Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gatts posted:

Ang Lee did a better job than both. He nicely combined comic stuff with film and went further.

I suppose I should really credit the design and effects peeps because they're the MVP with a lot of the grunt work.

The Hulk is the only Marvel movie I think is worth watching repeatedly. Love that movie.

Best scene in the Avengers is when Thor shows up. He rips Loki out of the helicarrier and tosses him straight in to a page right out of a comic book, with Odin's birds and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Albeit extreme, it's far better than letting Singer, Snyder, Raimi or Ratner craft the story, don't you think?

Uh, no? All of those guys, and yes, I am including Brett loving Rattner, would be better for Superman than Frank "Holy Terror" Miller.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
New Thor Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvJ9FTgZbM

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Color me jazzed. Very interested in Loki's arc in this.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Uh, no? All of those guys, and yes, I am including Brett loving Rattner, would be better for Superman than Frank "Holy Terror" Miller.

Maybe in the next movie Superman and Batman can tackle the REAL threat. Mulisms

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I've been interested since they put Alan Taylor as the director, and I can definitely see his style in that trailer. I really like some of the shots and the way they're composed; I'm cautiously excited.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Darko posted:

- The best comic writers like Neil Gaiman, are primarily writers in other media (ie. he's more of a novelist than anything). Even Whedon (blargh) is primarily a screenwriter.

- The other "best" primarily comic writers that are great like Alan Moore and Grant Morrison have (a) never really proven they can write outside of that medium to the same level, and (b) are utterly insane to the point of probably being unable to write to a wide filmic audience (in that they need a medium with narration and thought bubbles to tell their stories)

- When primary comic writers branch into film, their efforts are sophomoric and not to the level of a mid-level screenwriter, or any of the people listed (ie. Snyder, Singer). See anything Frank Miller has ever written. When primary comic writers write television, which is comparable, their efforts are normally worse than the other episodes written by the workmen television writers, and hugely buttoned up by other writers.

We'll see what Hickman and Fraction do with next season of Davinci's Demons, but right now, the track record is terrible for comic writers being able to write outside of their medium, whereas the reverse is not the case to nearly the same level.

edited for clarity.
Frank Miller is debatably a crappy writer sophomoric writer in the medium that he works in so I'm not entirely sure why you used him as an example. In fact I remember Rusty the Boy Robot cartoon being a complete and utter mockery of the comic to the point where it was incredibly fun.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 7, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

I've been interested since they put Alan Taylor as the director, and I can definitely see his style in that trailer. I really like some of the shots and the way they're composed; I'm cautiously excited.

I'm also cautiously excited. They let Shane Black have more free reign over Iron Man 3 and it was better for it. Thor looks good visually so I'm also hoping they allow for more leeway.

EDIT: I am sad however that it is THE DARK WORLD WHERE THINGS ARE DARK AND BLEAK AND SUPAR SERIOUS. I kind of preferred the lighthearted approach.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 7, 2013

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I didn't care much for the first trailer they put out. This one, however, makes the movie look great. Thor is still my favorite of the standalone, pre-Avengers Marvel films, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gatts posted:

EDIT: I am sad however that it is THE DARK WORLD WHERE THINGS ARE DARK AND BLEAK AND SUPAR SERIOUS. I kind of preferred the lighthearted approach.

Yeah, my favorite part of the first one (really, one of the only things I liked about it) was how colorful and eye-popping the Asgard scenes were. This one looks really drab and grey by comparison.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

It still looks fairly lighthearted, probably less than the original but it's kind of hard to top "son of Coul".

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah, my favorite part of the first one (really, one of the only things I liked about it) was how colorful and eye-popping the Asgard scenes were. This one looks really drab and grey by comparison.

