friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Conformist bluray news..

Fantastic! I almost purchased a lovely used DVD copy from a library because I couldn't wait to see it any longer. This is great news!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com confirms The Right Stuff for Nov. 5 (mainly everything from the DVD ported, plus it has a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track in 96K)

Also, here's the cartoons on the second Betty Boop disc coming in September from Olive Films (according to HTF);

DIZZY DISHES (1930)
BIMBO’S INITIATION (1931)
BOO-OOP-A-DOOP (1932)
BETTY BOOP LIMITED (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S BIZZY BEE (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S UPS AND DOWNS (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S MUSEUM (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S BIG BOSS (1933)
MORNING, NOON AND NIGHT (1933)
BETTY BOOP’S LITTLE PAL (1934)
BETTY BOOP’S PRIZE SHOW (1934)
KEEP IN STYLE (1934)

As with the first volume coming out on August 20th, all the cartoons are remastered in 4K from original negatives and fine-grains.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
haha, this is ridiculous

I don't know who would pay $80 extra for it over the normal edition which actually fits the series better.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The normal edition looks awesome, but it sure as poo poo isn't $300 awesome.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com confirms The Right Stuff for Nov. 5 (mainly everything from the DVD ported, plus it has a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track in 96K)

Also, here's the cartoons on the second Betty Boop disc coming in September from Olive Films (according to HTF);

DIZZY DISHES (1930)
BIMBO’S INITIATION (1931)
BOO-OOP-A-DOOP (1932)
BETTY BOOP LIMITED (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S BIZZY BEE (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S UPS AND DOWNS (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S MUSEUM (1932)
BETTY BOOP’S BIG BOSS (1933)
MORNING, NOON AND NIGHT (1933)
BETTY BOOP’S LITTLE PAL (1934)
BETTY BOOP’S PRIZE SHOW (1934)
KEEP IN STYLE (1934)

As with the first volume coming out on August 20th, all the cartoons are remastered in 4K from original negatives and fine-grains.

420 smoke Bimbo's Initiation every day

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver reviews Kino's release of Foolish Wives

Looks like another solid Kino silent release except they left off the color tints for some odd reason. All the supplements from the DVD are intact, too.

edit: Also, Shout! Factory has the rights to Pee-Wee's Playhouse and will release Blu-Rays using new remasters from the 35mm negatives.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 19, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Call Me Charlie posted:

haha, this is ridiculous

Should have been used for a Hannibal special edition...

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Posted to wrong thread.

HFX fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 20, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blade Runner Digibook dropped down to $14.49

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M4MB8K...12BPAMG233GW6QD

B&N has it for $13.99 - May want to go that route if you're already doing some Criterion shopping from there and get free shipping.

------

And Amazon's deal of the day is The Matrix Collection but if you can wait a month, you can save $7

$17.49

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUN21EC...PK3XTJ136JCJZ4J

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Bond 50 boxset for $109.99 for the next 16 minutes

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006U1J5ZY...8Z5XMPH2NVCEM7B

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Call Me Charlie posted:

B&N has it for $13.99 - May want to go that route if you're already doing some Criterion shopping from there and get free shipping.

B&N just reminded me why I hate shopping at their stores. I went by a local store that had this in stock but ended up getting charged $17.99 instead of $13.99 for it. Their website has the $13.99 price and shows I can pick it up at the store I bought it from, but if you just buy it in store you get a jacked up price. I was buying some Criterions and didn't even notice they charged me more until I got home. Taking everything back because screw B&N if they can't have the same price between in store vs. online + pickup in store.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, missed Blade Runner cheapness. It's about $50 in the UK too so that would've been a sweet deal.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

mod sassinator posted:

B&N just reminded me why I hate shopping at their stores. I went by a local store that had this in stock but ended up getting charged $17.99 instead of $13.99 for it. Their website has the $13.99 price and shows I can pick it up at the store I bought it from, but if you just buy it in store you get a jacked up price. I was buying some Criterions and didn't even notice they charged me more until I got home. Taking everything back because screw B&N if they can't have the same price between in store vs. online + pickup in store.

