Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

~Coxy posted:

Better to check as soon as you get it and can return it without hassle.

It's not like Apple is going to let you return it just based on having display type XYZ. That would be a recall. So if you don't even have an issue to show them, no need to bother.

Plus all reasonable customers get AppleCare, so time isn't pressing with returning these machines. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
There's a 14 day no questions asked return period which would be best to take advantage of.

Outside of that window you're going to have the convince the genius to let you exchange it. Plenty of people have had issues doing so, even when they can clearly demo the issue in-store.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Well they certainly exchanged my display when I had that issue. It's not something to exchange the whole machine over.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Sorry I didn't get AppleCare as I can't afford it, it doesn't cover accidents, and I generally can't stand the hand-us-money runaround that Apple service gives you anyway. I don't really want to get into the whole screen retention lawsuit thing, I just would like to check if I have a Samsung screen if possible. (if you must know, I dropped my macbook, got it replaced at a shop because it was $400 + shipping versus $950+ other places quoted me, and they claimed they replace screens with Samsung ones and I just wanted to check. Apple is basically out of the question here since it was a drop)

SeaborneClink posted:

code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
LPxxxxxxx == LG
LSNxxxxxx == Samsung

yep, already tried that one. @.`0 6 Color LCD.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

e:fb by like 5 hours!

kuskus fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 6, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What is this, MacRumors where people sit at the Apple store unboxing machines until they find one with the SSD/screen combination they want?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If one is objectively worse than another then why wouldn't you?
Servers them right for charging premium prices but using wildly different levels of quality parts from their suppliers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A lot of those old 250GB drives will actually max out at 60-20MBs depending on which end of the disk you are reading from. And the smaller 120GB/80GB drives will be even slower, like 45-15MBs

:smith:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Space Gopher posted:

There should be effectively zero lag on a Thunderbolt-HDMI conversion.

The Thunderbolt monitor works very nicely as an integrated two-cable docking setup; it has USB, FW800, and Ethernet built in, and you can daisy chain other Thunderbolt devices off of it, so if you've bought into that whole ecosystem then plugging your monitor in hooks you up to everything. The panel is also really, really nice, and of course the whole setup is beautiful.

But, you can spend less than half as much for a Korean monitor that uses a very similar panel (Apple gets the very top-graded ones, but they're the same models from the same manufacturers, and the difference isn't huge) if you're mostly concerned with the monitor itself. Microcenter's budget 27-incher has DisplayPort input, so you can run it at full resolution off of a Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort connection without issues. The case of the monitor is cheap plastic, but it's $400. Even the refurb Cinema Display is $800.

Forget that, you can get a Dell 27 inch with the same panel too for about half the price of the cinema display. And it has tons of inputs and features.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Go naked and keep it in a sleeve, like Bob Morales said.

IMO you stand a greater chance of scratching the body with the snap-on case itself (or with grit that gets stuck behind it) than with anything that the case would protect you from. As for drops, one of those shells is going to have a minimal effect at best on the amount of body damage you'd sustain.

Just don't do anything that you wouldn't do to the surface of a car, like slide your keys over it, and you'll be fine.

Excellent, many thanks to both you and Bob Morales. I read that those things could theoretically scratch up the computer if dust / dirt got between the case and the computer.

Any recommneded sleeves? I read Colcossacs are nice but they don't fit right apparently. I'd like some modern that looks good and offers good protection (ideally without zippers that can scratch the computer, unless there is protection for that).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's really personal preference and reading reviews on sites like Amazon for anything you might miss.

I have a Speck sleeve that's made out a stretchy material. Works great but there's nowhere to carry anything with it like USB drives, a mouse, power cord, pens... Then I also have an STM Jacket which is a little thicker and has pockets for more stuff, as well as a removable shoulder strap. I used to have an Incase sleeve that was made out of a ballistic nylon type material, I'm not a huge fan of neoprene. It had a fur-type lining which was pretty nice. I've never had issues with zipper damage.

I've also seen some cases from Booq and Hard Candy that interest me. Generally the more protective of a case, the bulkier it will end up being, which can be a turn off if you have an Air.

I'd go Mac-specific if you can, generic small cases from companies like CaseLogic are usually pretty low-end. There are a lot of sleeves out there that look like leather wallets, envelopes, or books if that's your type of thing. Depending on what they're made out of they can cost over a hundred dollars, but if that's the look you are going for, you probably don't care.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

If one is objectively worse than another then why wouldn't you?
Servers them right for charging premium prices but using wildly different levels of quality parts from their suppliers.

At least with the Airs, people would never notice if they hadn't read about it online. Have you been to their site, it's the weirdest bunch of OCD people you'll ever meet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

At least with the Airs, people would never notice if they hadn't read about it online. Have you been to their site, it's the weirdest bunch of OCD people you'll ever meet.
timb:iPhones::MR forums:everything

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What is this, MacRumors where people sit at the Apple store unboxing machines until they find one with the SSD/screen combination they want?

