Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

JanPospisil posted:

Oh, that new event Freebooter screencapped on the previous page, I did that. And that piece is gone, was the first to sell actually. Yeah, my scenes look different to the ones Stefano and the other artists did, but I did try to stay as close as possible. Stefano's watercolors were what attracted me to the game initially, it's just an amazing thing of beauty. ;)

Hah, that was me actually, I just can't get enough of your interpretations. The "conspirators in Seshnela" piece you did is amazing, can't wait to see what you do with the Elder Races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Ah, right on, I forgot to read the rules about signatures. :(

I'd answer questions and stuff if you had any, but I'm just a lowly artist, not much involved in the actual game(s). Hopefully I'll get to paint more scenes for KoDP, it's fun and working with David is very easy. So, if you want new scene art, bug him on the blog, twitter, wherever. ;P (he has to write the encounters first)

@Fuligin: if you by any chance happen to be at Gen Con, Jeff should have a few samples and WIPs of mine for the Guide to show.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I am questioning my decision to put this woman on the ring.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Is she another healer who thinks they worship Humakt or something? Those are starting to become an epidemic.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Jenx posted:

Is she another healer who thinks they worship Humakt or something? Those are starting to become an epidemic.

The hourglass-ish symbol indicates she's an Uraldan. Given their Goddess's heroquest's fatality rate, I'm more surprised that more of them don't walk around like a high school goth clique declaring everything being poo poo, death, and doom.

If I recall, Chalana Arroy and followers have a weird relationship with the undead, in that healing them isn't really a very practical thing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Vaga42Bond posted:

The hourglass-ish symbol indicates she's an Uraldan. Given their Goddess's heroquest's fatality rate, I'm more surprised that more of them don't walk around like a high school goth clique declaring everything being poo poo, death, and doom.

If I recall, Chalana Arroy and followers have a weird relationship with the undead, in that healing them isn't really a very practical thing.

For Uraldans I could see them being fatalistic. Some die so that others may live, that is their way after all. The cow that lives in comfort is eventually going to be a steak dinner.

Chalana Arroy followers see the existence of undead as an injury don't they? There's only really one cure.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
:doh: Okay yeah, she's obviously Uraldan and I'm an idiot. I had completely forgotten what that symbol was. I guess it does make sense for her to be fatalistic. Her goddess is a cow and she'll probably die the next time she tries to heroquest.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The game is giving me a hard time. Combat just feels so random - Sometimes 6 Thanes and 80 fyrdmen can slaughter twice their number. Which happens to my enemies more often than to me.

I also occasionally have trouble harvesting enough food, despite enough land and all.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
There are a ton of hidden factors in play, so it's hard to say for sure.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Chaos cultist. I like to think it's always chaos cultists.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
My last Elmali ring member left with the Teller of Lies to become King of Chaos and that's left me very paranoid. It doesn't help that people without heads keep showing up on neighboring clans' tulas.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I kind of wish there was a sort of "debug mode" post-game breakdown cheat so after finishing a game you could look at all the attributes of your nobles and see if they really WERE chaos cultists or whatever.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I kind of wish there was a sort of "debug mode" post-game breakdown cheat so after finishing a game you could look at all the attributes of your nobles and see if they really WERE chaos cultists or whatever.

Man that would so kill the mystery tho! Was the Uraldan i made Queen who didn't think Broos were that big a deal a secret chaos cultist? Did i just doom the pass? Who knows!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The game is giving me a hard time. Combat just feels so random - Sometimes 6 Thanes and 80 fyrdmen can slaughter twice their number. Which happens to my enemies more often than to me.

I also occasionally have trouble harvesting enough food, despite enough land and all.

Too much land makes your farmers sick and tired and that hurts your yield. Unfortunately, land usage is the one place where your ring seems to be completely insane.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Tulip posted:

Too much land makes your farmers sick and tired and that hurts your yield. Unfortunately, land usage is the one place where your ring seems to be completely insane.

That might be a factor. drat, I figured my farmers would just stop at some point instead of working themselves to death.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah. How much land you can handle and what your cows need to graze on seem a bit iffy. It's like you need a renowned or above animal or plants guy to get a remotely accurate estimate.

