Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a guy who actually did that every single time he got the puck. It worked the first couple times and then people started getting wise to it which meant as soon as the puck got under him, they'd just poke check it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Moff Tarkin
Sep 25, 2004

Secretly, in dark places, where boys fear to tread, I<3 ShakeGate
How do you guys handle real rear end in a top hat opposing teams?

Background: I've been skating for almost a year and am quite new to the game of hockey. I signed up for lessons, met some people and joined two teams at the lowest level of play (5E and 4E for those of you in San Jose). The last two weeks we've played opponents that just clearly outplay our team. We've got a mix of complete newbies and some guys who seem to know what they're doing; I feel like these are the appropriate level for me, since there is nothing lower.

These guys on the other teams, they celebrate like they just won the cup when they're up a 2 goals already and score another with 60 seconds left. Why? I don't get it. They're clearly better players, and are beating people who can't skate and are new to the game of hockey. What kind of victory is that? Why not pass the puck to your worst player and let them have a crack and handling it or taking a shot?

The way I figure, I don't go and punch random children and call myself a great fighter when they're laying on the ground crying. What's with the poor sportsmanship? Is their self-esteem so low that they can only feel good by beating guys who can barely skate?

The whole experience over the last three weeks has put a real sour taste in my mouth about playing hockey in general. I'm in the lowest levels to learn to play the game. Too often do I find the opposing teams strategy is "get the puck to the ringer and let him play/win the game." Thankfully my team doesn't do that. I'm out there to learn the game and get better at skating. I want to play hockey, I'm not there to watch someone else play.

Fellow hockey goons, what do you do in this situation? I don't want to turn into an rear end in a top hat on the ice by hacking/slashing the opposing team all game. I'm disheartened with my decision to invest so much time/effort into the sport if these are the kinds of people that play it.

tl;dr :words: :smithcloud:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wow.

3 goal losses aren't exactly curbstompings. You gotta let that poo poo go. It's been 3 weeks and you're regretting playing the sport? Jesus Christ man. Step the gently caress up and change what you can control. Play for your team, play for yourself. Learn from better competition, be a good teammate, use the ice time to get better as a skater and quit worrying about wins and losses. It smacks of jealously and is pathetic. You are bad enough to have enormous value doing anything on the ice, even if its back checking the entire shift.

And be thankful that there's no checking in the league.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 5, 2013

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Grand Moff Tarkin posted:

Background: I've been skating for almost a year and am quite new to the game of hockey. I signed up for lessons, met some people and joined two teams at the lowest level of play (5E and 4E for those of you in San Jose). The last two weeks we've played opponents that just clearly outplay our team. We've got a mix of complete newbies and some guys who seem to know what they're doing; I feel like these are the appropriate level for me, since there is nothing lower.

These guys on the other teams, they celebrate like they just won the cup when they're up a 2 goals already and score another with 60 seconds left. Why? I don't get it. They're clearly better players, and are beating people who can't skate and are new to the game of hockey. What kind of victory is that? Why not pass the puck to your worst player and let them have a crack and handling it or taking a shot?

The way I figure, I don't go and punch random children and call myself a great fighter when they're laying on the ground crying. What's with the poor sportsmanship? Is their self-esteem so low that they can only feel good by beating guys who can barely skate?

The whole experience over the last three weeks has put a real sour taste in my mouth about playing hockey in general. I'm in the lowest levels to learn to play the game. Too often do I find the opposing teams strategy is "get the puck to the ringer and let him play/win the game." Thankfully my team doesn't do that. I'm out there to learn the game and get better at skating. I want to play hockey, I'm not there to watch someone else play.

Fellow hockey goons, what do you do in this situation? I don't want to turn into an rear end in a top hat on the ice by hacking/slashing the opposing team all game. I'm disheartened with my decision to invest so much time/effort into the sport if these are the kinds of people that play it.

tl;dr :words: :smithcloud:

Let me and Chemmy play for you guys and we can roll on them :D

==
So today I flipped out during our game and ended up getting kicked out.. This team were were playing is always super cheap and the refs were not calling anything... During the game the same guy crosschecked me in the neck(no call) and then hit me from behind in the borads(was called) and then again crosschecked me but I needed to "learn to loving skate" so I punched him in the face and punched the guy who came to "protect" him.

