Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Koch brothers, noted proponents of Newark city schools, paid for this ad against Booker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8p4llvVh-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Kind of a weird time to run a straight hit ad; would they really prefer Rush Holt?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The Koch brothers, noted proponents of Newark city schools, paid for this ad against Booker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8p4llvVh-A

I don't understand. Isn't he basically a lock? From a distance this seems like money down the drain.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jeffersonlives posted:

Kind of a weird time to run a straight hit ad; would they really prefer Rush Holt?

This is obviously through several layers of abstraction from them. The guy who runs the organization funding it used to work for AFP, etc. I'm betting the strategy is to spend a little to weaken him in the primary and maybe drive his numbers down enough that Pallone or Holt comes close enough that someone funds them and really unloads on Booker. Or, more likely, this dude got access to a pot of Koch bucks and used it to fund this. Anyway, they paid for this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYjwZa1ACM

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jack of Hearts posted:

I don't understand. Isn't he basically a lock? From a distance this seems like money down the drain.

For the Koch brothers this "money" would be roughly equivalent to you or me filing Abe's nose off of a penny.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're never gonna give up on this hashtag poo poo are they?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

If it didn't take too much money to do, I would love to see enough popular hype generated about a candidate, cause or something to the point the Kochs would throw enough money at it, it would actually deplete their wealth significantly. Unfortunately they have all the money and it would be next to impossible to do.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Highspeeddub posted:

If it didn't take too much money to do, I would love to see enough popular hype generated about a candidate, cause or something to the point the Kochs would throw enough money at it, it would actually deplete their wealth significantly. Unfortunately they have all the money and it would be next to impossible to do.

Well, each brother is worth about 25 billion, so if they sold off all of their assets now, they could fund both sides in a presidential election full for the next quarter-century.

More realistically, I imagine they never touch their assets for campaign money, but simply draw off a significant portion from new income.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

TheBalor posted:

Well, each brother is worth about 25 billion, so if they sold off all of their assets now, they could fund both sides in a presidential election full for the next quarter-century.

More realistically, I imagine they never touch their assets for campaign money, but simply draw off a significant portion from new income.

Exactly, they can fund multiple campaigns at any given time just drawing from the interest they earn from their billions in an hour. There is no way to significantly drain their wealth because they have so much of it. Contributing to political campaigns doesn't really create any dips in their financials.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
They can't last that much longer. Anyone got the good word on the next generations?
It would be an amusing thought, one of them passing on juuuust as Hillary declares.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And McAuliffe proves that he's quite happy to give Cuccinelli the votes needed to ensure a Republican victory in Virginia. Drudge is now making a big deal of a WaPo article which shows that a company that McAuliffe ran as recently as last year is now under an SEC investigation. Expect this to start making the rounds more loudly in coming days (Fox News hasn't picked it up yet as far as I can tell, but it seems like good anti-Obama fodder if the Washington Times's interest is anything worth noting [see paragraph 5])

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 2, 2013

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Highspeeddub posted:

Exactly, they can fund multiple campaigns at any given time just drawing from the interest they earn from their billions in an hour. There is no way to significantly drain their wealth because they have so much of it. Contributing to political campaigns doesn't really create any dips in their financials.

Nationalize it. :getin:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And McAuliffe proves that he's quite happy to give Cuccinelli the votes needed to ensure a Republican victory in Virginia. Drudge is now making a big deal of a WaPo article which shows that a company that McAuliffe ran as recently as last year is now under an SEC investigation. Expect this to start making the rounds more loudly in coming days (Fox News hasn't picked it up yet as far as I can tell, but it seems like good anti-Obama fodder if the Washington Times's interest is anything worth noting [see paragraph 5])

