Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hell yes. That's a good lens. Well, the Zeiss Jena anyway. The Soligor is most likely a hunk of junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Most definitely! Get a roll of cheap film first to make sure it works, get it developed and if it's OK, go wild.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geektox posted:

Was cleaning out my basement today and found an old Praktica LTL camera, which I believe I took in trade for some Magic cards back in high school. The thing has a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens and a Soligor Zoom+Macro 80-200mm lens. As a complete beginner to photograpy (I already have a digital camera I recently inherited) Is it worth buying film to use with this thing?

No. It's totally worthless, but since you're new here, I'll take it off your hands for free. I'll pay the shipping, too, if you need me to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So this arrived today, seems to be working alright. There was a shot roll of film in it, might get it developed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Geektox posted:

Was cleaning out my basement today and found an old Praktica LTL camera, which I believe I took in trade for some Magic cards back in high school. The thing has a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens and a Soligor Zoom+Macro 80-200mm lens. As a complete beginner to photograpy (I already have a digital camera I recently inherited) Is it worth buying film to use with this thing?

Didn't you also inherit an M9 recently? Friggin' camera gold mine.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Spedman posted:

Didn't you also inherit an M9 recently? Friggin' camera gold mine.

And to think just last week my most sophisticated shooting set-up was a P&S and a GorillaPod!

atomicthumbs posted:

No. It's totally worthless, but since you're new here, I'll take it off your hands for free. I'll pay the shipping, too, if you need me to.

My, such kindly goons in this subforum...

HPL posted:

Hell yes. That's a good lens. Well, the Zeiss Jena anyway. The Soligor is most likely a hunk of junk.

Seems like the Soligor is also very hazy, is there a way to fix that?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Geektox posted:

And to think just last week my most sophisticated shooting set-up was a P&S and a GorillaPod!

My, such kindly goons in this subforum...

Seems like the Soligor is also very hazy, is there a way to fix that?

If it's hazy it could be fungus or mold. Fixable, but they tend to grow inside the lens so it would require some assembly. Probably not worth the effort when you could just buy a clean copy for 20 bucks.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Geektox posted:

Do a function check first, run the shutter a few times and all that, see if the different speeds actually work. I have a collection of old cameras and it's always dun to take pictures with them. So yes, buy a cheap film and go to town!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The massive dev chart is pretty awesome. I really wasn't expecting to find times for cross processing Kodak BW400CN in D76, but lo and behold there it was.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Powers posted:

Kodak BW400CN in D76

why :stonk:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The roll is over 2 years old since that's when I last shot on C41 B&W film. It was in my FM when I took my girlfriend shooting today. The Ritz that did C41 for me isn't around anymore, so I figured I'd give cross processing a try. There are only about 10 shots from today and most of them are probably out of focus.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Do you not live near a drugstore or supermarket or something?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

HPL posted:

Do you not live near a drugstore or supermarket or something?

I haven't seen any around here that still do photo processing without sending it out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I took an instax hiking today.

img001.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img004.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I don't feel like the scans do justice to the negs though.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Mr. Despair posted:

I took an instax hiking today.

img001.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img004.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I don't feel like the scans do justice to the negs though.

Pos's? I wonder how much the Instax chemistry has in common with E-6 since it's positive rather than negative.

I went ahead and "scanned" mine with my D90 and macro lens. The real trick is eliminating the reflections.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If it's the same as FP-100c the negatives do hold quite a bit of detail. My test negative scan was sharp at 2571 DPI (~20 lp/mm), on my SS 45 Ultra.

It's really a shame FP-100c45 is dead, it used to be by far the cheapest way to shoot a 4x5 color negative, plus you get a proof print immediately, assuming you can process them reliably.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 3, 2013

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Can someone please tell me what they think the scan quality is like on these? These are my first few MF negs that I got done at a commercial place in the city.

