Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
It's been a while but now I need some new recommendations. I was recommended a lot of good stuff early in the thread and have found some new ones I like as well that I keep up with every week.

First off, I tried LOTGH and it was not for me. I gave it 10 episodes or so and just couldn't get into it.

I watched both Gundam OO seasons and enjoyed them, definitely one of the better gundam series. Is Unicorn comparable or is it very different?

Still only watched the first Mushi-shi cause the bf wants to watch it as well and he wants it dubbed :/ I really don't like watching dubbed so it's just sat there. Might go back to it at a later point. Chihayafuru I am going back to whenever I'm out of stuff to watch and it's good but I don't get the same vibe as Hikaru no go and prince of tennis gave me. Any other sport/game anime that really pulls you in?

Nichijou was good fun, I'll go back to Azumanga when I run out of other stuff :)

Tried Black lagoon but the only one I could find was badly coded that kept skipping/pixelating so gave that up.

Space Brothers is one of my favorite shows ever, great recommendation. It's lifey enough without too much romance and stuff getting in the way.

Btooom so far is interesting enough. Attack on titan is one of the better action animes I've watched in a long time and the animation is really good. Just started Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and well, yeah it's bizarre but enjoyable. The new Hunter X Hunter is also good though I'm not a huge fan of the current arc, it feels too filler-ish and there's potential plot holes. Hopefully it will get better again.

Stuff I've got but haven't started yet: Stein's Gate, Psycho-pass, Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I guess I'm looking for something like Space brothers (life without too much romance), Attack on titan/HxH (action/fighting with blood and guts flying but no fanservice or very little at least) and sports/game stuff like Prince of tennis/Hikaru no go.

And on the side, I've got a 4,5 year old (he made me put the ,5 in) who also wants something to watch with me but it can't include any or very little violence cause I'm not gonna be up all night cause of bad dreams. It can have some story but not too difficult to follow or he'll lose interest. We tried Pokemon but he didn't really go for it and hamtaro wasn't much good either. I'm pretty sick and tired of dora the explorer so please help me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

OxeHunden posted:

And on the side, I've got a 4,5 year old (he made me put the ,5 in) who also wants something to watch with me but it can't include any or very little violence cause I'm not gonna be up all night cause of bad dreams. It can have some story but not too difficult to follow or he'll lose interest. We tried Pokemon but he didn't really go for it and hamtaro wasn't much good either. I'm pretty sick and tired of dora the explorer so please help me out.
Tsuritama has very mild cartoonish violence, zero sexual content, and language that never goes above 'drat' and 'hell'. Not really anything scary either if I recall, though there are a few sad scenes about the main character's sickly grandmother. I think it'd be hard for a kid that young to follow the plot, nonsensical as it is, but the visuals and music would probably keep him entertained.

Some of Makato Shinkai's work would be fine to have on. "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" has two violent scenes, however, they don't dwell on injury or gore and are pretty discreetly done.

Throwing out the required Ghibli stuff: "My Neighbor Totoro", "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Howl's Moving Castle", "The Secret World of Arrietty", et al.

Wait til the kid is a little older for "Nausicaa", "Castle in the Sky", "Porco Rosso", and especially "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" as those have a lot of frightening, often violent scenes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I felt like watching something, so I considered coming here to ask. This time I paid attention to the title, and began watching Legend of Galactic Heroes several days ago. I'm enjoying it so far, and my concerns about keeping track of all the characters in a story of this size seem like they were unfounded. Thanks, this thread!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

OxeHunden posted:

Stuff I've got but haven't started yet: Stein's Gate, Psycho-pass, Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Get on that right now.

OxeHunden posted:

I haven't watched it, but I hear Princess Tutu is fantastic and highly recommended, and since Konaka had a hand in the writing it probably is.VV Did they not realize they were writing a show for little kids?
I'm not sure about this one but Haibane Renmei might also be a good pick. It's a very simple, very light drama about angel-like beings called the Haibane and the mysteries of the world they live in. There is one main character that smokes a lot, but it fits her persona and character well without making her terrible in any way (she's actually a rather sweet person), so take that into consideration.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 7, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ViggyNash posted:

I haven't watched it, but I hear Princess Tutu is fantastic and highly recommended, and since Konaka had a hand in the writing it probably is.

Princess Tutu is amazing but I wouldn't recommend it as a kid's show at all. It gets very depressing and pretty goddamn dark despite being about an adorable duck-girl who wants to restore emotion to a prince.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Watch One Piece with your kid? Sometimes the answer does not have to be complex.

