Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Safe and Secure! posted:

6 hours of screen-on time with that screen? Is that just because they can fit a bigger battery in it or is this some new amazing kind of battery so I can expect future phones to also do much better than the 2-3 hours of screen-on time I get with my galaxy nexus?

I was always able to get 5-6 hours of screen time on my Gnex - I mean I don't have the brightness cranked and it depends what you're doing (video streaming and web browsing mostly for me), but 2-3 hours seems pretty low if you're not gaming or something.

Of course I'm having all kinds of issues now so maybe it was a magical snowflake that flew a little too close to the sun

Oh Galaxy Nexus, what won't you say :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Whose your carrier though? The Verizon Galaxy Nexus got a ridiculous amount less of battery life compared to the others which were not stellar but reasonable.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just a UK standard GSM job, so no Verizon shenanigans.

But now 4.3 is out everyone should hopefully be seeing a bit better performance, some of the battery draining services have been wrangled and they rewrote the graphics system to make it more efficient at drawing.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Any one having crashing problems with the 2013 nexus 7? The tablet just reboots by itself every 8 hours or so. I've had it for two days and it's happened 5 times already. sometimes it's while I'm using chrome. sometimes it's while I'm using play books. I even had it crash once while on the launcher with no apps in the foreground.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's not remotely normal and you need to return it. I guess you could try a factory reset but really it's better to return it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Whose your carrier though? The Verizon Galaxy Nexus got a ridiculous amount less of battery life compared to the others which were not stellar but reasonable.
Isn't this completely backwards? At the time this thread was full of people complaining about the CDMA GNex.

Edit: Yeah, nevermind, I read your sentence like five times and mentally removed the word "less" every time. Oops.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 5, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Verizon is CDMA.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

lostleaf posted:

Any one having crashing problems with the 2013 nexus 7? The tablet just reboots by itself every 8 hours or so. I've had it for two days and it's happened 5 times already. sometimes it's while I'm using chrome. sometimes it's while I'm using play books. I even had it crash once while on the launcher with no apps in the foreground.

Maybe Google managed to import that bug from the n10 where chrome can crash your poo poo. I mean the n7 has multiuser support now right?

Isen
Jun 2, 2013

lostleaf posted:

Yeah, I picked up a 32Gb model at Walmart the other day figuring I could use it for work. This is the first tablet I've ever purchased but I'm pretty disappointed. Within about 12 hours it's reset itself a couple times. I charged it from my laptop the first night after I got it, when I woke up I found that the tablet had somehow restored itself to factory defaults and wiped out all my apps/uploads. I plan on returning it, I don't know if getting a replacement is worth it though.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is this still happening? Anyone else experiencing these crashes? I'd really like to replace my iPad with the new Nexus 7, but I hated the crashes of the Nexus 10 (which I really liked otherwise) so much that I had to return it.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I'm on vacation with my entire tech-obsessed extended family. Six of us have a new Nexus 7, I think 4 32gb and 2 16gb. Nobody has had any crashing or rebooting issues so take that as you will.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It is a first run of a new generation device, so some problems are to be expected.

Asus isn't known for their tablet reliability, though. At least, not historically.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
No crashes with mine so far.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
No crashes with mine, either.
Anecdotal evidence, but it is what it is.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
No crashes on mine. Had to return the first one because it had a loose corner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine has been fine as well.

The only N10 crashes I had were always related to Chrome.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Nary a crash.

KoB
May 1, 2009
No crashes on mine, but I've been having touchscreen issues so Im taking it in for a replacement today. :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No crashes on mine, uptime of 67 hours (and it would've been longer but I made a nandroid backup recently).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Is it bad that I want to grab the Samjiyon tablet to see what can be done with it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WugLyfe posted:

Is it bad that I want to grab the Samjiyon tablet to see what can be done with it?

Its just an android tablet. What is the point.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Its just an android tablet. What is the point.

It has a TV tuner in it with VHF and UHF reception. It'd be fun to dick around with, at least.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WugLyfe posted:

It has a TV tuner in it with VHF and UHF reception. It'd be fun to dick around with, at least.