I hate being that guy but these guys make no attempt to play hockey and just look to hit people.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Grand Moff Tarkin posted:

<snip>

I think you'll find that pretty much any rink, any league, hell...any sport will have some way too competitive, win-at-all-costs jerks. Ice hockey is not really any different in that regard.

On the other hand, I echo sellouts in many ways. A 3-0 loss isn't a blowout by any stretch. My last league game against some try-hard 20-year-olds (I'm approaching 40) was a 12-0 stomping. Ignore the scoresheet and take away what you can from the experience. Really think about how and why you were beaten. Did they pass very well? Did they position themselves better than you could defend them? Did one skater dominate your entire team? How? What did he do that rendered him 'invincible'? Did he have better stickhandling? Did he take better angles to a loose puck? Find out what happened and work on that skill.

There are very few plays in hockey that can't be defended. Feeling bad about it isn't going to help, unless you can change something. Take the bruised ego out of the equation and use the event to improve.

The fastest way to get better is to play above your current skill level, but not too far above.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

In low level leagues, hell in most adult rec leagues, losing by three goals is hardly a blowout. If my team lost 9-1 or something like that and they were celebrating like they won the Cup, then I might get annoyed, but it's just part of playing. The other team is happy they won, let them enjoy it. Most of the time when it's a blowout by 7-8 goals, they won't be assholes about it.

Just focus on improving your own game every time you get on the ice. Lower level leagues are about learning the game and having fun, who cares if you win or lose?

Also, how long has your team been together? A lot of the time some teams are just better because the guys have been playing with each other for a few seasons and know each other's tendencies and playing styles. Maybe once your team gels a little bit more you'll find you're playing better as a group.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It sucks, but I imagine the only place without "ringers" is the A league or whatever where it's a free for all.

You'll get better, this will happen less, and you'll feel better. Maybe as a team you should decide what your goals are? Since you're a new team maybe it's not unreasonable for your goals to be "keep all shifts under a minute" or "get a real good shot off" basic stuff that will make you feel like you achieved something that aren't tied to winning?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The way I've been playing the past couple weeks, a 3 goal loss would be a ray of sunshine. I got one more chance in the summer session, team is 3-3-1 and our last game is Sunday. :negative:

The instructional league doesn't keep track of player stats but they do log team records, and it's pretty amazing how many teams are sitting on a 50/50 split. Is a nice indicator how good the organizers are at spreading the skill around, keeping teams even.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It sucks right now, but don't quit. Keep at it, because it's incredibly rewarding if you do. Everyone has poo poo nights and wants to toss their gear into the nearest waterway.

I agree with Chemmy, though--focus on the little things. Especially, play together as a team. Go out there with a plan on what you guys are going to do. Not set plays or anything, but simple poo poo like 'play your position', 'backcheck', 'watch the front of the net', 'crash the net' etc.

e: Also--and I'll probably be the only one to say this--maybe you should try to get to more stick-and-pucks and drop one of the leagues you're in? Or, like, more lessons/practices/whatever-it-is-yall-do type poo poo? I mean, leagues have a lot of try-hards. Everyone here can tell you to buck up and lift up them bootstraps, but it's totally possible you'll just get more and more frustrated till you give up.

e2: what I'm saying is play the league, try to improve, but get more practice in so you can still enjoy the game and improve your skills at the same time.

Gio fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 5, 2013

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

canuckanese posted:

Also, how long has your team been together? A lot of the time some teams are just better because the guys have been playing with each other for a few seasons and know each other's tendencies and playing styles. Maybe once your team gels a little bit more you'll find you're playing better as a group.

This.

My team got killed 6-0 (should have been 20-0 but our goalie is sicknasty) by a handful of guys that have played together for a long time. 2 of them could be classified as ringers, and do actually play in the upper B here in addition to lower C, but they've been on the roster for years so no one does anything.
We're a team made of the hardcore members of a few other teams+3 rookies+5 guys who've been together for a while. We got killed on passing, positioning, and some really little things that we'd have to really talk about. Since we got butthurt being down 2-0, no one talked and went into tryhard mode. Which sucks for everyone.