Also: I thought you could form a tribe as soon as you did the making of the Storm Tribe hero quest? It's been over a year since I completed it and I haven't heard anything about it. I've also honored my main God with his hero quest, so that's not it. It's not because I sent an Elmali (my awesome clan chief with dragon newt armor and renowned leadership) to do it, is it?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah. How much land you can handle and what your cows need to graze on seem a bit iffy. It's like you need a renowned or above animal or plants guy to get a remotely accurate estimate.

Also: I thought you could form a tribe as soon as you did the making of the Storm Tribe hero quest? It's been over a year since I completed it and I haven't heard anything about it. I've also honored my main God with his hero quest, so that's not it. It's not because I sent an Elmali (my awesome clan chief with dragon newt armor and renowned leadership) to do it, is it?

Is your reputation maxed out?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Tulip posted:

You'd think if you had a ton of land and no labor you'd just plant some crops that aren't labor intensive.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

The Sharmat posted:

And then you have to hope they give advice about that specific thing on the food screen. :v:

My rule of thumb with pasture is to have a ton more than recommended, because bad noble estimates combined with natural herd growth means that your cattle can start to overcrowd and starve if you're not careful. It also makes it harder for enemies to sneak up on you since you have more cleared land. The only downside is that it pisses off the elves, but who cares about them?

(On a related note, I wish you could get your warleader to give you estimates of clan strength on demand. I don't want to rely on chance for you to tell me who the weakest nearby clan is, and Lhankor Mhy is too expensive! :argh:)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tulip posted:

Plowsong Vigor is great for fixing this, by the way.

vvvv You are correct! I do mean Vigor.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 5, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Vaga42Bond posted:

Is your reputation maxed out?

I didn't know that was a requirement. I just got an omen for good hero questing and went ahead for the tribe making quest. I hope it lasts. I don't want to have to do it again. My leader is getting old.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ravenfood posted:

Plowsong is great for fixing this, by the way.

I believe you mean Vigor. Plowsong lets your cows work harder, and using Plowsong is always an inferior solution to simply having more cows.

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't know that was a requirement. I just got an omen for good hero questing and went ahead for the tribe making quest. I hope it lasts. I don't want to have to do it again. My leader is getting old.

The blessing for tribemaking lasts until you next attempt to make a tribe. You probably don't want to be the first king anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

And then you have to hope they give advice about that specific thing on the food screen. :v:

I think that you're always guaranteed to have one noble give you advice about it. On the info screens it seems like there's a few bits of information that you'll always be told regardless of who's on your ring. I imagine that who it chooses will be the one that gives you the best information, although if nobody on your ring has decent plants/animals skill then "best" is a relative term.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well getting my reputation maxed worked. Although somehow it's super low on the tribal scale now.

And there's still so much loving chaos. I've had two vampire attacks. I'm actually tempted to do a hero quest for the anti-chaos blessing instead of something more practical. It just keeps happening.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Start sending warparties to explore Snakepipe Hollow, if you've got the warriors. Bonus, you might get an Uroxi. A shrine or a blessing to Urox can't hurt either, and yeah, if you're desperate, Elmal's heroquest should get you sorted.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's normal for your reputation to reset after making a tribe. One of the requirements for the endgame is having a maxxed tribal reputation, and keeping it maxxed would make things too easy. :v:

Vampires may be undead problems instead of chaos(they count as both). You can do a heroquest to Humakt for a rune that warns about high undead levels(which also gives you a chance to do something about it before bad poo poo happens). I don't think there's anything similar for chaos, but picking anti-chaos options in events helps keep it down. You can also explore Snakepipe Hollow to weaken Chaos.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I had no idea Snakepipe Hollow could weaken chaos. But then, I never got the point of it in the first place. The only thing interesting that's ever happened to me with that is encountering some weird guy with a hand for a head.

Does the Stinking Forest have a purpose too?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Sharmat posted:

I had no idea Snakepipe Hollow could weaken chaos. But then, I never got the point of it in the first place. The only thing interesting that's ever happened to me with that is encountering some weird guy with a hand for a head.

Does the Stinking Forest have a purpose too?