Unless it supports ATSC then you will get static in the states.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I'm up to 115 hours of uptime on my N7, if you're getting regular crashing it's not normal and you should return it. I've even used Chrome for a not insignificant portion of that (since it's a new device Chrome is the default browser so I doubt it's causing too many problems).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What's Firefox performance like on the Nexus 7?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WugLyfe posted:

I bet it is exactly what you can do with a Nexus 7, only actually less.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up the new nexus 7 the other day to upgrade from my aging first gen iPad. So far really digging it. The screen is so much more sensitive than I am used to.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I had maybe 3-4 spontaneous reboots in the first couple days of using mine. It didn't really strike me as a hardware problem for whatever reason. My uptime is now up to almost 5 days, so it either tapered off or stopped.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I didn't take a screen shot but I used my nexus 7 really heavily yesterday and got just over 7 hours of screen-on time. That was with auto brightness too, I probably could've squeezed an extra hour out of it if I set it a bit lower.

I have a 14 hour flight coming up in a few days so it's good to know I won't really have any issues with the battery during the trip.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I can't link from the SD app, but there is a deal on the Slick Deals front page with a 20 percent off from Office Max, which brings the new N7 32gb down to $215 if you can find it in stock.

edit: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100164/officemax-stores-32gb-asus-nexus-7-2nd-gen-7-android-4.3-tablet

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 6, 2013

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't link from the SD app, but there is a deal on the Slick Deals front page with a 20 percent off from Office Max, which brings the new N7 32gb down to $215 if you can find it in stock.

edit: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100164/officemax-stores-32gb-asus-nexus-7-2nd-gen-7-android-4.3-tablet

Deal of the goddamn century right there. I thought this thing was a steal at $280. Going on 7 days of up time on mine, only restart was for the update. I use Firefox though. No build quality issues either.
I get the feeling the crashing issue is being heavily amplified by the vocal minority effect.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

This might not work for everybody, but I was able to get my local Best Buy to price match the coupon and picked up a Nexus 7 32 GB. (my local Office Max was out of stock)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Radio Shack will be carrying the new Nexus 7 soon.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I know there was talk of Qi chargers a page or two back but all the half price deals are dead now. Is there a good inexpensive charger I should buy to use with my new n7?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
If the Samsung deal pops back up again, go for that. Mine just arrived last night, and it's fast and easy. Tried it with my N7 and a N4.

The other go-to recommendation is to get the LG qi puck from a Verizon store for $40.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

This might not work for everybody, but I was able to get my local Best Buy to price match the coupon and picked up a Nexus 7 32 GB. (my local Office Max was out of stock)

How much sweet talking did it take? I've got the itch and all the Officemax locations around here are out too.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
For those of you with crashing 2013 nexus 7, make sure to remove root. I removed it and apps that use root and the tablet has been stable for the last 24 hours.

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches
Reading all this battery life talk on the last couple pages has got me ready for some charge time talk.

Can anyone post their experiences (or review articles they've found) regarding charge speeds? How many percent per hour do you recover with the included wired charger by usb, by outlet? Is there there a big performance gap between it and the best third party wired charger? Is there an efficiency hit with wireless chargers?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I didn't take a screen shot but I used my nexus 7 really heavily yesterday and got just over 7 hours of screen-on time. That was with auto brightness too, I probably could've squeezed an extra hour out of it if I set it a bit lower.

I have a 14 hour flight coming up in a few days so it's good to know I won't really have any issues with the battery during the trip.

For those kinds of flights (I used to fly to/from Korea 4 times a year), it's worth it to buy the rechargeable external batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

torgeaux posted:

For those kinds of flights (I used to fly to/from Korea 4 times a year), it's worth it to buy the rechargeable external batteries.

Heh, it actually is Korea I'm flying to. Do you have a specific one you can recommend? I'm not too worried about it since I'll be doing music through my phone and I plan on sleeping for at least a few hours of the flight, but it'll be nice to have just in case.