Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

HooKars posted:

But whenever I ask if she wants to do something like take a trip, she can never afford it and is "trying to save for a down payment to move out" and talks about slowly paying down her credit card bills all the time. She's 31, which means she's been living rent free, grocery bill free, utility free, etc for TEN years, how can she still have credit card debt and not be able to afford one month's rent to move out?

Does "a down payment to move out" mean a deposit on her own home, because I sure know quite a lot of people who've saved between $50,000 and $100,000 for a deposit on a home of their own by living at home for the first decade of their working life. People who are doing that mean something different to the rest of us when they say they "can't afford" something. Its not that they don't have the money - they just tend to regard their savings as untouchable.

Such people usually have no intention of ever renting - not even briefly. They'll move out of home when - and only when - they can afford to buy a home of their own. The reference to a "down payment" makes me think this woman might be one of those people.

My own "bad with money" contribution. My daughters in-laws went bankrupt several years ago. He played in a band a couple of nights a week throughout most of the time their 6 children were growing up and she was a stay at home mum. They somehow managed to get credit cards a few years back, bought themselves a heap of nice stuff after all the kids moved out and then were unable to service the debt.

During this time, one of the daughters moved back home with her boyfriend and child. Despite the fact that the parents live in 4 bedroom social housing (and they had 3 spare bedrooms), they decided to rent a porta-room for her to live in the back yard. Daughter stayed for about a year and then moved out.

At this point, the parents borrowed money from a friend so that the mother could buy equipment to do acrylic nails and waxing from home. So they kept the portaroom. Almost 9 years later, they still have that portaroom. Mum occasionally does nails out of the spare bedroom (they actually knocked down a wall to enlarge their dining room, so the house is now 3 bedroom) and the portaroom is now the husband's man-cave. The portaroom is $100 per week. By my estimates it's cost them over $40,000. Their excuse for not getting rid of it is that the collection fee is several hundred dollars.

The father doesn't work and the mother is doing an art course at TAFE (community college) to satisfy the activity test for unemployment benefits. The last two years, their children have paid for their car registration. They frequently complain about bills (while ordering takeaway several nights a week, and we're talking $30 on pizza each time not $10 on fish and chips). The father is "toy" happy and they have ridiculous phone and internet plans for poor people.

But damned if they'll get rid of that loving portaroom, which would actually help them to be able to afford their other luxuries.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
How bout this guy?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-fam...gccmt-container

$100 000 spent on loving Beanie babies.. all stored in huge boxes for the day they become super sought after again. Do people even buy these anymore? I have not even seen one in the last 5/10 years.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

How bout this guy?

$100 000 spent on loving Beanie babies.. all stored in huge boxes for the day they become super sought after again. Do people even buy these anymore? I have not even seen one in the last 5/10 years.

This reminds me of my uncle who would proudly show us his glass cabinet of beanie babies and claim that they would pay for my cousin's college.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Lolie posted:

Does "a down payment to move out" mean a deposit on her own home, because I sure know quite a lot of people who've saved between $50,000 and $100,000 for a deposit on a home of their own by living at home for the first decade of their working life. People who are doing that mean something different to the rest of us when they say they "can't afford" something. Its not that they don't have the money - they just tend to regard their savings as untouchable.

The "down payment" in question is probably the security deposit on a rental home/apartment. Many areas in the country require 1-2 months of rent as a security deposit. For people who are ultra-broke, this can often be a problem. Generally though, no matter where you live there are low income options that offer much lower security deposit options with the right references. So what his story was really saying is, "This girl claimed to be trying to save up the $500 necessary to move out, but couldn't manage that despite living at home."

Edit:
I've seen tons of beanie babies. People would ship boxes and boxes of them to us in Afghanistan to give away to kids. They were such worthless pieces of junk, but those kids had never had anything like that before and would light up when they got one.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Do people even buy these anymore? I have not even seen one in the last 5/10 years.

My grandparents stick one in my stocking every year for Christmas. Still. I'm in my twenties. They make some pretty neat ones, I got a woolly mammoth last year and a dragon the year before.

