Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Rurik posted:

The one thing I'd like to have is the battles being more unpredictable. An army should be able to beat a force three times its size very rarely, but right now it's practically impossible.

Agreed. At the moment it's pretty much whoever has the most numbers wins, give or take some terrain advantages that only make a slight difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Yureina posted:

Agreed. At the moment it's pretty much whoever has the most numbers wins, give or take some terrain advantages that only make a slight difference.

Cultural retinues can punch well above their weight(even if they don't include heavy cavalry/horse archers) - if you build the respective bonus building in your capital it adds to retinue's bonus, with technology and commander specializing in this troop type you'll have around +100% bonus.
Levies have more or less same compositions for everyone so the raw numbers decide all.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Retinues don't get additional boni from cultural buildings. If you hover over your units in the reorganize army view it lists all the modifiers each unit has. Hauscarls start with +60% attack for example, same as heavy infantry with the level 5 cultural building.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, that was a course of action I considered doing right after beating them by the skin of my teeth. Good advice, but I guess since Republic games tend to be snowballs once you get enough cashflow, being stuck between the purple blob and relatively-united Italy is kind of a thrill in its own way.

I suppose I'll save it for a desperate situation. Meanwhile, Venice is going to show those bluebloods that :10bux: money makes the world go round :10bux:. Still, I wonder why my de jure drift isn't working for Venezia itself...

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 7, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

EightDeer posted:

How about :
code:
allow = {
       ROOT = {
              ai = no
       }
       <additional restrictions go here>
This may be a stupid question, but you did try this first, right?
code:
allow = {
       ai = no
       <additional restrictions go here>
}

Ahhh! The first one worked, thanks very much :)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, that was a course of action I considered doing right after beating them by the skin of my teeth. Good advice, but I guess since Republic games tend to be snowballs once you get enough cashflow, being stuck between the purple blob and relatively-united Italy is kind of a thrill in its own way.

I suppose I'll save it for a desperate situation. Meanwhile, Venice is going to show those bluebloods that :10bux: money makes the world go round :10bux:. Still, I wonder why my de jure drift isn't working for Venezia itself...

Venice will never de jure drift out of Byzantium on its own. I think if you create your own empire then Venice will drift into that one, not sure though, maybe someone else knows?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?706296-Crusader-Kings-II-Patch-1.11-and-Customizer-Dev-Diary

quote:

Patch 1.11:
1.11 will be deployed next week, and the new patch will include a few features that should make dealing with plots a bit easier. After hatching a plot, you can now tell the game to automatically invite all plotters who are willing to join your scheme. No more having to browse through the Potential Plotters list and individually sending requests to every single character who wants to join!

Also, you can now set the game to always demand that characters end their plots as soon as they come to your attention. Another handy addition is that you can now see at a glance which potential plotters can be won over to your side if they are bribed.

Among the other things added is a new Siege Leader trait (finally), a favorite IP table for the multiplayer menu and some additional support for modders.

Customizer:
This is a smaller DLC on the scale of the Ruler Designer, but it's something that many have asked for. It will give players an easy way to customize several items in their games when they are already well underway.

- You can have your character pay a visit to the barber, where their hairstyle or facial hair can be altered... within reason (no bearded women, sorry).

- You can rename any title held by you or your vassals

- Finally, if you feel the need to shake things up a bit, you can alter the name and shield of your dynasty

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
That customizer DLC looks pretty weak.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

That plot invitation thing was a long time coming.

Also, being able to get whatever magnificent beard whenever I want is great.

TjyvTompa posted:

Venice will never de jure drift out of Byzantium on its own. I think if you create your own empire then Venice will drift into that one, not sure though, maybe someone else knows?

Really? Huh, I remember having some games where Venice drifted out of Byzantium, though they might've been CK2+ games.

Oh well, the Empire of Italia was my end-game goal for this save anyway.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kainser posted:

That customizer DLC looks pretty weak.

Title name change and dynasty name change I look forward to. Depends on the price point I guess :)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I guess dynasty name changing is Paradox' way of implementing cadet branches in a way :v:

e; unless the entire dynasty changes.

e2; which it apparently does.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 7, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

That plot invitation thing was a long time coming.

Also, being able to get whatever magnificent beard whenever I want is great.

Man, and plot invitation is really the least useful of potential automation/"list convenience" features (because you're still going to have to manually bribe a lot of guys anyway most likely). I really wish you could filter the character search by guys that would accept an invitation to court for example, or auto-ransom prisoners.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 7, 2013

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Really? Huh, I remember having some games where Venice drifted out of Byzantium, though they might've been CK2+ games.

