Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

Tuono had a flat, small puncture but enough to drain about 10 PSI a day. Apparently motorcycle shops do not patch tires due to liability. Awesome.

Went to harbor freight, got 40 dollars worth of tools and did it myself. gently caress getting rid of a brand new PR3.

See above for the exact same thing happening to me. Automotive tyre shop did it no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Succeeded in making my ZX6R's tire almost completely bald.

Pretty proud of it. A year ago it was fairly new; this is the result of a year of overly-enthusiastic city riding.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Sold it :(

My future motorcycle is a stack of paper in an envelope. Stay tuned.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

See above for the exact same thing happening to me. Automotive tyre shop did it no problems.

You don't live in America, I assume?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

You don't live in America, I assume?

No thank christ, New Zealand. I get paid a respectable wage to do a good job, which I then spend without fear of lawsuits or corrupt police. We have a really steroidal, government-run public accident insurance corporation. I could literally walk into a k-mart parking lot and start replacing my clutch. Provided noone told me to go away or called the cops, if I had an accident and hurt myself ACC would happily pay me out and k-mart would have nothing to do with it.

The tyre shop saying to me "you know this isn't as 100% safe as a brand new tyre, right?" is enough of a disclaimer, provided a future blow-out can't be proved to be the fault of their workmanship, in which case it would enter the courts under the consumer guarantees act. In that scenario, in addition to my ACC payout for my flayed skin I would probably get some sort of compensation extracted from the shop.

There is a constant undercurrent of whingeing about how ACC costs 'the tax payer' x amount of money, but this is mainly by people who have no concept of what it's like to live in a country without such a system, where health insurance is completely privatised and you can get a lawsuit hurled at you over nothing.

It staggers me that a vast proportion of americans actually resist the idea of a similar system over there because mah freedums or whatever.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Stuff I've done/purchased over the last few weeks:

1: New motorcycle jack
2: New Pilot Power 2s
3: New rear brake pads
4: Rear fender delete kit installed
5: RIMTAAAAPE
:supaburn:

I had to do some plug cannibalism/splicing for the "universal KTM" fender delete kit, as the new smaller rear LED lights did not have the proper plug ends. After looking around trying to figure out where the hell to buy them, I just cut them off of the old blinkers. Came out nice and tidy and I am very glad to get rid of the atrocious rear-beak. The rimtape is what happens when you drink and order motorcycle stuff an experiment that is growing on me. It's much more fluorescent orange than in the photo. Guys laugh at me; girls love it.

(also pictured: my coworker's hilarious/awesome bagged Tahoe)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rimtape is awesome I don't care what you say. :colbert:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

A little bit late, but my bike went on the truck on the 29th.

Strapped to the wall, right next to the bed. It's gonna smell wonderful.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I made a thing.

$.67 worth of tubing from O'Reilly Auto Parts and a Poweraid bottle with a ~1/2" hole drilled in the top makes a perfect used brake fluid catch reservoir. I added a 1/16" hole for gas to escape. Gonna bleed my brakes in a little bit!

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Finished painting the new tank and metal seat. Polished up the covers, etc.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
That's lovely.. But no front fender?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Backov posted:

That's lovely.. But no front fender?

Never had one. Some PO removed it by cutting it off the fork lowers, so not putting one on there.

That said, I don't miss it, especially after adding the fork brace.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Tamir Lenk posted:

Never had one. Some PO removed it by cutting it off the fork lowers, so not putting one on there.

That said, I don't miss it, especially after adding the fork brace.

So I guess you only have dry streets where you live? I'd hate to have a nice bike without a front fender.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

I saw a Pit Bull today that had it's toe nails painted bright pink.

This it the motorcycle equivalent.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went to a swap meet at a socal harley dealership which was an excellent place to just people watch. It's like a bearded leather-wrapped circus.

Speaking of leather, I did spend some money:

They made a big deal out of the fact that next week the guy who beats off too much on Sons of Anarchy would be there. Real A-list celebrity there, fellas.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Stugazi posted:

I saw a Pit Bull today that had it's toe nails painted bright pink.

This it the motorcycle equivalent.

Hahah thanks, I dig that :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Replaced the rear tire. Commuting is such a waste of tires when you're on flat, gently curving roads 95% of the time.
While the wheel was off, I cleaned all the grim off the sprocket and wheel. So much orange pumice. So much grease. Greased up the axle, too. I should be able to actually get it out without brute force next time.
Make sure to pump the brakes until you get pressure back, too! :haw:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Fixed the rear brake on the SV.

New SS brake line, new pads, replaced the damaged bracket and a put on a used caliper just in case my other one was damaged by the grinding (see my post in the questions thread for info and pics).

Everything is back in order but I feel like I'm not getting all of the air bubbles out of the lines. I use a mityvac and it's back to decent feel but I still can't lock the rear wheel on command like I know I should.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Tamir Lenk posted:

Finished painting the new tank and metal seat. Polished up the covers, etc.

Christ, that seat.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This weekend anyway, did a trip up to Montreal and back. Got a bit rained on the way out, which I most likely would have avoided had I left at 8:00 am as planned instead of 9:20.

Got a bit hot on the way back, and I discovered a good position with feet up on the engine bar to get some air on the legs. My new Alpinestars magic riding undies did the trick and helping keep cool, but after a certain point I had to take off my jeans and unzip my jacket because I was just overheating in the stop & go traffic and late afternoon sun. Eh, learn something new.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Replaced the chain and sprockets on the ZX6R with a bit of cursing and screaming along the way, I believe they were the original set, 18k miles seems pretty decent.

Also Kawasaki must've employed a gorilla on steroids to torque down the front sprocket nut, holy hell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

infraboy posted:

Also Kawasaki must've employed a gorilla on steroids to torque down the front sprocket nut, holy hell.