That is pretty depressing though. I have an uncle who collects basically everything collectible - quarters, stamps, model trains - and is convinced he's providing for his grandchildren somehow. Knowing my family I'm pretty sure when he kicks it they'll be too lazy to sort through all that stuff and it'll end up at Goodwill.

Actually he and his wife are a perfect story for this thread. They're absolutely broke but spend money on the worst crap. Their house is full of stuff like Walmart Christmas themed pillows and yarn toilet covers to the extent that their main house is their "stuff" house and they sleep and live mostly in a trailer in their backyard, coming in to bathe and use the bathroom. None of their kids can convince them to stop spending money and save just a tiny bit for retirement. They're in their 60s. They're obviously both mentally ill and it's :smith: to see my aunt go out and spend another twenty bucks she can't afford on Precious Moments figurines she'll never even appreciate.

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 3, 2013

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Lolie posted:

Sadly not. She's talking about saving 1-2 months rent so she would feel comfortable moving out into her own one bedroom. She just finished paying off the last of her credit card debt which came from things like buying her (now ex) boyfriend an awesome tv that she couldn't afford. She's looked at a few apartments but I think she keeps coming to the conclusion that renting is a waste of money when she can live for free at her parents so eventually she probably Will be that person. She's just at about $2,000 saved now. She'll probably save quickly now though she has a new mooch of a boyfriend who has a running tab with her as well. Can't blame her for not wanting to rent though - we live in a very high cost of living area.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 3, 2013

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

HooKars posted:

Sadly not. She's talking about saving 1-2 months rent so she would feel comfortable moving out into her own one bedroom. She just finished paying off the last of her credit card debt which came from things like buying her (now ex) boyfriend an awesome tv that she couldn't afford. She's looked at a few apartments but I think she keeps coming to the conclusion that renting is a waste of money when she can live for free at her parents so eventually she probably Will be that person. She's just at about $2,000 saved now. She'll probably save quickly now though she has a new mooch of a boyfriend who has a running tab with her as well. Can't blame her for not wanting to rent though - we live in a very high cost of living area.

I often think that parents who let their working children live at home "for free" aren't doing their kids any favours. A better system which I've seen some parents adopt is to charge their children for rent, food and household bills as if they were room-mates but bank that money for their child without the child knowing initially.

It gives the child a nest egg, but also gives them a realistic idea of how much their discretionary income is after basic living expenses - something many young adults who've had to pay no living expenses while living at home are unaware of. You're still effectively letting your child live at home free of charge (because at some point you're giving that money back to them), but you're teaching them some financial realities at the same time.

Consumer education was a compulsory subject for us in high school (it was a year long course and from memory it was a couple of periods a week). It might not have made us smarter money-wise - although it certainly taught us the tools needed to make wise decisions - but it did at least ensure that everyone knew how to fill in a tax return, knew basic consumers rights, understood the different types of interest, knew how to balance a cheque book and reconcile a bank statement, understood how loans work (both why making minimum payments on revolving credit is a bad thing and why it takes so long to acquire significant equity in things bought with longer term loans) and understood how simple contracts and various types of insurance work.

People's financial lives are more complex today, but I still believe a similar course should be mandatory in high school and that it should be delivered during compulsory school years so that even those who don't complete high school have that basic knowledge. It's probably more essential than ever giving the staggering amount of contracts into which people are typically locked these days for fairly basic things.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'd say it depends. I can see not charging rent if the child isn't just blowing money left and right.

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

How bout this guy?

I'm pretty sure the "market" for these vanished within like a month of the craze.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I remember the tags would have estimated values for some time in the future. I'm pretty sure it was 2012. I wonder how accurate they were. I'm guessing not very (except for the ones that were mass produced and weren't expected to be worth much).

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

monsieur fatso posted:

I remember the tags would have estimated values for some time in the future. I'm pretty sure it was 2012. I wonder how accurate they were. I'm guessing not very (except for the ones that were mass produced and weren't expected to be worth much).

Most people making "investments" have no idea what "intrinsic value" means - or really what the word investment means.

What's the intrinsic value of a pile of polyester? If you answered "pennies per pound" you are correct. All beanie babies were mass produced. None of them were handmade pieces of art. None of them are especially rare either. In the world of art and collectibles, true rarity and quality workmanship are what people value. Find a counter-example if you can.

