Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jan posted:

This is kind of a loaded question, but is Gentoo still a good distro? I've been using it on my home gateway/media/everything server for a while now, making the switch to hardened and overall keeping up with new features. By the looks of it, gentoo's been seeing less and less development, although it still seems alright on the server front.

My previous server died, and I'm just getting around to building a new one... I'm tempted to stick with gentoo just because I'm used to it, but that's usually one of the worst reasons for loyalty to a given product.
Nowadays, just use Debian or Ubuntu unless you have a really good reason not to. We're long past the days where you needed to run bleeding-edge software on a home media server because the stable stuff just didn't work worth a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There is no reason at all to spend hours and hours compiling. Binary packages are just as fast.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Jan posted:

This is kind of a loaded question, but is Gentoo still a good distro? I've been using it on my home gateway/media/everything server for a while now, making the switch to hardened and overall keeping up with new features. By the looks of it, gentoo's been seeing less and less development, although it still seems alright on the server front.

My previous server died, and I'm just getting around to building a new one... I'm tempted to stick with gentoo just because I'm used to it, but that's usually one of the worst reasons for loyalty to a given product.
I stand at a similar decision right now. I will probably still stick with gentoo, because that bit of whatever ( I don't even know what ) you get from a more active distro is just not worth relearning all that management stuff.

If you do make the switch, tell me how hard it was please.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

spankmeister posted:

There is no reason at all to spend hours and hours compiling. Binary packages are just as fast.

If you have enough computers running Gentoo you can use distcc and farm the compile jobs out. Throw ccache into the mix and the only things you end up compiling between updates are the files with changed code. Plus processors these days are just super fast at compiling anyways.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

If you have enough computers running Gentoo you can use distcc and farm the compile jobs out. Throw ccache into the mix and the only things you end up compiling between updates are the files with changed code. Plus processors these days are just super fast at compiling anyways.

Yeah, the only times I've really even noticed compilation times was for things with notoriously long compile times, like the gcc toolchain or whatever the crypto library was. And since it's on a server, compilation times are kind of a non-issue because it doesn't interfere with my actual workstation and I can keep on doing something else.

I'm mostly worried that I might run into cases of important packages not getting updated in a timely fashion due to decreasing dev support.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

The set of useful information about drivers on any modern Linux system is probably close to:
  • The version of the kernel, as reported by uname -a.
  • The origin of the kernel image (distro package, custom built, etc.)
    • If it's a distro kernel, the distro package it's from and the relevant version.
    • If it's a custom kernel, the .config for it. If the person who built the kernel wasn't insane, they turned on the option that stores this in /proc/config.gz or put a copy in /boot.
  • The list of modules available; this information should be extractable from the .config, but it's useful to have it in this form as well.
  • For any modules that aren't part of the kernel source:
    • The origin of that module, which is hopefully a distro package.
    • The version of that module.
    • The kernel version and .config that module was built against, which should be identical to what you're running.
  • The contents of the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory, which determines which modules are blacklisted and what options are being passed to modules.
  • The output of lsmod, which lists which modules are loaded.
  • The origins and versions of any relevant files in the /lib/firmware directory. If in doubt, just record everything; almost all of it should be coming from a small number of distro packages.
There is additional runtime information located in /sys/modules and /proc, in addition to the general kernel log, but the above should be enough to tell you what you need to get an identical system configured identically.

Edit: Note that if you're comparing systems, two systems can have identical hardware support while having wildly different configurations. In particular, drivers can be compiled into the kernel rather than built as modules, modprobe can be used to muck about extensively with module names and bindings, and distros frequently backport important driver changes to much older kernel versions as part of their long-term support processes.

I am a bit late, but thank you very much for this information. It is proving to be a relatively difficult endeavor for the reasons you listed, but I have a better grip on it now thanks to your input.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

You know what they're even faster at? Not compiling! :toot:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
And if you do want bleeding edge, Arch. If nothing else, AUR is wonderful. Not sure how well Ubuntu's PPA system compares at this point.

Although, I am getting tired of Arch breaking everything all the time, but I should probably also not wait so long to update.

