Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks a lot for that guide. Now I just have to figure out the area hints, which I can't seem to find a list of yet. I'll write you up a list of the enemies in a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Holy poo poo, this Treasure Mission 2 :stonk:

I thought it was being generous with 8 minutes but NOPE. I've managed to get everything but the little piles now, I think I have a good strategy down but holy gently caress time is going to be tight in this one.

E: Just got it with 11 seconds to spare.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 6, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Indigenous life who have files:

The five bosses and final boss
Bulborb
Dwarf Bulborb
Wollywog
Peckish Aristocrab
Joustmite
Desiccated Skitter Leaf
Swooping Snitchbug
Toady Bloyster
Shaggy Long Legs
Arachnode
Bug-Eyed Crawmad
Bearded Amprat
Burrowing Snagret
Pellet Posy
Hiding (That's not an indigenous life form but it's referring to the hiding in plants mechanic)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Thanks! I seem to be missing... pellet posy.

Well that doesn't narrow down my search area by much. :sweatdrop: I'm guessing it'll be in one of the early areas. I guess I'll start by looking in tropical wilds where you first wake up.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Well that doesn't narrow down my search area by much. :sweatdrop: I'm guessing it'll be in one of the early areas. I guess I'll start by looking in tropical wilds where you first wake up.

I can't remember exactly but I think it's somewhere in the second area where you find Brittany. Obviously very close to the landing site.

Wherever it is, it's hidden in some plants. There is a Data File where you first wake up in Tropical Wilds though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

How are the multiplayer modes?

If you go back 1 page I wrote up a big post about it. :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good grief the final level is hard. :stare:

It's really cool that they decided to expand upon the Waterwraith concept with something much more elaborate and terrifying.

Edit: Aaaaand I stayed up way to late finishing it. That was an incredible final level and boss. They really wanted to show off what they could do on this new system I guess.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 6, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, here's my final score:

I'm pretty proud of how I did, but holy loving christ that last boss, I thought I was playing a horror themed level with all of the Pikmin ghosts rising from their tiny corpses. All of those poor fucks. :smith:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sire Oblivion posted:

I had to do the same thing, I was afraid that the body of the boss was going to be gone the next day but everything was still there thankfully.

Whaaat? The one time I killed a boss near the end of a day and couldn't get it back to the onion in time, it was gone the next day. I checked where I dropped it and back where I fought it and nothing. :argh: Where did you find yours?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
One or two times I've killed bosses near the end of the day and haven't had time to carry them back, and the next day they've been either right where they died or right where I left them if I started moving them to the onion. Maybe certain bosses remain between days while others don't?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so:

Always flower your pikmin. The more they're flowered, the closer they stick to you. Taking a corner and losing half the litter is depressing.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I don't have a Wii U yet, so I'm unable to play this game, but a buddy of mine is and is telling me what the premise of the game is, and it sounds pretty loving crazy. Is he close? At all?

He says that Pikmin 3 takes place in a split timeline where Olimar never escaped Earth in Pikmin 1, and has likely died there. However, it's possible that he's alive and somehow used a force to bring Alph's ship to Earth.

Try not to use too bad of spoilers, since I do intend to play this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snix posted:

I don't have a Wii U yet, so I'm unable to play this game, but a buddy of mine is and is telling me what the premise of the game is, and it sounds pretty loving crazy. Is he close? At all?

He says that Pikmin 3 takes place in a split timeline where Olimar never escaped Earth in Pikmin 1, and has likely died there. However, it's possible that he's alive and somehow used a force to bring Alph's ship to Earth.

