Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I started a CK2+ game as Matilda of Tuscany with the intent of eventually forming Italy and breaking off... Then the pope excommunicated the Emperor and gave me a claim, at which point the Emperor immediately got in a massive war with France.
So, this game didn't go the direction I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Zurai posted:

That's fair enough I guess, but my complaint was really just the more general "why do mod authors change things unrelated to their mod and then not even document it". Even then, this was just irritating, and wouldn't even have been all that irritating if it wasn't compounded by my lack of internet.

Indecisive posted:

gently caress you, changing the end date is really stupid and doesn't belong in that mod
Isn't Better Armies made for CK2+ exclusively? Why would it document a feature of its parent mod?

The converted save won't be starting in 1453 anyway. It'll wind back time to 1444 regardless of your having a couple more decades of progress. It literally does not matter since your properly ended game is already at the wrong date.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Indecisive posted:

gently caress you, changing the end date is really stupid and doesn't belong in that mod

You're crazy man. You want the game to end at 1453 like usual, or at 1444? Have autosaves on yearly, load up your autosave at those years, resign, and marvel at the stats of the endgame screen.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Guys, I'm pretty sure Indecisive was making fun of Zurai.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Walliard posted:

Let's see how much crazier this can get in 16 years.

Not much, as it turns out. Iberia is still a patchwork mess, Timurids are starting to show cracks, and the Golden Horde exploded but still managed to hold Wallachia. Should make for an interesting scenario though, at least if I do some touch-ups myself.

Also there's this guy:

Turns out the Khagan of the not-quite-dead Ilkhanate is also the Shia Caliph. His realm consists of 3 baronies in the Caucasus.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...I would like some help, but am unsure of even how I should ask. I'm still(I THINK-that's half the trouble) having trouble with that one file(And thus the game's unplayable, given in-game I'm not allowed to re-install The Old Gods), but I can't tell what the problem is. Posting the whole file feels like poor form, though. The only good thing is that the Validator isn't complaining about parsing anymore.

But I'm still stuck with blank pop-ups.

I'm tempted to just ask for a 'fresh' Adventures_the_old_gods file. But that's probably wrong as well.

The whole thing's embarrassing and frustrating.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 8, 2013

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does CK2+ not include the Coastal county conquest CB for Norse pagans?

Do you need to be bordering them?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 8, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

WilliamAnderson posted:

You're crazy man. You want the game to end at 1453 like usual, or at 1444? Have autosaves on yearly, load up your autosave at those years, resign, and marvel at the stats of the endgame screen.

HOLD ONTO YOUR loving BALLS there's a way to make the game keep all autosaves instead of overwriting them? GIMME

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
My CK2 -> EU4 game in which I plan to form a Sunni Russia is to an interesting start. Usually Rurik's dynasty dies out right from the start, but this time he not only managed to form Rus but to do this:

The result is here:

I'm those Kryvians over there. It seems like becoming Rus isn't as easy as expected. I might have to form Lithuania first or go for Ruthenia.

That's not a problem though, since look at my heir. :smug:

He'll die of natural causes at the age of 21 you say? Well look at his siblings: he has three brothers, and every one of them is a genius. This is the luckiest I've had with the RNG. Sure, my character is designed (I told my girlfriend to come up with something I'd play with through the whole game, seems more fun than picking something pre-existing), but he's not genius. His wife however is. At the beginning of the game she held a single temple somewhere in Great Moravia and her stats were amazing. And all our four sons came out geniuses as well.

Then Great Moravia converted Catholic and all the vassals did as well, my wife included. She came to my court after that. This woman led her religious community and is a towering intellect. Then Catholicism came along and she was brushed aside. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My Emperor of Scandinavia married a genius, they had six children and none of them were geniuses. :smith:

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
Been playing the AGOT mod today as the Targaryens sitting on the Iron Throne. I'm having a rather ridiculous game when it comes to loyalty. My Kingsguard has joined in on almost every single revolt against the crown I've had, which means that the vast majority of my Lord Commanders have ended their careers on the chopping block or the wall. I forgot how much of a pain it can be to try to hold all the kingdoms together, especially when you have family members with dragons who want your throne. :(

I really need to get a psycho on the throne so I can go on a rampage. :D

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rurik posted:

He'll die of natural causes at the age of 21 you say? Well look at his siblings: he has three brothers, and every one of them is a genius. This is the luckiest I've had with the RNG. Sure, my character is designed (I told my girlfriend to come up with something I'd play with through the whole game, seems more fun than picking something pre-existing), but he's not genius. His wife however is. At the beginning of the game she held a single temple somewhere in Great Moravia and her stats were amazing. And all our four sons came out geniuses as well.