Awesomewm, however, gets no such excuse. They break everything with every release just because.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Back in the day I used to run Debian experimental and added some external repos. You don't always have to have the whole system running the latest and greatest to get what you want.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
As a nerd project I'm putting together a file server for FTP, streaming stuff through PlexApp and TeamSpeak. I was going to put the latest Lubuntu on there since I've been using 11.10 for about 2 years now and I know how to do everything I want in it. My question is would it be worth it to move up to a Linux with an actual Server version? The only reason I've used Lubuntu for so long is I get some perverse joy out of making 15 year old hardware useful again and Lubuntu is the lightest OS I'm smart enough to figure out.

Since the box I'm putting together will actually have modern specs that's no longer a concern, but does switching over to Ubuntu Server (or any other distro) offer any significant benefits since I'm still only going to be running this thing at a residential level?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Takes No Damage posted:

As a nerd project I'm putting together a file server for FTP, streaming stuff through PlexApp and TeamSpeak. I was going to put the latest Lubuntu on there since I've been using 11.10 for about 2 years now and I know how to do everything I want in it. My question is would it be worth it to move up to a Linux with an actual Server version? The only reason I've used Lubuntu for so long is I get some perverse joy out of making 15 year old hardware useful again and Lubuntu is the lightest OS I'm smart enough to figure out.

Since the box I'm putting together will actually have modern specs that's no longer a concern, but does switching over to Ubuntu Server (or any other distro) offer any significant benefits since I'm still only going to be running this thing at a residential level?

It comes down to personal preference. If I were going to setup a server for myself I'd use CentOS 6.4 minimal install but that is because I'm more comfortable working it.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Takes No Damage posted:

Ubuntu server will be a fair bit lighter than lubuntu. Unless you really want a gui then probably just go for Ubuntu server. There's not going to be much different between the two for your experience level/use case besides default installed packages.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably just stick with Lubuntu then, just wanted to spot-check that there wasn't a distro that was widely favored for an always-on server setup. I theoretically know how do to everything I need in CLI, but no way am I moving files around and configuring stuff without a mouse :) I was only apprehensive because while 11.x has always been rock solid for me, 12.x ran like poo poo and crashed everywhere and shipped with some pretty bad bugs (Samba etc), but so far 13.x seems quite a bit better.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't be a pussy and learn the command line.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thats funny; I use lubuntu at work and I can't even think of what the gui file manager looks like.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
There's nothing like http://www.google.com/inputtools/windows/ for Linux, is there?

I type in Cyrillic often enough, but not so often that I'd learn to touch type the proper Russian keyboard layout, so transliteration IMEs are the best option for me. Sadly the only access to them now is via copy paste from Google Translate's webpage or translit.cc, which isn't as nice as direct in-app typing.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

fivre posted:

There's nothing like http://www.google.com/inputtools/windows/ for Linux, is there?

I type in Cyrillic often enough, but not so often that I'd learn to touch type the proper Russian keyboard layout, so transliteration IMEs are the best option for me. Sadly the only access to them now is via copy paste from Google Translate's webpage or translit.cc, which isn't as nice as direct in-app typing.

There should be an IBus IME for that.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've got a linux device, and I was wondering if there's any way to get it to automatically connect to my wifi network when it's in range, and then when the network connection is up upload a few files to ftp/a server/internet?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So... what is the power on hours actually reading here? The HDD is out of a Lenovo T400 I bought off eBay.
code:
smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [x86_64-linux-3.10.2] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, [url]http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net[/url]

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     TOSHIBA MK2556GSYF
Serial Number:    11FFT478T
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 301702dae
Firmware Version: LJ001D
User Capacity:    250,059,350,016 bytes [250 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
code:
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 128
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   100   100   001    Pre-fail  Always       -       1338
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   086   086   000    Old_age   Always       -       336166
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       1464
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       1052
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       207
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       5804
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       36 (Min/Max 4/76)
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       53061101
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       152965155
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0032   088   088   000    Old_age   Always       -       304164
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       45872226659
242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       39762267457
254 Free_Fall_Sensor        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       145

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged
I've never seen a drive with such ridiculous SMART data that isn't trashed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The RAW_VALUE field is technically drive-specific and meaningless in general, the only thing that matters is VALUE, WORST and THRESH.

edit: Although, in this case, THRESH appears to also be complete nonsense.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

pseudorandom name posted:

The RAW_VALUE field is technically drive-specific and meaningless in general, the only thing that matters is VALUE, WORST and THRESH.

edit: Although, in this case, THRESH appears to also be complete nonsense.

