Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"Wow! This Canucks fan just GETS it!

Wait till you hear this MOM and CANUCK FAN tell it like it is!

This is the wake-up call all those Maple Leafs fans NEED! And it's written by a LAW STUDENT!

gently caress the Red Wings!"

And instead of rantings by Bill Cosby, we'd get rantings from Don Cherry instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Handsome Ralph posted:

And instead of rantings by Bill Cosby, we'd get rantings from Don Cherry instead.
Ends with "God bless Gretzky!"*

*note that this forces Gretzky to bless himself which is kind of awkward...

EDIT: "Gretzky bless Canada!"

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been repackaged and attributed to some celebrity yet.

Reminds me of Ben Bella. Dunno the exact quote, but when asked why they fight in cafes, in ambushes, bombs, etc, he responded "give us the planes, automatic weapons, tanks, etc and we will fight the war how you want".

Or cue Colonial English soldier whining about how American rebels don't fight in lined formation.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I don't see how removing firearms from people who are at a higher risk of harming themselves or others is an arbitrary roadblock. What other hurdles are next - therapy? Medication? Inpatient treatment? Where will it end??????

These are people who legitimately believe that the government is conspiring to take away their guns so that they'll be unable to resist the imposition of some even more dramatic tyranny. It's a relatively small leap from there to assuming that the government conspiracy also has the power to arbitrarily declare someone mentally ill (remember that academia is liberal, so they will follow along with the conspiracy!). So if mental illness removes your right to own guns, then the government will simply have the DSM edited to declare conservatism a mental illness and then it's Game Over. They are already doing this by inventing the fake illness of PTSD to steal guns from our heroic, conservative Veterans!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think they're calling PTSD as made up, right wingers tend to take mental illness of soldiers very seriously (although they are really bad at understanding what should be done to actually help them).

It's just that there have been autocratic governments that label dissenters as mentally ill in order to justify sending them away where they can't cause trouble. This is a real thing, just not a thing that's happening to this group (though they want to believe it).

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

quote:

WAL-MART VS. THE MORONS (NOT A JOKE)

I know lots of folks don't like Wal-Mart, but this is fascinating.

This is spot-on.

PLEASE, READ THIS TO THE END. IT IS VERY INTERESTING!!!

Wal-Mart vs. The Morons

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March
17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco

K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private
employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and
keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought
bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are
Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur
at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.
You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground
work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart
to fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans… Democrats,
Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature,
it is now official that the majority of you are corrupt morons:

a. The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775. You have had 234
years to get it right and it is broke.

b. Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to
get it right and it is broke.

c. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get
it right and it is broke.

d. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it
right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to
"the poor" and they only want more.

e. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 44
years to get it right and they are broke.

f. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get

g. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our
dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of
$24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 32 years to get
it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our
throats while overspending our tax dollars.

AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED
WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

Folks, keep this circulating. It is very well stated. Maybe it will end
up in the e-mails of some of our "duly elected' (they never read anything)
and their staff will clue them in on how Americans feel.

AND

I know what's wrong. We have lost our minds to "Political Correctness"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please tell me what is wrong with all the people that
run this country!!!!!!

We're "broke" and can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless
etc. and the last months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile, and Turkey and now
Pakistan ( the previous home of bin Laden). literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!

Our retired seniors living on a 'fixed income' receive no aid nor do
they get any breaks.

AMERICA: a country where we have homeless without shelter, children
going to bed hungry, elderly going without needed medicines, and mentally ill
without treatment, etc.

Imagine if the GOVERNMENT gave U. S. the same support they give to
other countries. Sad isn't it?

*99% of the people receiving this message won't have the guts to forward this.

*I'm one of the 1% -- I Just Did
BEING UNITED SAVES AMERICA!

This showed up on my facebook from someone I consider a friend, and it made me so mad I can't even coherently respond to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Iunnrais posted:

This showed up on my facebook from someone I consider a friend, and it made me so mad I can't even coherently respond to it.

I got this one, and I can help you out with it! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=570&perpage=40#post413047142

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wal-Mart passes on a rather significant portion of what would have otherwise been employee costs to the taxpayer due to social assistance programs. We're effectively subsidizing Wal-Mart's business.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Iunnrais posted:

The United States of America was established in 1776. You've had 237 years to get it right and it is broke!

Shut it down boys, this failed experiment is over!

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

Wal-Mart is awesome and government services are total poo poo and we're broke but we need government services to help the poor and elderly and the vets and oh god POLITICAL CORRECTNESS and we're giving money to foreign countries isn't Wal-Mart awesome because they speak English? Why won't someone think about the orphans?