As for recommendations, I find it odd that you, or anyone ever, would even give BTOOOM a chance, it's really throwing a curveball in what to recommend, especially if you are looking for action with minimal fanservice :psyduck:

Watch the second episode of Mushishi. It should clearly define if you want to watch the rest immediately or keep it on your backlog.

Sports: How about Hajime no Ippo? Boxing or not it's a good show with plenty of episodes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Have any of you actually met/been a 5 year old? Haibane Renmei? Most adults don't have the patience for that.

The obvious thing is Avatar: the Last Airbender and even that might be a bit too complex. I don't have any actual anime recommendations since 99% of what I watch is 'seinen', or at least, I think it is.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Mors Rattus posted:

Princess Tutu is amazing but I wouldn't recommend it as a kid's show at all. It gets very depressing and pretty goddamn dark despite being about an adorable duck-girl who wants to restore emotion to a prince.

Princess Tutu is a great kid's show specifically because it doesn't talk down to it's audience or sugarcoat it's story. Though I'm not sure it wouldn't be too girly for a boy to sit through.

Alternatively, some light comedies like Azumanga Daioh or Squid Girl might be good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Have any of you actually met/been a 5 year old? Haibane Renmei? Most adults don't have the patience for that.

The obvious thing is Avatar: the Last Airbender and even that might be a bit too complex. I don't have any actual anime recommendations since 99% of what I watch is 'seinen', or at least, I think it is.

Hey, they don't always have to know what's going on to enjoy it. It's a beautiful show with beautiful music.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is also a really good recommendation, so I'll second it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OxeHunden posted:

I watched both Gundam OO seasons and enjoyed them, definitely one of the better gundam series. Is Unicorn comparable or is it very different?

Unicorn's pretty good. It has high production values and while the UC connections do come up from time to time, I think the story manages to mostly standalone (though the final episode hasn't come out yet so I could wind up eating my words).

Though IMO, 08th MS Team might be a better choice if you're unfamiliar with the Universal Century canon. You don't need to know anything and outside of the last episode (which doesn't even need to exist) it's rather enjoyable.

OxeHunden posted:

Yamato 2199 rules. It does a fine job at remaking the original series for a modern audience. The story might not seem all that special nowadays since so many shows were influenced by the original, but regardless it's a show with a solid cast and nice animation. It's not mind blowing but it's executed very well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've seen lots of mentioning of Chihayafuru as one of the best shows of the last few seasons. I've also been told "the sports anime aspect takes a backseat a lot of the time" which, after five episodes, does not seem to be the case. I like a lot about it and the underlying stuff, but I couldn't care even a tiny bit about the Karuta stuff and I find it as a game utterly baffling. Does it continues on like these first five episodes throughout? If so, I might watch more, but it definitely doesn't dazzle like some people have implied.

I do like how utterly unflattering Chiharu is a lot, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really didn't like the first few episodes of Chihayafuru because of the focus on their history in primary school or whatever. I started to like it more as the season progressed. I still don't totally understand karuta as a game, but I understand it how it fits into the characterisation and narrative well enough to enjoy the actual matches. The personal stakes are raised each game. It's an absurd set up (not as absurd as giant robots, though) that imparts a unique flavour to the whole anime.

One of the things I really like about it is the deemphasis of romance. For once it doesn't seem to be the end goal for every character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

I've seen lots of mentioning of Chihayafuru as one of the best shows of the last few seasons. I've also been told "the sports anime aspect takes a backseat a lot of the time" which, after five episodes, does not seem to be the case. I like a lot about it and the underlying stuff, but I couldn't care even a tiny bit about the Karuta stuff and I find it as a game utterly baffling. Does it continues on like these first five episodes throughout? If so, I might watch more, but it definitely doesn't dazzle like some people have implied.

I would say it's a sports anime through and through, and thus the main story is always going to be about their karuta playing. The difference between it and other sports anime is that because it's actually a josei series, the characterization and humor for everything inbetween is incredibly strong. But I also want to say that the karuta matches can get really exciting! The main characters are not always a lock to win.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, I'll stick with it. I think having the first clump of episodes(or at least, more than one or two) be entirely flashbacks was a huge mistake and nearly turned me off of it, but this sixth episode was pretty drat good and interesting. I'll see where it goes, maybe it's like Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer in that the first chunk isn't nearly up to the praise that people heap upon it, but it gets exponentially better as the series progresses. Thanks for the quick replies. :)

edit: This poo poo is fuckin' anime-rear end anime.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 8, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