It's not specifically nonsense, I believe a threshold of zero means "informational" and not a direct indicator that the drive is about to fail.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jan posted:

If you're wanting something that's getting worked on a bit more yet is still in sync with Gentoo look at Funtoo, it's a derivative of Gentoo run by Gentoo's founder, one of the biggest advantages is that you get a git based portage tree and you don't lose anything, at all, that tree syncs with Gentoo's every 12 hours.

http://www.funtoo.org/wiki/Welcome

Japex fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 30, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crankit posted:

I've got a linux device, and I was wondering if there's any way to get it to automatically connect to my wifi network when it's in range, and then when the network connection is up upload a few files to ftp/a server/internet?

You could write a script that attempts to ping your router until successful, and then runs your program.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s&client=safari

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

You could write a script that attempts to ping your router until successful, and then runs your program.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s&client=safari

Or you could use NetworkManager along with NM's dispatcher.d scripts, which handles both problems.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Crankit posted:

Bob Morales posted:

evol262 posted:

Or you could use NetworkManager along with NM's dispatcher.d scripts, which handles both problems.

Or if your Linux device does not use NetworkManager, there is probably another place where you can hook your file upload script to.

For example, all the DHCP clients I have used (dhclient, dhcpcd, pump) offer a way to run scripts when a network interface gets an IP address.
For wifi interfaces, the software component that handles the actual wifi authentication might offer much the same: for example, with wpa_supplicant, you need to run wpa_cli to specify an "action script" that will be run when the state of the wifi interface changes.

Usually those scripts will also receive the relevant details about the network in some easily processible form (e.g. environment variables or script arguments), so detecting that you're connecting to your network instead of someone else's should be pretty easy.

To sum up: what you're asking is not only almost certainly possible, but there are probably multiple ways to make it happen.

Giving more detailed advice would require knowing a bit more about the device: from the facts that it is wifi-capable, "a linux device" and probably at least somewhat portable, I can only guess that it's probably something more than a basic Raspberry Pi, but something smaller than a desktop computer. That does not exactly narrow it down very much. :v:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

telcoM posted:

Or if your Linux device does not use NetworkManager, there is probably another place where you can hook your file upload script to.

For example, all the DHCP clients I have used (dhclient, dhcpcd, pump) offer a way to run scripts when a network interface gets an IP address.
For wifi interfaces, the software component that handles the actual wifi authentication might offer much the same: for example, with wpa_supplicant, you need to run wpa_cli to specify an "action script" that will be run when the state of the wifi interface changes.

Usually those scripts will also receive the relevant details about the network in some easily processible form (e.g. environment variables or script arguments), so detecting that you're connecting to your network instead of someone else's should be pretty easy.

To sum up: what you're asking is not only almost certainly possible, but there are probably multiple ways to make it happen.

Giving more detailed advice would require knowing a bit more about the device: from the facts that it is wifi-capable, "a linux device" and probably at least somewhat portable, I can only guess that it's probably something more than a basic Raspberry Pi, but something smaller than a desktop computer. That does not exactly narrow it down very much. :v:

Thanks to all of you, I think I've got the script to run when it connects to WiFi. It is a rasperry pi, but later I will be doing something similar with a beaglebone. It's headless and without keyboard/mouse and when I checked my APs log the device didn't automatically connect as it came into range of the AP. Is it just a matter of time near the AP (I might have gone by too fast?) or would I need to set something so that it constantly scans for the network and connects when it comes within range?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Crankit posted:

Thanks to all of you, I think I've got the script to run when it connects to WiFi. It is a rasperry pi, but later I will be doing something similar with a beaglebone. It's headless and without keyboard/mouse and when I checked my APs log the device didn't automatically connect as it came into range of the AP. Is it just a matter of time near the AP (I might have gone by too fast?) or would I need to set something so that it constantly scans for the network and connects when it comes within range?

NetworkManager or WICD, please.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone know why Libre/OpenOffice insist on filling up /tmp with huge files and only cleaning up some of them occasionally?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Probably because /tmp is supposed to be erased after every boot, so the developers think they shouldn't have to worry about cleaning up after themselves.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well yeah but Libreoffice is the only program I use regularly that can fill up 1G of /tmp space and crash without removing any of it, even after restarting.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Is it possible to see nvidia Video Bios information if the drivers haven't been installed manually? Google seems to indicate that 'lspci' could contain that information but I cannot seem to find anything even on the most verbose settings.

