Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an option to set how many lines it scrolls at a time? Just a shot in the dark, but worth a try. I've never heard of that kind of issue before.

What mouse are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

notZaar posted:

Is there an option to set how many lines it scrolls at a time? Just a shot in the dark, but worth a try. I've never heard of that kind of issue before.

What mouse are you using?

Microsoft Intellimouse Wireless 2.0

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I had that same issue with a Logitech mouse and I'm wracking my brain to remember what caused it. Alt-tabbing would alternately fix and break it, but I can't remember the root cause.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've had that problem with logitech mice if I set the mouse wheel to scroll anything other than 3 lines.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
This is not an ideal solution since it has to be done on a per game basis but here it goes
  • Open up the Microsoft mouse and keyboard center.
  • Go to basic settings for the mouse.
  • Click on Customize Wheel Behavior
  • Click on Identify programs that don't scroll correctly
  • Add the game to the list.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Really dumb question.

Just moved to a place that uses WiFi. Realized after the fact my PC doesn't have a wireless hookup, its always been wired, so I never bought one when I built it. Trying to search around for a decent external USB based wireless enabling device I can hook up to it, but now only have my phone to search, and no idea what terms to even look for.

Any ideas?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Wireless network adapter, USB wi-fi adapter, or just plain "wireless adapter"?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This is what I use https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ed=0CJ8BEPMCMA4

It's a pci card with an antenna on a wire. Works well, very cheap.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Chortles posted:

Wireless network adapter, USB wi-fi adapter, or just plain "wireless adapter"?

I honestly have no idea. The thing that lets my computer receive wireless internet.

Would prefer it to be a USB attache, since I'm not comfortable adding an internal device right now.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Makes sense, I'm just suggesting those as far as the search terms.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Rookersh posted:

I honestly have no idea. The thing that lets my computer receive wireless internet.

Would prefer it to be a USB attache, since I'm not comfortable adding an internal device right now.

They're all mostly the same. If you're on a tight budget Monoprice has some cut rate options. I'd strongly recommend getting one with proper antennas that attaches via USB cable rather than the thumbstick kind so you can maneuver it for reception.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've encountered a weird problem. When I play FPS games (I've tried several), and I try to use the scroll wheel to select my weapon, it goes through them all lighting fast. Now, I figured this was a scroll speed issue, so I went into my control panel, but the mouse scroll speed was on its second lowest setting. I turned it down anyways, and the weapon scrolling started going even faster. Figuring it might have a weird inverse relationship, I turned the scroll speed to max, but nope, weapon scrolling is still going even faster than before. I have no idea why this is. I've got the latest drivers for my mouse.

Not enough information about your mouse and whether you're using the manufacturers software or windows, it's probably your wheel scroll settings or if you have a mouse with a free scroll wheel set it to sticky when you're playing a game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JWMOOI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought one of these. It should work, right?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just installed Simcity 4+RH+NAM...but where did the huge thread go? :qq:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's still here. :confused: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537338

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Weird! The search results kept showing me the LP. Thanks though! I'm a dork.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
My little brother linked me to a CD key site with a game series I like being sold at a good price. I decided to look to see how trustworthy the site is (can a CD key reselling site be trustworthy?) and came across this;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/9150405/LloydsTelegraph-awards-reveal-the-best-British-entrepreneurs.html

quote:

Smith buys “authorisation keys” in bulk from the games’ publishers and resells them.

I thought CD key sites bought the games in bulk from a distributor, but this site buys the CD keys straight from the publisher netting a discount on the games since they are buying in bulk. He (the website owner) has also won awards from one of the largest UK banks and a broadsheet newspaper for what he has done with the website.

What he basically does is the same as Steam, Amazon, GMG etc., so what is it that makes his site bad? I get that the buying in bulk from cheap places combating piracy is bad (like most CD key websites do), but what makes this guys website bad? Or is it actually one of the trustworthy sites?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rule 2b for Games says not to talk about CD key sites.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I know, so I was careful not to name any CD key site (and The Telegraph doesn't link to the website) plus the site is from the UK anyway, which is where I'm from.

If the post still isn't cool though I'll drop it and not ask any more about it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I looked it up and it seems kinda legit? It's based in the UK and the only shady thing I can see at a short glance is selling opened boxes of PC games (presumably where they get some of the CD keys from) as "back-ups" to the CD key you've presumably already bought from them.