Yeah, I hate that type of bait and switch. It's the exact reason why I don't buy anything from Dick Blick Art Supplies.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

B&N just reminded me why I hate shopping at their stores. I went by a local store that had this in stock but ended up getting charged $17.99 instead of $13.99 for it. Their website has the $13.99 price and shows I can pick it up at the store I bought it from, but if you just buy it in store you get a jacked up price. I was buying some Criterions and didn't even notice they charged me more until I got home. Taking everything back because screw B&N if they can't have the same price between in store vs. online + pickup in store.

Sorry, I should have said online. If you go past $40 or something, you get free shipping.

The pHo posted:

drat, missed Blade Runner cheapness. It's about $50 in the UK too so that would've been a sweet deal.

It's under more buying choices in the corner since it slated to ship in 7 to 12 days from Amazon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh rad, thanks for that. I'm on my phone so have a bit of a limited view but was able to find it. Under half price compared to UK with postage, so well worth the month long wait they advise.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dredd 3D - $12.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LAII80...NJ76QQDJ3E226YH

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino is releasing The Stranger (Orson Welles), The Hitch-hiker, and Night Tide on Oct. 15. The Stranger will be from the Library of Congress restoration.

Also, Shout! Factory now has the rights to the iTV library previous licensed to Lionsgate (back when it was Artisan). It includes Capricorn One, On Golden Pond, and The Boys from Brazil, among others. It doesn't seem to affect the licenses for the older iTV library consisting of Alexander Korda and Rank Organization films mostly licensed to Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, Cohen Media's trailer for the 2K restoration of Intolerance is up. Should be on Blu before the end of the year with Carl Davis' orchestral score.
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/intolerance/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Star Trek TNG Season 4 preorder is down to $59.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKYHH6O...6SMD89YZF8G9G7W

And Paramount/CBS announced a Honeymooners Blu-Ray

quote:

Paramount and CBS Home Entertainment are bringing The Honeymooners: Classic 39 Episodes to Blu-ray this fall. The comprehensive collection features all 39 full-length series episodes remastered in high definition, as well as a variety of extras. Ralph, Alice, Ed and Trixie make their Blu-ray debut on October 15th.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Star Trek TNG - Season 4: $59.99

Star Trek TNG - "Redemption" Blu-ray: $12.99

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Call Me Charlie posted:

And Paramount/CBS announced a Honeymooners Blu-Ray

That's really interesting to see, and I'm glad they're taking the risk. There's a lot of old shows that were shot on film that should really get the upgrade just to make sure that they look their best. Like, I'm surprised that M*A*S*H didn't get the upgrade since that was definitely shot on film, and if it was one of the episodes they shot on the ranch (and not the soundstage), it would probably look pretty good.

If it was shot on the soundstage, well, there's nothing you can do about that. But it will still be HD!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BFI is releasing their edition of the silent Phantom of the Opera in November. The big differences from the Image edition seem to be both the 1929 and 1925 cuts in HD, Carl Davis' orchestral score on the 1929 version, clips from the partially lost 1929 sound re-cut (none of the image survives, but the complete soundtrack does), and Kevin Brownlow's documentary on Lon Chaney (which is on Warner's 2003 Chaney DVD set that's OOP).

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11768

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Pee-Wee's Playhouse is being remastered for a complete series blu-ray release in 2014. And I'll pay pretty much any price they ask because nostalgia has its cold hands around my throat.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Space_Butler posted:

Pee-Wee's Playhouse is being remastered for a complete series blu-ray release in 2014. And I'll pay pretty much any price they ask because nostalgia has its cold hands around my throat.

Dear God. Goodbye money!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like The Sword in the Stone is a mixed bag:
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-review/the-sword-in-the-stone-dual-format-edition/disney/1202

Might want to wait for other reviews. It might be like The Ten Commandments or Who Framed Roger Rabbit where the early screencaps had DVNR from the program used to capture rather than the discs themselves. I don't think Disney would let something this bad slide by, even for a minor film.

At least it's in the original 1.75:1 format finally - the last mainline Disney cel animated feature made for 1.37:1 was Peter Pan.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Resized, heavily compressed JPGs? I'd take those with a huge grain of salt.