EDIT: By 'information', I specifically am requesting the video bios version.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 1, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Rusty Kettle posted:

Is it possible to see nvidia Video Bios information if the drivers haven't been installed manually? Google seems to indicate that 'lspci' could contain that information but I cannot seem to find anything even on the most verbose settings.

EDIT: By 'information', I specifically am requesting the video bios version.

code:
dmesg | grep nouveau | grep -i bios

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

evol262 posted:

code:
dmesg | grep nouveau | grep -i bios

You are a great pal. I could have sworn I grepped the hell out of dmesg but I guess not.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BlackMK4 posted:

So... what is the power on hours actually reading here? The HDD is out of a Lenovo T400 I bought off eBay.

I've never seen a drive with such ridiculous SMART data that isn't trashed.

Is that an SSD? I usually see smartctl spitting out hilariously wrong numbers on them like drives that have power on hours that put their production back in the 1980s.

edit: smartctl man page

quote:

Solid-state drives use different meanings for some of the attributes. In this case the attribute name printed by smartctl is incorrect unless the drive is already in the smartmontools drive database.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 1, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Salt Fish posted:

Is that an SSD? I usually see smartctl spitting out hilariously wrong numbers on them like drives that have power on hours that put their production back in the 1980s.

Nah - spinny Toshiba 250GB drive. Nothing mission critical on the laptop so I guess I'll run it until it dies.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone care to help with a postfix issue I am having?

Monitoring Server Name = Monitor
My Domain Name = work.com
Service account on linux box = mon

I brought up a monitoring appliance (running Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS). I am using postfix to send mail for internal use through an Exchange box. Currently when I send a test email from the command line, it will show up and come from "mon@Monitor"@work.com

Those quotes are in there as well.

I have been hacking around to get this to send email as Monitor@work.com, but am having no luck.

I think I am on the right path, but of someone could point out my issues it would be appreciated.

In main.cf I added the line: smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
Then in /etc/postfix/generic I have tried a handful of different lines, but cannot get it to change when the email arrives in an inbox.
Some things I have tried are:
@Monitor Monitor@work.com
mon@Monitor Monitor@work.com
"mon@Monitor" Monitor@work.com

And about a dozen different permutations, still no dice.

Any pointers?

Edit:

Getting farther along. Changed the myorgin line in main.cf from Monitor@work.com to work.com

Now sending mails just comes from mon@work.com

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 2, 2013

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

Well yeah but Libreoffice is the only program I use regularly that can fill up 1G of /tmp space and crash without removing any of it, even after restarting.

LibreOffice is poorly coded. That's especially problematic with tmpfs and no swap space.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I talked to the LibreOffice guys yesterday. They know about the issue, but it's a difficult thing to get rid of (because so many things depend on having that tmpfile mapped).

Using tmpfs for /tmp is the easiest thing for now. Sorry.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to take another crack at this. I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC OpenElec that is connected to my stereo system a short distance from me. Using my Android phone I can send audio to it over the wifi. Podcasts, Youtube videos, and music when using certain programs. Is there any means of doing this via a program via Linux? It'd be lovely if I could use the computer to control and play Google Music and have it streamed over the network to my stereo. Are there Banshee plugins of some sort that can manage this? XBMC has uPnP and Airplay support.

Theoretically I could install a new browser like Chromium, set an audio channel to loopback and stream the audio via ffmpeg to myself but that seems like a sloppy solution since I bounce from spotify to google music to banshee depending on what library I want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

I'm going to take another crack at this. I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC OpenElec that is connected to my stereo system a short distance from me. Using my Android phone I can send audio to it over the wifi. Podcasts, Youtube videos, and music when using certain programs. Is there any means of doing this via a program via Linux? It'd be lovely if I could use the computer to control and play Google Music and have it streamed over the network to my stereo. Are there Banshee plugins of some sort that can manage this? XBMC has uPnP and Airplay support.

Theoretically I could install a new browser like Chromium, set an audio channel to loopback and stream the audio via ffmpeg to myself but that seems like a sloppy solution since I bounce from spotify to google music to banshee depending on what library I want to use.

Any other RAOP client may work (RAOP2 is questionably supported). stream2ip is common. I'd probably set it up as a PulseAudio sink, though.