Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RoyalScion posted:

I have to say the US release is reaffirming my hatred of elves; there are so many more terrible random elves now that don't contribute anything except dying :cripes:.
Are elves really low on hit points or something? Or does their skillset lend itself to high risk gambits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are elves really low on hit points or something? Or does their skillset lend itself to high risk gambits?

Well, they're not particularly sturdy to begin with, but I think an earlier comic posted here delineates the problem nicely; once elves run out of arrows they do poo poo-all for damage, and lots of people are terrible at dodging so while trying to kick the boss for more arrows they get themselves murdered constantly.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
This game is insanely good. I'm rocking an Amazon right now and kicking fools in the face never gets old.

My PSN is Systems_id if anyone wants to join. Currently playing on the Vita since Amazon didn't ship out my PS3 copy in time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just unlocked online at level 15 as a Dwarf and figured "poo poo. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing hope I don't gently caress everything up."

Got tossed into a japanese room that was fighting a chimera and that was pretty wild. Then they showed me what I really, really hope is a easter egg boss because it was funny as hell. It was a little white killer rabbit. It had a cartoony chomping animation and summoned a giant gently caress off tornado a lot

Sad to say though as much as I enjoy the Dwarf I'm really unsure how I'm supposed to play him or what skills are good. I disarm myself a lot for the burst damage then jump/bash the hell out of things till I get my axes back. Watching people like EpicNameBro on youtube do these long elaborate combo's with the fighter just confuses me because the little dude feels super limited (even though it's probably just me)

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Finally got this game, and dear god the art and background art is gorgeous. I think I spent a good few minutes just watching the clouds in the skies float past in the main hub and market place :allears: The animation for the characters is great as well.

Also in case anyone needed it, character move lists

Tamagod Sushi posted:

You can get the new file here (Now complete with a handy line for cutting!). Could we put this in the OP as well?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sad to say though as much as I enjoy the Dwarf I'm really unsure how I'm supposed to play him or what skills are good. I disarm myself a lot for the burst damage then jump/bash the hell out of things till I get my axes back. Watching people like EpicNameBro on youtube do these long elaborate combo's with the fighter just confuses me because the little dude feels super limited (even though it's probably just me)

My two favored skills are Power Bomb and Grand Smash. I use Power Surge on large groups or on things that can't be grabbed and thrown, and I use various throws all the time. I've picked up Bomb Satchel and Magma Infusion for their utility, Rock Skin and Toughness to help in tanking situations, and Frenzy and Slide Attack to increase damage output in situations where I can't throw. I also have Evasion, Deep Pockets, and Money is Power.

If you want to play a throw-heavy Dwarf, it's important to realize a few things. First, once you grab, you have several different options that are good for different things.

Ground Grab:
- Forward+Square: Throws the enemy forward, not much of a wall bounce, though, but they travel far horizontally.
- Down+Square: Seems similar to Forward throw but also seems like it has more of a wall bounce to me, which makes it easier to follow up.
- Up+Square: Toss em high, they'll come down and shockwave on the ground. If you throw them into the wall with this, they have major hangtime so you can follow up with something else.
- Jump, Forward+Square (or Down+Square): Tosses them down to the ground diagonally, causes the shockwave.
- Jump, Up+Square: A forward toss, wall bounces, easy to follow up after.

Air Grab:
- Forward+Square: Same as jump+forward+square
- Down+Square: Dwarf does a spinning slam straight down to the ground. Does massive damage unless interrupted by some other attack.
- Down/Forward+Square: Same as down+square but moves a small distance horizontally.
- Up+Square: Same as ground grab jump+up+square.

Knowing when and how to utilize these is key both to clearing mobs with Power Bomb shockwaves and also to doing big damage with the air grab spinning slams.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 7, 2013

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Okay got my Wizard up to ~23 then started a Dwarf and just went far enough to take a look at his skills and I'd better sleep now. Game gets way more fun after you open up the online coop/random dungeon chaining stuff; I really really wish they didn't make me play through what feels like a multi-hour tutorial again for each character. I'm Creepies on PSN for anyone who's going to be wandering around smashing dungeons tomorrow.

Although I should probably spend the first part of the day offline so I can actually get these sidequests done; trying to herd random people into the right room is an exercise in futility.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm level 11 and having a pretty easy time, to be honest. I dunno if this is true of the other classes but the amazon has Bayonetta-like mobility and invincibility with her dodge and air dodge. I can dance around like a fairy (though a fairy with an rear end you could land an airplane on) all day and almost nothing can hit me.

Speaking of fairies, does Disney know Tinkerbell is in this game?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Is the pointer supposed to be this terrible to control or is it just me. It tends to move by itself when I'm not even touching the stick and the cooking minigame is next to impossible with it going all over the drat place.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Welp. No dungeon chaining for me. It apparently is an online-only thing. Having all members set to Join Off didn't seem to matter. Software hang on a black screen after the Connecting... message, and now I get to redo the last dungeon. I guess at least I got to see the cooking minigame.

Edit: Ouch, and I lost my level 77 dwarf ally. He was pretty much the only thing that kept me going after multiplayer unlocked and the fun dropped off a cliff.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, are they gonna sit in the allies list for the whole game? I'm level 6 and already have like seven of them, at that rate I'm gonna have a hundred of them by the end of the game and most of them will be useless.

You could bury the bones instead and get some items.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Marogareh posted:

Is the pointer supposed to be this terrible to control or is it just me. It tends to move by itself when I'm not even touching the stick and the cooking minigame is next to impossible with it going all over the drat place.

It's even worse in multiplayer, where one of your teammates scrolling the screen half a pixel will cause your pointer to wig the gently caress out. That entire mechanic was clearly designed with the Vita's touch screen firmly in mind and hamfisted for the PS3 backport.

Does anyone have a link to the Japanese wiki with the awesome guides?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Picked this up last night and started as a warrior but didn't find him that interesting. Started as an Elf and while the first boss was way tougher than as the warrior, i'm having a lot more fun now. Got the dagger skill and some other junk like that, some stuff seems really useless like the spirit magic but if it's leveled up who knows.

I really like playing fast melee characters (was always the thief in Shadows of Mystara) but speedy ranged character is good too. The games a lot of fun so far.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My two favored skills are Power Bomb and Grand Smash. I use Power Surge on large groups or on things that can't be grabbed and thrown, and I use various throws all the time. I've picked up Bomb Satchel and Magma Infusion for their utility, Rock Skin and Toughness to help in tanking situations, and Frenzy and Slide Attack to increase damage output in situations where I can't throw. I also have Evasion, Deep Pockets, and Money is Power.

Ground Grab:
- Jump, Up+Square: A forward toss, wall bounces, easy to follow up after.

Thanks for this, I didn't know about the Up+square toss, which is really helpful. God when I try to play other characters I'm going to be so gimped, I just wanna toss everyone and flex everywhere.

Also: Dwarf has the greatest riding pose, I usually don't like riding pets in these kinds of games but drat if he isn't looking cool as hell with them.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Whats up with death? I died once against the minotaur and came back to life, and was told I lost a "Life point" but with no explanation about how I got one in the first place or how many I had left. Is it like, 3 deaths and you're out or something?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
HACKANSLASH

I'm sorry I couldn't get with you last night bud. My girlfriendex-gf got pretty sick so it looks like I won't be on much until this friday. Don't over-level! ALso, I'm playing as a dwarf

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Life Points are like lives, when you run out of HP you lose a life and continue on with full health. At the start of most adventures you will have 2, and by using prayer at the temple or getting a lot of points you can get bonus lives.

Run out of lives and it's game over (or you can pay money to continue).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

nftyw posted:

Life Points are like lives, when you run out of HP you lose a life and continue on with full health. At the start of most adventures you will have 2, and by using prayer at the temple or getting a lot of points you can get bonus lives.

Run out of lives and it's game over (or you can pay money to continue).

You can also continue multiple times, but the cost goes up exponentially every time you do.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Can I just say how gorgeous the art is? I can spend minutes looking at it and that kid with the wine bottle as tall as he is is cute as hell.

That being said, does anyone find the AI partners a little lacking? I haven't tried the sorceress but my understanding was that she can create food to heal people but so far my level 9 AI just summons a wood monster. The only way I can find is to jump around and hope they walk over food.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Can I just say how gorgeous the art is? I can spend minutes looking at it and that kid with the wine bottle as tall as he is is cute as hell.

That being said, does anyone find the AI partners a little lacking? I haven't tried the sorceress but my understanding was that she can create food to heal people but so far my level 9 AI just summons a wood monster. The only way I can find is to jump around and hope they walk over food.

Create Food is a spell unlocked through skill points that she has to know and have equipped like an item in order to use. Your AI partner probably doesn't know it/have it equipped.

AI partners are really dumb and useless as anything but distractions past the very beginning of the game, and the fact that they scale enemies while being dumb as rocks/dying constantly means that they're not even very good distractions.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
AI partners can be pretty helpful to powerlevel through maps you might not be prepared for, but there are times where they are useful (beating up trash mobs) and times where they are not useful (2 sorceresses that hopped in to help you with the Gazer).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man I couldn't get into the Sorc but the Amazon, Fighter and Dwarf are great fun. Im surprised at how strong fighter is at the start of the game compared to the amazon but I can see how the amazon will quickly outpace his damage thanks to her unlockable traits.

Im seriously conflicted, I dont know which hero to main :(.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012

The AI I've used has that aggressive "run up and attack until you die" approach, which leads them to their doom against bosses often.

I'm using the sorceress right now and the AI does grab food when I make it, and when it is found. However, it does take them a few seconds to realize the food is there.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man I couldn't get into the Sorc but the Amazon, Fighter and Dwarf are great fun. Im surprised at how strong fighter is at the start of the game compared to the amazon but I can see how the amazon will quickly outpace his damage thanks to her unlockable traits.

Im seriously conflicted, I dont know which hero to main :(.

This is how I feel too. The fighter was incredibly easy to play straight off the bat, but now i'm getting into Elf and have some skills unlocked i'm loving loving it. I want to play as everyone (maybe not the Sorceress) at some point but I don't think i'll go back to the fighter for a long while anyway.

As for AI companions, if you don't have any you'll get a free one joining you as soon as you do the next mission anyway. I just dismissed all mine and bury their bones since I like playing by myself, but currently the games given me another elf to run around with. She's loving dire.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Drunk fairy in the tavern is funny to me every single time.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Deliciouscesium posted:

The AI I've used has that aggressive "run up and attack until you die" approach, which leads them to their doom against bosses often.

I'm using the sorceress right now and the AI does grab food when I make it, and when it is found. However, it does take them a few seconds to realize the food is there.

Ah ok, yeah I used to try and keep an balanced party of mages + warriors but I'm starting to get the impression I'm better off stacking sorceress or sorcerer for CC (I'm a dwarf)

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Whats with the old beggar outside the temple?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Took me an hour and twenty minutes to take transit to work, normally around 45, but I didn't notice because Dragon's Crown was so engrossing. I was struggling a bit last night, but it clicked today. As discussed, you have to be choosey with AI companions, or not use them at all. Another thing I missed, it's helpful to enable the Adventure's Guild quests. I thought they were for "later" or when you didn't want to do plot missions... they're actually tasks that (can) run concurrently with the plot quests and areas.

I've seen a tiny little bit of slowdown so far, but really only because I was looking for it. Still felt smooth.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Thievery posted:

Whats with the old beggar outside the temple?

You find out after a quest a little later after he shows up.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I seem to have maxed out the Labyrinth of Chaos at the 9th floor, I'm guessing more unlocks after I clear Inferno?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

exser posted:

You find out after a quest a little later after he shows up.

Okay cool thanks.

I just found out you can click on poo poo in the background that doesn't sparkle and get told some info by the narrator. I don't know if this is a very common thing (I'm on the ghost ship and clicked a flag, it told me about the pirates) but it's really neat. I couldn't get the mouse wizard to do handstands though which upset me a lot.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Okay cool thanks.

I just found out you can click on poo poo in the background that doesn't sparkle and get told some info by the narrator. I don't know if this is a very common thing (I'm on the ghost ship and clicked a flag, it told me about the pirates) but it's really neat. I couldn't get the mouse wizard to do handstands though which upset me a lot.

You can't tap on npcs in those cutscenes until you unlock the option to take alternate routes in stages.

e: well you can but nothing will happen until then.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 7, 2013

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
So I started doing local coop with an amazon and wizard and I'm playing an elf but I don't think I "get" it yet, how are you supposed to play them? While I rarely die the amazon and wizard seem to do way more damage than me. I saw a post earlier in the thread to get power shot, ignore rapid fire, and choose poison or fire (I chose poison).

We're all level 6 to 8

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

Lakbay posted:

So I started doing local coop with an amazon and wizard and I'm playing an elf but I don't think I "get" it yet, how are you supposed to play them? While I rarely die the amazon and wizard seem to do way more damage than me. I saw a post earlier in the thread to get power shot, ignore rapid fire, and choose poison or fire (I chose poison).

We're all level 6 to 8

Do get powershot, it's going to be a huge source of your damage as the elf. Learn to do a few combos with her too, like chaining her kick combo into an aerial bow shot after the air launch kick she does since enemies will always land in range of an aerial powershot. Also, rapid fire isn't really a forgettable skill, it's amazing to use to burst down most enemies and tears through bosses.
Also if your confident enough to land it, clone shot is amazing too, doubly for bosses.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Always be using arrows if you've got them, don't be doing melee unless you run out of arrows or you have a dagger. I found taking the dagger abilities was really useful as you get 3 free daggers to use in a level, and having backstab makes you do a tonne of damage if you're behind the enemies with the dagger. Also there's a skill in Common that makes you less likely to use up a charge of a temporary weapon, which works on the daggers you can create.

Of course, I have no idea how to actually play an elf since i'm only level 14 and have only played solo. So take that as you want.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Compaints about network stability and pointer accuracy are being addressed in a upcoming patch, among other things.

quote:

Dragon’s Crown just came out in North America and Atlus already has an update for the game. The patch announced for Japan improves network stability and adds a couple of gameplay tweaks. Here’s what in the Dragon’s Crown update released on PSN today:

- You can pickup hidden items with the finger cursor.

- The L1 button on PS3 and the L button on Vita can be used for item shortcuts.

- The dagger and bomb can be thrown diagonally by pressing the left stick up and pressing triangle.

- An added feature allows you to repair all of the items in your bag at once.

- The online menu has a feature to select an area so you can play with other adventures from the same region.

Atlus also made various tweaks to Dragon’s Crown to make it play better. One of these is making runestones more visible and expanding the number of arrows dropped if there are more Elves in the party.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/07/dragons-crown-update-makes-network-play-smoother-adds-diagonal-throwing/#cdPrBejP7SMAEqH3.99

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
I've noticed when I go into inventory it lets me set a shortcut key for items (like triangle) Triangle is obviously used for other poo poo, how does that work?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Up on D-Pad + the face key you set to the item = Item use.

I still think scrolling is handier.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is there an online skill list anywhere? I am incredibly indecisive as to what to start playing and wouldn't mind looking at what skills/spells are available for each class before I do.

• Locked thread