Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
http://www.prequeladventure.com/qwtake-control/

Trying to bribe your readers again, eh Kaz? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I can't be arsed to remember/reregister because I still haven't gotten my pin :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Huh, that's clever. More votes reveal more of the page for everyone.

Also, if you voted for the design earlier, you can apparently vote again now that it's the second round.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 4, 2013

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Pakled posted:

Huh, that's clever. More votes reveal more of the page for everyone.

Thanks! I'm really interested in how this will compare to the previous "log in/register to get access" approach. Like, whether people will be more or less likely to contribute when they are playing a small part in forwarding a common goal rather than instantly getting a reward for their part alone.

And I'm also a little curious how often people will check back when I've got an update appearing at, like, one word at every minute. It's like MSPA-style tiny, numerous updates taken to its logical extreme.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I can't be arsed to remember/reregister because I still haven't gotten my pin :colbert:
That's not good! It's been like two weeks and as far as I can tell they've already reached every part of the world.

If you take a picture if your lack of pin so I can confirm that you genuinely did not receive one, I'll send you another.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Um, who did you enrage this time, Kazerad?

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Blackheart posted:

Um, who did you enrage this time, Kazerad?

Webcomic creator thread. A reader was having trouble telling which character was which in someone's comic, and I had a pretty good idea why. It was only a minority of the readers who had problems, however, so my sympathy for them was contrarian by definition.

I'm not sure where Papyrus comes into it. I think the avatar is funny, though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Kazerad posted:

If you take a picture if your lack of pin so I can confirm that you genuinely did not receive one, I'll send you another.

Thankfully I had the wherewithal to keep the confirmation hash, which I can PM if needed.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
And a drunk Katia takes the stage!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Man, I get the joke, but... stay away from tumblr for a while, Kazerad.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Ursine Asylum posted:

Thankfully I had the wherewithal to keep the confirmation hash, which I can PM if needed.

I never got my pin either, and I still have my hash.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wiegieman posted:

Man, I get the joke, but... stay away from tumblr for a while, Kazerad.

Is there tumblr rage? Please share with the class.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
As far as I can tell, Tumblr's general reaction to all this is "hell yes, more villainous Quill-Weave" and some related fanart.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
I know I meant this as a shameless contest-rolling scheme, but it's actually really neat watching reactions unfold in super-slow-mo like this. Like, "I wonder what will happen next update" has been replaced with "I wonder what will happen next sentence", and people are making predictions and fanart that get jossed minutes later. I'm kind of tempted to play with this gradual-release thing again sometime, just to see what can be done with it.

My website is totally buckling under the F5's though. It's gotten a little better after Ch'marr added the refresh button under the comic, since that doesn't reload the whole page. I think I can expect another upset letter from Hostgator soon, though.

e: Or not! It was a phone call.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Hm, yes, I don't see a pin anywhere in that picture. I guess it never came.

I'm going to be pretty busy this week, but after that I'll probably make something where people can contact me if their pin never came. I want to wait until I can confirm some reached the southern hemisphere, though, since I think Australia might still be waiting and I don't want to double-send any that were just still in transit.

The pin thing has been a pretty neat experience overall and I'd like to write about some of the things I learned with it, but only once I can get a figure on how many pins didn't arrive.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 5, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there tumblr rage? Please share with the class.

Of the anticipatory nature. This is going to push all kinds of Social Justice Warrior buttons, but I know better than to descend into that dark, forbidding realm. Not when we've entered the dark and forbidding realm of 503 errors.

SuitCase874
Aug 22, 2010

After doing this for many years both from Australia and the US, I think it takes 7 working days all the way up to 2 full months for a standard airmail letter to get to where it needs to go.

However: so long as you live in a white first-world wealthy G8 country, a month is a good cut-off point. I've seen it take that long, but no longer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can you confirm / deny my assumption that despite a lot more people F5ing furiously, the votes are actually coming in at a slower rate than they did during the first part of the contest (because people know they don't have to personally vote in order to get the comic)?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I just now remembered why this update is in black and white and it's not because it's flashback.