So yeah, talk with your team about what you're doing. Then talk about what you're trying to do. Then play more hockey cause its the best and hardest sport.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright so we have this guy on one of my teams. He's like a 6'6"-ish prison guard. He's a big dude. He broke his stick in the first period last night and didn't have a second with him. The only other lefty on the team is my girlfriend, who uses a junior stick. He skated the rest of the game with her pink backup stick. Pretty sure our bench didn't stop laughing the whole game.

In black, on the right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He should totally trade a sock with that teammate so they both end up with a matching pair.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Hah, my team's record in summer league this year:

L 8-3
L 6-0
L 9-4
L 10-1
L 9-3
L 7-1
L 12-4
L 7-5 (that one hurt, blew a lead in the 3rd)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
In our floorball scrimmage league(as is, the league that bans tryhards. We got some pros in the league but the relaxed play and unstructured systems limit their advantage a bit) we play first to ten but you have to win with two goals. In general, a blowout is 10-1 or 10-2 and we usually switch up the teams after every game to ensure random chance when making the team dominates everything. Sticks in the center circle and all that.

Blowouts are not as common anymore because those of us without the raw skill(I'm pretty much the poster boy in the league for that) instead make it up by blocking a lot of shots and grinding in the corners(despite me being only 169cm tall). Since we don't have helmets or any other protection(unless they play injured) it's a huge sacrifice to block a shot from a dude sending a one-timer slapper from five meters away.

Not to mention we allow more physical play than the actual rules do. It's probably why I've suffered two slapshots to the groin and a concussion from a bad fall but goddamn if it isn't worth it because grinding is awesome.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

It sucks, but I imagine the only place without "ringers" is the A league or whatever where it's a free for all.

You'll get better, this will happen less, and you'll feel better. Maybe as a team you should decide what your goals are? Since you're a new team maybe it's not unreasonable for your goals to be "keep all shifts under a minute" or "get a real good shot off" basic stuff that will make you feel like you achieved something that aren't tied to winning?

Getting to keep shifts under a minute, what is that like?

Seriously, the only time the other team celebrating really bothers me is when they have a full bench and we have 8 or fewer skaters. Good job at being rested!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I don't really see much celebrating outside of a few fistbumps on the way back to center ice. Are we talking full-on hockey-hug-fest, going down on one knee and scooping up the ice, jumping up against the boards, or what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see tons of over the top celebrations.. on Thursday night drop in. Because everyone's just dicking around having fun, we usually don't even have goalies. So when you hit the post you do a dumb celebration.

I threw a glove at a guy because he is easily twice as fast as me and it was the only part of me that had any hope of catching up to him to make a play.

Haven't seen a Yakupov though.. usually the ice is so torn up that you can't slide on your knees anymore so I figure if someone tried it'd just turn into a belly flop.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gio posted:

I don't really see much celebrating outside of a few fistbumps on the way back to center ice. Are we talking full-on hockey-hug-fest, going down on one knee and scooping up the ice, jumping up against the boards, or what?

I'd imagine it's like most hockey celebrations, guys on the ice cheer and do the hug/fist bump thing, guys on the bench are going nuts tapping sticks against the boards and hooting. The only way I would be legitimately annoyed is if they cleared the bench to celebrate every goal.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

canuckanese posted:

I'd imagine it's like most hockey celebrations, guys on the ice cheer and do the hug/fist bump thing, guys on the bench are going nuts tapping sticks against the boards and hooting. The only way I would be legitimately annoyed is if they cleared the bench to celebrate every goal.

Yeah, exactly. Perfectly normal and absolutely NOTHING to have a feeling over, but somehow if I've been trapped on the ice for many minutes when it happens I can't help myself.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

canuckanese posted:

In low level leagues, hell in most adult rec leagues, losing by three goals is hardly a blowout. If my team lost 9-1 or something like that and they were celebrating like they won the Cup, then I might get annoyed, but it's just part of playing. The other team is happy they won, let them enjoy it. Most of the time when it's a blowout by 7-8 goals, they won't be assholes about it.

