Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

No this is for my Rhulic army. It's got a solid base with Madhammer, Thor, Driller, 2x Gunners & Blasters, and the Arcanist Corps. I figure some hitty inf might be good to flesh it out. I just know the rhulic inf have a spotty rep, but I haven't really heard a lot about the forgeguard specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

albany academy posted:

I have the opportunity to pick up some forgeguards, has anyone used them? are they awesome? worth maybe $40? looking at the stats, it looks like they're basically small-based demo corps, but have the armour bonus as a passive instead, and have actual weaponmaster. Critical smite looks like potential bonkers too.

Worth it for Cygnar, and I guess sometimes worth it for Menoth? Although I don't remember the last time I saw a Menoth player use them, honestly.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Syrnn posted:

I've been trying to get into Skorne after a long pause from playing. I've been playing Protectorate of Menoth for a few years now, mostly comfortable with Feora2 and Reznik, both of whom have been very good to me. My issue is trying to get Mordikaar to work at the start (35pts and below), as I really fell in love with his model as much as his story. I feel like somehow I'm biting off more than I can chew with this task, though, as I've asked on the PP boards before with little to no attention to the thread. Any goons able to take me under their wings on Skorne? Anyone I should be looking to play instead? I just want to know I didn't burn money on infantry for a faction that doesn't like them.

First of all Skorne is awesome and Mordikaar is a great caster he has his issues but he is definitely a good caster. That being said if you haven't played for awhile and are inexperienced with Hordes factions in general then he is not the caster I would suggest you play first. My usual recommendations are Epic Makeda or PMorgs both have small spell lists and are pretty straight forward. The second problem you may be having is that a lot of Hordes casters simply do not function at all under 50 points, and game balance seems to settle best at this point level (for hordes in particular) many casters can't get a workable list at 35 points and under so keep that in mind

The Skorne infantry options are in my opinion :awesomelon:, the weakest choices being Paingiver Blood Runners and Praetorian Karax. The former because I dislike having a max unit of 6 on a small based unit meant to kill infantry and because we have other, better options for the same role. And the later because Praetorian Swordsmen are the same cost BUT they they will actually get work done and they have a sweet attachment to boot. That being said because Karax are a cheap unit I wouldn't discount them just on my say so, the same goes for Blood Runners one of the players in my area loves them with eMorgs.

Also avoid the PP skorne Faction forums like they have the bubonic plague, there is the odd sticky that is helpful but most of the time I use it as a source of entertainment for myself and my playing group. Not too long ago a great thread about how mediocre and disappointing the will breaker was outside of Mammoth lists provided me with an endless amount of laughter (a solo with Puppet Master, Ancillary Attack and Beast Master.

My suggestion is to post a few of your mordi lists for feedback there is a number of Skorne players that can critique your list for you.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 5, 2013

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

S.J. posted:

Worth it for Cygnar, and I guess sometimes worth it for Menoth? Although I don't remember the last time I saw a Menoth player use them, honestly.

They're ok if you pair them with harby & an attendant priest, but menoth isn't lacking in good infantry options right now.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah, I'm talking mainly Seaforge. I'm not going competitive with seaforge, just for fun with friends. They look really cool, 10 mans for 8 points is pretty great, even if they're single-wound.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Then yes, you'll want at least one unit.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I'm starting what is basically a slow grow with some friends and have decided to play Cryx as my WM faction as a compliment to my Trolls. I basically had to choose between Legion, Convergence or Cryx (the others are Crygnar*, Khador, Circle and I didn't want to double up). They don't know what new faction I'm selecting (they think Convergence right now) I can't wait to reveal to them that I am the worst person on earth.

I would have gone with an Aurora list but it seems a bit limited and I have always wanted to make a Skarre list and also paint Banes and Satyxis units. Going to be fun.

*this typo reflects the horrifying future for our new Cygnar player.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You guys starting with just the Battlegroups?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

For starting with Legion, is starting with the Battlegroup and the two-player box thingy a good purchase?

Actually, since my friends are looking into this too, does this also hold up for Circle, Protectorate, and Khador?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Yeah, we've got two new players, a guy who has played for a little while and myself. I've probably got the most experience playing the game but I've never fielded a WM faction and figure it will be fun to start one with the other guys. I'm going to come up with some rules so we grow to 15 points in month two, 20 points month three etc. The plan is to have a bit of stuff together in six months and experienced players and run a bit of a campaign.

