Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was under the impression that the promise choice made it so you had to choose a person for them to marry and if you didn't they'd get mad. Either way, getting popups about it all of the time is still annoying. Automation of that and child education is just something I'd like to see as a convenience feature.

Not quite. If you promise to get them married and they send you the event to remind you of your promise, you can choose between pissing them off a little (I haven't found anyone), pissing them off a lot and sending them to a bishopric (off to the monasteries!), or marrying them to a random courtier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

It's really worth reading, for anyone at all interested.

Man that was an interesting trip down history road.

I always remember being pretty drat happy seeing how successful EU3 was because I knew they would probably be around for awhile after that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fister Roboto posted:

Not quite. If you promise to get them married and they send you the event to remind you of your promise, you can choose between pissing them off a little (I haven't found anyone), pissing them off a lot and sending them to a bishopric (off to the monasteries!), or marrying them to a random courtier.

Yep.

Likewise, child education; if you don't choose a tutor for your children/relatives/etc, after a few weeks, a vassal will show up and ask to do the educating for you.

If you resist the urge to compulsively micromanage, life becomes a lot easier!

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there a particular reason not to marry them to someone random?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

Yep.

Likewise, child education; if you don't choose a tutor for your children/relatives/etc, after a few weeks, a vassal will show up and ask to do the educating for you.

If you resist the urge to compulsively micromanage, life becomes a lot easier!

That's still a pain to deal with all of the popups about it and I don't know why you're opposed to a simple convenience feature. And people don't always ask to do educating for you, I've accidentally gone years before realizing there were children who should be educated. And again, it's more stuff you have to personally deal with even if it's just accepting offers. Really, I just want the game to handle it for me. This isn't a super big deal or anything, it would just be nice if that automation actually did exist.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

This was really good. I remember those early days.

I seem to remember some Russian developer being involved in Crusader Kings at first, then falling apart. Anyone remember the story behind that?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Russians contracted to make the game, they gently caress it up really bad, Paradox takes it and made it into the game that caused me to spend a good deal of my teenage years writing terrible AARs.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ray and Shirley posted:

This was really good. I remember those early days.

I seem to remember some Russian developer being involved in Crusader Kings at first, then falling apart. Anyone remember the story behind that?

That was Snowball, they basically shat out nothing in particular, and Johan had to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day, to make the game from scratch. It really was a great game all things considered.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Paradox Entertainment went on to make the woeful Conan movie with Jason Momoa. Looks Wester made the right choice.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

V for Vegas posted:

Paradox Entertainment went on to make the woeful Conan movie with Jason Momoa. Looks Wester made the right choice.

On the other hand, do you have any idea how frustrating it was having Paradox Entertainment, Paradox Games, and Paradox Interactive chilling in your Start Menu? Assholes hated my organization :argh:

And I remember the bit about Strategy First basically telling them to gently caress off when they filed for bankruptcy, that was rough. Didn't the current Paradox once also own the name Paradox Entertainment, just the games division alone, and they just changed the name for clarity? I remember something weird like that going on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So Paradox Entertainment had their games division making stuff like Europa Universalis, looked at that, and seriously thought "How can we transform these guys into a competitive AAA studio?" :psyduck:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

So Paradox Entertainment had their games division making stuff like Europa Universalis, looked at that, and seriously thought "How can we transform these guys into a competitive AAA studio?" :psyduck:
Paradox should make an Europa Universalis FPS where you are a conquistador conquering the Aztecs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kainser posted:

Paradox should make an Europa Universalis FPS where you are a conquistador conquering the Aztecs

There's an RPG of that and it's actually pretty good. http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/?snr=1_7_15__13 You can be peace loving and tolerant or you can be an rear end in a top hat and have a racist nun in your party, it's all up to you!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It was a great article, I didn't know any of that stuff. Thanks for the link.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

That's still a pain to deal with all of the popups about it and I don't know why you're opposed to a simple convenience feature. And people don't always ask to do educating for you, I've accidentally gone years before realizing there were children who should be educated. And again, it's more stuff you have to personally deal with even if it's just accepting offers. Really, I just want the game to handle it for me. This isn't a super big deal or anything, it would just be nice if that automation actually did exist.

Well, I'm opposed to cluttering up the UI with buttons addressing weird niggling details, and I think there are higher priority features - e.g. the excessive stability of large states and the shittiness of rebels. (These two things might be connected!)