Just focus on improving your own game every time you get on the ice. Lower level leagues are about learning the game and having fun, who cares if you win or lose?

The biggest thing is focusing on what you can control. Don't get worked up too much about whether the other team is celebrating like dicks and as annoying as ringers can be, every league has them and at a certain point you just need to make peace with it. You'll also find as you play longer that the ringers normally aren't as good as you thought they were and teams will adapt to them and start shutting them down. Normally it will be guys who cherry pick (not play D and wait by the blue line for a long outlet pass) or guys who are skilled, but buckle once people start playing them a little more physically. Also, continuity is important. It can take anywhere from 2-3 seasons for a team to settle down and everyone to get comfortable, but once you hit that point you can make big strides with virtually the same guys. Also, as others have suggested, find some clinics/skills sessions, stick & puck, and even open hockey. Get out there and work on developing your skills and play some better players. If you only ever face C-leaguers, then you'll never move past that level, but if you go up against better players, watch what they do, and push yourself a little harder to try and keep up with them, then you can improve quite a bit.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 5, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gio posted:

Last week we were getting stomped 6-1 or so. 60 seconds left in the game, they score their 7th. The dude throws down his stick, throws off his gloves, does a flip, lands on his back and does snow angels on the ice inside our zone. I've never wanted to spear someone so badly. Instead, I swatted his gloves away to the corner.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would have given the guy an immediate 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike for doing that and if I got any lip I would have given a 10 to get him off the ice for the rest of the game.

I am really happy I don't officiate anymore.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Are we talking a lazy sommersault or a legit Scott Hamilton flip?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIzNlVfEok

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
You can definitely get curbstomped and the score "only" be 3-0, especially in the lower leagues the shots are slow and the releases are slower and any goalie who can butterfly can be a rock star. If you lose a game and spend 80% of the game in your own zone and 15% in the neutral zone, that's still a game where you have zero chance of winning. Maybe you guys are too far removed from beginner hockey, but when all of your effort on the ice is spent trying to clear the zone and when you finally do, it gets turned around at center ice and sent right back in, it's a curb stomp, even if you lose by "only" three or four goals.

I think hockey suffers the unevenness problem worse than other sports. Every sport has its show-off sandbaggers who like to dominate less experience players, but I think with hockey they ended up concentrated in leagues, because it's so much harder to show somebody up in a street game or pick-up or what not because it's just so much less popular. That, and the fact that hockey beginners may lack any semblence of mobility, which doesn't happen in any other sport. The barriers to newb domination in hockey are just so low.

As a devil's advocate, I will celebrate ANY time I score, doesn't matter if I'm on the wrong (or right) end of a lopsided game. I only score, like, once every 2 months. And it's just such an awesome feeling, it's hard not to get pumped.

All that said, keep playing hockey dude, it's so loving awesome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know, you'd almost have to try to spend 95% game outside the offensive zone. That's incredibly difficult to do even in beginner. Maybe if the other team is all guys who should probably be a division or two up and your entire team is made up of guys who just finished a learn to skate class or something, but that generally doesn't happen. If it does, whoever runs your league is a dick.

Grand Moff Tarkin
Sep 25, 2004

Secretly, in dark places, where boys fear to tread, I<3 ShakeGate

Gio posted:

Are we talking full-on hockey-hug-fest, going down on one knee and scooping up the ice, jumping up against the boards, or what?

Hands in the air, lots of man-hugging, much shouting, and an occasional thrown glove. All this when we haven't gotten the puck into their zone in the last 8 minutes.

canuckanese posted:

I think this has been around for 3-4 years. This is the team got blown out at HP Pavilion 18-0 two years ago. We are definitely better than last season. We're hitting a lot more of our passes in the neutral zone and occasionally two players look like they know how to work a breakout.

Aniki posted:

If you only ever face C-leaguers, then you'll never move past that level, but if you go up against better players, watch what they do, and push yourself a little harder to try and keep up with them, then you can improve quite a bit.

Understood and agreed; I strung together a nice series of high speed crossovers chasing a guy last night and it felt very smooth.