Jesus Christ this is like a a fist full of chewed up FWD:s that's been thrown up and stirred around.

Halt!
Oct 11, 2008

I just saw the AMEN GOD BLESS CANADA AND AMERICA letter pop up on my Facebook feed. Everything about it is just so :psyduck:

The guy that shared it also continually posts about his not-so-casual racism and homophobia so I can't particularly say I'm surprised.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

quote:

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature,
it is now official that the majority of you are corrupt morons:

I like the 'it is now official' part. It's like those guys who tried to impeach Obama with a Super American Grand Jury. Real legit morons.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Just like the addition of intros, that part of the Walmart email after the AND was clearly added later. Not that it would be a "good" email without that part.

And the post office isn't even taxpayer funded. And wouldn't be (that) broke without Congress meddling.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

Is there a specific fallacy that covers "They did thing X, so I am completely justified in doing (unrelated/irrelevant/significantly worse) thing Y"?
"Tu qouque" is the one. Literally meaning "you too". :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

myron cope posted:

Just like the addition of intros, that part of the Walmart email after the AND was clearly added later. Not that it would be a "good" email without that part.

And the post office isn't even taxpayer funded. And wouldn't be (that) broke without Congress meddling.

XyloJW counted 8 distinct endings when I posted it. :v:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

The most effective response I've seenis to suggest that if they want to vote for someone who is involved in Walmart's stunning successthey can probably vote for Hillary Clinton, former member of their Boad of Directors.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Iunnrais posted:

You should congratulate your friend for the "guts" he showed by posting something on facebook.

Also one or both of these:

Knight posted:

The United States of America was established in 1776. You've had 237 years to get it right and it is broke!

Shut it down boys, this failed experiment is over!

Soviet Commubot posted:

The most effective response I've seenis to suggest that if they want to vote for someone who is involved in Walmart's stunning successthey can probably vote for Hillary Clinton, former member of their Boad of Directors.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Iunnrais posted:

c. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get

f. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get

Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are bringing in record amounts of money.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/09/news/economy/fannie-mae-freddie-mac/index.html

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Are people really forwarding/Facebook posting that email without even updating the year counts?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

myron cope posted:

The Post Office thing is the weirdest. How did that pension funding disaster even get justified?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Holy poo poo, so this just got posted by a conservative acquaintance on my Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-s0LL_1Vk0

1) The kings tax the rich, which makes the rich poor and the poor poorer (??) and the king (I assume Obama???????? maybe SOROS?) get richer
2) The constitution establishes a free-market system because the Founders know the best way to life up the downtrodden African American community is strong competition
3) The real problem is that Conservatives have been too meek and quiet about these issues
4) Black people are actually Republicans because republicans want the LOWER TAXES, which will make better families, better schools, and gun ownership
5) Democrats are dumb and liberals are idiots

I don't even know.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Laminator posted:

Holy poo poo, so this just got posted by a conservative acquaintance on my Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-s0LL_1Vk0

1) The kings tax the rich, which makes the rich poor and the poor poorer (??) and the king (I assume Obama???????? maybe SOROS?) get richer
2) The constitution establishes a free-market system because the Founders know the best way to life up the downtrodden African American community is strong competition
3) The real problem is that Conservatives have been too meek and quiet about these issues
4) Black people are actually Republicans because republicans want the LOWER TAXES, which will make better families, better schools, and gun ownership
5) Democrats are dumb and liberals are idiots

I don't even know.

You forgot
6) Elbert Guillory looks sharp as hell. :drat:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm probably not going to watch that video but the idea of a "Free at Last PAC" advocating for conservative economic issues is making Martin Luther King Jr's grave spin so fast we could solve world energy problems with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Democrats being the party of Jim Crow must explain why he switched from R to D so that he could run in a heavily democratic district for his first state office run!

It's increasingly difficult to listen to anyone espousing conservative ideology and not try to identify if they're the salesman or the sucker.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 8, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Post Office thing is the weirdest. How did that pension funding disaster even get justified?

Government + unions = inevitable failure

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"Is this the plan that God had in mind for us when he delivered us from slavery?"

Yep, it was sure God that delivered black people from slavery, and not a giant civil war, the battle lines of which just so happen to mirror American political differences to this day.

I also love the clearly white woman's voice doing the voiceover asking you to join the cause at the end. It's like they could find a grand total of one black person to head up their PAC and couldn't even be bothered to find a second one to do the voiceover at the end.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

vyelkin posted:

"Is this the plan that God had in mind for us when he delivered us from slavery?"