Fujicolour 400H

Don by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Don by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Shanghai GP3 100

Mums garden by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I think that looks pretty great. They're not blown out at all and the color balance isn't terribly inconsistent between those two examples, which puts them above my experiences with minilab scans.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cool. I just wanted to make sure the insane prices to get the film developed and scanned was at least semi justifiable. Perhaps I should just get my own scanner. I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I emailed a guy I follow on Flickr about his workflow and he said he scans his negs as Raw files with multiple exposures (3 times, one for low lights, normal and highlights) on a Epson V700 through VueScan. Is this over the top? Wonder if the lab will do that for me. His work is amazing though...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you have a digital camera build a film holder mated to a cheap macro lens instead. It'll speed up scanning by a couple orders of magnitude.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
But that would be giving up one of the benefits of shooting MF.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just got a notification from Ebay that I won an auction. I was all "what the gently caress?" :confused: until I realized I put out a lowball bid a week ago on a ME Super belt clip. Got it for :10bux: :10bux:

:whatup: :snoop:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just picked up a Kodak Precision Enlarger Model 1 for $10 from a friend's dad. It's complete and set up for medium format with optics. I just need a new bulb. He ended up giving me long expired, but frozen, Kodak Gold and Kodak Max rolls, so maybe it's time I pick up a C41 kit.

He also gave me two shot rolls of TMax to process for him. These rolls were exposed 30 years ago, but frozen. He wasn't sure if he pushed them or not. Is it possible to stand develop with D76? If not, am I going to have the best luck with a dilution and longer times?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Is it possible to stand develop with D76?

No.

Rodinal, HC-110, Ilfotec HC. Those work for stand, as far as I know nothing else does. (These developers don't produce bromide during development, or at least there is no issue of bromide drag with them. Most developers, D76 being one of those, get bromide drag issues if not regularly agitated.)

If you develop them for 1 stop over box speed the results should be usable even if they were shot at speed, or up to possibly +2 stops.
You might be able to get away with slightly longer than usual development time if you agitate less often, and less strongly, and get lower contrast that way, but I doubt you'd really gain anything from it.
I believe more dilute typically raises contrast, but don't take my word for that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you're really not sure, there's always Diafine, but that will push your contrast even lower.

If they were my photos I'd do Rodinal 1:100 for 1:30. +1 stop with a dilute developer should do just fine. D76 is a pretty active developer and you need to have a pretty good idea of the developing time.

If you were going full tryhard on this, you could develop by inspection. A 15w green safelight bulb at a certain distance for a few seconds won't fog the film unduly after about half the development.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'll post results from the cross processing and mystery push roll once I run them. I don't have a scanner though.

On the enlarger, it is a Kodak Precision Enlarger Model 1. I'm having trouble figuring out what bulb is needed. It looks like a standard household socket, but I haven't tried a bulb in it yet. If it is standard household socket, what sort of bulb do I need to put in it in terms of color temperature? From what I read, I should replace the cord for it (I should probably do this to my Omega as well), so I'll have to find a cord to sacrifice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All the enlargers I have seen use standard E27 socket bulbs.
You should probably buy the bulb from a photography store, at least there are ones marketed specifically for enlarger use. (They are high-powered incandescent ones, possibly made for extra precision, more even light or so. The general ban on high-powered incandescent bulbs doesn't affect these in the EU since they are special-purpose bulbs.)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Anybody has tips for how to get wet film on the reels? I've been playing around with inverting black and white film and got to a point I can start getting decent slides out of it, but my current method for loading the film after the second exposure (powering it into the reels) will always damage the film somewhat. Are metal reels better than plastic reels for this?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Primo Itch posted:

Anybody has tips for how to get wet film on the reels? I've been playing around with inverting black and white film and got to a point I can start getting decent slides out of it, but my current method for loading the film after the second exposure (powering it into the reels) will always damage the film somewhat. Are metal reels better than plastic reels for this?

Yeah, it's completely impossible to get wet film onto plastic reels. The film has to physically slide the whole distance onto the reel. They don't call it a silver-gelatin emulsion for nothing, it literally gets gummy and it will stick to the reel and tear. It does this even from your sweat/breath in a changing bag or in a small room if you don't hurry.

You could always put it in a washbasin in a darkroom and carefully circulate it through the chemicals (wear gloves), making sure it's not sticking to itself unduly.