I want these guys to play Iron Kingdoms with me and try to weave our Warmachine battles in with the IK story.

Dirty_Moses posted:

For starting with Legion, is starting with the Battlegroup and the two-player box thingy a good purchase?

Actually, since my friends are looking into this too, does this also hold up for Circle, Protectorate, and Khador?

The two player one is basically a battlebox + unit and the value for money is great. Circle is probably the weakest since the Argus beast isn't great, but everything else is a good kick off point and will let you learn the game.

If you're talking about buying a battlebox and the two player thing for one faction, you're probably going to end up with too many light beasts and double up on caster. Usually you'd go battlebox, then a unit (in the case of the two player box, you've got a unit from the outset), then a solo, then beasts/jacks/units as you choose to grow.

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 5, 2013

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

albany academy posted:

No this is for my Rhulic army. It's got a solid base with Madhammer, Thor, Driller, 2x Gunners & Blasters, and the Arcanist Corps. I figure some hitty inf might be good to flesh it out. I just know the rhulic inf have a spotty rep, but I haven't really heard a lot about the forgeguard specifically.

I use them regularly with my Highborn Covenant armies so here are my best answers for you. They hit like a ton of bricks. Seriously, anything they get a charge off on or walk into combat with will be dead. Pow 11 Weapon Masters on the charge is a sight to behold. The Crit effect is nice but requires some timing as you don't want to knock someone out of combat before their buddies have had a chance to swing. I deploy mine in little groups of 3, with two guys up front and one guy in behind all in base to base, so to get the Defensive Line bonus as ARM 18 is very solid. They will still get torn up but can shrug off AOE damage fairly well and Rhupert Carvolo handing out Tough/Fearless usually ensures that a handful get into the mix.

Downsides is that SPD 4 is rough and DEF 10 means no one will miss an attack. SPD 4 is my biggest problem as it can really hinder them in the mid-game as the army goes for objectives and wants to start getting charges off. Finding a way around this speed problem is really the crux of using them well for me. I use them with Ashlynn for Quicken and Ossrum for his "Surprise Forgeguard and Drillers!" feat turn. Ossrum loves having a unit around.

If you are going to use them with Seaforge lists, you will have a bit of a leg up as you get an extra 4 inch deployment but Durgen has no way to speed them up. That said, I don't own Durgen Madhammer yet and have not used him. He is probably next on my Caster rotation for games but I don't have him yet. I do have Gorten and Ossrum for what its worth. That said, I'm looking forward to Durgen for his spell Primed, which will be hysterical I think. Toss it on a unit of Steelheads, or the Risen, or Devil Dogs and watch the fireworks. If I'm reading it right, once someone dies with Primed, everyone takes that POW 14 blast damage which is no joke for infantry, and heavy stuff on his feat turn. However, I don't think Forgeguard are a good unit for that spell. They already hit fairly well with Mat 7 and Pow 11 Weapon Masters will kill just most things. They want to bunch up for Defensive Line which gets negated due to Primed and when they explode, they will kill their buddies. That said, spreading them out and using them as tiny dwarven missiles could have its uses. Let me know how it goes!

I have been toying with the idea of using Tactical Arcanist Corps as a Smoke Screen for my Forgeguard, especially when I swing back around to playing Ossrum. Have the Forgeguard break into three groups for Defensive Line and have one of the Arcanist Corps pop his Smoke Cloud in front of each group and move forward that way. I've not had a chance to play it out yet but it seems like a good idea for casters who can't speed them up. I've always found that if I can't speed them up, they just get shot to hell. In theory, this may help alleviate that. I will give it a go once I get my Arcanist Corps painted up.

In the end, get them. Its a great unit but not without troubles. Just about every Seaforge list I see takes at least one, if not two especially with Ossrum. If you ever expand into Highborn Covenant, Ashlynn and Constance Blaize will ALWAYS have a place for them in their lists and I've taken them with Damiano before and enjoyed my Pow 14 Weapon Masters with Armor 21 for his feat turn.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
I am so stoked.