This type of magical investment thinking is another hallmark of people who are terrible with money.

Is a new car an investment? Is a pair of shoes an investment? Is a house an investment? Is a meal at a fancy restaurant an investment? To these people, the answer is always yes.

If you're bad with money, you usually have NO IDEA what may or may not produce future cash flow or price appreciation, so anything and everything can be an investment. If you can imagine a scenario where something will be worth more in the future, that's all it takes - you have an investment on your hands.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tiananman posted:

Most people making "investments" have no idea what "intrinsic value" means - or really what the word investment means.

What's the intrinsic value of a pile of polyester? If you answered "pennies per pound" you are correct. All beanie babies were mass produced. None of them were handmade pieces of art. None of them are especially rare either. In the world of art and collectibles, true rarity and quality workmanship are what people value. Find a counter-example if you can.

This type of magical investment thinking is another hallmark of people who are terrible with money.

Is a new car an investment? Is a pair of shoes an investment? Is a house an investment? Is a meal at a fancy restaurant an investment? To these people, the answer is always yes.

If you're bad with money, you usually have NO IDEA what may or may not produce future cash flow or price appreciation, so anything and everything can be an investment. If you can imagine a scenario where something will be worth more in the future, that's all it takes - you have an investment on your hands.

A friend of mine's dad had a 1992-ish Daytona Shelby IROC. Apparently, it's one of just a handful made in that color, and it was his baby. They were convinced it was a museum piece, even though just about no one else really cares about an early 90's Daytona.

Rare does not equal sought-after. Sometimes things are rare just because no one wanted them in the first place.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 5, 2013

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
It's the old supply and demand curves. You need low supply and high demand to get the prices up there.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I once lived with these junkies that were super-hippies. They came home one day with like $400 worth of crystals that "generate healing" or "increase virility" or whatever the gently caress. Like, they didn't have proper jobs, they lived on our screen porch for cheap, yet found money to buy loving rocks? Don't you have a heroin addiction to support?

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Nocheez posted:

A friend of mine's dad had a 1992-ish Daytona Shelby IROC. Apparently, it's one of just a handful made in that color, and it was his baby. They were convinced it was a museum piece, even though just about no one else really cares about an early 90's Daytona.

Rare does not equal sought-after. Sometimes things are rare just because no one wanted them in the first place.

I don't know much of anything about collectible cars, but it usually takes many decades before a pretty ordinary car to become worth anything. So that means you have decades of keeping the car garaged, and years of maintenance to keep parts from rusting, rotting, drying out etc.

Take a pretty normal car like the 1969 dodge charger (a comparable model to the daytona in terms of initial price). A bunch of 69 chargers sell for between $10k and $50k on ebay right now. The average price is about $25k.

It originally sold for about $4k. If you just put that $4k into AAA rated bonds, you'd make AT LEAST 5% annually over the past 44 years - and usually a lot more than 5% - but let's stick with 5%. Compounded that turns into over $34,000 - which is a good $10k more than the average sales price of the car now. AND it didn't cost you anything to own them - unlike garaging and maintaining a car.

If you put that $4k into Dow component stocks in 1969, (when the Dow was around 800) you'd have over $77k today...

Right now, that Shelby Daytona has a kbb value of about $2-$3k. That's less than they paid for it in 1991.

And I'm guessing the car has cost them at least that much to maintain over the years. So they're in the hole by about $15k at least on this car.

They could have put the $13k(!) it cost for this car into stocks and that stake would now be worth $65k. That's a $77k swing.

If you give this information to this type of person, they'll deny everything you say angrily. You don't know cars, you don't know anything, etc.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
My husband's family is awful with money. My husband grew up poor in a Detroit suburb, then later became a ward of the state after his mom died and his biological dad got so depressed, he couldn't care for my husband and his sisters. My husband bounced around between various foster families, who pretty much neglected or abused him, until finally him and his sisters were adopted by genuinely nice people. Anyway, because of all this no one ever taught him about money. He's the type where if he ever gets extra money, he will spend it (the scarcity mindset of, OMG, I have money, I don't know when I'll get it again so spend! spend! spend!) and before he met me, he only had money on the first and 15th of each month (paydays). The other 28 days of the month he would be flat broke. He also spent all his extra money letting family members "borrow" from him. Now he lets me handle everything, so that doesn't happen anymore. He's on board with us paying off debt and having savings, so that's good.

