Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Challenge has been showing episodes of Fun House too. What a pile of shite, the game props were obviously constructed out of papier mâché, it takes loving years to get into the fun house itself, the obviously excruciatingly embarrassed cheerleaders are forced to plunge their hands into goo while smiling manically, and all the prizes are like "glass engraving set" and "leather briefcase" (every child's wildest desire). I used to genuinely enjoy this as a child. I feel ashamed of myself.

It's okay, you don't have to renounce your childhood.

I suspect the long introduction from Isy was because the team died a bit too soon for a half-hour episode. Also, if you look, the dungeoneer clearly didn't make the very first jump, but they obscured it and let him get away with it. But shh, don't tell Ofcom :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The way I see Doctor Who is that its a show that has a premise so broad that it can pretty much tell any kind of story it wants. And at the moment it aims to deliver imaginative adventures every week and will often do so without embracing cynicism.

So in that respect I find it hard to dislike. Even when it does the big cheesy "everything has been saved by the power of love!" I can't help but enjoy every second of it because its unashamed to be sincere about it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Knightmare remake was pretty good, not perfect. They really should have got the same sound effects like the Goblin horn and "swoosh" between rooms, and it was a little too simple. I think the "clue room" only had two items for them to take, they didn't even leave an extra red herring for them to take (perhaps, a literal red fish). But it was good fun and I'd love to see a whole series like that, with younger contestants of course.

Some parts were just shambles though, like Isy having to squeeze past the back of the bench. Aw-kward!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Squalitude posted:

I think the "clue room" only had two items for them to take, they didn't even leave an extra red herring for them to take (perhaps, a literal red fish).

Well, there was that bottle with the key and the jester's ball thing. It was just never mentioned at all after Ashens said it was there, so it was pretty easy to forget. Not much, but it was something at least?

Also, I thought it was somewhat enjoyable on the whole but the editting near the end was just awful.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Challenge has been showing episodes of Fun House too. What a pile of shite, the game props were obviously constructed out of papier mâché, it takes loving years to get into the fun house itself, the obviously excruciatingly embarrassed cheerleaders are forced to plunge their hands into goo while smiling manically, and all the prizes are like "glass engraving set" and "leather briefcase" (every child's wildest desire). I used to genuinely enjoy this as a child. I feel ashamed of myself.

I spent some time watching clips of 90s gameshows of various varieties on youtube recently, and gently caress me that was weird. The obsession with gunge especially, i wonder if it was a secret cabal of producers who had a particular fetish for it.

I've vague memories of being in a studio audience for a recording of funhouse and having no clue what was going on and frankly disliking the whole experience. What is Pat Sharp up to now anyway? I know i could google it but I'm sort of afraid of what I might find.

Has operation yewtree caught up with any 90s gameshow hosts or producers yet?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

UnquietDream posted:

Sci-fi at its best comments on the human condition by obfuscating present issues with the lens of the future and fantastic technology that can achieve things that we can't. These shiny bright things allow you to watch an episode about race relations without it being an episode explicitly about race relations. This means it can be eminently watchable, after all it's a fictional show, not a sermon on how treating X group badly is a bad thing. However like most sci-fi the bright spots are often surrounded by a lot of either poo poo stuff or painfully mediocre crap. Even the best sci-fi writers tend to have some sort of flaw with their work, Asimov's characters aren't anything special, Orson Scott Card is a straight up hateful moron, Philip K. Dick's plots tend to be a little predictable in their unpredictability and so on.

To compound that Doctor Who has been running a long rear end time so even with an OK writer you have a bunch of problems in terms of making things new and exciting, the obvious and most fundamentally stupid idea is to increase the threat that the Doctor has to deal with. Which is why you had RTD's first series finale Doctor Who involving future Earth being threatened by the Daleks, next season it was two Earths are threatened, next it was the Universe (because that's the obvious progression see), then you have something about black hole missiles (not really remembering this one), finally at the end of RTD's run it was ALL UNIVERSES EVERYWHERE THROUGHOUT TIME AND SPACE.

The current show-runner Moffat has his own host of problems that you can pretty much find quite easily (he writes terrible female characters and holds rather dated views on women in general) but people like him because occasionally you get a good scene or episode and there isn't the whole family drama that occurred in RTDs run.

Yeah, I get that. I was just commenting on how odd I find it that the central character is such a contrast in terms of quality to literally everything else that is happening. David Tennant particularly was just excellent throughout, despite the poor quality of the stories themselves. I want something more consistent, though I wonder whether a wholly mediocre show would be better or worse than the current weird contrast we have.