Snakepipe Hollow is chaos infested. When you explore it, your explorers will be killing chaos creatures as they go...unless they gently caress it up and get corrupted by Chaos instead. You can explore the Marsh to smash up undead...or rile them up so they decide to take a swing at you. They're both similar to exploring near to home to get rid of bandits In all three cases, your explorer needs to be good at Combat and Magic. On the other hand you miss out on the events that they'd lead up to that way.
Stinking Forest is elf territory, you could get some loot out of it, but it's otherwise remote and not much poo poo being given.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Jenx posted:

I had an Ernalda-worshipper on my ring in my last playthrough and she kept instigating bloodfeuds with neighboring clans until I forced her into retirement. After I told her to knock it off she ran over and executed the chief's sons just for the hell of it.

Also:
:catstare:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well obviously Dangmar knows what the lady mountains like.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
I nearly always try to no avail, but this time! This time I won the lawsuit against that stupid ghost.

Other goals:
* Try to get a non-crappy ending to the weaponthane/outlaw who has a feud with an Uroxi warrior.
* Try to get a non-crappy outcome from the feud between the two women over that stupid horse.
* Get someone to successfully do the Chicken Bride story.

Also, I should petition A# to make it so your trickster's "I will sleep with both of them, and then they will know the meaning of a bad spouse" is an actual option.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

seebs posted:

Also, I should petition A# to make it so your trickster's "I will sleep with both of them, and then they will know the meaning of a bad spouse" is an actual option.

The three Ways of the Orlanthi:
-Violence is always an option
-There is always another way
-Make the Trickster do it.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
I was bummed, got the troll who wants to duel us at a time when I didn't have a trickster.

But I have one now, so I can confidently look forward to my own clan's temples being descecrated and my allies ripped off for hundreds of goods, because HAHA TRICKSTER.

Oddly, despite that, I really like having the trickster around. Keeps things interesting.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, I was referring to some of the myths. When all else fails, you grab the Trickster, threaten to smack him good, and then make him solve the problem.

The problem he caused, admittedly.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
And whaddya know:

Farnan gave us a splended rendition of "Ruthakran and His Chicken Bride," including the best imitation of a squealing hog we'd ever heard.

YAY!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So I started a new game recently and the Colymar showed up demanded tribute during my first year. I talk them down from 16 to 12 cows. Then they show up the next year asking for 24 cows. I don't really want to keep paying this, so, trying to insult them, I offer them ten cows and nine goods if they let me join the tribe. And...they actually accept. Definitely wasn't expecting that. I guess I'll see how being a member of a tribe already works out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Your duty is clear. You must do a speed run wherein you become King of Dragon Pass by 1350.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

seebs posted:

I nearly always try to no avail, but this time! This time I won the lawsuit against that stupid ghost.

Other goals:
* Try to get a non-crappy ending to the weaponthane/outlaw who has a feud with an Uroxi warrior.
* Try to get a non-crappy outcome from the feud between the two women over that stupid horse.
* Get someone to successfully do the Chicken Bride story.

Did you already beat the event where someone's cousin got burned by another dude before moving to dragon pass? I thought it was as hard as the horse story.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

quote:

I had one result where I ordered them to duel. The outlaw killed the Uroxi in the duel and headed west. I got a follow-up event where an upset noblewoman from another tribe showed up and wanted to know where he went. I pointed her in the right direction - nothing else yet, so far, since I haven't played long enough to see how it turns out.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

Did you already beat the event where someone's cousin got burned by another dude before moving to dragon pass? I thought it was as hard as the horse story.

Are you talking about the event where "I was a kid and my father/parents/cousin" was burned by those two people in this clan!" Whereas those people in question were no longer in their original clan thus unsueable in some form? I've beat that event by demanding weregild and I actually got it. It helps when the random clan chosen was an ally of mine.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I had one result where I ordered them to duel. The outlaw killed the Uroxi in the duel and headed west. I got a follow-up event where an upset noblewoman from another tribe showed up and wanted to know where he went. I pointed her in the right direction - nothing else yet, so far, since I haven't played long enough to see how it turns out.

I believe that it ends with that the couple are found dead together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't believe there are still events I haven't seen.

Also I can't remember: After doing seven post-tribe hero quests, do I have to go ahead and do Making of the Storm Tribe, or does the end game just start to proceed on its own?

• Locked thread