Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite subtle detail was the horrified expression on Nale's face in the corner while Durkon killed Z.

tylertfb posted:

If Rich doesn't make a "Durkon is REALLY afraid of oak trees now" joke soon, he's blowing it.

Seconded. It'll probably be another palm tree like in Sandsedge unless they get the hell out of Dodge soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Aztec posted:

...Because it's Thor. You think a lighting bolt throwing, drink a swimming pool of ale a day, creating a dozen demi-god children a day God is Lawful?

Also, Thor has a D&D stat block, and he's listed as Chaotic Good, which is what I imagine most people are going off of, really.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

TunaSpleen posted:

Seconded. It'll probably be another palm tree like in Sandsedge unless they get the hell out of Dodge soon.

You wanna talk about dropping the ball in dialogue, Durkula said the world is at "stake" and nobody called him on it. He's very new to being a vampire.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Sefer posted:

This rule was already being ignored since Thor, a CG diety, was already 2 steps away from LG Durkon. Either the setting ignores the rule entirely, it's a more flexible rule there, or Thor is an exception to it.

Unless becoming a vampire made him chaotic for some reason, Durkon's alignment is now diametrically opposed to Thor's. He may bend the rules to have Lawful followers, but they won't bend that far.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

TunaSpleen posted:

My favorite subtle detail was the horrified expression on Nale's face in the corner while Durkon killed Z.

Which seems a bit weird because Nale already had a lot of experience with how vampires are and putting himself at the mercy of such a risky diplomacy check seems extremely careless. Then again we don't know what exactly happened when Nale was nine years old, perhaps he thought for some reason that Malack was the only evil vampire and all others can be easily reasoned with?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

peak debt posted:

perhaps he thought for some reason that Malack was the only evil vampire and all others can be easily reasoned with?

Malack could be reasoned with. We know this because we saw Tarquin reason with him. He was counting on Durkon being an "evil vampire," taking delight in turning on his former companions, and losing interest in saving the world. His mistake was in assuming that all vampires are as evil as Malack, not the other way around.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009
I am hoping to see Z's corpse thrown into the rift.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Angela Christine posted:

Even if the party is cool with it, having Durkon around could hurt them socially. Belkar was evil, but most people won't expect a halfling to be evil. Everyone expects a Vampire (and his companions) to be evil. It is going to be basically impossible to work with the paladins with Durkon around. Or nearly anyone else who can easily detect that Durkon is undead.

Nah, he'll just have to carry a lead sheet around with him and he'll be fine.

Maybe he can hold it above his head to shelter from the sun too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

Maybe he can hold it above his head to shelter from the sun too.

I can see a future point where he has to hang out with MitD under the umbrella for a while.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Would obscuring mist be enough to protect a vampire from sunlight? Since even darkvision can only go give feet through it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

DoctorTristan posted:

Pfft. They're both "Vita, Mortis, Careo" and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Soooooo now I just want to go play a bunch of BG2.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Theler posted:

I am hoping to see Z's corpse thrown into the rift.

It's amazing how little respect the deceased get in the Stickiverse since resurrection is such a viable option. The only real reverence to any corpses have been to Shojo and maybe the Cliffport cop. I mean, Roy was hauled around in a wagon with a pine tree air freshener, the teleporting Azurite wizard's skeleton was used as a puppet by Shojo, Evil V abandoned his/her family again with a melted house covered in the splatters of dead black dragon, Kubota was blown to the wind, multiple kobolds have been used as hats and dipping sauces... not even going into dealing with the undead, Team Evil, or the sheer amount of corpses that must have been left all over Azure City when the hobgoblins moved in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carrasco posted:

Unless becoming a vampire made him chaotic for some reason, Durkon's alignment is now diametrically opposed to Thor's. He may bend the rules to have Lawful followers, but they won't bend that far.

Thor is Chaotic. He has no time for your alignment rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guys, Durkon has a stick that can cast Protection from Daylight with him, presumably once per day. There will not be sun-related hijinks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Guys, Durkon has a stick that can cast Protection from Daylight with him, presumably once per day. There will not be sun-related hijinks.

Staffs have limited charges; we've been over this.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Replacing or recreating the staff probably wouldn't be a big deal. Other than Haley's dad and his ludicrous ransom, has money ever been an issue for the party?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IMJack posted:

Replacing or recreating the staff probably wouldn't be a big deal. Other than Haley's dad and his ludicrous ransom, has money ever been an issue for the party?

It's more that it contains a homebrew spell; recreating it could be problematic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It's more that it contains a homebrew spell; recreating it could be problematic.
How does the D&D rulebook handle inventing new cleric spells?

I'm guessing it could be an issue if Vampire Durkon ends up a priest of Hel instead of Nergal, but honestly it will work either way depending on whether Rich thinks it's worth the drama.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Most of the next adventure is probably in caves anyway.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Trapezium Dave posted:

How does the D&D rulebook handle inventing new cleric spells?

I'm guessing it could be an issue if Vampire Durkon ends up a priest of Hel instead of Nergal, but honestly it will work either way depending on whether Rich thinks it's worth the drama.

Clerics that research spells can cast them, but if it's not on the standard(quite broad) cleric spell list, they can't automagically get it from their deity? It's a gray area.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

greatn posted:

Most of the next adventure is probably in caves anyway.