Also, just gently caress the constant feelgood messages and 'OH YOU HUMANS ARE SO GREAT' poo poo. I'm sick of the power of love solving everything and the bad monster just being a bit sad because it lost its wife and whatever. It's just boring. That episode with the sun that they killed with happy feelings or whatever it was might be one of the most frustrating things I've ever seen - a really impressive buildup followed by, well, poo poo. And let's not mention that you've somehow 'saved' a solar system by extinguishing its star; let's not worry about that one too much. That christmas episode that literally (as in actually literally) ended up killing the bad guy because 'nothing is sadder than a whole family crying on Christmas eve' or something - just gently caress right off and die and go look at Sudan. I mean, the doctor's supposed to be a timeless space deity thing and he somehow subscribes to Christian holidays? Just ugh.

The frustrating thing is that you do get the occasional really good episode. Some of the bits with the Master were excellent (maybe because John Simm is just great), and that one episode with the multiple time stream hospital thing was excellent too. It just SHOULD be so much better than it is. They tend to have a lot of relatively well respected actors making appearances and despite the writer's flaws they do have some good work in them. The Children of Earth Torchwood series by RTD was absolutely amazing and is exactly what I'd want the majority of Dr. Who to be like, and even the more recent one where no-one could die (I forget the name) was pretty decent despite a terrible ending.

One last thing - they need to stop pandering to American audiences. That cowboy themed episode was a pile of shite along with most of the series it was a part of.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HERAK posted:

I spent some time watching clips of 90s gameshows of various varieties on youtube recently, and gently caress me that was weird. The obsession with gunge especially, i wonder if it was a secret cabal of producers who had a particular fetish for it.

I've vague memories of being in a studio audience for a recording of funhouse and having no clue what was going on and frankly disliking the whole experience. What is Pat Sharp up to now anyway? I know i could google it but I'm sort of afraid of what I might find.

Has operation yewtree caught up with any 90s gameshow hosts or producers yet?

Rolf Harris today is again under scrutiny for the 2nd time this year.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Veotax posted:

Huh, they've brought back Knightmare for YouTube's Geek Week. With 20-something YouTube nerds rather than kids playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74r-EbIqt9s

I've always hated how TV has dealt with 'computer stuff' type programmes. It would never be as good as playing games in itself. I remember when saturday morning kid's TV had 'games' where the player shouted instructions down a phone line. It was just as clumsy and cringeworthy to watch.

Then you have Gamesmaster where randoms were pulled off the street, sometimes competing with celebrities who were just as woefully incompetent at playing the games as they were. And we were treated to something akin to San Marino vs Tonga international football. I pretty much gave up on game related TV after that.

I suppose it was the times where games were not as mass market as they are now. I still never really saw any programming where you'd see anything worth watching. Not that I've looked for it mind. Fill me in if I've missed something.

I guess what I've always wanted to see in such a programme is what you may find on YouTube nowadays where they cover competitions for [insert game which lots of people play so the best are at a high level] so it's like watching the World Cup or F1. I'll resign myself to thinking that it's not mass media enough if broadcast TV won't cover it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could always move to Korea and watch competitive Starcraft tv.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

goatface posted:

Bring back Total War BBC 2 edition please, that was some fantastic television watching.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

HERAK posted:

He's been doing mostly radio work for Smooth Radio and a station for expats in Thailand, and in 2012 was battered with a baseball bat and burnt alive in a music video for the band Shinies

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

UnquietDream posted:

Bring back Total War BBC 2 edition please, that was some fantastic television watching.

Seriously, Another series with Time Commanders.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

goatface posted:

I had heard about that. I would welcome a game as a national sport, of sorts, but that's just me. Not really been too into starcraft, nor would I move somewhere to watch something that I could find a stream of from here.

UnquietDream posted:

Nice catch, thanks for the reminder. One of the better efforts as RTS is better paced for verbal commands. Also had the added bonus of covering military history, sort of. That American lad they had as the history expert was a lecturer at Sandhurst. Last I heard, he's now a she.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I thought 8 Out of Ten Cats Does Countdown would never work as a proper show, but now I think it does. What with Jimmy Carr and his kitten wrangling last week, and everyone dying of laughter this week thanks to Sean Lock, it's very funny.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

McDragon posted:

I thought 8 Out of Ten Cats Does Countdown would never work as a proper show, but now I think it does. What with Jimmy Carr and his kitten wrangling last week, and everyone dying of laughter this week thanks to Sean Lock, it's very funny.