Also I'm a helpless pedant and wanted to correct you about tiny details.
:goonsay:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kainser posted:

Paradox should make an Europa Universalis FPS where you are a conquistador conquering the Aztecs conquering Europe.

FTFY.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

There's an RPG of that and it's actually pretty good. http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/?snr=1_7_15__13 You can be peace loving and tolerant or you can be an rear end in a top hat and have a racist nun in your party, it's all up to you!

Man, I had never even heard of this game before it was on the Steam Summer Sale, and it's probably the best :10bux: I've ever impulsively spent on a product I knew nothing about. That game's seriously great.

Although I haven't played any since I had to make a choice between losing my two best soldiers in a single battle or losing three hours of progress. I picked to lose the three hours but haven't had the heart to pick it up again. Dammit, Carlota and Isabel :smith:

Great article from Polygon, too. I knew Paradox started off small but "personally packing their own game boxes" is a bit smaller than I thought. I've got a lot more respect for PI now.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 8, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

Well, I'm opposed to cluttering up the UI with buttons addressing weird niggling details, and I think there are higher priority features - e.g. the excessive stability of large states and the shittiness of rebels. (These two things might be connected!)

Also I'm a helpless pedant and wanted to correct you about tiny details.
:goonsay:

If you were a real pedant then you'd realize that true automation would allow for there to be no user input. :colbert: It's also an interface issue so I doubt there's a one or the other choice to be had where they're figuring out if they'd rather work on gameplay balance versus a more convenient interface. Anyways it was just a niggling issue as you say, I wasn't making a big deal out of it. If they don't ever address it, I'll still really enjoy the game quite a bit.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
God, you just can't stay mad at these magnificent bastards.

Johan the Ironhearted posted:

Complex, but not complicated is our goal," Andersson says. "Never remove complexity, just make it less complicated to interact with it. And that's a gradual process as you learn more and more about it. And there's nobody else to consult or discuss it with, because nobody else makes these types of games."

Which is especially relevant considering that even Fiarxis strategy games have veered hard towards removing both complication AND complexity.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beamed posted:

On the other hand, do you have any idea how frustrating it was having Paradox Entertainment, Paradox Games, and Paradox Interactive chilling in your Start Menu? Assholes hated my organization :argh:

And I remember the bit about Strategy First basically telling them to gently caress off when they filed for bankruptcy, that was rough. Didn't the current Paradox once also own the name Paradox Entertainment, just the games division alone, and they just changed the name for clarity? I remember something weird like that going on.

Strategy First hosed a lot of small European developers when they went bankrupt and told their creditors to eat poo poo.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Leb posted:

God, you just can't stay mad at these magnificent bastards.

Which is especially relevant considering that even Fiarxis strategy games have veered hard towards removing both complication AND complexity.

I think Paradox is the only developer I believe when they say they want to make games more accessible without dumbing them down. In particular their interfaces are getting a lot better.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

If you were a real pedant then you'd realize that true automation would allow for there to be no user input. :colbert: It's also an interface issue so I doubt there's a one or the other choice to be had where they're figuring out if they'd rather work on gameplay balance versus a more convenient interface. Anyways it was just a niggling issue as you say, I wasn't making a big deal out of it. If they don't ever address it, I'll still really enjoy the game quite a bit.

You are in fact correct and there are a bunch of popups in CK2, like the education and siege ones, that you should be able to disable or automate in some way.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ragg posted:

You are in fact correct and there are a bunch of popups in CK2, like the education and siege ones, that you should be able to disable or automate in some way.

The siege events really shouldn't exist, period.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
That Paradox article was really great, thanks for sharing it.

I always knew they were teetering on the brink before HOI2/EU3 but that article really helped spell it out. Packing the boxes for your own game must've been a nightmare.

I wish they had gone into more history about the recent stuff at Paradox though. The development of their newest versions of HOI and Vicky would be interesting to read about.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

PleasingFungus posted:

The siege events really shouldn't exist, period.
I think the siege events would be fine if they were a lot rarer but instead actually noticeably affected the siege. As they are now they're terrible though, yeah.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Ragg posted:

I think Paradox is the only developer I believe when they say they want to make games more accessible without dumbing them down. In particular their interfaces are getting a lot better.
You just reminded me. When one of the early on dev diaries for EU4 revealed that province population wasn't going to be shown anymore, it caused a thread to explode with claims that EU4 was getting dumbed down for the lowest common denominator, because, you know, keeping track of your province population is a True Gamer maneuver I guess. Also I saw another post recently where someone claimed that CK2 was dumbed down to attract Call of Duty twitch kiddies or something.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Kersch posted:

You just reminded me. When one of the early on dev diaries for EU4 revealed that province population wasn't going to be shown anymore, it caused a thread to explode with claims that EU4 was getting dumbed down for the lowest common denominator, because, you know, keeping track of your province population is a True Gamer maneuver I guess. Also I saw another post recently where someone claimed that CK2 was dumbed down to attract Call of Duty twitch kiddies or something.