However, my sister in-law and father in-law still suck with money. My SIL actually asked us if they could have $75 toward beer for their wedding, when we had already sent them $50 in gifts of their registry. We said no, but I made my husband handle it. Her and her husband work dead end jobs and spend their paychecks on booze, cigarettes and weed. My FIL lives off SSI and barely makes ends meet. My husband wants to do more for them but he's also realized that if he/we give them money, they will never go do anything for themselves. I'm kind of dreading what will happen when my FIL dies. I know that he has probably no savings, and everyone else in the family will expect me and my husband to shoulder funeral costs because we're the only ones with "real" jobs. I'm wondering if we should start setting money aside for that right now, because I definitely don't need a bunch of family drama because we can't help.

It's been interesting to see all this. I grew up very comfortably middle class, and my parents made every decision based on retiring with plenty of money. So I have a self-sufficient dad who, if anything, sends us money. I never ask him for money, but he's always said that him and my mom wanted to be in a position to help me, because my grandparents never helped them. It's just so weird how on my side, no one ever asks us for money but on my husband's, it's like we're the family bank.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Switchback posted:

I once lived with these junkies that were super-hippies. They came home one day with like $400 worth of crystals that "generate healing" or "increase virility" or whatever the gently caress. Like, they didn't have proper jobs, they lived on our screen porch for cheap, yet found money to buy loving rocks? Don't you have a heroin addiction to support?

Oh my god. Wondering what kind of crystals they were because I collect rocks and most of the ~healing crystals~ I've seen are just pretty polished quartz. You get get a good sized quartz crystal for like .25 - $5. Even amethyst is pretty cheap at a rock show.

I always got a good laugh out of the crystals for sale at my local hippie junk store. Because they come with a special card describing what part of your aura they heal or whatever, they're about 20x what you'd pay anywhere else. Even better are the "throw a bunch of tiny dyed stones into a pouch for six bucks places". :allears:

In line with that, and this thread, I have a kind of spacey friend who is a really sweet dude but atrociously bad with money. He dropped out of college a couple years ago and since then has worked as a waiter at a vegan cafe. Because it's vegan and he likes the owners, he stays there even though they're always cutting back his hours and apparently vegans are terrible tippers.

He's the guy that spends $8 on deodorant. Hey, I get it, I think the stuff in deodorant is gross, too. But you can make your own for REALLY CHEAP. And I showed him how! But no, gotta go to Whole Foods for that poo poo. And environmentally friendly soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. which is all stuff you can make if you're going to be a big fat hippie.

He will also literally starve or resort to dumpster diving rather than buy cheaper (non-organic) food. I didn't know these people existed outside of Portlandia. All of his friends are begging him to get some kind of practical job training or poo poo, just look for a different job where he has some hope of upward mobility. It's actually not that out of the realm of possibility where we live.

I know he has loan debt from his two years in college so I'm not sure what's happening with that. He's been renting a tiny shithole of a house which also seems a bit of a waste if you're that broke (we live in a college town so roommates abound) but it's cool, he finally found someone to live with him. While he was out dumpster diving. Because this guy was literally sleeping by the dumpster, because he is homeless. It's really sweet that you want to help this guy out, friend, but YOU show up begging for food from time to time, come on, you really can't feed another human being. :smith:

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When my grandparents hear the world "collectible" they go insane and buy it all up. They'll always open up glass cabinets full of things they're preserving (stuff I would consider junk) and they'll happily note that the item is a "collectible" and may be worth something some day.

I also remember being a kid when that article about comic books came out suggesting that they would make a great investment. Then a whole bunch of people that had absolutely no interest in reading comics started buying them up and fueled a bubble. My parents even got into it and bought my brother and I a bunch of comics for us to hold onto.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
My dad worked with a man who admittedly was a little simple, he got a rather large inheritance and over the course of the next few months bought (and sold at a massive loss) around 4 progressively worse cars. He started out at a really nice BMW or Lamborghini and ended up with a little shitbox, with nothing to show for it.

