Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I grilled meats and veg outside on a real grill for the first time in a about 2 years.

Feels good man :smug:

See also: my roof in Bed-Stuy. Porkchops and corn last night with a bottle of lambrusco in my fist because everyone cancelled on me.

e: just remembered I burned myself on the grill lid! Whoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I have a 20 oz angus sirloin waiting, but I'm out of potatoes. What should I serve it with? I've got shallots, red onions, chickpeas, rice, kidney beans and barley.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Vegetable Melange posted:

e: just remembered I burned myself on the grill lid! Whoo!

It wouldn't be proper grilling without this happening.

I have to say though, grilling onions straight up makes them stupidly delicious.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Psychobabble posted:

I'm going to go with food processor. Using a mixer is going to incorporate more air which will make it rise higher and crack more.

I use my mixer to make cheesecake and this isn't ever a problem if you cook it right.

I don't have a food processor big enough to handle an entire cheesecake worth of stuff though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BlueGrot posted:

I have a 20 oz angus sirloin waiting, but I'm out of potatoes. What should I serve it with? I've got shallots, red onions, chickpeas, rice, kidney beans and barley.

Barley or rice with the caramelised onions stirred through. Probably rice. Whenever I mix cooked veg like that (eg roasted with Harissa) with a grain (quinoa, barley, bulgur etc) I like to soak up the oil from the pan with some of the cooked grain so it picks up all that flavour as well as the lovely unctuousness.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you cook your cheesecake low and slow and cool it slowly, cracking shouldn't happen. I use one of those paddles that scrapes the sides in my mixer, and it's awesome because it brings the ingredients together much more quickly, limiting how much air gets whipped in.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Doh004 posted:

It wouldn't be proper grilling without this happening.

I have to say though, grilling onions straight up makes them stupidly delicious.

Grill every vegetable. Grilled brussesls sprouts, grilled fennel, grilled romaine, whatever, just grill vegetables all the time.

Also grill fruits for dessert and serve with greek yogurt sweetened with honey and with a little lemon zest; change it up depending on the fruit.

Grilling is the best thing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Grill every vegetable. Grilled brussesls sprouts, grilled fennel, grilled romaine, whatever, just grill vegetables all the time.

Also grill fruits for dessert and serve with greek yogurt sweetened with honey and with a little lemon zest; change it up depending on the fruit.

Grilling is the best thing.

I need to do all of these things next.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

therattle posted:

Barley or rice with the caramelised onions stirred through. Probably rice. Whenever I mix cooked veg like that (eg roasted with Harissa) with a grain (quinoa, barley, bulgur etc) I like to soak up the oil from the pan with some of the cooked grain so it picks up all that flavour as well as the lovely unctuousness.
Thank you for this advice. I haven't tasted it yet, but the smell is divine.

Edit: It's excellent, I caramelized the onions in a nutty browned butter, it's so good.

Edit: Meal consumed. I added some carrots sautéed in butter to the rice. It was A+++ would eat again.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 3, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BlueGrot posted:

Thank you for this advice. I haven't tasted it yet, but the smell is divine.

Edit: It's excellent, I caramelized the onions in a nutty browned butter, it's so good.

Edit: Meal consumed. I added some carrots sautéed in butter to the rice. It was A+++ would eat again.

Glad to be of assistance, ma'am. :tipshat:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Really, rice is almost always the answer.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wrong. Meat is always the answer.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It's perhaps the first time I've had nutty browned butter blend perfectly into a dish.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

BlueGrot posted:

It's perhaps the first time I've had nutty browned butter blend perfectly into a dish.

Do you ever eat fish? Because browned butter on bass is the best thing.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I eat alot of fish, but :norway: Norway :norway: exports all of its good fish, and sells the bad stuff locally, so getting anything but cod and salmon is a bit pricy. I love fish though, will try to get bass.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Salmon is best with a gastrique of some sort(I like blackberry), or a sweet chutney(I like mango)

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Or with greek yogurt thinned out with lemon juice and mixed with a ton of chopped fresh dill.

I think my last few posts are starting to betray the fact that I use greek yogurt to make a poo poo ton of sauces for various thing.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Wrong. Meat is always the answer.

I think my friend and I ate a pound of butter between us, but I don't care.