I was called a fanboy when I called them out. :smith:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kainser posted:

I think the siege events would be fine if they were a lot rarer but instead actually noticeably affected the siege. As they are now they're terrible though, yeah.

The "Siege Leader" trait has some excellent potential for this I think. Add in unique events that will really speed up/slow down a siege if one of the commanders on either side has it. I'd be historical too, as Harold Hardruler made his fortune busting up castles in creative ways if I remember correctly.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
What explains this?

I'm Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture playing the latest CK2+ and this makes no sense; it seems like Ultimogeniture.

edit: it seems to change when I reload and then sometimes change over the course of play back to little Benito there. Maybe it's just One Of Those Things.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 8, 2013

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Dibujante posted:

What explains this?

I'm Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture playing the latest CK2+ and this makes no sense; it seems like Ultimogeniture.

edit: it seems to change when I reload and then sometimes change over the course of play back to little Benito there. Maybe it's just One Of Those Things.

Its an incredibly annoying "bug" when a Republic is created (or doesn't have enough patricians) - simply, your republic and his heir family/his vassals have no/not enough children and it makes you in line to the republic like a normal vassal, and consequently, your child as well. Obviously as with any republic shenanigans this eliminates your child from the line of succession - and if the republic is weird enough it can even eliminate your main branch from inheriting and skip to your nieces/nephews/siblings. It typically resolves itself in a few years after the Patricians have some kids, but sometimes it doesn't and you end up skipping your genius heir or whatever.

Reloading seems to re-prioritize inheritance so your heir becomes heir for a while, but then the game notices and flips again.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I feel like there's two things that article misses in what I'd call Paradox' business strategy that contribute to its success, at least if I am personally indicative of anything. What made me go from "hey this EU2 game is quite interesting and fun" to "I really quite like Paradox and will at the least look into all their games" were:

1. Modding and the support thereof, see for example the mod forums on the official forums and such.
2. Being able to interact directly with the Devs in a really rather open way on their own official forums.

At the time there was only 1 other company I knew of operating like that, and I also really, really liked them. That was Bioware at the time of them developing the original Neverwinter Nights. Then eventually they got bought out by EA and turned into a triple A studio just churning out them games and now they loving suck forever. What a surprise.

A little honest communication with customers builds a lot of goodwill which goes a really long way.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Westminster System posted:

Its an incredibly annoying "bug" when a Republic is created (or doesn't have enough patricians) - simply, your republic and his heir family/his vassals have no/not enough children and it makes you in line to the republic like a normal vassal, and consequently, your child as well. Obviously as with any republic shenanigans this eliminates your child from the line of succession - and if the republic is weird enough it can even eliminate your main branch from inheriting and skip to your nieces/nephews/siblings. It typically resolves itself in a few years after the Patricians have some kids, but sometimes it doesn't and you end up skipping your genius heir or whatever.

Reloading seems to re-prioritize inheritance so your heir becomes heir for a while, but then the game notices and flips again.

Oh god so this is what happened in my most recent Byzantine game. My son, twenty years later, and through several changes of Doge is still listed as the heir to the city(but not the county) that the republic has as capital. On the plus side, I don't have to worry about him for unlanded sons, but on the down side he was Quick and his brother was not.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

:toot:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ofaloaf posted:

Interesting. Though it's a bit odd they don't mention the PDS/PI split at all, and go into some detail about the CK1 woes without mentioning the whole Snowball thing.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Welp, no preorder from me then. :colbert:

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Darkrenown posted:

Interesting. Though it's a bit odd they don't mention the PDS/PI split at all, and go into some detail about the CK1 woes without mentioning the whole Snowball thing.

I think you could write a book about the history of Paradox.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

pdxjohan posted:

Paradox Universialis, make it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

pdxjohan posted:

Well, we do have a book section now...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
^^^^a joke thread, likely means nothing

I was number two in the world for the three days that Gettysburg: Armored Warfare had a large enough community to populate a single server.

I thought that game had great potential (if it had ever been, like, finished).

csm141 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 8, 2013

• Locked thread