Also, I have a friend who just last week shattered her 19th iPhone :stare: thank God her 20th phone is an indestructible cheap Samsung.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
...wow. She knows that they have like, really tough cases you can buy, right? You'd think she'd think of that after the fourth or fifth shattering.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Konig posted:

My dad worked with a man who admittedly was a little simple, he got a rather large inheritance and over the course of the next few months bought (and sold at a massive loss) around 4 progressively worse cars. He started out at a really nice BMW or Lamborghini and ended up with a little shitbox, with nothing to show for it.

Also, I have a friend who just last week shattered her 19th iPhone :stare: thank God her 20th phone is an indestructible cheap Samsung.

Nineteen?! I have had an iPhone for five years and I have only ever once shattered one. I don't even use a case. I've had to send my second one in twice for repairs because the headphone jack stopped working.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

When my grandparents hear the world "collectible" they go insane and buy it all up. They'll always open up glass cabinets full of things they're preserving (stuff I would consider junk) and they'll happily note that the item is a "collectible" and may be worth something some day.

I also remember being a kid when that article about comic books came out suggesting that they would make a great investment. Then a whole bunch of people that had absolutely no interest in reading comics started buying them up and fueled a bubble. My parents even got into it and bought my brother and I a bunch of comics for us to hold onto.

I have two friends that are doing this. They're buying comics partially to read and partially to sell for a profit at some undefined point in the future (with one of them calling it a 'retirement plan'). Fair enough if you enjoy comics and want to read and keep them, but nobody should have any illusions about it being a valuable investment unless you happen to own the first comic Superman appeared in or something.

Another friend of mine runs an 'ebay business' on the side, but refuses to keep records of how much time/effort her business is costing her vs the profits. So for all we know she's losing money on it if you account for the time and effort she takes in wrapping and posting things. This shouldn't be too surprising considering she's nearing 30, lives rent and bill-free in a multigenerational household and yet still never has any money (which probably isn't helped by her having a Masters degree but not applying for anything relevant to her studies).

froglet fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 6, 2013

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

monsieur fatso posted:

Black Jesus... really?

1. Produce product
2. Tell people how much it will be worth in the future
3. People buy it.

and that loving worked?

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Black Jesus... really?

1. Produce product
2. Tell people how much it will be worth in the future
3. People buy it.

and that loving worked?

Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us? Of course it worked. Beanie babies, comic books, sports cards, trading cards, stocks, gold, coins, stamps.... so many others. It's all the same pattern.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Name one of those that the creator put a dollar value on for a future date.

Go.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Name one of those that the creator put a dollar value on for a future date.

Go.

People selling lovely collector coins do this type of thing all the time. And I think I've seen people on QVC or whatever hinting at future price appreciation for things like baseball cards and other "collectibles."

It's a tried and true sales tactic.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tiananman posted:

People selling lovely collector coins do this type of thing all the time. And I think I've seen people on QVC or whatever hinting at future price appreciation for things like baseball cards and other "collectibles."

It's a tried and true sales tactic.

Bingo.
The $25 real money limited edition freedom eagle patriot liberty GOLD COIN being sold for $24.99 USD (+$12.95 shipping and handling) is 25 Liberian dollars (LRD).
25 LRD is about 33 cents in US Dollars.
Grandparents don't know this, and that's how kids end up with weird minted coins commemorating things like 150 years of model trains.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
This isn't a 'bad with money' story per se, but I think people will get a kick out of it:

When my father was a young man, he was a hippy, he took part in all the protests, made speeches, camped outside Faslane, etc. During this time he became acquainted with another young man (let's call him Bill) who had grown up in a very rich family that owned an entire mansion and some hundred acres of land surrounding it. Bill didn't live there though, because he was a hippy too! Bill, as it turned out, was very much into the nomadic lifestyle of pretty much drifting wherever he felt like, and as far as I'm aware lived entirely in hotels and some small second house he owned somewhere in England.