I've always wanted to try this as well. Please post some slides and let us know your process! Ilford? Any modifications?

vvv Yeah, metal reels will probably help vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 7, 2013

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I don't have a darkroom, so I really need options that can put the film back in the tank :( Maybe metal reels will help? Else I'll probably have to let the film dry in a dark place before keeping on with the development.

I don't have anything interesting yet, only shots of my balcony since i've been mostly trying to develop the technique, but I'll try to get some scanned tomorrow.

For the process, I'm using the Ilford guide but have modified it a little bit since I can't get any Ilford chemicals around here. So it's 12 minutes of dektol for first development, and D-76 for the second development. I'll still getting my proportions right for what I want and the film I'm using, but Dektol is around 1+1 for 12 minutes and D-76 stock for 6 minutes looks good for really contrasty (my goal) Pan F+. I plan on writing down my technique to share with dorkroom as soon as I get it really tight and have some nice examples to show.

You should really try your hands at it, it's fun and not really that hard even if reading the Ilford guide might seen a little daunting, although getting exactly the results you want seen to require quite some experimentation.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Yeah, get metal HEWES reels. Don't bother with that spring clip bullshit on cheaper reels. You can clip into the sprocket holes 100% of the time, even when wet. Plus, Hewes uses a heavy gauge of steel in the rings so they can be handled much more firmly and they won't unseat the film through torquing.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

McMadCow posted:

Yeah, get metal HEWES reels. Don't bother with that spring clip bullshit on cheaper reels. You can clip into the sprocket holes 100% of the time, even when wet. Plus, Hewes uses a heavy gauge of steel in the rings so they can be handled much more firmly and they won't unseat the film through torquing.

Do what McMadCow says... Hewes reels cost twice what cheap reels cost, but are worth every penny.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

McMadCow posted:

Should've said that I'm shooting 120... Are the HEWES 120 reels also worth the price difference?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Primo Itch posted:

Should've said that I'm shooting 120... Are the HEWES 120 reels also worth the price difference?

I think so. They're a whole lot better than the generic Adorama reels or Taiwanese imports, at least. Kindermann 120 reels are also pretty solid, if you should come across them on eBay.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Developed my first roll at home with Rodinal. I'm really happy with how it came out.

hazy by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

shallow by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Primo Itch posted:

I don't have a darkroom, so I really need options that can put the film back in the tank :( Maybe metal reels will help? Else I'll probably have to let the film dry in a dark place before keeping on with the development.

I don't have anything interesting yet, only shots of my balcony since i've been mostly trying to develop the technique, but I'll try to get some scanned tomorrow.

For the process, I'm using the Ilford guide but have modified it a little bit since I can't get any Ilford chemicals around here. So it's 12 minutes of dektol for first development, and D-76 for the second development. I'll still getting my proportions right for what I want and the film I'm using, but Dektol is around 1+1 for 12 minutes and D-76 stock for 6 minutes looks good for really contrasty (my goal) Pan F+. I plan on writing down my technique to share with dorkroom as soon as I get it really tight and have some nice examples to show.

You should really try your hands at it, it's fun and not really that hard even if reading the Ilford guide might seen a little daunting, although getting exactly the results you want seen to require quite some experimentation.

Any reason why you haven't tried the Foma r100 reversal film or the associated developer kit?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
How purist are you guys about digitally post processing film? I find that most everything i try basically ruins pics. Mind you im useless with dodge/burn. Is there a different approach i should use with film post processing (digitally)?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I scan my film with my d800 and do post on that.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
How do you handle the noise/grain from film?

I had a play with the jpegs from scans i got and welp, no good. Also, i asked the lab what they would charge for large quality (raw/dng @90mb)scans and they said 90$ per roll of 120. Good reason to invest in a scanner/rig with my 5d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

How purist are you guys about digitally post processing film? I find that most everything i try basically ruins pics. Mind you im useless with dodge/burn. Is there a different approach i should use with film post processing (digitally)?

Post-processing JPEG scans is a bad idea. Better to scan or use your 5D to get meaty raws that allow you to do lots of editing. I usually use curve layers with masks in Photoshop, which is more or less like the old dodge/burn in the darkroom. But LR5's brush is incredibly powerful now so I don't use Photoshop as much as I do previously. Also, just leave the grain in the film, that's part of film's charm.