Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
When K'rul gathered the people in Kruppe's dream to make Silverfox, was he able to connect Pran Chole from 300,000 years ago to the present day for the ritual? Or was that just something made up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

When K'rul gathered the people in Kruppe's dream to make Silverfox, was he able to connect Pran Chole from 300,000 years ago to the present day for the ritual? Or was that just something made up?

It's real. When we meet pran chole later he's been waiting a long time

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dalmuti posted:

It's real. When we meet pran chole later he's been waiting a long time

Uh, isn't it sort of a little of both, in the sense that Pran Chole exists within an almost imaginary realm that has been, for the time being, somewhat fixed in reality by the Azath spawned from Kettle?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

Uh, isn't it sort of a little of both, in the sense that Pran Chole exists within an almost imaginary realm that has been, for the time being, somewhat fixed in reality by the Azath spawned from Kettle?

You're thinking of ulshun pral I think. Pran Chole is very much an active t'lan out in the world

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Was Rallick just chilling in the Azath house since GotM?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

apophenium posted:

Was Rallick just chilling in the Azath house since GotM?

Yes, and healing.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whats up with those jade statues?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

You're thinking of ulshun pral I think. Pran Chole is very much an active t'lan out in the world

Yeah, you're right, that's exactly whom I was mixing him up with.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Themage posted:

It's never fully explained but I believe it's the worshipers of the Crippled God being drawn to him, based on Heboric's experiences.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Themage posted:

They are (full series spoilers) possibly inter-dimensional spaceships full of the Crippled God's worshipers (or their souls? I forget, but it's like hundreds of thousands of them) who really want him back.

The Crippled God is easily the most interesting character in the entire series. Judging by the vast numbers of worshipers he had and the effort they went through to get him back, it's very possible he was a major (sole?) and possibly even 'good-aligned' type god in the pantheon he was drawn from - something like the Creator in Wheel of Time or even the New Testament God, for instance. Yet he was dragged across space-time by a bunch of Jacuruku mages as a weapon in a political coup against High King Kallor. From there he was chained to the world he was brought to and ultimately sundered into a dozen semi-sentient pieces, many of which were used by native species to draw power from. Is it any wonder he was such a cranky rear end in a top hat for the first half of the series or so?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Jeez, now that you think about it, 99% of the bad poo poo in the series is related to Kallor. And his power level is lower than most of the major characters, too!

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Kallor's interesting because his on-screen time through Book of the Fallen is maybe 50 pages total out of some 10,000 and yet he gets a ton of development in those pages (unfortunately, B&B adds next to nothing to his character).

It will be kind of cool to see him in the prequel trilogy, assuming the High King that is mentioned like once is actually him.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I wouldn't say that his power level is particularly low though, he's an immortal (of a sort) and one the best swordsmen alive.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Hipster Occultist posted:

I wouldn't say that his power level is particularly low though, he's an immortal (of a sort) and one the best swordsmen alive.

Well Caladon Brood mentions that Kallor's greatest superpower is the fact he can choose his opponents well and not get into a situation where he can't win. Something that can't be said about most of the cast, even the ascended.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hardly of a sort - immortality was one aspect of his curse.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Habibi posted:

Hardly of a sort - immortality was one aspect of his curse.

It's an artificial immortality though. If you
removed his century candles then he would be an old dead dude. On the other hand being dead in the malazan universe isn't that much of a handicap.

On a completely different topic, after my complete reread I found myself swearing Malazan style. I've shortened it down to just 'balls' now.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
I caught myself saying Hood's Balls a few times out in public when I read the series.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

removed his century candles then he would be an old dead dude. On the other hand being dead in the malazan universe isn't that much of a handicap.

Nah, he's immortal, but he still ages. The century candles keep him spry.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

No, he is immortal. The century candles no longer extend his life so much as his vigor.

E:fb pretty much.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Am I the only one wishing there was a deck of dragons replica I could buy the poo poo out of?

Nearly finished HoC on the reread now and I cannot recommend rereading enough, so much more clicks when you know the bigger picture. That isn't a criticism of the books at all, which I adore, more a bonus that they are so good to reread. I show people how many characters are in the series and they say 'how do you remember them all?!' I think the fact that Erikson manages to make them all so varied and memorable shows how brilliant the series really is.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well it's a bit like reading a fantasy version of Gravity's Rainbow.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

He's also a lot less 'powerful' in GotM than he is 'revealed' to be in the rest of the series, where he's definitely on par with Ascendants and arguably with Elder Gods at times versus just being generic archmage.

Isn't this what all of the Archmages are? The squad mages are small fries and the cadre mages fit more into the standard RPG concept of a wizard as a counterpart to a normal adventurer, but all of the high/arch mages I can think of are on par with some of the gods shown in the series.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Right but the point was that isn't really clear in Gardens of the Moon.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
A question about the Elder Warrens. Do all of them negate modern magic, the way the T'lan Imass does? And the Elder Warrens do exist in another time, correct?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Right but the point was that isn't really clear in Gardens of the Moon.

Yeah, but to be fair, I think that was mostly a matter of lacking context, which made a lot of significant GotM events unclear. Tayschrenn manages to deflect Rake's attacks and take chunks of Moon's Spawn out in return, which I think hints at big things given we later learn that Rake is one of the most powerful ascendant beings - if not the most powerful - in existence at the time. And it's entity possible he is deliberately hiding his strength, as he clearly has plenty of secrets at that point in the timeline. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think his later power is much of a retcon.

