Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Best SIARPC this season. Weber seems like the only nice guy left in F1. Hope it goes well for him with Porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Catzilla posted:

Wow, imagine that, a British car programme, celebrating British cars...

How dare they! Who do they think they are? The BBC?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, they should do tributes to all nations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I find it funny that Americans (or at least people I assume are Americans) are complaining about how jingoistic that British segment was.

I mean, have you watched any of your own TV or movies before? You've all become so accustomed to your own brand of chest-thumping patriotism that it just seems normal now.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

If we include heavy mining equipment (and they did so we can too) this alone probably outweighs everything in the segment combined.

42mph carrying 400 tons. Sweet god jesus o christ that would be terrifying.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

MrChips posted:

I find it funny that Americans (or at least people I assume are Americans) are complaining about how jingoistic that British segment was.

I mean, have you watched any of your own TV or movies before? You've all become so accustomed to your own brand of chest-thumping patriotism that it just seems normal now.

You are making the assumption that we also enjoy a lot of our media which isn't entirely correct.

Small aside, jingoism is typically talking about aggressive foreign policy, not necessarily nationalism.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Watching American TV report on world sports especially the Olympics is the most loving annoying thing in the world. If America is loosing a sport, they flip it to one we are 100 percent winning like snowboarding or basketball and cheer look how awesome we are.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Fucknag posted:

If we include heavy mining equipment (and they did so we can too) this alone probably outweighs everything in the segment combined.

Nevermind the truck, I want to know more about the enormous thing behind it loading it in that main photo

edit: this? http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=676515&x=7

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

pazrs posted:

Best SIARPC this season. Weber seems like the only nice guy left in F1. Hope it goes well for him with Porsche.

I agree, he was great. It'll be interesting to see him with Porsche. Sad the series is already over. :saddowns:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm willing to give the British a lot of leeway on their jingoism, because their country has some legit high class credentials in motorsports. In addition to the F1 teams and the Isle of Man, they're like the size of, what, New England, NY and PA right? And how many good race tracks do we have in that area? 4? Don't they have like 10-15?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Top Gear has done episodes involving how British car manufacturing poo poo itself over the years that feel kind of :smithicide: (like the one where they visited the factories that made the old cars they were driving, and they were all vacant industrial wastelands or bought out) so I think they have some leeway to go the other way for a change of pace.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cojawfee posted:

Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, they should do tributes to all nations.

All nations that pay their license fee yes. :colbert:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Top Gear US Returns Sept 3

Didn't see anything posted, but TGUSA will be back in a month.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Top Gear US Returns Sept 3

Didn't see anything posted, but TGUSA will be back in a month.

I'm excited, TGUS has been really entertaining for a while, and those who don't give it a chance are missing out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Yeah but that would look loving epic and they should totally do that.
That was my first thought too "...but that'd look awesome?". Even if they might've played fast and loose with what showed up the end result of seeing all those random cars and machinery together was really cool.

Also the F1 car pausing on the roundabout waiting for the others to go by :laugh:

Fucknag posted:

What a great video. He's right about fun being more important than speed; I've got all-terrains, and in the rain they're garbage, so I can drift the Blazer all I like. And that's with a 3.08 open diff and a 20-year-old V6 with almost 300k that made 160 horsepower new. It's an absolute blast, which I never thought I'd say about a truck.

Kind of makes me want a Typhoon. :v:
I think small trucks in general are pretty cool, but I had a Tacoma for a long time (which could spin worn tires pretty easily, with the V6 at least). Of course I'm not sure there's any true small trucks anymore, seems like everything has moved up to midsize or just discontinued.

Steve French posted:

Nevermind the truck, I want to know more about the enormous thing behind it loading it in that main photo

edit: this? http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=676515&x=7
I love that photo, looks like it'd be useful in an apocalypse. And could possibly be a Decepticon.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

japtor posted:

I love that photo, looks like it'd be useful in an apocalypse. And could possibly be a Decepticon.
Oh crap, Devastator lives!

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

japtor posted:

Looks useful, and yet so easy to tip:
http://www.miningmayhem.com/search/label/excavator

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is this something new on BBCA? I don't recall seeing this "Sydney Festival" before. I'll have to catch the repeat.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Was I the only one to catch the new top gear us? About time we got all three of them in sports cars.