The main issue would be exactly where they're buying the CD keys from. If the article there is accurate and they're buying straight from the actual publisher there's no issue at all. If they're fudging the definition of "publisher" for the sake of the article and buying from a Russian or Chinese company that sells them at enormously lowered prices to combat piracy in the region and then reselling them again for profit, that would be an issue.

I would hope a news article would confirm the former independently but maybe not for a piece like that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see what the big deal is if the keys were purchased legally. If the publisher cares that much about regional pricing than they can just region lock their keys, it's not unheard of.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I guess most people heard the news John Carmack (of id Software fame) is going to be CTO over the development of the Occulus Rift peripheral?

It's too bad his rocket business didn't work out, but I'm somewhat selfishly glad he's getting involved in the Rift. He could help work out any remaining technical or engineering challenges, though I have read the OR is pretty good as it is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to get my hands on a production version of the OR. It looks so drat cool.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I use a cheap USB wifi adapter that works well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

notZaar posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on a production version of the OR. It looks so drat cool.

They often do, and then the cd key sites provide instructions on how to use VPN workarounds or in some really sketchy cases, offer services to log into your account and activate it for you.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Has anyone ever used a wireless HDMI solution to play games from a PC in another room on their television? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00630WKGI.

At this point my PC is more powerful than my PS3 so I figure I can get some mileage out of it instead of grabbing a PS4 right when it launches. I still have plenty of games on Steam that I'd like to play from my couch in the living room.

I can think of three options. Drag the tower out there (too much of a pain), run a HDMI cable from one to the other (potentially prohibitively difficult, since we rent and I can't put holes in things to run cables properly), or do something wireless. I imagine I can just get a bluetooth dongle for my PC and use one of my PS3 controllers.

The Wirecutter suggests that the lag with the wireless HDMI shouldn't be bad enough to affect playing games. I'd like to know if anyone has a setup like this, and how it works for them.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

ChetReckless posted:

Has anyone ever used a wireless HDMI solution to play games from a PC in another room on their television? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00630WKGI.

At this point my PC is more powerful than my PS3 so I figure I can get some mileage out of it instead of grabbing a PS4 right when it launches. I still have plenty of games on Steam that I'd like to play from my couch in the living room.

I can think of three options. Drag the tower out there (too much of a pain), run a HDMI cable from one to the other (potentially prohibitively difficult, since we rent and I can't put holes in things to run cables properly), or do something wireless. I imagine I can just get a bluetooth dongle for my PC and use one of my PS3 controllers.

The Wirecutter suggests that the lag with the wireless HDMI shouldn't be bad enough to affect playing games. I'd like to know if anyone has a setup like this, and how it works for them.

I was toying with the exact same issue. I'd love to just arrange my office and put a TV in there that I can use, haha.

Another option (other than the one you're mentioning) was to switch to a mATX case/board to make moving it around easier. It's in the same cost neighborhood.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've ended up just going the "drag my PC to the living room" route. I thought about running HDMI over cat6 or whatever so that I could leave my PC in the office but have its video going to my living room, but :effort: and also I don't know how I'd extend the signal of my wireless keyboard/mouse/gamepad in that scenario.

Basically I just told myself that for a few months I'm only going to be playing console-style games with a wireless 360 controller in the living room and so it's not as big a deal because I'm not lugging the computer around on a regular basis. Even so, it only really takes about 5 minutes to unplug it/move it/plug it back in thanks to HDMI, wifi and wireless keyboard/mouse/gamepad.

I would ultimately like to get a room set up with both a desk/monitor and a couch/TV where I could easily switch my PC between the two without moving it but I think that's going to require some salesmanship to get my wife to sign off on that idea.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 12, 2013

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Parker Lewis posted:

I've ended up just going the "drag my PC to the living room" route. I thought about running HDMI over cat6 or whatever so that I could leave my PC in the office but have its video going to my living room, but :effort: and also I don't know how I'd extend the signal of my wireless keyboard/mouse/gamepad in that scenario.

Basically I just told myself that for a few months I'm only going to be playing console-style games with a wireless 360 controller in the living room and so it's not as big a deal because I'm not lugging the computer around on a regular basis. Even so, it only really takes about 5 minutes to unplug it/move it/plug it back in thanks to HDMI, wifi and wireless keyboard/mouse/gamepad.