I'm pretty sure my guy married the same genius priestess. She gave me two non-genius daughters and then I had to assassinate her because she plotted to kill my only surviving son, and since she had her temple elsewhere she wouldn't just accept to end the plot :smith:

Also reiterating because this is of the utmost importance:

NihilCredo posted:

HOLD ONTO YOUR loving BALLS there's a way to make the game keep all autosaves instead of overwriting them? GIMME

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I wonder what happens if you convert a savegame where you have ended the catholic/orthodox schism, should be interesting to say the least since it affects the entire game world. I feel that the decision to end the schism really sucks in CK2 since all it did when I tried it first was to make Catholicism a heresy of Orthodoxy, does anyone know if it actually does anything else? Does it have any positive effects at all for anyone? I'll end the schism just to produce a convertible save anyway but I will not continue playing after that.

Edit: I thought ending the schism would create a "new" christian religion that everyone followed instead of Orthodoxy and Catholicism, now that would have been cool.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 8, 2013

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My high chief just gained the title of "the Upright". I've never seen that one before. What are the conditions to that nickname?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Lareine posted:

My high chief just gained the title of "the Upright". I've never seen that one before. What are the conditions to that nickname?

It doesn't seem to be in this handy list (http://ckiiwiki.com/Nicknames) so I can only guess it has something to do with being just/chairbound.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lareine posted:

Tetanus. Probably Just and a boatload of piety or something.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lareine posted:

That nickname is not in the base game so you must be playing some mod. Check the mods "common\nicknames" folder for a file with all nicknames and the conditions for getting it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm playing with CK2+ and all the DLC except for Sunset Invasion.

edit: Found it. Have to have the traits Just, Honest and Charitable. Guy's a nice dude.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 8, 2013

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Lareine posted:

I'm playing with CK2+ and all the DLC except for Sunset Invasion.

edit: Found it. Have to have the traits Just, Honest and Charitable. Guy's a nice dude.

You could say he is...upright :haw:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Zurai posted:

That's fair enough I guess, but my complaint was really just the more general "why do mod authors change things unrelated to their mod and then not even document it". Even then, this was just irritating, and wouldn't even have been all that irritating if it wasn't compounded by my lack of internet.

For what it's worth I 100% agree. Modders adding in feature creep that don't belong in their remit can be pretty annoying, having an original end date that provides some form of closure changed by a mod which changes armies is retarded and pointless - you are right to complain. On a broadly related note, I've recently asked the modder of VIET to roll back on a change which just stopped mercenaries forming states of their own, period. Because he's a super cool guy he agreed to add an option in the game to disable it, but it does show that modders can get a little bit over zealous about changes, which is totally understandable but still annoying for those of us who enjoy the fruits of their labours without lifting a finger.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CK2 modders seem nice, not like those insane perverts who make Skyrim mods. I remember that Open Cities mod where the guy added lovely looking oblivion gates everywhere and flipped his poo poo when someone modded his mod to remove them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bloodly posted:

...I would like some help, but am unsure of even how I should ask. I'm still(I THINK-that's half the trouble) having trouble with that one file(And thus the game's unplayable, given in-game I'm not allowed to re-install The Old Gods), but I can't tell what the problem is. Posting the whole file feels like poor form, though. The only good thing is that the Validator isn't complaining about parsing anymore.

But I'm still stuck with blank pop-ups.

I'm tempted to just ask for a 'fresh' Adventures_the_old_gods file. But that's probably wrong as well.

The whole thing's embarrassing and frustrating.

I'd be happy to take a look if you uploaded your mod. Can't guarantee I'll be able to find the issue but can give it a try. At the very least I can try loading it up myself and seeing whether it's a an underlying game file or a file from the mod that's loving things up

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So I've got the 1.103 patch, but I'm not seeing any "invite all plotters" button. Where is it?

EDIT: Woops. I'd misread. Ignore this!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has there been any information on how the converter will handle religion? In my current game the vile mohammedans have unified Iberia, conquered Aquitaine, and pushed the Byzantine Empire into Croatia. Will their unconverted provinces stay unconverted after the conversion, or will they be turned Islamic (Sunni to be precise) as a way to streamline things?