This is apparently pretty normal. The first time I discovered this I needed the bike for work the next day and had already snipped the old chain. The only person who could help me was my mother.

Trying to teach a fifty five year-old woman how to simultaneously stand on the brakes and hold the bike upright while I whaled on the nut with a breaker bar+jack handle was interesting.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Considering the number of people bitching about the front sprocket being welded on, I think you got out lucky.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Over the weekend, I filled the freshly painted tank with no drips. :toot:

Then noticed some oil seepage at the base gasket. :smith:

Just needed to retorque the head nuts, but that meant pulling the valve cover, which meant pulling the carb rack, and both mean removing the tank. That I just painted. :ohdear: And was full of fuel. :emo:

Managed to drain most of the fuel into my gas can, pull the tank without fuel getting everywhere, strip the thing down to get at those head nuts, and polish up the valve cover etc. while I was at it. :parrot:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Getting new tires for bikes today, I think the 250 is first.

New shoes, aw yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MgnXn3qKw

edit:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 10, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
There was a suspension/fit clinic at a local dealer. For $40 two guys would adjust your suspension and tighten throttle cables, adjust pegs etc.

I have the Street Triple (no R) so my front suspension is not adjustable. They did raise my back suspension a bit and I can feel it. The bike is a bit tighter. I am not 100% sure how I feel about it but I may just be too new to know better. They didn't want to take my money since they only messed with the back spring but I made them take a tip anyway.

The other guys who had full adjustments were raving about it. It's the first time I regretted not getting the ST3 R.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Over the last few days I

*Got the right fork seal replaced
*Repainted the mirrors
*Repainted the whole tank
*Made a license plate bracket out of angle aluminum. Turned out perfect.
*Sanded and painted the left engine cover as it had rash from a previous drop
*Failed to strip paint off old windscreen, ruined it in process, ordered a chinese one

This is the bike now! I'm stoked with how it looks:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Lubed the throttle and clutch cables and fed the engine some delicous looking Motul synthetic 10w40.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My Uly bro thinks his crank is bad so we started to check off the simple things that make clattery mechanical noise - yesterday we set the primary chain tension. With the tension OK, it still makes noise but not as much. I wonder if the primary drive sprocket is loose or something else in the primary case is clattering around. The sound sort of cycles every other rev, too - I don't know if the crank could be doing that.

While that was happening, I adjusted my clutch cable and lubed it. I definitely need a new cable; it needs to be adjusted more and more often these days. I'd wager it's the original w/ 56k mi though, so no surprise there.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Rode if for the first time! Whooooooo this motorcycle stuff is fun.

I have found that my enjoyment of riding was inversely proportional to the number of cars in my general area. Less cars more fun! It's very odd to go from not really worring too much about other drivers doing dumb poo poo while driving your car to *waiting* for someone to do dumb poo poo and planning how to avoid it.

Bonus points: No crashing or Dying.

E: Yet :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did the front tyre, stator cover, instrument cluster fascia and handlebar realignment on the 2010 street triple some lunatic traded in for a decrepit audi TT at work.

I never new sliding 2-piston calipers could stop so bloody hard! Feels like a psychopathic scooter compared to my bike.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I was going to do a throttle sync on the FZ6 but there was no vacuum on cylinder 3. Turns out the sync tube was cut just where it enters the throttle body, underneath the airbox.

Just cut the loose part and stuck the hose back again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Since air is compressible, it's best to have equal length sync hoses, but from a practical perspective you fixed it.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Never thought about that, maybe I'll get a replacement later on. But right now I'm just happy to have any vacuum at all.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

makka-setan posted:

Never thought about that, maybe I'll get a replacement later on. But right now I'm just happy to have any vacuum at all.

Or trim the other hoses to equal length . . .

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After reviving my motorcycle after coming back from my recent trip, I blew every single bulb on the drat thing. How did this happen, you ask? Nearly-dead battery (working just enough to energize the field coil so I could kickstart it, apparently) probably shorting when I revved it up and therefore failing to provide a reference voltage to my R/R, allowing a full 48 volts to course through and destroy everything in its path :black101: That's what I get for using a standard 12V 7AH SLAB instead of a proper vehicle battery and then leaving said battery in the Phoenix sun without a tender for two months.

I knew my regulator design would eventually come to bite me in the rear end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Usually the oem engineers get it right, although they are sometimes hampered by cost cutting on part supply.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well during the rebuild I lost the original battery box, so I fabricated another one that fit the 7AH SLAB (think: fire and security panel batteries) I had on hand, because I generally have a large supply of free ones and the bike is kickstart-only. I even put a switched capacitor in the circuit to cut down on electrical noise and stress to the battery itself (though it has the side-effect of letting voltage slip up to 15.5 volts at full rev instead of 14 or so, but that's tolerable). But the battery was just not designed for the 110-120 degree air temperature plus additional heat from sitting inside of an OD green metal box in the sun; it was meant to sit in a temperature-controlled case in a building on a constant trickle-charge (side note: most places require fire panels to have their backup batteries replaced every six months to one year regardless of usage, and my father is a technician for a security and fire system company, hence unlimited free, barely-used batteries)

The couple of years I had the bike in Idaho were no problem, because it is a cooler temperate climate, and I could park it in the shade. Phoenix, mid-summer, is apparently another matter.

My bad.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Took it to the track. Somehow I had managed to neglect my brakepads for a long time and I got shot down in scruteneering. Luckily they had an on-site mechanic who fixed me up a new set on the spot. Not cheap, but cheaper than wasting a pre-paid track course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
New fork oil, seals, wipers, upgraded to Sonic Springs, new spacers. Also serviced the rear preload adjuster by flushing out all the old nasty fluid, replacing it, and bleeding the air from the line.