You don't really have to understand Karuta to watch the show. In fact, the show does a good job of teaching as you go; not only teaching the basics, but in depth, advanced strategy in very simple, intuitive, and entertaining ways. Honestly, the Karuta matches are the best parts of the series. The series really picks up after the flashback segment at the beginning.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, I'll stick with it. I think having the first clump of episodes(or at least, more than one or two) be entirely flashbacks was a huge mistake and nearly turned me off of it, but this sixth episode was pretty drat good and interesting. I'll see where it goes, maybe it's like Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer in that the first chunk isn't nearly up to the praise that people heap upon it, but it gets exponentially better as the series progresses. Thanks for the quick replies. :)
I think its just the first four episodes that are made up primarily of flashbacks. I found something very funny out about the show a few weeks ago. Apparently one of the storyboard artists is none other than Yoshiaki Kawajiri, the director of "Ninja Scroll" and "Wicked City". I like to think he's started hanging around the Madhouse offices going, "Hey guys, I know its not the 90s anymore, but you got some stuff I can work on?"

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Robert Denby posted:

I think its just the first four episodes that are made up primarily of flashbacks. I found something very funny out about the show a few weeks ago. Apparently one of the storyboard artists is none other than Yoshiaki Kawajiri, the director of "Ninja Scroll" and "Wicked City". I like to think he's started hanging around the Madhouse offices going, "Hey guys, I know its not the 90s anymore, but you got some stuff I can work on?"

They should tell him to get his rear end back to work on Ninja Scroll 2 :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Karuta is a really bizarre and dorky game, and what makes Chihayafuru so great is that they completely recognize that and write it into the the story. You're supposed to laugh at how serious and cliche it gets, and I love that the more pathetic and awful a character is the better they are at Karuta. Whoever told you it wasn't a sports show was wrong, but it actually is the best sports show because it uses the tropes of those stories to do some really surprising and fun to watch things.

The show reminds me a lot of Yakitate! Japan, a shonen show about baking bread that is more obviously going for laughs, but is actually extremely successful at making you care about the Iron Chef style showdowns that frame the show. The thing is, food is actually kind of cool and interesting, so Yakitate! works for its laughs through some really great, over-the-top characters. All Chihayafuru needs to do is have their well rounded and likable cast play Karuta, because Karuta is loving hilarious.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They should get him to storyboard a spinoff where Arata's a world weary cop who uses karuta cards to decapitate monsters in
Neo Neo Tokyo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

They should tell him to get his rear end back to work on Ninja Scroll 2 :colbert:

He tried! He even put out a teaser for it! But he just can't get funding because hey it's not the 90s anymore :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not sure about this one but Haibane Renmei might also be a good pick. It's a very simple, very light drama about angel-like beings called the Haibane and the mysteries of the world they live in. There is one main character that smokes a lot, but it fits her persona and character well without making her terrible in any way (she's actually a rather sweet person), so take that into consideration.

I really don't think Haibane Renmei's a good fit for little kids. It's very slow-paced, and dialogue-heavy with topics that'd probably go over a little kid's head. Not to mention it has a scene of Rakka's wings tearing out of her back in the first episode.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Haibane Renmei's a hilariously terrible recommendation. It is a great anime; what is great about it has absolutely nothing to do with children entertaining, fascinating, or applying to children in basically any way, aside from being animated. A mellow pre-teen or teen I could see, but certainly not a child-child.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Devil Tesla posted:

Karuta is a really bizarre and dorky game, and what makes Chihayafuru so great is that they completely recognize that and write it into the the story. You're supposed to laugh at how serious and cliche it gets, and I love that the more pathetic and awful a character is the better they are at Karuta. Whoever told you it wasn't a sports show was wrong, but it actually is the best sports show because it uses the tropes of those stories to do some really surprising and fun to watch things.
I've watched 9 episodes and realized I've never actually watched a "sports anime" before, I don't think. I know it's supposed to be ridiculously corny and hammy on purpose(hell, the soundtrack sounds like it's from Jurassic fuckin' Park) but, and perhaps this is because I've never seen a sports anime before, I just don't like it. The production values are nice, the "action" is nice, I get that this weird card game is for dorks(when he was describing the rules in episode 7 or 8 it reminded me sorta like people describing Magic the Gathering rule minutiae) but I feel like I got trolled by the dude saying it wasn't entirely about karuta, because it is entirely about karuta, and my eyes glaze over whenever those cards are onscreen. I'll probably give it one more episode and then drop it.

I guess when people told me it was good, they should have specified that it was "good".

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's good, you just don't like it. I don't see what is difficult about that. It's okay to not like good things. It's not objectively transcendent or anything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chihayafuru isn't "good", it's just flat out good. The Karuta matches are legitimately exciting, in my opinion.