I am actually pretty happy with how my game turned out, religiously speaking. Catholicism is under siege; it will be fun playing a game where the Catholics are on the defensive for once. Islam controls the east and the west, while Norse remains strong in Scandinavia and the Slavs are running the show in Eastern Europe. Not too shabby!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

marktheando posted:

CK2 modders seem nice, not like those insane perverts who make Skyrim mods. I remember that Open Cities mod where the guy added lovely looking oblivion gates everywhere and flipped his poo poo when someone modded his mod to remove them.

Different games, different vices. Remember, Ubik, Lord and True Master of the Clausewitz engine, was the modder of one of the biggest mods in EU3's history.

The tendency of bad modders in Paradox games tends to be more of the "nutso-ultra-nationalist" kind rather than "sex offender", but being extremely spergy about cultures and/or mechanics, even by historical gaming standards, is a common thing.

EDIT: ugh, SaltyBets is stealing my attention to good writing

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 8, 2013

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has there been any information on how the converter will handle religion? In my current game the vile mohammedans have unified Iberia, conquered Aquitaine, and pushed the Byzantine Empire into Croatia. Will their unconverted provinces stay unconverted after the conversion, or will they be turned Islamic (Sunni to be precise) as a way to streamline things?

I am actually pretty happy with how my game turned out, religiously speaking. Catholicism is under siege; it will be fun playing a game where the Catholics are on the defensive for once. Islam controls the east and the west, while Norse remains strong in Scandinavia and the Slavs are running the show in Eastern Europe. Not too shabby!

I couldn't find an answer to this in the Q&A they did but they did say this:

quote:

How does the converter decide which Europa Universalis IV tech group to stick you in?

Various factors decide what tech group you are in. For instance Muslims get the Muslim tech group, but if they conquer large parts of Europe they will become the Ottoman tech group. If you are Ottoman in Crusader Kings II, then of course you will get the Ottoman tech group. Then you have the pagans. They will become Eastern unless you manage to do large technological advancements before the game is converted.

Which sounds to me like they make your entire EUIV realm the same culture as the holder of said realm is in CK2, which probably (I'm just guessing) means that the provinces will also be converted.
Edit: Or I have misunderstood the whole thing, take your pick.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Different games, different vices. Remember, Ubik, Lord and True Master of the Clausewitz engine, was the modder of one of the biggest mods in EU3's history.

The tendency of bad modders in Paradox games tends to be more of the "nutso-ultra-nationalist" kind rather than "sex offender", but being extremely spergy about cultures and/or mechanics, even by historical gaming standards.

Yes, my views of CK2 modders are probably warped by me almost never reading the paradox forums and just reading this thread instead.

Still I will never understand modders who get angry at others using their work, when they themselves are using the developers work. It's something I appreciate about Wiz, he always seemed to welcome others using CK2+ in their own mods.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Isn't Better Armies made for CK2+ exclusively? Why would it document a feature of its parent mod?

There's a version of it for non-CK2+ and my understanding of the situation is that it was made independently first and then later on rolled into CK2+.

Again, it isn't/wasn't a big deal. It was irritating to find out in the circumstances I did, that's all.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I'd love to do that except the game only keeps the most recent 3 autosaves. Since I've already said I was without internet and unsure what the actual end date was, I blew way past 1453. It turns out my closest hard saves are 1400 and 1474 (After 1453 ended, I wondered if maybe I had mis-remembered the end date and it was really 1473). I still havn't decided whether to re-play the final 50 years or just import from '74, which isn't too far from what I was aiming for and would save me lots of hassle dealing with Nestorian rebellions that my vassal kings wouldn't deal with every 10 seconds.

Anyway, interesting thing about that game was the way the non-Roman Empire borders ended up: 100% de jure Mali (and the Mali/Rome border was by far the most stable in the entire game, lasting over 300 years with absolutely no wars) and almost 100% de jure Wendish and Scandinavian Empires. Technically it was Lithuanian Empire instead of Wendish, but the borders were virtually identical at 1453.