Not even close.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snix posted:

Your friend is either loving with you or is very early on in the game and lacks reading comprehension.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Snix posted:

I can tell from this that your friend has 1) only reached the first boss so far and 2) is a champion of reading too much into things.

e: Actually, I've got my file order mixed up so he's probably not even that far. The file that hints that Olimar might be dead is, like, the first file you get in the game. And things happen that confirm this is not the case less than a few in game days later. :psyduck:

VVVVVVVVV
Can do. Sorry.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 6, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

I can tell from this that your friend has 1) only reached the first boss so far and 2) is a champion of reading too much into things.

e: Actually, I've got my file order mixed up so he's probably not even that far. The file that hints that Olimar might be dead is, like, the first file you get in the game. And things happen that confirm this is not the case less than a few in game days later. :psyduck:

I know it's early in the game, but it's a neat surprise and you might want to spoil that.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Just beat Treasure Mission 3. It was actually a bit easier than I thought it would be, the fact that there were Candypop Buds made me think the level was more complicated than it actually was. Probably the easiest Platinum I've gotten so far.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ok I need a little help here I just beat the big evil stump swamp creature in Twilight River. However I can't get anything the boss dropped (Including Lou) back to my ship cause I haven't been able to find the last pieces for the blue bridge. What am I missing here?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Ok I need a little help here I just beat the big evil stump swamp creature in Twilight River. However I can't get anything the boss dropped (Including Lou) back to my ship cause I haven't been able to find the last pieces for the blue bridge. What am I missing here?

If you missed any pieces it's most likely the ones you have to dig out of the hole near the entrance to the boss arena.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

If you missed any pieces it's most likely the ones you have to dig out of the hole near the entrance to the boss arena.

I missed those my first time too, and wasn't able to get the avocado back for a while. Just keep in mind that the piles of dirt don't always have bomb rocks, and it's worth tossing a few Pikmin in just to see what you'll get!

E: After a shitload of attempts I managed to beat Treasure Mission 4 with 49 seconds left. Just about everything fell into place, but the biggest piece of advice is do the charge thing on the Bulborb with a shitload of Pikmin. I had like 60, with 13 Purples, the thing died instantly. Put a purple on each thing it dropped, sprayed the group, then got to work on that sides gold piles.

This was also the first time I used the Wii Remote controls. Took some getting used to, but once you've got them down they are really good. I think I'll stick with the Pad though, if only because I like having the extra camera control.

E2: Is it possible to watch a replay after leaving that screen? I'd like to go over that mission again, the amount of multitasking I was juggling was insane.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 7, 2013

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I know in the old games (or at least in the GCN version of Pikmin 1 which I replayed a few months ago) if your Pikmin surrounded an enemy / an item to carry they would start attacking / carrying automatically. Is there any way to get them to do that in this game? From what I've played so far it seems like they'll only do something if you throw them, which is fine most of the time but is a little annoying when you have to tap the A-button 20 times in a row to move a 20-Pikmin boulder instead of just swarming it with a big 20+ army. It would at least be nice if holding A fired Pikmin continuously, but it seems like it just charges up a Pikmin throw?

One other question: do Rock Pikmin do anything when thrown at dirt walls? It seems like the Red Pikmin are the only ones doing any work, but it's hard to tell.

Overall, really enjoying what I played so far and this game is a much better sequel to the first game than Pikmin 2 was. I'm also not worried about the game's supposed short length since I've found myself redoing every day multiple times like a crazy person to optimize the day (I replayed the first day of Arctic Tundra four times to get the entire bridge built while also harvesting all killed enemy bodies along the way on one go).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The game is a lot better the second time around, especially the final area.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I know in the old games (or at least in the GCN version of Pikmin 1 which I replayed a few months ago) if your Pikmin surrounded an enemy / an item to carry they would start attacking / carrying automatically. Is there any way to get them to do that in this game? From what I've played so far it seems like they'll only do something if you throw them, which is fine most of the time but is a little annoying when you have to tap the A-button 20 times in a row to move a 20-Pikmin boulder instead of just swarming it with a big 20+ army. It would at least be nice if holding A fired Pikmin continuously, but it seems like it just charges up a Pikmin throw?

That might be because they are still called to you. If you call off your Pikmin whilst they are surrounding something they can carry, they should pick it up and take it back to their onion or wherever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mancalamania posted:

One other question: do Rock Pikmin do anything when thrown at dirt walls? It seems like the Red Pikmin are the only ones doing any work, but it's hard to tell.

