salmonella effect? What?

Do you expect anything less than nitpicky flaws from a guy who said he thinks the HD remake of the greatest game of all time is "pretty horrible".

Lord Lambeth posted:

Wind Waker was a weird choice to do a remake as the toony graphics mean it has aged really well. They should have remade Majora's Mask and boxed in the Ocarina remake as well. I'd buy that for 60 bucks, even though I have both on wii and that master quest gamecube disc.

The gap between upgrading 6th generation games to HD versus fifth, is gigantic. Only people who are attempting it are Oddworld Inhabitants, and they gave up and just remade it from scratch. You're talking about a level of effort on par with making an entire new Zelda game. Throw in Ocarina of Time HD? 2 Zelda games.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 6, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

That last is completely wrong. There are several things missing but not remotely "all the content." Most of the things missing and missing for good reason. (No Metal Gear Online because it isn't around anymore. No Ape Escape tie-in because Ape Escape is a Sony property and MGSHD is multi-console.) The Skateboarding thing was a weird tie-in and likewise is not being included because of that. The same goes for the Vampire Dream. Both are basically second games taped on to MGS. (And in the case of the dream, more like a tech demo.) Most of the additional features, items and content introduced in the new modes (such as Snake Tales) are still in the game and it's only a handful of bonus features which are missing.

And as for the Fear thing you're just flat-out wrong about that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 6, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Do you expect anything less than nitpicky flaws from a guy who said he thinks the HD remake of the greatest game of all time is "pretty horrible".

Some of the Metal Gear stuff being removed is understandable because of copyright stuff, but it being understandable doesn't mean that it's not still pretty lame that the HD versions have less content. As for Shadow of the Colossus HD, they managed to screw up the physics in that badly so that it plays much worse than the original release. I would hope that no one ever looks at that port as a "benchmark of HD collections" because it is total garbage (although the Ico port is fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Wind Waker was probably easy to get up and running due to legacy Wii/GC hardware being a subset of the Wii U hardware. And the elements that have helped the game age well also make it simpler to polish up for new hardware; the models don't look like they've been altered, so it's mostly the textures and effects that are getting revamped.

A game like Majora's Mask would need to be rebuilt from scratch. There's no avoiding how badly N64 models have aged, or getting around the now-archaic N64 hardware.

• Locked thread