Yep, it was sure God that delivered black people from slavery, and not a giant civil war, the battle lines of which just so happen to mirror American political differences to this day.

I also love the clearly white woman's voice doing the voiceover asking you to join the cause at the end. It's like they could find a grand total of one black person to head up their PAC and couldn't even be bothered to find a second one to do the voiceover at the end.

Not so sure you want to be calling other people racist while assuming a person's race based on nothing but the sound of their voice.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Any truth to this or is this more No you are the racist for pointing out racism

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

SalTheBard posted:

What if one was to try pointing out Strom Thurmond's switch to the Republican Party instead of generic Dixiecrats?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

I can't speak to the legislature, but they're wrong about Presidential elections at least.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh

tek79 posted:

Wal-Mart is awesome and government services are total poo poo and we're broke but we need government services to help the poor and elderly and the vets and oh god POLITICAL CORRECTNESS and we're giving money to foreign countries isn't Wal-Mart awesome because they speak English? Why won't someone think about the orphans?

Jesus Christ this is like a a fist full of chewed up FWD:s that's been thrown up and stirred around.

My favourite part:

quote:

d. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more.

AMERICA: a country where we have homeless without shelter, children
going to bed hungry, elderly going without needed medicines, and mentally ill
without treatment, etc.

Imagine if the GOVERNMENT gave U. S. the same support they give to
other countries. Sad isn't it?

:psypop:

Oh, wait, I forgot:

:airquote: the poor :airquote: are those urban people with their chrome-rim Cadillacs and latest RnB ringtones who are livin' large off foodstamps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SalTheBard posted:

Democrats didn't lose control of the Alabama state legislature until 2010. Now this is because everything was gerrymandered all to hell, and they were all conservative anyway. Split votes, like ending sales tax on groceries, were not split on party lines but on racial lines.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SalTheBard posted:

Just point him to the Atwater clip.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Nice Davis posted:

Just point him to the Atwater clip.
I've never shown a diehard the Atwater clip but I do wonder what the reaction would be. Is it like watching a whole worldview come crashing down, or do the defense mechanisms somehow explain away Atwater?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Another thread has someone who showed it to a libertarian and the response was that he meant something else absurd that isn't racist. It's pretty much the same idea as the "camel through the eye of a needle" where the speaker is very clear in his point but the listener desperately wants it to be the opposite so stuff that is to be taken literally is suddenly a complex metaphor that doesn't even make sense.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

I've never shown a diehard the Atwater clip but I do wonder what the reaction would be. Is it like watching a whole worldview come crashing down, or do the defense mechanisms somehow explain away Atwater?

Always, always the latter.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Radish posted:

Another thread has someone who showed it to a libertarian and the response was that he meant something else absurd that isn't racist. It's pretty much the same idea as the "camel through the eye of a needle" where the speaker is very clear in his point but the listener desperately wants it to be the opposite so stuff that is to be taken literally is suddenly a complex metaphor that doesn't even make sense.
Good lord.

Also, apparently Lee Atwater (who was apparently a mean guitarist) released a blues album that included collaborations from BB King. Thanks Wiki for that weird little tidbit that will surely be used as evidence that he's not racist!

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Well, I think his point is that state legislatures continued to be dominated by racist Democrats and I think the best response is, who loving cares. The point is that the national level Democrats were won over by the anti-racist bloc and national level Republicans took advantage of this by appealing to racist voters. Both parties is the South have traditionally sucked, but that's because a lot of the South is terrible, so who gives a poo poo about his point. Now, whether what he is saying is true or not, I don't know, but it doesn't matter.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mitchicon posted:

Well, I think his point is that state legislatures continued to be dominated by racist Democrats and I think the best response is, who loving cares. The point is that the national level Democrats were won over by the anti-racist bloc and national level Republicans took advantage of this by appealing to racist voters. Both parties is the South have traditionally sucked, but that's because a lot of the South is terrible, so who gives a poo poo about his point. Now, whether what he is saying is true or not, I don't know, but it doesn't matter.
I think it shows a level of deliberate racism that many people want to deny, which is what I think is important about it.

I mean, at the end of the day it's not really that important because the Southern Strategy, as you say, is a national strategy, but I remember being utterly shocked about the Atwater quote in my younger, more naive days, so I'd hope others are as shocked too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I am convinced that within 10 years there is going to be a serious push that people saying n***** are not racist and the middling cable TV media will be too cowardly to take a stand on the issue.