Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I like the Yoga Catastrophe.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
She looks incredibly solid, definitely getting her. And she doesn't have a complete manface, either. Good job, NRS.

And for anyone following Boon's twitter, he said she was the winner of the unofficial poll, so take that, Red Hood fans!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Paul Dini voted 900 times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Should've done something like where she wraps them in chains, tosses them into an upsidedown water tank, the tank gets sealed in a giant safe, then it gets pierced by 20 swords and KABOOM!

But nope, fly up punch down :downs:

This is such an amazing idea instead of the ninth variation of a floating smackdown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they make a sequel, it really needs dynamic kills for supers. People getting back up then falling again looks so dumb.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I was going to ask how an upsidedown water tank would bother Aquaman and then, oh yeah, the swords.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

I was going to ask how an upsidedown water tank would bother Aquaman and then, oh yeah, the swords.

Aquaman gets damaged by the water tank interactables on his own stage :iiam:

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
That teleport into dive kick is most certainly dirty and, much like Scorpion, I can already hear the tears and salt start.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ok, I've been told that Zatanna's Super is from her time as Dr. Fate's stand-in, so I guess it ties in to comics at least.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Aphrodite posted:

If they make a sequel, it really needs dynamic kills for supers. People getting back up then falling again looks so dumb.

That has been in every single Mortal Kombat game that I'm aware of. It's a stylistic choice and I can't imagine that they're ever going to get rid of it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
According to Joystiq, Zatanna is out next week (August 13/14) for 5 bucks. They are really cranking these out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Krad posted:

She looks incredibly solid, definitely getting her. And she doesn't have a complete manface, either. Good job intimidating NRS into not messing up Zatanna's appearance, Paul Dini.

And for anyone following Boon's twitter, he said she was the winner of the unofficial poll, so take that, Red Hood fans!
Had to make a slight correction to your post. Hope you understand. On the other hand, some faith in humanity has been restored.

Still, I'm glad Zatanna looks good. Add me to group who feel her super is underwhelming (and a smidge lazy since it looks like NRS recycled the vortex from Killer Frost's super), but it is definitely over-the-top flashy, which is what I wanted to at least get. Other than that, the Yoga Catastrophe move looks like it'll be nasty for teleport mixups. Also, her throws made me laugh since one is a hoop teleport and the other is hypnosis-based. The latter made me laugh more, but probably because it was Grundy as the target.

Unbound posted:

That teleport into dive kick is most certainly dirty and, much like Scorpion, I can already hear the tears and salt start.
But do those tears have a different flavor profile than the Scorpion tears? That is the question.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Also: she's a strength character? That's kinda weird.

She's probably a gadget character, to my knowledge every type of character can throw those pillar faces on asylum.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yardbomb posted:

She's probably a gadget character, to my knowledge every type of character can throw those pillar faces on asylum.

She also takes longer to throw that face than everyone else. Like, way longer.

Can we also have the theme that was playing in the background of that video? It sounded way more upbeat than the dramatic soundtrack we get in every stage.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm looking forward to the Gavok write-up on Zatanna than the actual DLC. :allears:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Krad posted:

She also takes longer to throw that face than everyone else. Like, way longer.

I think she just used a hover move before actually making the throw.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is this the first video that didn't have the new DLC character facing off against the free compatability skin?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm looking forward to the Gavok write-up on Zatanna than the actual DLC. :allears:

Let me tell you everything you ever need to know about Zatanna as a character:

Buy Seven Soldiers.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this the first video that didn't have the new DLC character facing off against the free compatability skin?
Unless the Zatanna DLC pack unlocks the Boss Grundy skin for free, then yes, this is the first time that a DLC character doesn't have a free compatibility skin tagging along for the ride.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AradoBalanga posted:

But do those tears have a different flavor profile than the Scorpion tears? That is the question.

We can only hope that these tears are of the ever-rare, taffy-flavored variety. It's hard to find non-salty tears in the FGC.

AradoBalanga posted:

Unless the Zatanna DLC pack unlocks the Boss Grundy skin for free, then yes, this is the first time that a DLC character doesn't have a free compatibility skin tagging along for the ride.

I certainly hope this isn't the case and they instead didn't want to show that it's a costume for one of the character that have yet to have one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unbound posted:

I certainly hope this isn't the case and they instead didn't want to show that it's a costume for one of the character that have yet to have one.

Come onnnnn New 52 or Parallax Sinestro :smithicide:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 7, 2013

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is it me or does Zatana have air float?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WtzcEVQ-Exg&t=41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WtzcEVQ-Exg&t=80

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Right before she throws the stone mask? Yeah, looks like.

Kind of a strange gently caress off time to use it though if it is.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The swords-through-the-safe idea is admittedly a cool idea. But this super has Marvel-esque background flash and looks magical, so I like it. I don't know much about the character, but skimming Google suggests her powers are limited to telekinesis and elemental manipulation rather than summoning physical objects out of thin air.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Toady posted:

The swords-through-the-safe idea is admittedly a cool idea. But this super has Marvel-esque background flash and looks magical, so I like it. I don't know much about the character, but skimming Google suggests her powers are limited to telekinesis and elemental manipulation rather than summoning physical objects out of thin air.