If I recall correctly, both Bill's parents were dead and the closest thing he had to relatives were some friends of his mother's who were struggling financially so Bill allowed them to live in the mansion since he never went there, preferring to continue his wanderings around the country doing not much at all.

Bill and my dad didn't encounter each other again until about ten years later, and apparently Bill was fairly morose. It seems that after twelve years of living in this enormous estate, the family friends had claimed adverse possession of the mansion using squatters' law. Basically, because he had never visited the mansion in all these years, or attempted to write up any sort of lease, the entire property was legally handed over to the family friends!

He still owns the grounds though! :v:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

froglet posted:

I have two friends that are doing this. They're buying comics partially to read and partially to sell for a profit at some undefined point in the future (with one of them calling it a 'retirement plan'). Fair enough if you enjoy comics and want to read and keep them, but nobody should have any illusions about it being a valuable investment unless you happen to own the first comic Superman appeared in or something.

Another friend of mine runs an 'ebay business' on the side, but refuses to keep records of how much time/effort her business is costing her vs the profits. So for all we know she's losing money on it if you account for the time and effort she takes in wrapping and posting things. This shouldn't be too surprising considering she's nearing 30, lives rent and bill-free in a multigenerational household and yet still never has any money (which probably isn't helped by her having a Masters degree but not applying for anything relevant to her studies).

I have a comic collection from when I was a kid. I'd say I did better than most, in that my collection is worth maybe 5-10% of what I paid for the books retail. I knew as a young teenager in the 90's though that it'd be worthless when I saw comic shops selling bags of like 4 comics together for $1. Basic supply and demand. Now I just buy huge graphic novels/omnibus editions, so I still get to read the comics but at a fraction of the cost. With the exception of a few choice comics that make up the bulk of my collection's value, I bet I'd probably have to sell them by the pound to a collector/shop to get rid of them.

Why most rappers are broke (part 1 of 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmXcpWkkin8

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I have to say that I collected Beanie Babies as a kid, probably around 1996/1997, and there were no future prices on the tag. If they put them on later it was after the fad had already started dying.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Haha. The talk of comics I had to look it up the two I have saved in the back of my parent's house in my old (now storage) room.

Savage Dragon #1: Worth 4.50
Pizza Hut X-men Collectors edition: 6 dollars

Looks like it's time to retire.

I have to say I haven't had a friend that has done well and had a child. One of my current "friends" just posted about how can they get out of their current lease on the car they should have never leased in the first place. Or my roommate moved out, I need pots and pans!!

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

TLG James posted:

Haha. The talk of comics I had to look it up the two I have saved in the back of my parent's house in my old (now storage) room.

Savage Dragon #1: Worth 4.50
Pizza Hut X-men Collectors edition: 6 dollars

Looks like it's time to retire.

I have to say I haven't had a friend that has done well and had a child. One of my current "friends" just posted about how can they get out of their current lease on the car they should have never leased in the first place. Or my roommate moved out, I need pots and pans!!

Savage Dragon #1 is an excellent example of the comic collectible market crashing in on itself. I know I have a copy in my collection, along with Spawn #1, Youngblood #1, etc. The idea was that the first Superman is extremely valuable (Action Comics #1), therefore the first issue of a comic series would always be valuable. Image Comics came onto the scene, with all new series, so a ton of first issues flooded the market. Everybody has Savage Dragon #1 in their collection.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

particle409 posted:

Youngblood #1
What about Rob Liefeld's magnum opus, Youngblood / Bloodshot - This Blood's For You?

Still waiting for a character named Bloodblood.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

TLG James posted:

I have to say I haven't had a friend that has done well and had a child.

I am so afraid to ever have a child because of this. I mean right now we're on a straight shot to paying off debt, and can still put quite a bit into savings, but I feel like we have a kid, we won't ever save again because of all extra money funneling to the kid. Goodbye vacations, discretionary fun purchases, and maybe even Roth IRA contributions (which I'm starting next month and will increase once our debt is gone). Plus, at my job, I don't make enough money to justify childcare, so it's pretty much going to be goodbye 2nd income until they are school age, too. :ohdear:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TLG James posted:

my roommate moved out, I need pots and pans!!