If a Pikmin is near to a thing they can do something to, they'll do things to it. Like if your Pikmin are carrying a thing back to base and they pass an idle pikmin, the idle one will run over to help. As for firing all your pikmin at one thing, if you lock onto an item (hold down LZ) and press B you'll send your entire squad at a thing. You can do this with just about everything.

As for Rock Pikmin, they bash themselves against the wall like they do everything else. It can be hard to see because their attack speed is so slow but they're swarming it like the others. Really if you're attacking with rocks you're better off throwing them then calling them back. They do more damage and it's easier to keep them out of harms way.

Also whoever it was wasn't kidding about the 3rd treasure mission being super easy. I platinum'd that on the second run.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Swarming is a pretty decent replacement for the C-stick maneuver as far as picking up objects and going at walls, piles of tiles, etc. It's not so good for attacking in most circumstances (except for bosses). The lack of the C-stick and the related fact that there's no way to throw Pikmin faster are two of my only complaints about this game. The only other one I can think of is the lack of a Piklopedia.

I've done a couple of missions, so far the Boss ones are really easy at least for gold. I don't really get the feel of the fight enemies missions though. How do you effectively multitask a primarily combat mission?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

njsykora posted:

If a Pikmin is near to a thing they can do something to, they'll do things to it. Like if your Pikmin are carrying a thing back to base and they pass an idle pikmin, the idle one will run over to help. As for firing all your pikmin at one thing, if you lock onto an item (hold down LZ) and press B you'll send your entire squad at a thing. You can do this with just about everything.

As for Rock Pikmin, they bash themselves against the wall like they do everything else. It can be hard to see because their attack speed is so slow but they're swarming it like the others. Really if you're attacking with rocks you're better off throwing them then calling them back. They do more damage and it's easier to keep them out of harms way.

Also whoever it was wasn't kidding about the 3rd treasure mission being super easy. I platinum'd that on the second run.

This really needs to be emphasized and screamed from the hilltops, as the game doesn't tell you about it afaik. Maybe a note that I haven't gotten mentions it, but unlike the dodge you don't need any upgrades to use it, you have it from the very beginning, but almost nobody notices until they're like halfway through.

Needs to go in the OP, although people may not check it.

Yeah, its funny, I found the second mission to be really, really challenging, and then the third was super easy.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Zaphod42 posted:

This really needs to be emphasized and screamed from the hilltops, as the game doesn't tell you about it afaik. Maybe a note that I haven't gotten mentions it, but unlike the dodge you don't need any upgrades to use it, you have it from the very beginning, but almost nobody notices until they're like halfway through.

Actually, there are notes about locking on and charging. It's just that they aren't given to you as data files (they come with the KopPad), so unless you go to the controls section yourself and look at it, you wouldn't know. (It's Z to lock on and shake nunchuk to charge with Wiimote+Nunchuk)

Also, nthing this as important. This is so useful because of its versatility - you can send your squad at a group of fragments, at a dirt mound, and most importantly, at bosses.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its funny, I found the second mission to be really, really challenging, and then the third was super easy.

I haven't done mission 5 yet, but mission 4 was pretty challenging, even though I finished it with almost a full minute. It's one where you have to be absolutely on top of all three captains and what they are doing, you need to have a really solid route, and of course a little bit of luck.

I think the first treasure hunting mission has probably been the hardest though. You just do not have that much time to waste, and since you only have the one captain multitasking is extremely limited. The second mission just required a decent enough route and knowing ahead of time where each captain needs to be at a given time. The fourth takes that concepts and gives it a heaping helping of steroids.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

Actually, there are notes about locking on and charging. It's just that they aren't given to you as data files (they come with the KopPad), so unless you go to the controls section yourself and look at it, you wouldn't know. (It's Z to lock on and shake nunchuk to charge with Wiimote+Nunchuk)

Also, nthing this as important. This is so useful because of its versatility - you can send your squad at a group of fragments, at a dirt mound, and most importantly, at bosses.

Yeah its super handy for fences or the mounds of golden nuggets.

AHH the koppad comes WITH notes?! Yeah either they didn't mention that or everybody's too busy skipping the boring obvious stuff and then doesn't realize.