I don't think this is going to slam dunk Cuccinelli into the Governorship (it seems he's given up in Northern Virginia as I haven't seen a single televised ad yet) but if McAuliffe does lose I'm hoping that we can scratch off another Clinton devote. The DNC is such garbage that they put this guy up in the first place "ability to generate funds" be damned.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 3, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't live in VA, so I can only speak from an outsider perspective, but it seems like this wouldn't be anywhere near enough to counter Cuccinelli's(not to mention E.W. Jackson) insanity. I think being a very off election year is a bigger threat.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The Times has, a bit surprisingly given their ongoing feud, endorsed Booker.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

I don't live in VA, so I can only speak from an outsider perspective, but it seems like this wouldn't be anywhere near enough to counter Cuccinelli's(not to mention E.W. Jackson) insanity. I think being a very off election year is a bigger threat.

On top of being insanely socially conservative, Cuccinelli is probably also currupt as gently caress.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/07/16/19502205-cuccinelli-struggles-to-steer-clear-of-virginia-scandal?lite

This will really end up being about if left leaning people can stomach voting for the generic sleazy politician since the other one is comically evil to offset all the Tea Partiers. So pretty much the last Presidential election and Obama won that one in Virginia.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 3, 2013

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So Charlie Rangel may be retiring soon, and it sounds like he wants David Paterson to be his successor.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gygaxian posted:

So Charlie Rangel may be retiring soon, and it sounds like he wants David Paterson to be his successor.

Not surprising, Paterson's father is one of Rangel's closest personal and political allies and has been for fifty or sixty years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"If doctors told McConnell that he had a kidney stone, he'd refused to pass it," said Alison Grimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9ZrGcJeTY

Joementum fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 4, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Joementum posted:

"If doctors told McConnell that he had a kidney stone, he'd refused to pass it," said Alison Grimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9ZrGcJeTY

loving hell, are the GOP regularly trying to chant speech givers into silence or is this just a particularly unpleasant crowd?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ReV VAdAUL posted:

loving hell, are the GOP regularly trying to chant speech givers into silence or is this just a particularly unpleasant crowd?

Nah, the whole event is a rather bizarre dog and pony show.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Fancy Farm is something you have to see to believe. I was there for Scotty Baesler's crazy-rear end speech back in '98, that was great. :allears: I wish I could find a video of the campaign ad they made out of that...

Another great Fancy Farm moment was the cardboard Bill Clinton.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan tea party member Lt. Governor Brian Calley is no longer conservative enough for ... the tea party.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130805/NEWS04/308050030/Tea-party-seeks-replace-Lt-Gov-Calley-2014-GOP-ticket?nclick_check=1

lsj posted:

Some tea party members in Livingston County and across the state are seeking to oust Lt. Gov. Brian Calley on the Republican ticket in 2014, arguing he’s not conservative enough to be the party’s No. 2 candidate.
Howell resident Wes Nakagiri said he wants to be Gov. Rick Snyder’s running mate next year if the Republican seeks re-election to a second term.

Nakagiri is the treasurer for the Hartland Township-based group RetakeOurGov, which is leading the effort to replace Calley with a more conservative Republican at the state GOP’s 2014 convention. The plan is supported by a half-dozen other tea party representatives in Michigan who plan to seek nominees to replace Calley.

“If nobody else would do it, I wouldn’t rule it out,” said Nakagiri, who said he otherwise would not be interested “one iota” in the office. [...]

Nakagiri said a more conservative lieutenant governor candidate would bring Republicans to the polls who otherwise would stay home on Election Day rather than support the expected Snyder-Calley ticket.

What's the tea party in Michigan mad about? Common Core being implemented, Medicaid expansion that the state senate is doing everything possible to kill, and improving Michigan's roads. Brian Calley isn't conservative enough, so it's time to kick that libtard out of Lansing a quickly as possible. No word yet on finding someone to primary that bleeding heart liberal, Rick Snyder.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Montana Democrats reach the bottom of the barrel, notice that there is space under the barrel, start scraping. State Education Superintendent Denise Juneau won't run for Senate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a stream for tonight's NJ Democratic Senate Primary Debate where three other candidates will compete to see who comes in 2nd to Cory Booker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FaTAtVPiIE

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Here's a stream for tonight's NJ Democratic Senate Primary Debate where three other candidates will compete to see who comes in 2nd to Cory Booker.