If you're not enjoying them, you really shouldn't be watching. (Not that that's a bad thing or anything, people are free to like whatever they want.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, it certainly sounds like you will be able to completely change your mind after one more episode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're right, I guess it's just not for me. A shame, I do like aspects of it, but not enough to keep me going. Oh well!

I just really don't like starting things without finishing them, and was hoping it was like the aforementioned Biscuit Hammer; where it wasn't outstanding right out the gate but got much better a decent ways through. It sounds like that won't be the case if I don't like the karuta stuff.

edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVV
Yeah, that sounds about right. Yanno what, I'll just give it another shot later on, when my expectations are more adjusted and not based on wrong stuff my friend told me to get me to watch it. I really hate not finishing stuff I start since it tends to sit in the back of my mind, and I feel like this show has enough good qualities that it'd be passable at minimum, since as I said I do like a good number of aspects about it. I probably sounded mad or whatever before, mostly because of that wrongful expectation issue combined with really disliking the flashback at the beginning, and I think once I've forgotten about that, I can return to it without that hovering in the background as I watch it and allow myself to get into the show more.

I know, I know, I'm just super stubborn about finishing what I start. :shobon:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 8, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like I got trolled by the dude saying it wasn't entirely about karuta

Nah, it's just that people who like something a lot are often bad at describing them. It's like people who say Attack on Titan isn't a shounen manga but actually an always-subversive super-dark unpredictable masterpiece, or that Madoka isn't a magical girl show but a super deep deconstruction of the genre. Or anyone who's ever used the word deconstruction.

Chihayafuru is all about karuta, but it's also about what it's like being on a team or just trying to be good at something in general. It's why there's a lot of people who couldn't give a rats rear end about the game who really like the show. These people don't include you, of course.

rvm
May 6, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Nah, it's just that people who like something a lot are often bad at describing them. It's like people who say Attack on Titan isn't a shounen manga but actually an always-subversive super-dark unpredictable masterpiece, or that Madoka isn't a magical girl show but a super deep deconstruction of the genre. Or anyone who's ever used the word deconstruction.

Chihayafuru is all about karuta, but it's also about what it's like being on a team or just trying to be good at something in general. It's why there's a lot of people who couldn't give a rats rear end about the game who really like the show. These people don't include you, of course.

The problem with describing Madoka Magica as magical girl show is that people associate the genre either with glorified toy commercial for 4-12 old girls or horrible pedobait, plus it does actually subvert one of the key aspect of magical girls formula.

Recommending Attack On Titan as shounen is also problematic because most people think of shounen as Shounen Jump stuff like One Piece or Naruto which it's pretty far from, even though it's clearly written with young adult male audience in mind.

But as for Chihayafuru, it is sports manga first and foremost with most of sports anime tropes played pretty much straight especially compared it to stuff like Major, Giant Killing or One Outs which actually deviate from the formula.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This is going to be a wrong post to post here but I dont know what else to do. I watch shows with my young cousin. He's been trying to describe a show to me so that I can download it, he only saw like a handful of episodes on the old tube, but besides knowing it's an anime, I've got some non-googleable factoids about it. I dont know anything about anime beside Akira and Dragon Ball Z from my childhood. Here's what I know about this show so far based on his descriptions:

- The protagonists are a young girl and a robot friend
- The leader of their country has a magic eye
- Their adventure is to find new bodies to steal (maybe a bit dark)
- Greed and lust are chasing them (metaphorical? I dont know, could be character names)

I know this is poo poo but something isn't right with that boy and he can't really give me anything else that makes sense. I dont know if this is popular enough or even good enough for you guys to help me. Also, if you can tell me if it's cool for a 8 year old to watch. Tits and dicks are fine, just no loving or actual sex acts.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's sounds like Fullmetal Alchemist, just with a couple of fudged details.

Fullmetal Alchemist is complicated, because it's got two animes. The original diverges from the manga it's based on and is darker, while Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is based entirely on the manga. Brotherhood is probably more appropriate, and most people agree it's better anyway, so just go with that. It's got some violence, but nothing too bad, and nothing really sexual.

I have no idea which one of the two he watched originally based on your descriptions

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

WYA posted:

This is going to be a wrong post to post here but I dont know what else to do. I watch shows with my young cousin. He's been trying to describe a show to me so that I can download it, he only saw like a handful of episodes on the old tube, but besides knowing it's an anime, I've got some non-googleable factoids about it. I dont know anything about anime beside Akira and Dragon Ball Z from my childhood. Here's what I know about this show so far based on his descriptions:

- The protagonists are a young girl and a robot friend
- The leader of their country has a magic eye
- Their adventure is to find new bodies to steal (maybe a bit dark)
- Greed and lust are chasing them (metaphorical? I dont know, could be character names)

I know this is poo poo but something isn't right with that boy and he can't really give me anything else that makes sense. I dont know if this is popular enough or even good enough for you guys to help me. Also, if you can tell me if it's cool for a 8 year old to watch. Tits and dicks are fine, just no loving or actual sex acts.