A lot of the shots in the trailer seem to take place in the Asgardian jail, London, and the titular dark world of the dark elves. It doesn't seem too far fetched that those would look different than pretty pretty Asgard. The worst we'll get is a great looking movie that's otherwise pretty okay. I'm excited because it looks like everyone else will get a bit more time to shine.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
That trailer took me from "cautiously optimistic" to "beyond stoked." The visual style does seem demonstrably different, but I kind of dig it. It's decidedly less Kirby, though. I almost feel like they took a cue from the pallette/feel of Game of Thrones a little bit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fishylungs posted:

A lot of the shots in the trailer seem to take place in the Asgardian jail, London, and the titular dark world of the dark elves. It doesn't seem too far fetched that those would look different than pretty pretty Asgard.

Just because you can come up with a reason that it's supposed to look dull as dishwater does not mean it doesn't look dull as dishwater.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crunk Abortion posted:

That trailer took me from "cautiously optimistic" to "beyond stoked." The visual style does seem demonstrably different, but I kind of dig it. It's decidedly less Kirby, though. I almost feel like they took a cue from the pallette/feel of Game of Thrones a little bit.

Alan Taylor was working on Game of Thrones when he got the job, I'm pretty sure.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
That trailer for Thor 2 was pretty stupid. It didn't even introduce the villain or give us a sense of the plot at all. Loki is becoming pretty stale too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Devour posted:

That trailer for Thor 2 was pretty stupid. It didn't even introduce the villain or give us a sense of the plot at all. Loki is becoming pretty stale too.

It looks nice, aesthetically. But yeah, the trailer seemed like it wanted to showcase Oscar winner Natalie Portman who unfortunately looks bored out of her loving mind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Devour posted:

There's a dark world, it's encroaching on other worlds including ours. Thor pulls Jane and Loki out of their places to deal with it. Seems straightforward enough to me. I think going into any details about dark elves or inter-world politics is only going to hurt the pitch, not help.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Devour posted:

Evil dudes attack Earth and (presumably) Asgard so Thor enlists the only guy who's dealt with the evil dudes before.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like them to have Edgar Wright direct the last Thor, involve Simon Pegg and Nick Frost somehow, and it essentially is a fun lighthearted adventure like out of Indy Jones where the climax is decided by a beer drinking contest like out of Beerfest. We will have a scene where Odin attempts to out drink a giant purple and blue armored man named Galactus. Thor vs Surfer involving das boot. Throw in some Celestials as the baddies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Thor character is boring and the actor is boring. Stop making Thor or Captain America movies. Or at least make them be funnier.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 7, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh thanks for clearing that up we were confused.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Should've just made the plot revolve around Beta Ray Bill

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sockser posted:

Should've just made the plot revolve around Beta Ray Bill

I would love a third one set in space dealing with Celestials, Eternity, and the high level cosmic stuff Thor can hang about with. A real Kirby-esque space age Thor adventure with Beta Rey Bill.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gatts posted:

I would love a third one set in space dealing with Celestials, Eternity, and the high level cosmic stuff Thor can hang about with. A real Kirby-esque space age Thor adventure with Beta Rey Bill.

I really, really hope this happens now and will blame you for my disappointment when it does not happen.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I guess I'm weird because I'd rather see them deal with trolls and dwarves. :shobon: I think the dark elves are shaping up to be neat from what we've seen (which is little, but I think works for the idea of "an evil none of us ever really have seen before").

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Just because you can come up with a reason that it's supposed to look dull as dishwater does not mean it doesn't look dull as dishwater.

"Drab and grey" and "dull as dishwater" sort of have different connotations for me. I don't think it looks dull, muted yes, but not dull.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wish the film didn't have Natalie Portman in it, honestly. Maybe they should've made Kat Dennings the love interest if they really needed one at all, she was a lot less dull than Portman was.

Also, I hope the film is just about Asgard. I understand that 'Space Viking Gods' is a hard pitch to sell to an audience and I appreciate that they gave it their best shot in the first film, but I felt like they could've used more fleshing out in Thor, and the sequel is a great opportunity to do that. The trailer shows the Dark Elves attacking Earth though, so I'm not really getting my hopes up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I wish the film didn't have Natalie Portman in it, honestly. Maybe they should've made Kat Dennings the love interest if they really needed one at all, she was a lot less dull than Portman was.