I'm pretty sure the next gate is in a cave.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Durkon's gonna borrow the Monster in the Darkness's paradol. Problem: Solved.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fool_of_sound posted:

Staffs have limited charges; we've been over this.
Story overrides your sperglord rules; we've been over this.

To keep the plot moving requires a solution to the issue of Durkon being in the sun. He has the staff. He has a book that lets him translate spells from Malack's religion to his. We've already done 11 strips on Durkon researching a spell. We've already done jokes about the spell research rules with V. Any combination of this will let it get waved away and let things proceed, just like getting the diamonds to rez Roy was. At most it will either be handled with him dealing with his god after this, or it will be a minor subplot like getting Roy's skeleton back. But it isn't going to be a dealbreaker.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

To keep the plot moving requires a solution to the issue of Durkon being in the sun. He has the staff. He has a book that lets him translate spells from Malack's religion to his. We've already done 11 strips on Durkon researching a spell. We've already done jokes about the spell research rules with V. Any combination of this will let it get waved away and let things proceed, just like getting the diamonds to rez Roy was. At most it will either be handled with him dealing with his god after this, or it will be a minor subplot like getting Roy's skeleton back. But it isn't going to be a dealbreaker.

They are going to the land of the dwarves, who live below ground and hate trees because of it. Then they might just be going into a dungeon. You're sperging about hating rules talk is also overturnable for the sake of drama and intrigue. Rich wanted Durkon to be a vampire for almost a decade now, he's going to want one of the defining traits (hates sun) to at least get a little show. Not to mention that, while story overrides the rules those rules very much are still present, something like charges limits will at least in theory exist.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Re-read the post I was responding to, then your own. We agree that the issue is will probably be brought up at some point. I don't know any more than you do how big of a deal it will be. There's nothing spergy about that, so gently caress you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kajeesus posted:

You were the most competent and likable member of the linear guild. :patriot:

That's not a high bar to vault really. At least now we have seen the linear guild getting it's arse handed to it and probably its complete dissolution is coming up.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

TunaSpleen posted:

It's amazing how little respect the deceased get in the Stickiverse since resurrection is such a viable option. The only real reverence to any corpses have been to Shojo and maybe the Cliffport cop. I mean, Roy was hauled around in a wagon with a pine tree air freshener, the teleporting Azurite wizard's skeleton was used as a puppet by Shojo, Evil V abandoned his/her family again with a melted house covered in the splatters of dead black dragon, Kubota was blown to the wind, multiple kobolds have been used as hats and dipping sauces... not even going into dealing with the undead, Team Evil, or the sheer amount of corpses that must have been left all over Azure City when the hobgoblins moved in.

They have full knowledge that the corpse is not that person. The person has a soul and is elsewhere. It's not a matter of disrespecting the dead more of that a dead body is meaningless (except of course if someone is gonna resurrect that person and that person may hunt you down and kill you). Turning it on the real world I would assume a lot more people would be willing to be organ donors or donate their body to science if they knew no matter what they would be going to the afterlife.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I think the most interesting thing is that while Belkar has taken a slow swerve away from evil, Durkon has now taken a rather sharp plunge into it. Perhaps he'll be the one to object to him rejoining the party perhaps even putting him at odds with Roy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised, Durkon almost killed Belkar. Not of his own volition but if I was the guy who almost got sucked dry I don't know if I'd appreciate the difference, especially since the blood issue is still on the table and not likely to go away anytime soon. (On the plus side, at least Durkon can fix the ability drain now.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hire often does a vampire need blood, and does it have to be humanoid? An unblemished goat is like 80 cp.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Technically, vampires don't actually need blood according to srd :v:

That said, according to later books, vampires need both blood and life force (negative levels); life force every day and blood every three. They slowly go insane otherwise, but they don't actually deanimate for years.

I figure Rich is just using those as guidelines though.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
If you rules-lawyer it, I don't think anything in D&D (or at least, anything in the SRD - haven't looked at a real book in forever) actually says vampires must drink blood to survive.

edit: yup. But seriously, I'd imagine any DM would decide on their own about the blood thing.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Is there anything in the SRD that says humans must consume food to survive?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

Is there anything in the SRD that says humans must consume food to survive?

Actually, yes. Humans need 1 pound of food/1 gallon of fluid per day according to the DMG starvation rules.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the Druid spell goodberry would technically provide sustenance and even healing to a vampire.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Really? Wouldn't that be a positive energy effect, and therefore anathema to vampires?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Actually, yes. Humans need 1 pound of food/1 gallon of fluid per day according to the DMG starvation rules.

Huh! Those are even surprisingly sensible rules. I mean a high level character can probably go for like 3-5x as long as a real person could without food but it is high fantasy after all. It's nothing like the stupidness of the falling rules.

If there aren't any rules for vampires drinking blood you could probably just sub those starvation rules in for them.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I guess in praxis this is handled the same way as ammunition. Who really has the nerve to keep track of every character's nourishment.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 7, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cthulhuchan posted:

Really? Wouldn't that be a positive energy effect, and therefore anathema to vampires?

Nah, it has no positive energy associated with it at all. The one hp it heals is from having a delicious fulfilling meal all packed into one berry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

e X posted:

I guess in praxis this is handled the same way as ammunition. Who really has the nerve to keep track of every character's nourishment.

I vaguely recall some game where your guns had infinite ammo and you never needed to reload...until the DM decided the moment would be dramatic enough for you to run out. This often occurred to both you and your enemy at the same time, of course.

That's a good way of dealing with ammunition.