The image retention thing on the retina LG panels does look pretty terrible. I could see it getting annoying enough to swap for a new display.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
After 2 years of dealing with a terrible issue with my NVidia card in my 2010 Mid-Year 15" MBP, and Apple refusing to say there was an issue, they finally put out a statement that everyone can get a repair.

Getting a new MLB! Woohoo

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

bows1 posted:

After 2 years of dealing with a terrible issue with my NVidia card in my 2010 Mid-Year 15" MBP, and Apple refusing to say there was an issue, they finally put out a statement that everyone can get a repair.

Getting a new MLB! Woohoo

Do you have the specific article or KB number handy for that?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Apple has had a repair extension program for that since at least early 2012, probably even late 2011 or before.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NerdsMcGee posted:

Do you have the specific article or KB number handy for that?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Are there any other differences between the July 2011 mac mini with i5 and AMD Radeon HD 6630M and the current model other than the integrated graphics and lack of USB3?

Which mini is likely to perform better with Mavericks? Will the older one even be compatible?

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt
Quick question, what's the best PC competitor for the iMac?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Danger Man posted:

Weird question to ask, but here is a Verge article describing the competition. In my experience as an on-site tech with these other AIO solutions, they are all a big pain in the rear end to repair and lovely machines in general. People do seem to love them and a client recently ordered $30,000 worth of HP AIOs to set up for their entire office after having 2 of their tester machines fail within a few months. I wouldn't exactly recommend any AIO, but that's more from personal experience.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Danger Man posted:

Depending on the iMac in question, probably a Dell or the Vizios maybe:

http://www.vizio.com/all-in-one/overview

That Verge article is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 8, 2013

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I posted a little while back about the faulty USB ports on my MBP, which ended with me taking the machine in for repair and having Apple replace the logic board. I just got my machine back today and have found that I'm unable to log into OS X with the password I've been using for years. Fortunately I set up a guest account prior to sending it away which I'm using now. I'm guessing this is an NVRAM thing and since I have a new logic board...

What's the best / most hassle free way to proceed here?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I just want to pimp iFixit's customer service. My late 2012 iMac adhesive strips arrived creased, like they were packed in a hurry. They sent me new ones without a hitch. Good people.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Cyne posted:

I posted a little while back about the faulty USB ports on my MBP, which ended with me taking the machine in for repair and having Apple replace the logic board. I just got my machine back today and have found that I'm unable to log into OS X with the password I've been using for years. Fortunately I set up a guest account prior to sending it away which I'm using now. I'm guessing this is an NVRAM thing and since I have a new logic board...

http://kashiv.com/2012/04/16/reset-root-password-using-single-user-boot-in-osx-lion/

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Beautiful, got everything sorted out just fine. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

Are there any other differences between the July 2011 mac mini with i5 and AMD Radeon HD 6630M and the current model other than the integrated graphics and lack of USB3?

Which mini is likely to perform better with Mavericks? Will the older one even be compatible?
Uh Sandy vs Ivy Bridge CPU (slight boost per clock iirc, not too much), and yeah that stuff I guess, might be other minor stuff but those are the main ones. Well back to the CPU for a sec, for 2011 the $799 model was that Radeon one with dual core CPU, while the current one has a quad core. Lack of USB 3 is pretty big if you're using external direct connected drives (as opposed to a NAS).

If you can wait and afford a new one, the Haswell models could be nice because the faster integrated graphics...and hopefully lower heat to keep the fan speed down better, granted Mavericks should help there too for all models. I have the 2011 w/Radeon and the fan noise is my main peeve, like some random process decides to spike for a few seconds and the fan ramps up for a bit in response. The 2012s might have the asymmetric fan blade design which reduces noise, but I haven't seen confirmation on that one way or another.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cyne posted:

I just got my machine back today and have found that I'm unable to log into OS X with the password I've been using for years. Fortunately I set up a guest account prior to sending it away which I'm using now. I'm guessing this is an NVRAM thing and since I have a new logic board...

There is a password reset feature in the bootable OS X install disc or recovery partition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

It's not a nvram thing, the password (or more precisely a hashed version of it) is stored on disk. The repair tech probably did a password reset in order to be able to log in.

e:fb

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 8, 2013

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

BobHoward posted:

It's not a nvram thing, the password (or more precisely a hashed version of it) is stored on disk. The repair tech probably did a password reset in order to be able to log in.

e:fb

:doh:

Yeah, I don't know why I thought that, OS X is fundamentally Unix after all.