It's more like she's a full on hocus pocus magician who happens to also do stage work. She can pretty much do anything as long as she says it backwards so if she mutters "sgorf pu worhT!" the person is going to be gagging out toads till doomsday.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I've never read any comics about her, so you might be right. What I read suggested her powers were more limited, in that she's not a Green Lantern who can summon anything she imagines but rather a smoke-and-mirrors stage magician with some real powers of of telekinesis, fire, and electricity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe at one point, but she's a full blown wizard now.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Should've done something like where she wraps them in chains, tosses them into an upsidedown water tank, the tank gets sealed in a giant safe, then it gets pierced by 20 swords and KABOOM!

But nope, fly up punch down :downs:

Why can't we have nice things?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks again to Holy Calamity! for playing with me that one time, I put what I learned that night to good use.

Missed this before, no problem yo! It's amazing how much a good session or two can help you step up your game so I'm glad to hear it.

Sorry again to hardleywalken who I meant to play with this week, I'm in the process of moving and have been obsessed with Chivalry in my spare time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Toady posted:

I've never read any comics about her, so you might be right. What I read suggested her powers were more limited, in that she's not a Green Lantern who can summon anything she imagines but rather a smoke-and-mirrors stage magician with some real powers of of telekinesis, fire, and electricity.

No, Zatanna's a full-on, no bullshit reality warping magic type. She says stuff backwards and then they happen.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm no good at this game, but playing through battles as Martian Manhunter and everything in the Superman fight just clicked together in all the right ways and man oh man I had a really fun time :)

After getting John Stewart in, I wonder if any other playalikes are on the way. Blue Beetle Cyborg?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Is the Injustice server on the 360 acting up tonight? I haven't played in a while until earlier tonight (and attempted to again a little bit ago), so I dunno if this is an ongoing thing or if it's my problem (my 360 connects and stays connected just fine). I downloaded the latest compatibility pack (John Stewart Green Lantern), so I should be up to date. :confused:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I need to start playing again now that Zatanna is coming out. I miss playing with you guys. :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ZATANNA ZATARA

Alias: No, that's her actual name!
First Appearance: Hawkman #4 (1964)
Powers: Skilled in all sorts of magic
Other Media: Appeared on all sorts of cartoons, Smallville

Zatanna is one of the earliest legacy characters in comic books. Her father Giovanni Zatara was a crime-fighting magician who appeared all the way back in Action Comics #1 (the comic that debuted Superman). Zatanna lived as a stage magician and illusionist for years, leaving it to search the world for her lost father. Over the course of her journey, she discovered that she was a special kind of human called "homo magi" that made her able to control magic. No longer would she rely on sleight of hand. She was the real deal. Like her father before her, she is able to project spells by speaking backwards. When her ability to speak is removed, she's still able to project her spells by writing them out in her own blood.

Her search for her father took place over the course of various comic titles, culminating in the Justice League helping her. She worked with the League a handful of times before becoming a full-fledged member. During the 80's, she got rid of her more memorable fishnets and top hat look for something incredibly generic and had some romantic tension with Barry Allen Flash (he was a widower at the time). She left in the middle of the ill-fated Justice League Detroit era.

For a while, Zatanna would usually team up with fellow magic user John Constantine, who she had an on-again-off-again relationship. She also had something going with Doctor Thirteen, a detective known for being the last skeptic in the DC Universe. What I mean is that he believes that everything from magic to Superman sightings is smoke and mirrors and ravings of lunatics. His daughter Traci doesn't have the nerve to tell him that she too has magical powers.

The retcon introduced in Identity Crisis brought Zatanna back into the forefront. Years ago in the Justice League, the team found supervillain Dr. Light raping Elongated Man's wife Sue. As voted by the League, Zatanna mindwiped Dr. Light and made it so that not only could he not remember the act, but she rewired his head so that he wouldn't do it again, forcing him into the role of an inept comedy villain. Then she mindwiped Batman because he saw what she did. Then she mindwiped Catwoman to be nicer as a way to make Batman feel better. Then she mindwiped Flash villain the Top into being good, who in turn also mindwiped other Flash villains into doing the same. All of that exploded in her face over time.

This led to a sweet-rear end story by Grant Morrison called Seven Soldiers of Victory. It was 30 issues where the first and last were bookends and the other issues were split into 4-issue miniseries about seven different characters. The characters included the C-listers (Zatanna and Mr. Miracle) as well as the reimagined (Frankenstein, Guardian, Klarion the Witch Boy, Bulleteer and Shining Knight). The seven different miniseries would show the different characters fighting different aspects of the same major threat while never crossing paths until the end. All of them intertwined in really cool ways.