I do though have one question:

Wasn't Katia once told to do the same thing, and she had basically the same reaction? I'm too lazy to slog through the archives right now because the server load is making everything load much slower.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This update is sort of... super depressing considering how hard Katia has been trying to do better. It shows how low she had gone in the past but... I think I liked it better when it was left to the imagination. Seeing Katia call herself a worthless whore is really sad. :smith:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Thanks for maintaining a great fanbase, Kaz

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Call Now posted:

See the Hussie-Brony Theorum: As a fanbase grows, n approaches 1 where 'n' is the probability of there being a creepy fans.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

LtStorm posted:

See the Hussie-Brony Theorum: As a fanbase grows, n approaches 1 where 'n' is the probability of there being a creepy fans.

The addendum to that is that 'n' is 1 if the fanbase 'f' is greater than, say, 20. Less if the fanbase is involved in Tumblr.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
One other ramification of this I didn't anticipate: sometimes the mid-sentence cutoff creates funny things.

My personal favorite was the rather touching "You wouldn't know it looking at me, but I'm actually pretty". I think I want that on a T-shirt or something.

Xander77 posted:

Can you confirm / deny my assumption that despite a lot more people F5ing furiously, the votes are actually coming in at a slower rate than they did during the first part of the contest (because people know they don't have to personally vote in order to get the comic)?

I thought it would do something like that, but it actually seemed to progress a lot faster. It hit 1000 in about a day, whereas before it took at least several, if I recall right. Of course, that could just be because people already have accounts, or because this encourages people to tell other people to vote as well.

Iced Cocoa posted:

Wasn't Katia once told to do the same thing, and she had basically the same reaction? I'm too lazy to slog through the archives right now because the server load is making everything load much slower.

Yeah, it was this page. It also got a callback during the last QW update, via "Kiss the doomstone".

I don't think it's any secret the fake commands I'm using for these updates are meant to poke fun at the different sort of people who submit commands. ColorfulHorse6 represents all of Tumblr.

Call Now posted:

You are welcome :v:.

But no seriously I love them all dearly. Even the weird ones. And even (especially) when I troll them to see what will happen.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 6, 2013

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The main character is a catgirl, and the art style is based off MSPA. Creepy fans were guaranteed from the get go.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Who What Now posted:

This update is sort of... super depressing considering how hard Katia has been trying to do better. It shows how low she had gone in the past but... I think I liked it better when it was left to the imagination. Seeing Katia call herself a worthless whore is really sad. :smith:

How else is tumblr supposed to truly pity/masturbate over Katia? This was a pretty obvious move on Kaz's part in terms of cementing viewership.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Well, it did say this took place before the first Quill-Weave update. This probably isn't current Katia at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry to double-post, but holy poo poo thank you for disabling the comments Kazerad. That was getting silly.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Just in case anyone was waiting on it, the Quill-Weave: Take Control bonus page is now complete, as Kazerad has completely ruined the pony contest with 3500 votes.

http://www.prequeladventure.com/qwtake-control/

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I think Wilbur is my new favorite character. Seriously, all of his reactions are hilarious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Independently of context, this is the best panel:

Just a deranged-looking lizard monster bursting through doors with a pineapple.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's a dumb joke, but I'm amused that ColorfulHorse6 returned as one of the fake command submitters.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So to hazard a guess, unless she heard about it again from someone later the twenty nord ales weren't enough to eradicate the pineapple trick from her mind.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I totally thought the pineapple trick would finally be revealed to be something completely innocuous, but he decided to keep building it up further.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'm pretty sure we all have a fairly good idea of what she's doing with that pineapple, and I really don't need to see it in the comic.

It would be funny if it turned out she were just juggling it or something, though. Everyone is scandalized because it's going so high that it's breaking the Levitation Act.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

It would be funny if it turned out she were just juggling it or something, though. Everyone is scandalized because it's going so high that it's breaking the Levitation Act.

I suddenly hope it's this.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

woodenchicken posted:

I totally thought the pineapple trick would finally be revealed to be something completely innocuous, but he decided to keep building it up further.

It should never be revealed. Even getting this close to showing/telling what the trick is was too far. It's much funnier as a noodle incident sort of joke.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Update. I can't help but laugh at the last image.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
The healing should cause Katia's eye to clear up as well.

There's your gimme, Kaz; I accept payment in pins.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Maple Leaf posted:

PM me your mailing address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

The healing should cause Katia's eye to clear up as well.

I believe it is, at least, it looks like the eye is becoming brown instead of the deep red. Or my color settings are off, I don't know.

• Locked thread