The Warmachine Kickstarter got my mind back into playing this after two or three years, and I've been digging out everything to see what all I have and to get something playable together.

I've been working on Menoth and almost have everything ready to have a painted 25pts together, and I'm doing a commission for my buddy to paint his Cryx.

My main weakness though has been Legion. I've always been far too intimidated in painting them since they're so unique, and I've broken through my mindblock on the subject!

As usual, my photos definitely make things look worse. I'm thrilled I finally figured out how to paint the paintscheme. I attempted a different one, more pink with blackish rocks, but wasn't a fan of it and tried the regular.

And I just stabbed my thumb with a file putting together the Nyss Archers behind the Shredder. Drew blood. I feel real smart.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Syrnn posted:

I've been trying to get into Skorne after a long pause from playing. I've been playing Protectorate of Menoth for a few years now, mostly comfortable with Feora2 and Reznik, both of whom have been very good to me. My issue is trying to get Mordikaar to work at the start (35pts and below), as I really fell in love with his model as much as his story. I feel like somehow I'm biting off more than I can chew with this task, though, as I've asked on the PP boards before with little to no attention to the thread. Any goons able to take me under their wings on Skorne? Anyone I should be looking to play instead? I just want to know I didn't burn money on infantry for a faction that doesn't like them.

This god damned game lit a fire under my rear end, just as I thought I escaped the tiny pewter mans money trap, and I'm loving every single minute of it. So far my favourite moments have been wracking the Old Witch with Reznik (how appropriate!), having a pack of four very lucky Shredders rip apart an overeager Morghoul and his whole battlegroup in a single turn, and Dartan Vilmon doing pretty much anything with impunity.

Welcome to Skorne, the premier faction for being awesome and having good taste! Mordikaar is a solid caster, especially with Gargantuans giving him some great new options. Still, I think he suffers at any points level below 35. It's hard to find a safe spot for him without a nicely sized sea of bodies between him and your enemies' pointy sticks. I'd definitely want to know what kind of infantry you've picked up so far. His lists can look pretty different depending on whether you are using Swordsmen or Nihilators or even Karax as your Hollow target. Here's the list I would use at 35:

System: Hordes
Faction: Skorne
Casters: 1/1
Void Seer Mordikaar (*5pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Tiberion (11pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Cataphract Incindiarii (Leader and 5 Grunts) (9pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Praetorian Swordsmen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)

First off, at 35 you want to cut the support wherever you can. You want pieces on the board that can get things done. Your support is the Krea and Beast Handlers, everything else is luxury we can't afford. I find in a list without a guaranteed alpha you need two heavies at 35, because you often will have to trade one. Tiberion changes the math here a bit because his threat range with Rush is pretty respectable and he is tough enough (and DEF 14 under feat will net you the occasional lucky miss) that he can take a heavy to the face and often survive it. So we have an advantage already. Then with Mord you *generally* (and this comes with a lot of caveats) want a unit for Hollow and a unit for Revive. I find swordsmen to be the best fit for Hollow, as they don't waste the Tough, they get a good amount of work done even without the UA, and under Mord's feat they can survive some pretty hairy situations. Round out the list with Incindiarii. They are a decent second wave if you need more jam, can CRA out pesky stuff, clear out infantry like champs, and make great Revive targets. This list can initiate the piece trade in its favor against slow lists or take a hit then hit back harder against the fast stuff.

In terms of other casters, Makeda2 and Hexeris2 are great all-rounders that can make almost anything in Skorne work. After that I would look at casters like Morgoul1, Makeda1 or 3, Zaal, or Xerxis. Rasheth, Naaresh, and Hexeris1 are a bit finicky, although they can work quite well, but Morghoul2 is an underpowered caster with a difficult learning curve. I would avoid him unless he really appeals to you.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 5, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sab669 posted:

It should also be noted that Discount Games also offers free shipping on orders over $50, so indirectly an even deeper discount than the war store.

But is this for europe as well?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, no, it's US only.

quote:

Orders Subtotaling More Than $50:
The shipping fee charged at check out will be an estimate based upon the value of your order. When your package ships, you may qualify for a refund based on this formula:
(shipping amount paid at check out + 5% of the value of the order) – actual shipping cost = refund

This will usually result in a refund, but if the actual shipping cost is greater than the shipping amount paid and 5% of the value of your order, there will be no shipping refund.