In Zatanna's story, she dealt with her problems with using magic too much for her own ends, including the mindwipe episodes. She ended up fighting against Zor, an evil magician who was meant to represent both writer Alan Moore and the idea of a comic book writer (or Time Tailor) going out of his way to poo poo up a superhero's life because darker = better. Against Zor, Zatanna was able to break through reality and reach out through the panels and towards the reader, wishing for forgiveness for all the bad things she's done. In a nice touch, she said she could feel thousands of pairs of eyes looking at her all at different times. The other Time Tailors (the other DC writers) saved her by removing Zor from the equation. During the story's big finale, Zatanna magically set all the players into the correct positions by shouting, "!EKIRTS SREIDLOS NEVES"

What I mean to say is that Grant Morrison's writing is loving weird, but also loving awesome.

Seven Soldiers also gave us the Frankenstein Monster as a grim, sword-swinging slayer of all that is wicked who works for a secret government organization and OH MY GOD WHY AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS EARTH WHO IS RALLYING FOR FRANKENSTEIN AS A DOWNLOADABLE CHARACTER FOR INJUSTICE WHAT THE gently caress?!

Anyway. Zatanna has remained a bit of a supporting character in the DC Universe since then, briefly being a member of the Justice League again and having a bit of a fling with Batman at one point. She had her own ongoing series that didn't last long, mainly because it's really, really hard to get behind a magic-based superhero. I mean, Superman has to actually punch a villain, easy as it is. It's hard to write a story where a magic-user doesn't just snap his or her fingers and wish the bad guy away.

That series was written by one Paul Dini and I suppose I should talk about him. Paul Dini is known for being one of the big wheels in the creation of Batman: The Animated Series and all of its spinoffs. Dini is also known for being a little TOO into Zatanna. Just off the top of my head:

- Did a Zatanna-centered episode of Batman despite her not really having much to do with him in the comics. Not that that's really a problem in itself, but he later went on to force a romantic relationship between the two when he was writing Detective Comics, going so far as to retcon in a childhood friendship. This was kind of weird because the main Batman book was playing up Bruce Wayne's relationship with then-girlfriend Jezebel Jet as being seriously serious.

- Before Zatanna had made a single appearance anywhere outside of comics, Paul Dini wrote an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures where recurring character Batduck was invited to join the Just Us League. This included an appearance of Fifi the Skunk as Scentanna, whose sole screen time was dedicated to having Hampton bust a pig nut over how hot she is.

- Dini married a Zatanna lookalike who is also a stage magician. Artist Alex Ross began using her as a model for whenever he'd include Zatanna in his realistic-looking comics.

Since New 52, Zatanna has appeared as a member of Justice League Dark, an offshoot team of magic users who take on mystical threats that the regular Justice League are ill-equipped to face themselves. The team includes the likes of John Constantine, Dead Man, Shade the Changing Man and FRANKENSTEIN WHO SHOULD BE IN INJUSTICE I SWEAR TO GOD GOD drat IT!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

For a while, Zatanna would usually team up with fellow magic user John Constantine, who she had an on-again-off-again relationship.

(...)

She ended up fighting against Zor, an evil magician who was meant to represent both writer Alan Moore and the idea of a comic book writer (or Time Tailor) going out of his way to poo poo up a superhero's life because darker = better.

Expanding on this, in a climactic Swamp Thing story, Alan Moore had Constantine gather other DC mystics, including Zatanna and Zatara so they could form a magic circle to help guide a war being waged by Heaven, Hell, Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, and god knows who else, against a primordial evil who was the dark opposite of the creator. This led to Zatara being quite literally fried by mystical feedback in front of his daughter's eyes, something Constantine knew very well might happen. She didn't take it well.

Oh Constantine, you're such a prick.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Gavok posted:

Seven Soldiers also gave us the Frankenstein Monster as a grim, sword-swinging slayer of all that is wicked who works for a secret government organization and OH MY GOD WHY AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS EARTH WHO IS RALLYING FOR FRANKENSTEIN AS A DOWNLOADABLE CHARACTER FOR INJUSTICE WHAT THE gently caress?!

This sold me on this Frankenstein and I know nothing about him. Well, at least nothing I can't assume with the name "Frankenstein."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Seven Soldiers also gave us the Frankenstein Monster as a grim, sword-swinging slayer of all that is wicked who works for a secret government organization

I believe that the bolded is older than that in DC. I forget how old, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unbound posted:

This sold me on this Frankenstein and I know nothing about him. Well, at least nothing I can't assume with the name "Frankenstein."

This is all you need to know.

Morrison originally wanted to use Martian Manhunter for this role, but since he wasn't allowed to use him he figured, to hell with it, let's use Frankenstein.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Dropping hope for Static Shock, taking up hope for Frankenstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Gavok posted:

Morrison originally wanted to use Martian Manhunter for this role, but since he wasn't allowed to use him he figured, to hell with it, let's use Frankenstein.

Hey, he had his own book and is still being featured in a third of DC's latest event!

(also i didnt know that can you please elaborate/link)

• Locked thread