I found her tremendously dull and a big reason I didn't like Thor was because a large chunk of the screen time is dedicated to her and Thor's relationship. That and Dutch Angles where no dutch angle was called for.

quote:

Also, I hope the film is just about Asgard. I understand that 'Space Viking Gods' is a hard pitch to sell to an audience and I appreciate that they gave it their best shot in the first film, but I felt like they could've used more fleshing out in Thor, and the sequel is a great opportunity to do that. The trailer shows the Dark Elves attacking Earth though, so I'm not really getting my hopes up.

The trailer at least shows lots of other places and fighting in Asgard so hopefully the Human world portion is used as less of a central combat zone and more of a "thes are the stakes" plot motivation/heroic victory timer.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's a good thing all these universal evils didn't attack Earth until 2011 when we've had a chance to get our technology and superhero rosters up to speed. If they had attacked anytime in the last 5,000 years, or even in the last century without Cap America, they would've had a much easier time.

Ever since Tony unveiled his iron suit, there's been a global crisis every 6 months. I don't like the correlations here...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electromax posted:

It's a good thing all these universal evils didn't attack Earth until 2011 when we've had a chance to get our technology and superhero rosters up to speed. If they had attacked anytime in the last 5,000 years, or even in the last century without Cap America, they would've had a much easier time.

Ever since Tony unveiled his iron suit, there's been a global crisis every 6 months. I don't like the correlations here...

Don't blame the heroes blame capitalism. By creating heroes more able to stop criminals in all forms the value and qaulity of life on earth skyrocketed. This, in turn, attracts more powerful and better connected villains who now find it profitable to attack earth. In response to new business pressure you leverage assets and merge with similar portfolio individuals to repel foreign businessess invaders and thus the Avengers are born.

Edit: Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be a 90 minute Latin American intervention strategy justification on the big screen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Electromax posted:

Thor was the catalyst that brought the Earth to the cosmic stage.

He ended up on Earth, him and Loki got into it. Loki wants to destroy the planet that Thor wants to protect. So he attacked Earth, oh and the Cosmic Cube.

Ironman is all about the Starks personal failures, Nothing universally evil.

Cap is in the Past, Cap 2 isn't anything spectacular and seems to be grounded.

Hulk, well. Banner was recently powered up in this universe.

Thor is really the only character who brings the oh poo poo the planet is hosed threats to Earth. Everyone in the other movies is just going to take over countries or something like that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Maybe the horrors of the cosmos were getting their technology up to speed all this time too. Until now the Chitauri were using steam engines!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Electromax posted:

I forget where exactly it occurred, but early on in Ultimate Fantastic Four there was an attempt to explain that. Basically it was a probability curve that stated that once the first extremely improbable metahuman event occurred, the probability of the next one occurring became much more likely, leading to the snowball effect where suddenly there's earth-shattering poo poo on every street corner every other day.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It would be cool to have a History of the Marvel Universe movie something like Hickman was working on with his SHIELD series. Like either a mini series or anthology or an epic movie spanning eras drawing inspiration from Cloud Atlas. Stuff like Apocalypse teaming up with human heroes of his era, perhaps Wakandans, Moon Knight, and the Sorceror Supreme of that time (not human) to repel invasion from another dimension or even a scene where Galileo whips out the device he created to repel Galactus.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

This isn't the case at all in the comics, I think De Vinchi fought off Galactus once or something. In the movies, though, it's mentioned in Thor that the Asgardians have been doing that poo poo for a long time and protecting Midgard from the Frost Giants.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wow

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

I feel like I've seen more people spell things phonetically lately, and it's been hilarious.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Colonel Whitey posted:

I feel like I've seen more people spell things phonetically lately, and it's been hilarious.

Wallah! The gratest artist of are time!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is the future of our written language. Thanks a lot internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

For example, forg zample.

Yes, this was an actual thing someone in CineD actually saw.

• Locked thread