If anything was retconned, it was making him a non-idiot, because you never again see the wanton stupidity and misjudgment of people he displays in Gardens.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

A question about the Elder Warrens. Do all of them negate modern magic, the way the T'lan Imass does? And the Elder Warrens do exist in another time, correct?

Uh, as it turns out, none of them really do. That was really something that seemed to change after the first book. Maybe the First Sword of the TI has this power, but he never manifests it again, so... It's a but weird.

I'm not sure what you mean with your last question. The Elder Warrens are still around....and I would probably say that it's a property of all Warrens that time doesn't function quite like normal within them, though to varying degrees depending on circumstances. Which book are you on? You get to go inside an Elder Warren in book 2.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Holy poo poo, just finished Deadhouse Gates and the last third or so of the book did not let up at all but what's funny, of all the things that happened and all the mysteries left unresolved.. I really want to know what that marine wrote to Duiker.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

thecallahan posted:

Holy poo poo, just finished Deadhouse Gates and the last third or so of the book did not let up at all but what's funny, of all the things that happened and all the mysteries left unresolved.. I really want to know what that marine wrote to Duiker.

red weddings are for fags.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Habibi posted:

Uh, as it turns out, none of them really do. That was really something that seemed to change after the first book. Maybe the First Sword of the TI has this power, but he never manifests it again, so... It's a but weird.

Doesn't Tool use this power in The Crippled God too, suggesting maybe it wasn't reconned out?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

thecallahan posted:

If you read the scene at the end where the two things find Duiker, they read the note and it's her name, Sa'yless Lorthal.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Habibi posted:

No, he is immortal. The century candles no longer extend his life so much as his vigor.

E:fb pretty much.

Kind of what I meant, yeah. I'd say he's not a full on immortal since he's not ageless, only undying.

amuayse posted:

Yes and no. They existed before and are of a different sort of magic than the warrens, so oratatal doesn't affect them. As for negating magic itself, only Tool and the Forkul Assaial holds seemed to be able to do that on the regular.

The Holds exist simultaneously with the warrens, they're just old as poo poo and kinda alien to most humans.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 6, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kind of what I meant, yeah. I'd say he's not a full on immortal since he's not ageless, only undying.

But...that's what immortal means?

Masonity posted:

Doesn't Tool use this power in The Crippled God too, suggesting maybe it wasn't reconned out?

Maybe. I just started my reread of TCG yesterday, so it's possible I don't recall enough of the events.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Habibi posted:

But...that's what immortal means?

I'm reading David Foster Wallace "Everything and More" book on infinite and this discussion is particularly suited ;)

I think it's about what you consider "infinite" (immortal), and the idea of limit in math. So basically he's not immortal since he keeps stretching a finite amount. So he keeps getting closer to "0" (death) without reaching it.

And since Aristotle (or Pythagoras, can't remember) said that mathematical abstractions can't be actualized in reality, it means that sooner or later he'll actually die. Hence not immortal.

Or Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the turtle...

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 6, 2013

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Abalieno posted:

I'm reading David Foster Wallace "Everything and More" book on infinite and this discussion is particularly suited ;)

I think it's about what you consider "infinite" (immortal), and the idea of limit in math. So basically he's not immortal since he keeps stretching a finite amount. So he keeps getting closer to "0" (death) without reaching it.

And since Aristotle (or Pythagoras, can't remember) said that mathematical abstractions can't be actualized in reality, it means that sooner or later he'll actually die. Hence not immortal.

Or Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the turtle...

Ditch that book immediately - DFW is a great writer in general but not here. He botches tons of mathematical facts and proofs. He 100% screws up critical definitions and mangles many others. There are many good books on infinity and Cantor's diagonalization argument. That isn't one of them. It is also generally poorly written with mathematical language and definitions which ends up impressing non-mathematicians by sheer complexity but depressing people who actually read proofs.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Abalieno posted:

I think it's about what you consider "infinite" (immortal)

Neither of these things are true, sorry, and attempting to insert DFW's bizarre observations on mathematical infinity into a fantasy universe is...well, I don't want to say dumb, so I'll posit that perhaps you just have too much time on your hands. ;)

Look up the definition of immortal, and it describes Kallor (life unending, regardless of what you perceive as stretching or whatever). Fin.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Azath houses are sentient, right?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

The Azath houses are sentient, right?

definitely maybe

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

definitely maybe

Pretty much this. I think the only explicit note on this in the books - and I may be wrong but this is my recollection - is that the Azath is a force of / strives for balance. Azath houses also seek/appoint guardians, don't open their doors for just anyone, etc... Whether this is all a matter of sentience or biological (or whatever) imperative (in other words, instinct), I don't think is ever broached.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Habibi posted:

Pretty much this. I think the only explicit note on this in the books - and I may be wrong but this is my recollection - is that the Azath is a force of / strives for balance. Azath houses also seek/appoint guardians, don't open their doors for just anyone, etc... Whether this is all a matter of sentience or biological (or whatever) imperative (in other words, instinct), I don't think is ever broached.

Someone/thing is also giving the Nameless Ones their marching orders, or, at the very least, information on what's happening with all things Azath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

you can't prove that. i'm of the opinion that ole silchas ruin started hearing poo poo after a couple thousand years buried in the dirt