I've definitely seen it, and I've never tried CK2+.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

That plot thing is going to be loving brilliant when I'm trying to murder someone who's already unpopular.

canepazzo posted:

Title name change and dynasty name change I look forward to. Depends on the price point I guess :)

This as well. I'd pay a couple of dollars for this,if only so I can obsessively rename the titles I give my vassals in a way that suits my liege's (and their) culture.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Being able to change the name of titles sounds like it will be good fun and won't lead to King Weedhitler ruling over the Dickbutt Kingdom with an iron fist, nosiree.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Omnicarus posted:

It's prolly cause they see you raidin, and they hatin, raisin levies tryin catch you rowin' dirty.

I would like to suggest this as a new thread title.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Man, and plot invitation is really the least useful of potential automation/"list convenience" features (because you're still going to have to manually bribe a lot of guys anyway most likely). I really wish you could filter the character search by guys that would accept an invitation to court for example, or auto-ransom prisoners.

Fair enough; I'd like a "raise levy, raise fleet, embark levy on fleet" hotkey for Norse raiding and mostly-coastal nations like the Italians and British/Irish. Gets real tiring when you start getting more vassals under you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thank gently caress, they finally sorted out plots.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I guess I'll have to fire up a vanilla run for EU4 conversion anyway, won't I?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I love the idea of that Customiser DLC, just for the title/dynasty name change if nothing else. I posted some time ago about the possibility of a once-per-ruler decision to change your primary title's name to whatever you want. Finally, I won't have to play a Muslim in order to write swearwords across the independent realms map!

Speaking of the EU4 converter, I haven't been able to read much about it, but I saw somewhere that only your personal holdings will be considered part of your country, and your vassal's holdings will be considered vassal countries, and all that entails. Does anyone know if this is true? It seems kinda weird if a duchy that is de jure part of your kingdom suddenly is considered a seperate entity in EU4, and will lead to all sorts of weirdness for any major kingdom/empire.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 7, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Personally I'd like a will accept if bribed icon when looking for claimants/ plotters. And ransom all prisoners.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Trauma Tank posted:

Speaking of the EU4 converter, I haven't been able to read much about it, but I saw somewhere that only your personal holdings will be considered part of your country, and your vassal's holdings will be considered vassal countries, and all that entails. Does anyone know if this is true? It seems kinda weird if a duchy that is de jure part of your kingdom suddenly is considered a seperate entity in EU4, and will lead to all sorts of weirdness for any major kingdom/empire.
That's only for the lowest level of crown authority.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Kainser posted:

That's only for the lowest level of crown authority.

Ah thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

toasterwarrior posted:

De jure drift works on both a kingdom level and an empire level. Duchies drift into and out of kingdoms, and kingdoms drift into and out of empires.

The Kingdom of Venice starts out as de jure part of the Byzantine Empire. If you expand and take over Verona for example, after 100 years Verona will drift out of the kingdom of Italy and into the kingdom of Venice. At the same time, since Venice is part of the Byzantine Empire, this will also make Verona drift into becoming de jure part of the Byzantine Empire since it is now de jure part of Venice.

If you form the Empire of Italia as Venice, the Kingdom of Venice (no matter what its borders became in the meantime) will start to drift out of the Byzantine Empire and into Italia.

Basically, de jure drift is tricky because the fact that it can occur on two levels can be confusing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Customizer sounds cool. My dynasty has been stuck with a pagan COA even though we converted to Christianity hundreds of years ago.

I just wish it would let you put your fatty king on a diet.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero One posted:

Customizer sounds cool. My dynasty has been stuck with a pagan COA even though we converted to Christianity hundreds of years ago.
This seems to be a bug affecting my game actually, wherein when I select the Bagrationi it shows a Christian COA but once game starts converts back to Pagan. I don't even know if they even have pagan ancestors, either!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Zero One posted:

I just wish it would let you put your fatty king on a diet.
He has a gland problem, be sensitive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

toasterwarrior posted:

Crusader Kings II - 1.103 PATCH RELEASED - Checksum WQLL - NOT for problem reports!

quote:

- Independent kingdoms can no longer drift out of their de jure empires

They changed it so they no longer drift out of their empires, the Byzantines will always be a threat in your Venice game.

If the customizer is cheap enough I will go for it. It seems shallow, but I think being able to style my rulers will be nice. Also, CoA change after conversion sounds good.