Have these people never heard of a thrift shop? If not, Macklemore will be more than happy to tell them all about it.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
My roommate bought a $9 jar of peanut butter

I.G.Y. fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 1, 2016

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I am so afraid to ever have a child because of this. I mean right now we're on a straight shot to paying off debt, and can still put quite a bit into savings, but I feel like we have a kid, we won't ever save again because of all extra money funneling to the kid. Goodbye vacations, discretionary fun purchases, and maybe even Roth IRA contributions (which I'm starting next month and will increase once our debt is gone). Plus, at my job, I don't make enough money to justify childcare, so it's pretty much going to be goodbye 2nd income until they are school age, too. :ohdear:

Yeah, you're not alone in that worry. It's really a matter of what you need to feel sufficiently secure to have a kid. Sad to say, but I've seen some people worrying so much about providing the "right" environment for their potential children (stable job, house, etc) that they leave it too long and need fertility treatments. Not saying that there's anything wrong with wanting the best for your potential kids, just that peoples expectations really need to be matched up with their biological reality, since fertility drops off after a certain point for both men and women.

That said, an acquaintance of mine who goes from 'man, I'm so broke' to 'I think spending all this money to impress my girlfriend is a good idea' has been told he's going to be a father. He broke up with his last girlfriend because she didn't want kids while he did, but I really wonder if he could provide a stable environment for his family considering he currently lives the bachelor lifestyle and probably doesn't realise all the stuff he'll have to give up to have kids. Some of the parents in our social circle have tried to point out his current lifestyle will need to undergo a major overhaul to prepare for a new baby, but no idea if he's actually taken on any of their advice.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kids need sticks. Also rocks. Everything else is negotiable.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
My wife and I have no retirement savings and only about 5k in the bank. I'm about to start grad school and she doesn't have a job. Ohh and there is the 50k in student loans. And we are 29.

Good times.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Omits-Bagels posted:

My wife and I have no retirement savings and only about 5k in the bank. I'm about to start grad school and she doesn't have a job. Ohh and there is the 50k in student loans. And we are 29.

Good times.

Hey, that sounds like me and my husband! 5k in the bank, no other savings, 50K in student loans. I'm in grad school. Husband works part time. Ages 27 and 33.

It's not because we're bad with money (okay well, he was before we met). I've just been in school this whole time! Except for a couple years where I bummed around the country doing temp jobs making not very much money. So...I've never even had any money to save. Oh well! We don't really have any bills, my loans are deferred and his were paid by his mom so he just makes payments to her.

It's all good man! Hope your wife finds a job. Luckily for me I get a graduate research stipend. It's like a dollar above minimum wage but it supports us because I really am good with money! And someday I'll get a real job! Maybe. After I graduate I'm thinking about switching majors and going back for more graduate school! I just don't know if I can handle a 9-5, you know? I'm 27 and have never had one. The idea does not appeal to me. Or my husband. We'll probably be bums forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

razz posted:

Hey, that sounds like me and my husband! 5k in the bank, no other savings, 50K in student loans. I'm in grad school. Husband works part time. Ages 27 and 33.

It's not because we're bad with money (okay well, he was before we met). I've just been in school this whole time! Except for a couple years where I bummed around the country doing temp jobs making not very much money. So...I've never even had any money to save. Oh well! We don't really have any bills, my loans are deferred and his were paid by his mom so he just makes payments to her.

It's all good man! Hope your wife finds a job. Luckily for me I get a graduate research stipend. It's like a dollar above minimum wage but it supports us because I really am good with money! And someday I'll get a real job! Maybe. After I graduate I'm thinking about switching majors and going back for more graduate school! I just don't know if I can handle a 9-5, you know? I'm 27 and have never had one. The idea does not appeal to me. Or my husband. We'll probably be bums forever!

Holy gently caress. How do you sleep at night?
Not trying to be a dick but is your mentality just gently caress it, it's all a wash, might as well rack up the student loans since I'll never be able to pay them off anyway? Not saying that you do necessarily feel that way, but I imagine that a frightening number of people probably actually have this mentality.

• Locked thread