In any case, problem solved, thanks again guys. :)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Danger Man posted:

There's nothing I like in the exact same form factor, but you could argue that any PC regardless of form factor is still a competitor for an iMac. Honestly I don't see the difference myself day-to-day as my PC is on the floor, totally invisible.

If you really want a flexible, almost all-in-one solution I'd suggest going for a nice laptop and just buying a decent Dell monitor, with a built in USB hub.

That way you have a laptop, and can plug in 2 cables and get a desktop form factor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anandtech has posted their 11" MacBook Air review (2013)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7180/apple-macbook-air-11-2013-review

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So uh, is there a recommended way to re-attach a transistor to a Mac Mini logic board? :)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tehschulman posted:

So uh, is there a recommended way to re-attach a transistor to a Mac Mini logic board? :)

With a soldering iron. However, I regret to inform you that if you detached it without the use of a soldering iron you have probably damaged the component, the pads and traces it was soldered to, or both.

Can you take a picture with a camera that has a decent macro mode?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Did you ever check Activity Monitor while this is happening?

yes of course. I've got a ticket in with Apple support and they are baffled. I knew I was in for a bad ride when they started asking about the warranty status

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

BobHoward posted:

With a soldering iron. However, I regret to inform you that if you detached it without the use of a soldering iron you have probably damaged the component, the pads and traces it was soldered to, or both.

Can you take a picture with a camera that has a decent macro mode?

Here's what it looks like:

Now, here's the weird part. I ASSUME this is where the resistor (I think it's a resistor) came from. I also assume this is the orientation of the component based on how the solder lines up. I've looked very hard at both sides of the board and this is the only spot where it's very obvious something came loose. Looking at a big picture of the A1347 board (my Mini is a July 2011) however, it looks like there is NOT supposed to be a component in this position (I've highlighted the spot in teal):

Backstory: I was installing a dual hard drive kit this morning when it happened. I think the component got dislodged when I removed the logic board tray from the case. I didn't feel any resistance or hear anything break, but I noticed the resistor was sitting on my workspace just before reassembling the Mini.

I have solder experience and some brand new fine tip solder heads. Some advice I read mentioned using a heat gun to reapply the component but I don't have access to one of those.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the photo of the whole board doesn't look like the correct model for my mac (no battery at the top, it sits more in the middle of things. It definitely looks like my logic board in the A1347 though.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 9, 2013

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Just got my Air in from B&H, they threw in a card for a year of "LoJack for Laptops." My instinct is that it's hot garbage to be throw away but with all the commuting/traveling I'll be doing with it some theft protection could be nice. Doesn't Apple already do some of this remote locate/wipe stuff? I guess it depends on how lovely the software is and how difficult it'd be to cancel it after the year. Thoughts?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tehschulman posted:

Here's what it looks like:

Now, here's the weird part. I ASSUME this is where the resistor (I think it's a resistor) came from. I also assume this is the orientation of the component based on how the solder lines up. I've looked very hard at both sides of the board and this is the only spot where it's very obvious something came loose. Looking at a big picture of the A1347 board (my Mini is a July 2011) however, it looks like there is NOT supposed to be a component in this position (I've highlighted the spot in teal):

Backstory: I was installing a dual hard drive kit this morning when it happened. I think the component got dislodged when I removed the logic board tray from the case. I didn't feel any resistance or hear anything break, but I noticed the resistor was sitting on my workspace just before reassembling the Mini.

I have solder experience and some brand new fine tip solder heads. Some advice I read mentioned using a heat gun to reapply the component but I don't have access to one of those.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the photo of the whole board doesn't look like the correct model for my mac (no battery at the top, it sits more in the middle of things. It definitely looks like my logic board in the A1347 though.

You ripped the pads off the board. It's toast.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
But on the plus side, if you solder it well you've got nothing to lose, really.

What does the board do without that piece?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Sonic Dude posted:

But on the plus side, if you solder it well you've got nothing to lose, really.

What does the board do without that piece?

Explode? :ohdear:

Yeah this is my thinking basically. I'm pretty sure opening the case voided the warranty so I might as well give it a go at this point. I think I will prep the pads with a small dab of solder and then try to carefully set the component back in place. I am pretty confident about the orientation of the component (I have a 50/50 shot!) so I will post my results once I do the surgery.

I've also read some posts about people turning their Minis on with a transistor or cap missing, and in some cases, the computer turned on and functioned somewhat normally. I don't suggest doing this personally, but I'll give it a go if worst comes to worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tehschulman posted:

I've also read some posts about people turning their Minis on with a transistor or cap missing, and in some cases, the computer turned on and functioned somewhat normally. I don't suggest doing this personally, but I'll give it a go if worst comes to worst.

A long time ago we used to play a game where we broke the electrolytic caps off a computer (off random places/cards) until it quit working. You could break quite a few off before it would start acting up.