That's their international shipping.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

With Europe, it's better to stick with Firestorm Games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I'm thinking of repainting my Legion-- bright fluorescent pink and blue and possibly orange. I want some Tzeentch styled color blending on their capes, anyone have any good guides for this? Also, any idea what color flesh might go good with that?

I might be able to borrow my roommate's new airbrush as well :D

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Flipswitch posted:

With Europe, it's better to stick with Firestorm Games.

Agreed. Great service from them.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Serotonin posted:

Agreed. Great service from them.

I've been having a few issues with them, it's taken them months to get me some models (and even one of them had a mispack) but I'm suspecting that it's a supplier issue as other retailers are out of stock too. I'm still waiting on a couple of models - four months and counting.

Not going to fault their customer service though - the bits that Firestorm can control have been excellent.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There are huge delays through the PP line entirely and mispacks are relatively common from PP unfortunately.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
A couple of pics of the first painting I have done in about five years. I was really proud of them until I saw the pics. Of course, I have no idea how to properly use a camera. I promise they look a lot better on the table :(

My Woldwarden. I am going for a wood look.

Warp Wolf. I was going for palomino here. I dig these guys.

The Juggie my 8yo son and I worked on together. We were learning to airbrush at the time, and I see we missed quite a few spots. The kids plays with this thing all day. It is currently murdering his army men as I post this. I think he enjoys that a lot more than he does actually playing WarmaHordes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Battlegroup complete!

Working on Aurora now, and I cannot keep that model together to save my life.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Dregs posted:

The Juggie my 8yo son and I worked on together. We were learning to airbrush at the time, and I see we missed quite a few spots. The kids plays with this thing all day. It is currently murdering his army men as I post this. I think he enjoys that a lot more than he does actually playing WarmaHordes.

This is the best :3:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I should make it clear that it's supposed to be orange. Kid has a thing for orange and blue together. On everything.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Dregs posted:

I should make it clear that it's supposed to be orange. Kid has a thing for orange and blue together. On everything.

Let's go Mets. Or Broncos.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

theironjef posted:

I have this case:

the top can open and the front panel can either swing open like a door or come off:

The inside has rails to support these shelves:

Which further subdivide into these little metal trays:

It also has a reasonably roomy drawer:

They're made by a friend of mine who is an enterprising nerdy businessman, and I always try to pimp his wares when I can: TableWar Designs.
(I use it locally. I have yet to have need to fly with my WMH, but I have an old giant Battlefoam case I could convert to WMH if I really needed to.)

How do you keep the models from sliding around while in transit?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Omar al-Bishie posted:

The models are magnetized on the bottom and the case has metal plates on the shelves.

Such a setup needs to be pretty well-magnetized, yes, but some people like it better than foam.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gastone is gonna be sorta boring.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so is stugis.

I mean if these are limited editions, the regular sculpts better be sitting in a chair reading a book cause I'll be pissed if they're doing something more dramatic than standing around

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 6, 2013

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Those are just the concept arts the modelers/sculptors are looking at to see what the characters look like. They're not necessarily going to be doing those exact poses (although Sturgis has a not-bad pose for a warcaster, I could see that being inspiration for the pose of one of the releases - KS or regular). If you look at the KS pictures, you'll see Jakes, Andrei, and Durant are all a lot more dynamically posed than their full-art pictures.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I mean if these are limited editions, the regular sculpts better be sitting in a chair reading a book cause I'll be pissed if they're doing something more dramatic than standing around

Haha.

I'm going to play a game with this list on the weekend. I have dubbed the list "Grim Angus - I need a distraction" on war room.

System: Hordes
Faction: Trollblood
Casters: 1/1
Grim Angus (*6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
War Wagon (9pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pts)
Trollkin Long Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Horthol, Long Rider Hero (5pts)

I should have called it "I hope you like explosions you nasty little pink fucks."

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 6, 2013

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Yep, lots and lots of rare earth magnets. They're pretty cheap and easy to work with and I have them around anyway because I like to magnetize my heavies.

I do heavily prefer magnets and metal to foam when available or realistic (basically you can't fly without foam), since even soft foam will eventually take paint off the corners and edges of metal models.