Edit: I HAVE COLD STEAK!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I use greek yogurt a lot too.
I keep it on hand to add to oats or smoothies at breakfast.
Sometimes for meals I use it as a dressing, adding lemon or lime, spices like cumin, and herbs.
Good for curries, dals, soups, stews, flat bread wraps etc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh my god the food in singapore

:cry:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Good? Bad?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
astoundingly amazing, I can't even put it into words how good (and varied) the hawker food is. I've had 8 different dishes I'd never heard of before, they've all been amazing, and I've only been here a day.

the price of alcohol though :mad:

hi would you like to buy a 750ml bottle of woodbridge chardonnay for $35? in a supermarket? :) :) :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I know for a fact that the food in Singapore is amazing so I can only assume the smiley expresses lament at the lack of US availability of chicken rice and curry noodles.

Drat beaten.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a great Singaporean place down the road from my office that has chicken rice.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know for a fact that the food in Singapore is amazing so I can only assume the smiley expresses lament at the lack of US availability of chicken rice and curry noodles.

Drat beaten.

it's not even the lack of this stuff I've never had before - I had for instance a tom yum soup. I thought I knew what good tom yum tasted like, but this was some next level poo poo.

it's good though, I'll just figure out how they make it, and at least be able to recreate some of these dishes myself.....

yeah...

that's the ticket...

oh gosh here I go agaaaai :cry: :cry: :cry:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
There's a banner ad that's telling me that the "Never Ending Pasta Bowl XVIII" starts in 4 hours and 43 minutes at The Olive Garden.

:goon: Who's coming with me? :goon:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

There's a banner ad that's telling me that the "Never Ending Pasta Bowl XVIII" starts in 4 hours and 43 minutes at The Olive Garden.

:goon: Who's coming with me? :goon:

Don't do it! Think of your child! Think of main wife! (And secondary wife).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That sounds pretty bad.

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

"Teacher,which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" She replied, "Clean your stove with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." :chef:
I went to Olive Garden a week ago with some older friends. The breadsticks were heavenly, the food was meh in the fullest, and the service was sooooooo loving sloooooow.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have never been to any restaurant owned by Darden Restaurants, Inc.*, but my sister and father think LongHorn has the best steaks. :negative:

* I looked it up. Red Lobster, Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, and a bunch of poo poo I've never seen before.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Roasted some of my garden's grape tomatoes with some oregano from the herb garden, crushed garlic, S&P, and olive oil.

Warmed it back up on the side burner of the grill and served over thin sliced medium rare strip steaks.

Was good!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aww yeah, about to toss the first steaks from the latest slaughter on the grill. :whatup:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Made delicious kosheri using the Ottolenghi recipe. Man, that poo poo's good.

dino., check it out; it can easily be veganised.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have never been to any restaurant owned by Darden Restaurants, Inc.*, but my sister and father think LongHorn has the best steaks. :negative:

* I looked it up. Red Lobster, Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, and a bunch of poo poo I've never seen before.

I'll go to bat for Seasons 52. The food is solid and they have that place set up so that every employee either knows or can easily look up absolutely anything about any dish they prepare. They also have a well-thought-out wine list with lots of stuff by the glass.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Go with Christ posted:

I went to Olive Garden a week ago with some older friends. The breadsticks were heavenly, the food was meh in the fullest, and the service was sooooooo loving sloooooow.

The last time I went to Olive Garden, the rude-rear end friends I was with somehow refused. REFUSED. To make eye contact with the server, and when they brought out the breadsticks they all screeched "WE NEED ALFREDO SAUCE TO DIP THESE" :byodame: I was so mortified for the dude I tipped like 200% of my meal and haven't spoken to those people again (Though to be fair, this was really the straw that broke the camel's back. These are some of the worst women I've known in my life.) I find this story super telling of the class of people who eat at these lovely chain restaurants... All the women I was there with were either certainly making less money than a restaurant server, or they were on assistance with multiple kids, yet they still treated this poor guy trying to make it just like them completely subhumanly.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 6, 2013

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love/hate those kinds of stories. Goddamn chains bring out the worst in people.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I just want to point out that basil-infused vodka is the best thing. I don't even like vodka. Still, best thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Know folk in South NJ who hated all the food on their trip to Italy, because "It's not authentic like the Olive Garden." For the sake of the USA, I hope they never travel again.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rj54x posted:

I just want to point out that basil-infused vodka is the best thing. I don't even like vodka. Still, best thing.
I dunno, I sort of inadvertently made like 1.25 liters of it once and I was sort of sick of it by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

Know folk in South NJ who hated all the food on their trip to Italy, because "It's not authentic like the Olive Garden." For the sake of the USA, I hope they never travel again.

There are five Golden Corrals in NJ. There's a reason they are all in South NJ.