As for me, I conquered most of Imperial Reconquest CB Roman lands and married my way to the thrones of the Empire of Britannia and the Ilkhanate (!) who had conquered the Golden Horde as well as all of Russia. The 1400 save actually has a Mongol Roman Empress. I was going to leave the Ilkhanate be for more interesting EU4 dynamics, but then they converted to Orthodoxy and I couldn't resist. I'll probably just end up using this save as a training wheels run in EU4 if it does convert.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Zurai posted:

There's a version of it for non-CK2+ and my understanding of the situation is that it was made independently first and then later on rolled into CK2+.

Again, it isn't/wasn't a big deal. It was irritating to find out in the circumstances I did, that's all.

FYI it also adds 66 years of playable game-time from 1000 to 1066. Just making sure you're aware.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zurai posted:

I'd love to do that except the game only keeps the most recent 3 autosaves. Since I've already said I was without internet and unsure what the actual end date was, I blew way past 1453. It turns out my closest hard saves are 1400 and 1474 (After 1453 ended, I wondered if maybe I had mis-remembered the end date and it was really 1473). I still havn't decided whether to re-play the final 50 years or just import from '74, which isn't too far from what I was aiming for and would save me lots of hassle dealing with Nestorian rebellions that my vassal kings wouldn't deal with every 10 seconds.
Or, you could import from '74 and just change the start date in the EU4 to 1474. Might want to add a tech level to some/most countries if appropriate, then you're good to go.

In general, I expect that most people who actually convert a save will end up doing some manual tweaking to the resulting text files anyway. Which is fine, since the point of a converter is more to save yourself the tedium of individually setting up every single province. Readjusting border provinces or tech levels only where they "stick out" as wrong should be a lot less of a pain, and perhaps even fun.

And gosh, since WilliamAnderson mentioned it I've now been itching for some persistent autosave feature :(

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Beamed posted:

Click "Search All/Realm/etc." again and it refreshes. :)

:aaa: Awesome, thanks!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any way to use a CB against a non-independent Duke? Specifically, I'd like to seize tradeposts from Genoa or Croatia but they're ruled by Italy and Byzanty, respectively. The Seize Tradepost CB doesn't transfer to their liege, for some reason.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Is there a recent/updated guide somewhere?

I'm not a beginner (~117 hours in so far) but I've been playing the game on a fairly basic level. I'd like to up my game a bit and learn the details of some of the mechanics and pick up some more advanced tactics, but most of the guides/wikis are way out of date and the mechanics have changed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NihilCredo posted:

Or, you could import from '74 and just change the start date in the EU4 to 1474. Might want to add a tech level to some/most countries if appropriate, then you're good to go.

Since most of the converter data is in .txt files like the game, I expect that there's a field "Exported Date: 1444" that you can change to whatever you please.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Is there an alternative link to download CK2+? I made an account on the forums but can't seem to access the section to download the newest version of the mod.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

GrossMurpel posted:

Is there any way to use a CB against a non-independent Duke? Specifically, I'd like to seize tradeposts from Genoa or Croatia but they're ruled by Italy and Byzanty, respectively. The Seize Tradepost CB doesn't transfer to their liege, for some reason.

No, but you can declare the embargo CB on the liege, then build your own tradeposts where the old ones used to be.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Is there an alternative link to download CK2+? I made an account on the forums but can't seem to access the section to download the newest version of the mod.

You need to register Crusader Kings II in your forum profile to be able to access to CKII area.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Is there a recent/updated guide somewhere?

I'm not a beginner (~117 hours in so far) but I've been playing the game on a fairly basic level. I'd like to up my game a bit and learn the details of some of the mechanics and pick up some more advanced tactics, but most of the guides/wikis are way out of date and the mechanics have changed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664 There you go.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

You need to open "My Games" and register your copy of CK2 to access the modding section. It's Paradox's queer form of DRM.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does CK2+ really neuter Norse or something? I'm finding them hard to have fun with, while at the same time am also reading in this thread how awesomely fun Norse are. Its bemusing. To me they seem like a really weak faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Playing norse has made me love CK2 again, but I'm not playing CK2+ so I don't know what has been changed. I'm a mother fuckin' norse merchant republic. I will build trade posts in your coastal provinces to make me money and if that's not enough I will load up my clown boats and just take your poo poo. I will take your nobles when I raid your cities and castles and then hang them to generate massive amounts of prestige and piety while my vassals get drunk and gently caress and feast at a huge party that makes everyone love me and my armies fight better. Then I'll give some Aztecs my viking boats so they can destroy western europe later.

• Locked thread