The plot automations seem long overdue, but I am just happy to get them, especially that you will be able to see at a glance who you can bribe to join your plot. I just blew about 200 gold trying to bribe 3 guys to join me in the plot to kill their liege, and not one of them did agree to do it. This eyeballing if your bribe is enough to bring them to your side is really annoying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Crusader Kings II - 1.103 PATCH RELEASED - Checksum WQLL - NOT for problem reports!

Good find. It's fine now I guess, I got my 10k-ish retinue stack up and running, and the AI has such a hard time dealing with huge amphibious assaults that I can beat out a numerical advantage by killing them off as they spawn.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I think I hit a bug. As Scandinavian emperor I launched a conquest for Asturias de Oviedo against the king of Castille, but when I won the war this happened:

Since he was a dirty heathen I could also revoke his king title and all his provinces without any negative reactions from my vassals.

This can't be right?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So I'm playing as King of the Magyars (the easiest playthrough ever), and after the initial war with Bulgaria, I couldn't fire up the Creation Of Hungary event because the Duke of Pest revolted against the Bulgarians and thus was independent at the time of peace. Sometime between then and my creation of the Croation crown the decision disappeared. I created the Kingdom of Hungary the normal way, hoping that it'd fire up the event but it didn't. So what exactly causes the event to appear/disappear and is there any way to manually fire it up now that I've fulfilled all the conditions for it?

I want my nomadic pastoralists to settle into their new like as a strong Orthodox sedentary people damnit.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

marktheando posted:

Thank gently caress, they finally sorted out plots.

Hell yeah. Now they just need to ditch the siege popups and add a claim filter to the character finder.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Think I might've found a kind of weird bug.

So, as a Karling, I made one of my relatives the Patrician of the Republic of Brittany. Fast forward a couple hundred years, and the Patrician Karlings are still going strong, though they've sat out the latest Doge election. Now the Lord-Mayor Karling patrician is Count of Léon, vassal of the current Doge of Brittany. I decide that I've gotten sick of being the Mega-HRE and tag over to him, and find that I can plot to fabricate a claim on the Republic of Brittany.

I do so, and then declare a war for my claim. However, when the sitting Doge relinquishes his claim to me, I get a game-over saying that I have "become the ruler of a Republic and must end the game".

Why is this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do you have the republic DLC?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I guess I'll have to fire up a vanilla run for EU4 conversion anyway, won't I?
I don't know what makes a game incompatible with the converter but I know that CK2+ won't work, Wiz said so on the paradox forums. Probably new cultures, religions and titles will ruin it.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

quote:

Patch 1.11:
1.11 will be deployed next week, and the new patch will include a few features that should make dealing with plots a bit easier. After hatching a plot, you can now tell the game to automatically invite all plotters who are willing to join your scheme. No more having to browse through the Potential Plotters list and individually sending requests to every single character who wants to join!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?706296-Crusader-Kings-II-Patch-1.11-and-Customizer-Dev-Diary

My mousehand is crying with tears of happiness!

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 7, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have the republic DLC?

Yes, I do! It's why I could play as the patrician Karlings in the first place!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Try saving when the war-score reaches 100, load up as another ruler, wait for the war to finish, then save and see if you can load up as him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my giant Karling France-blob neighbour just imploded amazingly.

They had all of france proper, half of Iberia, and most of Italy and they held onto it through a few successions so I was terrified (as pagan denmark) of them.
I checked out the current king and he only had 1 son despite being fairly old. I hate the Karlings so I decided to try to kill his son and maybe end their line. I only had a 30% chance to succeed and a 60% chance to be caught but what ever, I tried and it worked ad I didn't even get caught. For some reason the heir became a Byzantine Princess. Awesome, maybe after the emperor dies the Karling line won't be ruling in Francia anymore!

Fast forward a few years and suddenly Francia is gone, instead there is MEGA-BYZANTIUM. Spanning from Iberia to Belgium, from France to Constantinople this empire was huge and actually connected though central and eastern europe. Had I traded one scary empire for an even bigger one????

Almost instantly half of France fractures and massive independence wars and various claim-wars are started. At this time some muslims launch a holy war to re-take chunks of Iberia. After only a few years the dust settles and "france" is now a fractured collection of little 2-5 county nations, Iberia has been mostly re-taken by the muslims, and much of Byzantium's conquests in the Balkans and eastern europe are fighting wars of independence.

Awesome, all from one lucky assassination of a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ragg posted:

Hell yeah. Now they just need to ditch the siege popups and add a claim filter to the character finder.

Also, a filter for positive/negative traits for my medieval eugenics program.

• Locked thread