And the Eisenhower tunnel challenge was AWESOME

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 10, 2013

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Somehow it just felt kind of flat. There wasn't any real sense of drama, just the three of them driving cross country in brand new, expensive supercars. None of the 'challenges' were particularly taxing or even all that exciting. Usually I'm of the "gently caress it, it's better than Motorweek" mentality, but they could have at least done it in old/cheap/dubiously reliable supercars, or something improbably small. :effort:

The tunnel challenge was about the only interesting part, and even that didn't manage to convey a very good sense of 'holy gently caress I'm doing 250km/h in a tunnel with lovely, frost-heaved pavement'

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Simkin posted:

Somehow it just felt kind of flat. There wasn't any real sense of drama, just the three of them driving cross country in brand new, expensive supercars. None of the 'challenges' were particularly taxing or even all that exciting. Usually I'm of the "gently caress it, it's better than Motorweek" mentality, but they could have at least done it in old/cheap/dubiously reliable supercars, or something improbably small. :effort:

The tunnel challenge was about the only interesting part, and even that didn't manage to convey a very good sense of 'holy gently caress I'm doing 250km/h in a tunnel with lovely, frost-heaved pavement'

Pretty much this. The stadium race was way too fake. I really don't like Vipers. I did enjoy the Amish bit because I've spent a lot of time around them and I know how much they like cameras and sports cars. Dolph Lundgren seemed too weird to be staged, but they might just be clever. I'm happy they stuck with the no star/straight competition because those are always the best bits of TGUK. I usually skip past the SIARPC segment completely nowadays.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll give it this, it's actually starting to be funny. It's taken them like five seasons, but finally they seem to have attracted some actual dialogue writing talent.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Last night's ep seemed like a nice return to form, even with all the very obviously staged shenanigans. I was kind of hoping that Adam would drop his pickup onto Tanner's shitmobile at the end, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Last night was good because Adam is terrible. I was really impressed that he didn't pick the worst example of some horrendous 1970's Detroit garbage. Also, his convertible mod was a really good idea. The best part was when they launched the roof off of his Tacoma, and then Tanner reversed into it at high speed before escaping.

I was also hoping they dumped the Tacoma onto the van. Or at least the helicopter would have showed up at the end with the water bucket to dump on the van.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

cool kids inc. posted:

Was I the only one to catch the new top gear us? About time we got all three of them in sports cars.

And the Eisenhower tunnel challenge was AWESOME

Just now watching the new season and the end of the first episode was worth any amount of dumb poo poo. The tunnel part was amazing all on its own as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are getting pretty good at the photography on tgus.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm glad they've stopped trying to rig the challenges to give Tanner the fast car at the end, and just give it to him anyway. Overall, pretty happy with this season of TGUS so far.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Episode four was so good. It was great to see Tanner in a Mark IV and Rutledge's donk was hilarious. The Corvette part was fun as well and really well shot.

Overall, I agree that they've found their groove with the show. Looking forward to more.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Real Top Gear has a new DVD coming out.

Has Top Gear US given up on trying to have Adam do anything? He's really awful. Also, haha old people can't figure the difference between gas and brakes in a Toyota.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's suspicious how Tanner keeps winning all the challenges, and gets to drive the fast cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

US top gear had a bunch of terrible shows with terrible hosts and obviously nobody gives a poo poo.

The new real top gear perfect road trip DVD is already out and it is pretty awesome. Tons of great cars in beautiful environments. I'm surprised the Mclaren P1 didn't make an appearance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

It's suspicious how Tanner keeps winning all the challenges, and gets to drive the fast cars.

He doesn't always win all of them. Rutledge and Adam have gotten to do a couple of the reward cars.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Cojawfee posted:

He doesn't always win all of them. Rutledge and Adam have gotten to do a couple of the reward cars.

Yeah, like when Rutledge got to drive the Bugatti Veyron SS. At a whopping 30mph. To Tanner Foust who proceeded to dog it out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So did Adam really break his arm in that truck last week? I thought it was a gimmick then but with him still having the sling I guess it's real?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mustache Ride posted:

May and Hammond are both exceptional drivers that've been doing car reviews on a closed track for a very long time and they still typically have Clarkson flogging whatever new Ferrari shows up that week. Tanner doing them all is a bit more consistent, but it's also only been four seasons and they're just this year getting into a groove that fits the shorter time slot.

And besides, it's to the point where Tanner winning is a running gag and they can play it up that way for comedy value as the show continues. Personally, I like how bad of drivers Adam and Rutledge are, compared to Tanner. They're way more relatable than a rally driver to us non-racers.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 27, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And Tanner lost to the Stig :colbert:

(I'm not referring to the race against himself :downsrim:)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pik_d posted:

So did Adam really break his arm in that truck last week? I thought it was a gimmick then but with him still having the sling I guess it's real?
Considering the way Adam's car fanboat sunk in 5 seconds and there was no inside camera footage (which means it was REALLY unexpected, Tanner's carboat was able to stay afloat enough to rescue the cameras), and the sling for two weeks, Adam's not gonna survive a 5th season.

Unless he has Mickey driving for him from here on out, and I support that with everything I have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pik_d posted:

He said at some point that it was a stage three shoulder separation or something.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stage III JDM Shorudabureiku !!! :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cojawfee posted:

He said at some point that it was a stage three shoulder separation or something.

A stage 3 is no laughing matter. They don't usually even do surgery for that, unless it is problematic. Stage 5, however.. :suicide: