Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Handsome Ralph posted:

Taken with my phone (so appologies for the poor quality) but the National WW2 Museum had a B-26 with some bitchin nose art.

Funny name for a B-26 too considering it's record :haw:

Actually, I think that's a B-24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a great name for a photo-recon B26. Take a look at the unit insignia to the left of it and the mission markers. Those are little cameras, not bombs.

Nice, didn't even notice that. Clever boys.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Youtube "related videos" actually served up something related when I was watching something, this is a minor miracle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKlQyPOiRuE

This is some marketing piece from SAAB for the Gripen NG. It's ... I don't know. Ace Combat: The Marketing? Just give it a minute, this thing is so dead serious but it's also pretty funny.

And if CG Gripens aren't your thing, a real one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKT08cfG0U

:sweden:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

Youtube "related videos" actually served up something related when I was watching something, this is a minor miracle.

This is some marketing piece from SAAB for the Gripen NG. It's ... I don't know. Ace Combat: The Marketing? Just give it a minute, this thing is so dead serious but it's also pretty funny.
I'm pretty sure this was posted here before because I remember watching it. Still hilarious though.

Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxi_rqAW9vM

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesus christ that marketing vid is amazing, albeit confusing.

Now I don't know if I want to go enlist in the Swedish Airforce or log into steam.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now I don't know if I want to go enlist in the Swedish Airforce or log into steam.

Hey iyaayas retitle the thread

I agree. It's half awesome and half "what?"

INH: It probably was but if so, I never clicked on it and that means it needed a repost :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Insert name here posted:

I'm pretty sure this was posted here before because I remember watching it. Still hilarious though.

It got posted (and mocked) in the GiP pics and vids thread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

Hey iyaayas retitle the thread

I agree. It's half awesome and half "what?"

The best part is that apparently something like 5 modern fighters is enough to be an effective peacekeeping force for an entire vaguely African country.

Who needs boots on the ground when you can have the ever present Swedish eye circling over head, ready to blow up anything it disapproves of (after being vetted and OK'd by the local El Presidente, of course).

edit:
I mean, I can almost see the committee meeting where they crafted that script to be as inoffensive as possible to a European audience while still emphasizing that their toy will blow poo poo up but good.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best part is that apparently something like 5 modern fighters is enough to be an effective peacekeeping force for an entire vaguely African country.

Who needs boots on the ground when you can have the ever present Swedish eye circling over head, ready to blow up anything it disapproves of (after being vetted and OK'd by the local El Presidente, of course)

Counterpoint, boots on the ground might have noticed an entire invasion force with time for diplomatic or at least less self-destructive solutions before the Gripens noticed THERE'S A MAN HERE

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
edit: wrong thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Counterpoint, boots on the ground might have noticed an entire invasion force with time for diplomatic or at least less self-destructive solutions before the Gripens noticed THERE'S A MAN HERE

But boots on the ground would mean strange men potentially shooting at our army and voters don't like casualties :ohdear:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Who needs boots on the ground when you can have gripens on the road?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
And an awful lot of ground support on the side of that road for those Gripens, which could also be shot at by strange men

E: vvv it's Gripens all the way down

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 7, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

And an awful lot of ground support on the side of that road for those Gripens, which could also be shot at by strange men

Nah the Gripens will shoot the strange men before they can shoot the Gripens's support. Beside Gripens can support Gripens so you don't need a whole lot of Gripens support to support Gripens that isn't Gripens.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Psion posted:

It's amazing, "Our eyes in the sky see everything.... apart from this huge invasion force that sneaked past us... poo poo"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

They used camouflage tarps. Not even the Gripen can see through tarps!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
If they are only an hour from the capital city when the Grippens notice them shouldn't the capital city be under indirect fire?

keyrock
Mar 5, 2010
Just finished an interesting Cold War era book: A Bucket Full of Sunshine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0752470213

It is the autobiography of a Canberra pilot stationed in Germany. To give you an idea of the times, he was qualified for low level nuclear delivery before he was eligible to vote.

It's well-written, amusing in some parts, terrifying in others and a subject that is not quite on the front burner.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Psion posted:

The must be using tarp tanks (tanks with huge poles at each edge of 100m square tarps) to move under cover. That's much better than our 25m tarps.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Psion posted:

Not until they push the "see through tarp" button anyway.

It's a good thing that one guy stepped away from the tarp to take a piss or something.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Psion posted:

Nonono, they obiously used this other Swedish (BAE-Sweden) thing, Adaptive IR camo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Caconym posted:

Nonono, they obiously used this other Swedish (BAE-Sweden) thing, Adaptive IR camo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE

Four aircraft holding off an entire rating army. Neat!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Psion posted:

And if CG Gripens aren't your thing, a real one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKT08cfG0U

That was Ace Combat as gently caress

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Insane Totoro posted:

Especially with a capital city name like Freedom Town.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Nukemap 3D inspired me to start putting together an alternate history based on able archer '83 going as horrendous as possible and resulting in all out toe to toe nucular combat with the rooskies, if people are interested I can post it?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Everyone dies, the end.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

Whatever they used to knock out the bridge was stupid, because everyone knows the Gripen only carries ARAK 70 rocket pods, because every other special weapon isn't as good :c00l:

also dear world investing in the F-35 boondoggle, just buy some Gripens, make Sweden the NATO powerhouse of the decade. At least you'll have a functioning plane.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 7, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DesperateDan posted:

Nukemap 3D inspired me to start putting together an alternate history based on able archer '83 going as horrendous as possible and resulting in all out toe to toe nucular combat with the rooskies, if people are interested I can post it?

If it counts for anything, sure!

I'm still waiting for the next part of whoever's MAD posts.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I know that NZ was all "Hey, no nukes here, guys" but I can't imagine a WW3 scenario that doesn't also include Wellington catching a few nukes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Psion posted:

Whatever they used to knock out the bridge was stupid, because everyone knows the Gripen only carries ARAK 70 rocket pods, because every other special weapon isn't as good :c00l:

also dear world investing in the F-35 boondoggle, just buy some Gripens, make Sweden the NATO powerhouse of the decade. At least you'll have a functioning plane.

I guess you missed the youtube comment going on and on about how the F-35 was better in everyway!

quote:

Funny how the F-35 can still fly circles around that plane. It also possess everything highlighted in this "commercial". Only difference is, the F-35 CAN handle a Su-27,35 and 37. (The 37 is not in production, just making a point) The F-35 also has stealth to it's advantage. I am not saying the Gripen isn't lethal, it really is. But when it comes down to it, the F-35 will almost always win.
:v:

The moral of the story is, don't read youtube comments.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Ah yes, the mystical Su-35 and Su-37 that shall be the death of American fighters.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I've been under the impression that the Gripen is actually kinda garbage, with crappy avionics, poor capacity for weapons, and short range/low endurance.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mortabis posted:

I've been under the impression that the Gripen is actually kinda garbage, with crappy avionics, poor capacity for weapons, and short range/low endurance.

Dude, did you even watch the video?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

FrozenVent posted:

Dude, did you even watch the video?

Uh, no, actually.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mortabis posted:

Uh, no, actually.

That would explain - and to an extend excuse - your blasphemy against the Grippen. Watch the video.

Seriously, watch the video.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
From a few pages back.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is kind of a non-answer since I honestly have no clue about what the Russians were doing with women in combat roles after WW2, but. . .

Then why are you answering about things you self-admittedly know nothing about.

Nebakenezzer posted:

That brings me to a cold war era related question, though: in WW2, many women served in the soviet army, even in combat roles. Did this stop after WW2? Was this purely practical adaptation, or did communist ideology have few problems with equity for women?

Sort of. The question is more of culture rather than communist ideology. In Russian culture the idea of a woman serving in a primary combat role has always been tied to "Oh poo poo the Germans/French/Mongols are coming" situations. So once the Germans were gone, the communist propaganda ended up espousing the woman-as-a-mother message. Which is really not that surprising, since, you know, a shitload of people died, so repopulation was a government priority. So the number of women in active combat roles decreased significantly, and then mostly died out, since pretty much any policy in the 50-s on was straight ripped off from the west, and god help the glorious soviet army if we are seen as weak because we have women actively serving in our ranks. So it did indeed become a very glass ceiling sort of thing.

Plenty of women officers, border patrol guards and police though.

During WWII things were a bit different, and the generation that was in the war had a very "this had to be done, but it wasn't optimal" view on the situation. This is talking from personal anecdotes here - My Grandmother was part of an Anti-Aircraft watch in Leningrad during the blockade, and my Great-Grandmother was a Fireman in Leningrad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OWLS! posted:

From a few pages back.

Then why are you answering about things you self-admittedly know nothing about.

Because while I didn't have the answer to that specific question, I do know a bit about some related issues and thought that they might be of interest to the person asking the question and maybe even help that person find a suitable answer on their own.

If you'd bothered to quote any of what came next you would notice that it basically dovetails nicely with your family's own anecdotes. Wartime exigencies are one thing, old school Marxist/Leninist (e.g. early 30s and earlier) thought and models something else, and the realities of how far women could rise in post-war soviet society something else.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you'd bothered to quote any of what came next you would notice that it basically dovetails nicely with your family's own anecdotes. Wartime exigencies are one thing, old school Marxist/Leninist (e.g. early 30s and earlier) thought and models something else, and the realities of how far women could rise in post-war soviet society something else.

Except the question was about front-line roles and not about how far women could rise in the military.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OWLS! posted:

Except the question was about front-line roles and not about how far women could rise in the military.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because while I didn't have the answer to that specific question, I do know a bit about some related issues and thought that they might be of interest to the person asking the question and maybe even help that person find a suitable answer on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
In October 1983 Able Archer, a NATO exercise in escalation of hostilities with Warsaw pact forces to the point of nuclear exchange, saw the Soviet Union, at a time of extreme political weakness, with Chairman Andropov laying slowly dying from kidney failure in a hospital bed, the exercise as a possible ruse to a first strike designed to decapitate a disoriented leader and fractious government. The Soviet Union responded with high alerts and a strong suspicion of attack.

As this was near to the high point of cold war weaponry and overkill madness, I thought it might be nice if things went to poo poo rather than calming down, and by go to poo poo, I mean about as bad as things could have gotten.

So let's mess with history.

12th September 1983

A 12 strong, Red Army Faction cell launches an attack on an American checkpoint/strongpoint in West Berlin with heavy machine guns and rocket propelled grenade fire. The American unit responds in force, but mistakenly also attack East German Guard units, who respond in turn. Commanders on both sides quickly rein in the situation, but with the level of firepower sitting around, casualties number several hundred total, more than half civilian. International outrage with each side blaming the other.

2nd November 1983

Able Archer goes ahead. Andropov's health worsens more due to increased tensions, after the Korean Airlines shootdown he was bad, after the fictitious attack in west Berlin he has a mild heart attack and is barely in play at this point. Hardline factions push for a strong military stance in response to the provocation of Able Archer, flights by TU-95 Bears probing coastlines and edges of carrier battle groups increase and become more aggressive, units are called home from leave, maintenance budgets just became limitless.

November - December 1983

These actions noticed by Western intelligence, who interpret the increased readiness in their opponents as probable power plays as preparations for Andropov's imminent death.
The only logical response for the Soviets, given what they believed was to prepare for the worst, and every branch of the services started dispersing what they could and digging in what they couldn't. Things like that are expensive, and get noticed, and now Western Intelligence are sniffing around a lot more, and reporting back with concern as they find out the depth of the Soviet preparations for war. The Western response is to start dispersing and digging in too, and civilians start getting leaflets of what to do in the event of Nuclear War. This, of course is noted by Soviet intelligence as confirmation of their suspicions. Military leaves cancelled, shops start to ration, art is taken from galleries, kids stop showing up at school. Governments start quietly passing emergency laws, a worried world starts digging in.

5th January 1984 2240 GMT

A large NATO carrier task force in the North sea is undergoing the new levels of harassment from Soviet Naval Aviation, a pair of Bears are performing a fake attack run. The F-14 pilot up to ID them is fatigued, and when caught in slipstream from veering too close collides with the Bear. The equally fatigued pilot of the other Bear radios frantically that they are under attack, before targeting it's KH22 antiship missiles on the largest target around and firing, shortly before being torn apart by the F-14's wingman. Both missiles miss.

Little has been passed on the Andropov in the last few days but he finally manages to get a reasonable idea of the severity of the situation. He attempts to leave his sickbed, but the strain is too much, and the 69 year old former WWII partisan collapses and dies.

6th January 0112 GMT

Two more Bears are encountered by F-14's and downed. The Soviet theatre commander is getting no clear response from his superiors, who are too busy finding out which faction of the politburo they should be obeying, and orders in a strike by 8 TU22M Backfires. A little over an hour later, 80 KH-15 antiship missiles are launched at a promising target in the NATO carrier task force. They climbed to a little over 100,000 feet before going into a terminal dive at around mach 5. Many were intercepted or distracted, but several penetrate the defences of the carriers picket.
They are conventional, but there are seven of them, and HMS Invincible sinks quickly, nearly all crew lost. Partnering carriers and escorts from NATO proceed to savage a small task force of Soviet units but also unknowingly kill an Delta class Missile Submarine that was visiting a tender, warheads and all.

The loss of a nuclear asset does start getting the attentions of a frenzied Soviet high command, as does a carrier group on the attack.

6th January 0336

The NATO force is now headed towards another Soviet task force, with a heavy air complement in place.
Only one submarine bypasses the defences of the carrier group, but that's enough, and as the Enterprise is receiving an F-14 the equivalent of 20 Kilotons of TNT detonated a few metres from the hull, a destroyer and it's auxiliary are also in the maelstrom. The fireball is nearly half a kilometre wide, and the blast waves and thermal radiation damage ships over 10 kilometres from the epicentre.

In command and control rooms worldwide, red lights flash and alarms sound.

As many members of the Politburo are currently en route to bunkers, there is no clear leadership other than the hardline faction already in place. Two members of the Politburo known to be moderate never make it to a bunker, and their executed bodies are dumped in a ditch by their politically reliable drivers for no-one to ever find. The hardline faction is making itself the only faction.

A 3 hour ceasefire is agreed, and both sides pull away from each other slightly.

Apologies if it's a bit crap, been awhile since I wrote anything