Thanks everyone for helping to put everything into perspective. We've had our share of 0-10 and 0-11 losses as well, but the recent games have been significantly closer, and my skating has greatly improved since the start of the season.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Honestly the games where it's close and you still lose are more discouraging, in my opinion, so it can be easy to get frustrated. My team is on an 11 game losing streak so don't feel too bad!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

canuckanese posted:

Maybe if the other team is all guys who should probably be a division or two up...
That happens a lot in our beginner league during summer when the player pool gets smaller. The people who are left playing in the summer are the hardcore guys and suddenly a lot of them don't have teams for a season or two and so they move down. And by the time the league director starts talking to them, they're back to whatever league they usually play in during the fall.

Plus, in a big university town so there's always new players arriving every year.

canuckanese posted:

...and your entire team is made up of guys who just finished a learn to skate class or something...
It doesn't take a team full of beginners to have difficulty setting up an offense when the other 5 guys are all good skaters. If you put two good skaters at D and they spend all their effort digging pucks out of their corner and are too tired to lead or join the rush. Now, you've got beginner forwards going against solid defensemen, and they aren't winning a lot of pucks in the corners or on the boards and when they do, they've been hounded so much that their instinct is to blindly throw the puck to the crease where the other team picks it up and now your defense starts to retreat because who has the energy to pinch and then potentially have to catch up on the backcheck?

It seems to take a lot of experience before forwards will start using their defensemen on offense, so if you put your top 40% of skaters there, they are going to be taken out of the offense a lot. And if you're the only good skater on a forward line, it's hard to sustain a set offense by yourself (against 5 good skaters). So, potentially 60% of your team could be better players and you still have difficulty maintaining offense.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How that big of a mismatch doesn't generate more than 2 goals in a game per the previous situation is beyond me. But I guess anything is possible.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sellouts posted:

How that big of a mismatch doesn't generate more than 2 goals in a game per the previous situation is beyond me. But I guess anything is possible.

Yeah I was about to say, even if the goalie is playing phenomenal, you're talking about a beginner who is going against guys who are clearly much better. There's no way they only score 3 goals while having possession in the offensive zone 80% of the game. That's 48 minutes assuming you play a full 60 minute game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dude on the other team broke his Tibia and Fibula in our game last night. It was gross.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dude on the other team broke his Tibia and Fibula in our game last night. It was gross.
I have a game on wednesday night, and I leave for a hiking trip to colorado that next morning.

I'm going to play very lightly for this reason alone.

VVVVV - I loved that game by the way. I only wish they would incorporate a version of that into NHL 14.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 6, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fractured rib, woo.

Our D-man proceeded beat the absolute piss out of this guy. Grabbed him by the shoulder and unloaded 3 punches straight to the cage before he fell over like a rag doll.

Alright so we have this guy on one of my teams. He's like a 6'6"-ish prison guard.

Do you play in the Mutant League? Your stories are always entertaining.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

To be fair, 80% of my Monday night team is gigantic prison guards, so you could consider it the Mutant team.

e: And yes, I'm pretty sure we have the most penalty minutes in the league by a good amount.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 6, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I bet your locker room is a heap of fun.

I mean, penalties are always good conversation starters right?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
The guy who runs our league could be a bit snarky at times..

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

poser posted:

The guy who runs our league could be a bit snarky at times..

The director for one of my league's posted something similar:

quote:

2 things all hockey players should do:

Referee a hockey game
Play goalie

Your attitude about these parts of hockey will be enlightened. Things are different when all eyes are on you. Pressure can make or break!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love a chance to play in net a couple times just for the "walk in their shoes" bit, but gently caress if I'm gonna drop $1000 on pads to find out I hate it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

I would love a chance to play in net a couple times just for the "walk in their shoes" bit, but gently caress if I'm gonna drop $1000 on pads to find out I hate it.

Rinks and some goalies will have gear that you can borrow. It may not be the best gear, but it's enough to give you a feel for the position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have yet to play with a goalie that wouldn't let you try their pads out to laugh at you for:

1. putting them on and having to deal with the smell
and
2. watching you struggle out there