The game should really demonstrate that ability to you once, its so amazingly useful.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its super handy for fences or the mounds of golden nuggets.

AHH the koppad comes WITH notes?! Yeah either they didn't mention that or everybody's too busy skipping the boring obvious stuff and then doesn't realize.

The game should really demonstrate that ability to you once, its so amazingly useful.

There's a little "NEW" notice on the data files until you read them. All the controls stuff is marked like that when you start.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Just got the Platinum on treasure 5. Wasn't super hard, just took a while to have a run where everything sort of fell into place in the order I wanted it to. Mission 3 was still by far the easiest.

Now to move on to the battle missions..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress, targeting air enemies is such a pain in the rear end using the gamepad controls. Any tips? I don't feel like getting a nunchuck just yet.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MissileWaster posted:

I haven't done mission 5 yet, but mission 4 was pretty challenging, even though I finished it with almost a full minute. It's one where you have to be absolutely on top of all three captains and what they are doing, you need to have a really solid route, and of course a little bit of luck.

I think the first treasure hunting mission has probably been the hardest though. You just do not have that much time to waste, and since you only have the one captain multitasking is extremely limited. The second mission just required a decent enough route and knowing ahead of time where each captain needs to be at a given time. The fourth takes that concepts and gives it a heaping helping of steroids.

Treasure 1 Platinum tip:
You can whistle down a bunch of red and rock pikmin from the back gold pile from the start, giving you pretty much double starting pikmin and the rest just kind of goes smooth sailing from there.

32 days and about 10 hours (left it on a few times? not sure) for a 66 fruit first run. Absolutely loved it, but drat I wish it didn't end so fast. Especially when that last level was just so insane. Playing some of the missions now, was hoping to have a friend come by to help with some of the multitasking on the harder ones but have blown through the first three on platinum second try (okay, third on lake). Do the boss/fights/later treasure ranks get more challenging? Would be awesome if we got some real DLC challenge maps.

Oh, also for anyone who has finished the missions already, do we need to platinum everything in order to find out what the comet during the end credits was, or does it unlock after just completing them all?

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Treasure 1 Platinum tip:
You can whistle down a bunch of red and rock pikmin from the back gold pile from the start, giving you pretty much double starting pikmin and the rest just kind of goes smooth sailing from there.

Holy poo poo why did I never think of that.
I would grab them while my other group was working on the bridge and use them to kill the fire slug things, then grab the bridge building group and go to work grabbing bodies and fruits.

I've gotten all 5 Treasure platinums, haven't gone into the battle ones yet. What are the conditions for getting platinums on the boss fights? I'm really hoping it doesn't have to do with number of Pikmin lost.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are all of the Missions co-op? I haven't had a chance to try them (and I don't care to do them solo) but my friend and I had a blast playing the game at E3 together and I hope that we have a good chunk of things to do together later this weekend.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MissileWaster posted:

I've gotten all 5 Treasure platinums, haven't gone into the battle ones yet. What are the conditions for getting platinums on the boss fights? I'm really hoping it doesn't have to do with number of Pikmin lost.

Pretty sure pikmin lost as well as time taken factors into your score for bosses.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

dijon du jour posted:

Did you manage to find it? Its also my last note and I can't for the life of me seem to find it. :|

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On my last fruit but I'm stuck I have just the Velvetey Dreamdrop in the Tropic Winds area but its in an area I've never even seen and I have no idea how to get there

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Alright, Treasure 4 is nice. A few tries and I keep having the last fruit/pellets in sight of the ship.

Calling it a night, but I think I'll continue to use spicy on my winged dudes to take out the blowfish, send all purples straight to the bulborb, but instead of sending the yellows to help with the bulborb they will either start working on the glass if the bridge is up or at least bring fruit closer to the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vinchenz posted:

Did you manage to find it? Its also my last note and I can't for the life of me seem to find it. :|

Nope. Having a tiny-rear end TV is not very conducive to finding small hidden objects. :negative:

If anyone else can help it would be much appreciated.

• Locked thread