You jest, but Holt's opening statement was literally "I am not Cory Booker who has done the following awesome things, also no one follows me on twitter."

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Joementum posted:

The NSA thing is literally the first question past the opening statements. I think the story is starting to get some serious traction.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You jest, but Holt's opening statement was literally "I am not Cory Booker who has done the following awesome things, also no one follows me on twitter."

I couldn't help but groan.

Doesn't he remember when McCain tried that against Obama?

:negative:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TVarmy posted:

I couldn't help but groan.

Doesn't he remember when McCain tried that against Obama?

:negative:

Holt doesn't seem like he is trying at all. I thought maybe he was interested in putting in some effort when he released that attack ad, but then he just kinda quietly took it off the air and went back to not even appearing as though he were trying.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thing's I've learned tonight: the Speaker of the Assembly thinks Russia is giving enemies of the US nuclear weapons and Congressman Holt thinks we should try to work with the Soviet Union.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Joementum posted:

Thing's I've learned tonight: the Speaker of the Assembly thinks Russia is giving enemies of the US nuclear weapons and Congressman Holt thinks we should try to work with the Soviet Union.

She's also really, really into world dominance apparently. :stare:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Cory Booker attacks Holt for initially voting for the Patiot Act in 2001, but is the loudest defender of it presently.

C'mon Rush... you can do better. :(

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Holt doesn't seem like he is trying at all. I thought maybe he was interested in putting in some effort when he released that attack ad, but then he just kinda quietly took it off the air and went back to not even appearing as though he were trying.

Holt has been running a positive, borderline pro-Booker campaign the entire time; the consensus is that he's actually angling for the governor's chair in 2017 or Menendez's seat in 2018 (or sooner if something actually sticks to Teflon Bob).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Other things I learned in last night's debate: every single one of America's problems has already been solved... in Newark.

Meanwhile, in Georgia, Michelle Nunn beats all of the potential Republican challengers in head-to-head polling except Phil "hey, maybe Todd Akin was right" Gingrey, who she ties. Obviously this will tighten up as the campaign actually get underway next year and especially after the primary, but she has a +1 favorable and her father has a +44 favorable while all of the Republicans are underwater.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Other things I learned in last night's debate: every single one of America's problems has already been solved... in Newark.

Meanwhile, in Georgia, Michelle Nunn beats all of the potential Republican challengers in head-to-head polling except Phil "hey, maybe Todd Akin was right" Gingrey, who she ties. Obviously this will tighten up as the campaign actually get underway next year and especially after the primary, but she has a +1 favorable and her father has a +44 favorable while all of the Republicans are underwater.
Didn't Colbert Busch get some pretty decent polling until, well?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ufarn posted:

Didn't Colbert Busch get some pretty decent polling until, well?

Special elections are typically harder to poll.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Special elections are typically harder to poll.

More importantly: It's pretty early to really get a good idea of the election through polling.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Joementum posted:

+1 favorability doesn't seem that impressive to me (granted most people don't have an opinion either way), to win in Georgia a Democrat should be quite popular statewide.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Holt has been running a positive, borderline pro-Booker campaign the entire time; the consensus is that he's actually angling for the governor's chair in 2017 or Menendez's seat in 2018 (or sooner if something actually sticks to Teflon Bob).

There's no way NJ Democrats would ever allow a progressive and/or someone they had deep ties with into office, especially if they weren't popular like Booker. Pallone I could see maybe.

Yeah, Sheila Oliver sure is a pathetic embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anthony Weiner called Republican challenger George McDonald "Grandpa" today. At an AARP event. Gif in link:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/anthony-weiner-grandpa-george-mcdonald-gif.html

• Locked thread