And I thought Disney went back to original art cells to rescan instead of an actual film print?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like The Sword in the Stone is a mixed bag:
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-review/the-sword-in-the-stone-dual-format-edition/disney/1202

Might want to wait for other reviews. It might be like The Ten Commandments or Who Framed Roger Rabbit where the early screencaps had DVNR from the program used to capture rather than the discs themselves. I don't think Disney would let something this bad slide by, even for a minor film.

At least it's in the original 1.75:1 format finally - the last mainline Disney cel animated feature made for 1.37:1 was Peter Pan.

I love the sketchy art style of 60s/70s Disney. I've never seen Sword in the Stone before, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Resized, heavily compressed JPGs? I'd take those with a huge grain of salt.

And I thought Disney went back to original art cells to rescan instead of an actual film print?

They usually scan the original 35mm sequential exposure negatives in 4K and have Reliance Mediaworks do a complete digital cleanup. This is the case with the top shelf films like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

Note how the entire image looks smudged. The rest of the caps have the same look, but not as severe.

Someone on Blu-Ray.com's forums took a capture and it's even worse in spots:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7860075&postcount=179

I'm honestly surprised given Disney's mostly stellar record. I guess someone picked the wrong master or had the wrong settings without noticing.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Star Trek TNG Movies Box Set - $19.99 (July 30 only)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the 1973 Robin Hood is a proper Reliance Mediaworks cleanup:
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-review/robin-hood-dual-format-edition/disney/1204

Also, Disney announced Mary Poppins for Dec. 10th.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
The universal monster collection is an upcoming lighting deal on amazon.co.uk in about 2 hours for anyone who may care!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Even though it has a bad reputation I'm excited for the new Cavalcade release. It's the only best picture winner not available on a solitary region 1 DVD and one of the three I haven't seen.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cavalcade-Blu-ray/67414/ Going to request this from the library ASAP.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone on Blu-Ray.com's forums took a capture and it's even worse in spots:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7860075&postcount=179

Open SwordInTheStone.avi
Smart Blur
CTRL+S

Welp, we're done here folks!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Resized, heavily compressed JPGs? I'd take those with a huge grain of salt.

And I thought Disney went back to original art cells to rescan instead of an actual film print?

It looks awful and should be avoided: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sword-in-the-Stone-Blu-ray/44743/#Review

Look at this poo poo:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's weird how wide a range of quality you see on Disney's releases. I could understand if they didn't make much of an effort on films that aren't considered their major classics, but they apparently farmed this out to the lowest bidder.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Sword in the Stone is my favorite Disney movie, I'm really disappointed. :(

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Have there been any other reviews? It's so horrible that I hate to believe it- at this point if these are accurate, it's right down there with Gulliver's Travels.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BTW, there's a sale on Warner digibooks at Amazon. Cabaret, Mutiny on the Bounty '35, Driving Miss Daisy, Poltergeist, The Shawshank Redemption, and Guys and Dolls are all around $13-14 each. The Jazz Singer is only $18 - and it's a 3-disc set (first disc is Blu, supplements on two DVDs).

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Have there been any other reviews? It's so horrible that I hate to believe it- at this point if these are accurate, it's right down there with Gulliver's Travels.

Several people on Blu-Ray.com forums confirmed it. The caps on both Criterion Forum and Blu-Ray.com match. Hopefully Robert Harris on Home Theater Forum will chime in since he's generally scathing when it comes to bad releases like this.

I actually got a response from Disney's general help line, so it's going to the right people. It's one thing if it were just a little "overcooked" like The Aristocats (which still looks great besides the contrast being a bit weak), but this is like some public domain nightmare.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 5, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/the-puppetoon-movie-on-blu-ray/

B2MP.net has an exclusive limited edition (3000 copies) run of a double feature of The Puppettoon Movie and The Great Rupert. Both fully remastered from 35mm in HD with dozens of George Pal's Puppettoon shorts as extras (mix of HD remastered and SD remastered). Also includes a commentary, interviews, and a documentary on Pal.

It's a bit pricey, but not exactly a bad price considering you get two feature length movies, 20 short films, and another hour or two of extras.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

  • Locked thread