Also, I haven't gotten around to doing this myself yet, but Tablewar sells overlay trays (bored out with holes of 25..30...40 mm etc. diameter) and bags of appropriately sized plastic washers that you can attach to the metal surface, then do a ground fill with glue and sand to the edges of the washers/tray. That way you can create little removable dioramas for your various models, in case you wanted to use your trays as pre-tournament display or whatever. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of when I did that for my friend's ork army.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 6, 2013

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

theironjef posted:

Yep, lots and lots of rare earth magnets. They're pretty cheap and easy to work with and I have them around anyway because I like to magnetize my heavies.

I do heavily prefer magnets and metal to foam when available or realistic (basically you can't fly without foam), since even soft foam will eventually take paint off the corners and edges of metal models.

Also, I haven't gotten around to doing this myself yet, but Tablewar sells overlay trays (bored out with holes of 25..30...40 mm etc. diameter) and bags of appropriately sized plastic washers that you can attach to the metal surface, then do a ground fill with glue and sand to the edges of the washers/tray. That way you can create little removable dioramas for your various models, in case you wanted to use your trays as pre-tournament display or whatever. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of when I did that for my friend's ork army.

Nice. Maybe someday I'll upgrade from my tupperware-based system.

Bit the bullet today and ordered some errants. Gonna get a reckoner next.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
I'm looking for advice on supplies for modeling. Tools, paints, the whole package. Last time I attempted to paint was probably 8 years ago. So I am going to need to start over from scratch I guess.

Recommendations on brands, sites to buy from for the following:

Cleaning minis - anything I should avoid. I want to say I used a drop of dish soap in a bowl of water but I don't recall.

Drill/Dremel -

Drill/Dremel bits -

Paintbrushes -

Paints -

Basing materials -

Sealant -

Anything extra?

Also need to find an cost effective storage solution for a large number of minis. Transport cases will come later, but for now I need to find someway to safely store my minis out of the way. I almost think a vidmar style storage rack would be best.

Anyway sorry for the very general post. Thank you for your time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Redchaostry posted:

Also need to find an cost effective storage solution for a large number of minis. Transport cases will come later, but for now I need to find someway to safely store my minis out of the way. I almost think a vidmar style storage rack would be best.

Anyway sorry for the very general post. Thank you for your time.

I keep the models that I don't need in my Tablewar case in a tupperware basin thing I bought at Target with a big goopily glued on piece of sheet metal on the bottom. I can drive around with it too, it's just not as sexy. I think it cost me 11 dollars in total to put it together.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 6, 2013

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I got the hordes 2 player and am having fun with a local group. I am looking to round out to 25 point without spending too much. How does this sound for units?

Warpwolf stalker. (Replacing the feral)
Warpborn alpha
Shifting stone.

I wish i didnt have to replace a figure i already own in the force but I just don't have any way of dealing with lots of weak infantry. Does anyone have any suggestions that involves buying slightly less?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Office Sheep posted:

I got the hordes 2 player and am having fun with a local group. I am looking to round out to 25 point without spending too much. How does this sound for units?

Warpborn alpha
Shifting stone.

I wish i didnt have to replace a figure i already own in the force but I just don't have any way of dealing with lots of weak infantry. Does anyone have any suggestions that involves buying slightly less?

if you want to kill infantry w/o sidelining your feral, get pkreuger or to a lesser extent a solo like lotf/bcwf. Stones and alpha are legit upgrades though, definitely get them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Office Sheep posted:

Warpborn alpha
Shifting stone.

Keep the Feral, get the alpha, the shifting stones and the shifting stone UA, and pKrueger. That should save you about 10 bux over getting the stalker.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I hate this thread and I hate Warmachine.

Im a dyed in the wool historical wargames grognard who researches authentic colours of druids snakes in pre Saxon Britain and gets concerned about facing colours on 6mm scale Napoleonic soldiers, and now Im playing with and painting steam powered robots and enjoying it (as well as spending too much on it).

FFFFF

I also have some holes in my fingers and am covered in glue from pinning while trying to repose a Scyrah Hydra to look like its firing lasers out of its Force Fists and I dont care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Plastic TFG! The implications! THE IMPLICATIONS!!! :woop:

• Locked thread