I would ultimately like to get a room set up with both a desk/monitor and a couch/TV where I could easily switch my PC between the two without moving it but I think that's going to require some salesmanship to get my wife to sign off on that idea.

Monoprice is having a 20% off HDMI cables sale right now, including the long RedMere ones. I've got a crazy scheme cooked up where I can run a cable through the basement using the existing holes for the floor vents, so no new holes. It'll take a lot more cable than it should, but the price is still better than trying to go wireless.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Here's a great video showing the new Xbone controller wich will work both on PC and console:

http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/08/12/an-insiders-look-at-the-xbox-one-controller

The improvements that matter the most to me is the new d-pad being a clean shaped plus and the fact that it works both as wired and as wireless pad. If you plug the cable the wireless part will be disabled and act like a fully wired one wich is awesome. I'm getting one as soon as they sell them.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So here's a crazy deal going on right now:

Humble Bundle coaxed EA into joining the party and they are currently offering a deal where EA collects none of it and everything either goes to charity or the Humble store.

Games up for grabs ($1 Minimum):
Dead Space™
Burnout™ Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Crysis® 2: Maximum Edition
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space™ 3
Medal of Honor™

and if you pay over the average (which is still under $5):
Battlefield 3™
The Sims™ 3 + Starter Pack

All come with Origin keys. Several come with Steam keys as well.
I know the Steam thread is covering this one but this is one of the best deals I've seen in quite some time, so figured could use some extra attention.

VVV- Also worth noting is that the ones that have Origin/Steam available are not mutually exclusive. You're basically getting 2 copies of each of those.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 14, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DS3, BF3 and Sims 3 are the only ones that require Origin. The other five have Steam keys.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.
Cross posting this from the steam thread since it got buried in humble bundle chat:

I feel like someone may have talked about this here before, but are there drivers out there for a wired xbox controller that are better than the default Microsoft drivers?

I have a weird problem where some emulators and games will recognize the my controllers differently. For example, MAME will call the player 1 controller Joystick 0, and sometimes it will recognize it as Joystick 1. Also, whenever two controllers are plugged in with Project 64, it believes that the player 2 controller is player 1. Same happens with Sleeping Dogs, if two controllers are plugged in, I have to use the second controller.

Thanks in advance.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So the wireless Xbox controller. Is there a replacement for the receiver? Mine died, and it looks like there are a bunch of receivers on Amazon with mixed reviews.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

monster on a stick posted:

So the wireless Xbox controller. Is there a replacement for the receiver? Mine died, and it looks like there are a bunch of receivers on Amazon with mixed reviews.

All the standalone receivers are cheap knockoffs and perform like cheap knockoffs. You can get first-party receivers, but only bundled with a controller. The key words to look for are "wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows" like this one--the controller is exactly the same, but the "for Windows" means it'll have an up-to-4-controller USB hub in the package. If you don't want another controller, you could probably resell it for $30-ish if you can convince someone that it's NIB.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Survarium looks awesome. I'm signed up for the alpha but nothing yet.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/30/zoned-out-eyes-on-with-survarium/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Male Man posted:

All the standalone receivers are cheap knockoffs and perform like cheap knockoffs. You can get first-party receivers, but only bundled with a controller. The key words to look for are "wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows" like this one--the controller is exactly the same, but the "for Windows" means it'll have an up-to-4-controller USB hub in the package. If you don't want another controller, you could probably resell it for $30-ish if you can convince someone that it's NIB.

Yeah, I can vouch for this. I got a knock off that worked great for a few months, but now drops connection constantly. I got a wired controller a ways back and it's been fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the Xbone controller and I hope it's Windows 8 compatible out of the box.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Is there a good way to clean underneath mouse buttons? My Logitech G300 has been double right-clicking whenever I try and hold down the button and I have no idea how I could get any cleaning done under there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is there a good way to clean underneath mouse buttons? My Logitech G300 has been double right-clicking whenever I try and hold down the button and I have no idea how I could get any cleaning done under there.

I don't have your model of mouse, but judging from my Logitech, the buttons are probably part of the top shell. Take all the screws out (some my be hidden under stickers and/or in a battery compartment) and the shell comes right off, exposing the circuitry (the switches are soldered onto the board) and letting you clean everything. Use gentle physical methods if you can. If there's oil buildup make a solution of water with a very slight amount of dish detergent, dampen a q-tip and apply carefully. Make sure everything's dry before you reassemble.

• Locked thread