I think he's talking about Fullmetal Alchemist, although he's gotten a couple details hilariously wrong (the main character is male, for one thing). It's actually two separate shows; the remake, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, is based more closely on the manga. There isn't really any sexual content, but both versions are pretty violent and thematically dark; I wouldn't show it to an 8-year-old.

Edit: I beg to differ about Brotherhood being better; it has some serious issues with pacing and tone.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Silver2195 posted:

I think he's talking about Fullmetal Alchemist, although he's gotten a couple details hilariously wrong (the main character is male, for one thing). It's actually two separate shows; the remake, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, is based more closely on the manga. There isn't really any sexual content, but both versions are pretty violent and thematically dark; I wouldn't show it to an 8-year-old.

Edit: I beg to differ about Brotherhood being better; it has some serious issues with pacing and tone.

My uncle watched Funny Games with him so I can't see it being worse. Thanks though

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It's possible he thought the main character was a girl from his short height and long blonde hair, and the suit of armor (younger brother) is voiced by a woman.

Original and Brotherhood are different enough to give both a watch, especially since watching the :wtc: movie is all part of the FMA experience, but if you had to choose just one then yea go with Brotherhood.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Or it could have been winry. But yeah that's pretty good retention for a dang 8 year old in any case. Def one of the fmas.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Robert Denby posted:

I love Chihayafuru as much as most of the posters here, but I should probably say that I didn't love the first handful of episodes. A series of flashbacks that probably didn't even need to be there was a terrible way to start the show, and from there it was a few episodes before it got into what the show is actually about. It didn't help that (in my opinion) the side characters took a long time to develop.

Whoever said that karuta (the sport) takes a backseat is very, very wrong. It's a real stretch, but if you continue through episode 10-11 I think that's the point where you will know if you want to watch this show or not. Either way, you'll enjoy some excellent animation and music and you'll probably be at least entertained by it.

edit: no I'm not going to further justify why the first three episodes of a show shouldn't be a flashback sequence that isn't indicative of the show itself sorry

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 9, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

I love Chihayafuru as much as most of the posters here, but I should probably say that I didn't love the first handful of episodes. A series of flashbacks that probably didn't even need to be there was a terrible way to start the show, and from there it was a few episodes before it got into what the show is actually about. It didn't help that (in my opinion) the side characters took a long time to develop.

Whoever said that karuta (the sport) takes a backseat is very, very wrong. It's a real stretch, but if you continue through episode 10-11 I think that's the point where you will know if you want to watch this show or not. Either way, you'll enjoy some excellent animation and music and you'll probably be at least entertained by it.

Boring as the flashback section was, it gets referred to A LOT throughout the show. The scene where little Arata plays little Chihaya in her first ever game of Karuta is a very important scene in the narrative, and it also helps set the stage for the entire rest of the show. The flashback might be boring, but it's a necessary segment.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It would have been a lot more elegant if they'd interspersed the flashbacks with the present action a bit more thinly in the initial episodes. I agree that their formative experiences are important in the greater narrative, but I put the show off for months after watching the first 4-5 episodes and getting sick of seeing the brats and hearing their squeaky voices (aside from Arata - I always liked Arata, maybe because he's the first anime character where I've been able to distinguish a different accent).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

I think a good way to explain that sorta thing is that a lot of good sports anime use the sport in question as a means of showing you how it shapes and develops the characters. And Chihayafuru is no different. Chihayafuru could apply the same methodology to baseball or soccer or underwater basket weaving and I'd still love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

It would have been a lot more elegant if they'd interspersed the flashbacks with the present action a bit more thinly in the initial episodes. I agree that their formative experiences are important in the greater narrative, but I put the show off for months after watching the first 4-5 episodes and getting sick of seeing the brats and hearing their squeaky voices (aside from Arata - I always liked Arata, maybe because he's the first anime character where I've been able to distinguish a different accent).

Reading this, it does seem like the flashback could have been better handled that way. It would have been really interesting if the episode where Chihaya calls Arata for the first time in forever came right after that pivotal scene where she plays Karuta with him for the first time. That juxtaposition would have made the moment even more powerful.

• Locked thread