Jimmy properly losing it at Sean was amazing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Gorn Myson posted:

The way I see Doctor Who is that its a show that has a premise so broad that it can pretty much tell any kind of story it wants. And at the moment it aims to deliver imaginative adventures every week and will often do so without embracing cynicism.

Which is why it's ripe to get slated in its current state.

For a show that has the ability to tell any story, it seems to spend an extraordinary amount of time either on Earth, or dealing with aliens that have very thinly veiled human issues.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

VogeGandire posted:

Jimmy properly losing it at Sean was amazing.

For some reason Joe Wilkinson turning the 8 on its side to make infinity made me lose it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Chunk5 posted:

I've always hated how TV has dealt with 'computer stuff' type programmes. It would never be as good as playing games in itself. I remember when saturday morning kid's TV had 'games' where the player shouted instructions down a phone line. It was just as clumsy and cringeworthy to watch.

Then you have Gamesmaster where randoms were pulled off the street, sometimes competing with celebrities who were just as woefully incompetent at playing the games as they were. And we were treated to something akin to San Marino vs Tonga international football. I pretty much gave up on game related TV after that.

I suppose it was the times where games were not as mass market as they are now. I still never really saw any programming where you'd see anything worth watching. Not that I've looked for it mind. Fill me in if I've missed something.

I guess what I've always wanted to see in such a programme is what you may find on YouTube nowadays where they cover competitions for [insert game which lots of people play so the best are at a high level] so it's like watching the World Cup or F1. I'll resign myself to thinking that it's not mass media enough if broadcast TV won't cover it.

Video games should never be on tv, they are banished to the internet for a reason.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chunk5 posted:

Oh oh oh oh oh oh, you didn't see the shitacular GAmezville that used to be on Sky 1 in the mornings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_b7TTV1QPY

This is what killed games TV programs. It has every cliche in the yoof TV playbook, with fake bro presenters, lovely gimmick characters like the 'Game Guru', and trash talking by 10 year olds before each game round.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god, that rubbish. I blocked that out, 13 year old me why did you try and watch that :gonk:.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
Bits tried to do something different where it came to gamers, but I'm about 4 pages behind the 'I miss 4Later' chat.

E. 4Later bits, not the watered down Saturday morning version they also did.

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 6, 2013

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Had this in my head all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdaK4doGTg

I thought the theme was faster, and the cat was more ginger and wore sunglasses.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Oh oh oh oh oh oh, you didn't see the shitacular GAmezville that used to be on Sky 1 in the mornings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_b7TTV1QPY

This is what killed games TV programs. It has every cliche in the yoof TV playbook, with fake bro presenters, lovely gimmick characters like the 'Game Guru', and trash talking by 10 year olds before each game round.

No, looks like I dodged a bullet there.

But poo poo, it's all coming back now. You've reminded me of Bad Influence! This clip was around the time when we transitioned from 2D to 3D graphics. Look! There's an imported Sega Saturn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2E60UWtzVI
This is the first attempt at proper games journalism on TV. It came out around the same time as Edge magazine, the first attempt at proper games journalism in print. I started my first job in the games industry at the time and we did take it seriously as it was watched on the office telly. Most of us lusted after Violet Berlin, in all her lispy glory. It was rather sad but we all wanted to meet her at trade shows.

Looking back, this one wasn't too bad. The only cringeworthy thing was how over-enthusiastic children's TV presenters were chosen to present it, but the content was pretty decent. There was no internet to speak of (bulletin boards excepted) so it was a decent source for games news where you got to see the games in action. Also there was the odd piece of Japan worship as it was the Mecca for games in the 80s-90s (you might argue that it still is).

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Bad influence was at least interesting in that it showed off more than just games and went into the other things that computers can do as well.

But out of them all, I did like Bits, but I think that's because I had a bit of a thing for Aleks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Chunk5 posted:

No, looks like I dodged a bullet there.

But poo poo, it's all coming back now. You've reminded me of Bad Influence! This clip was around the time when we transitioned from 2D to 3D graphics. Look! There's an imported Sega Saturn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2E60UWtzVI
This is the first attempt at proper games journalism on TV. It came out around the same time as Edge magazine, the first attempt at proper games journalism in print. I started my first job in the games industry at the time and we did take it seriously as it was watched on the office telly. Most of us lusted after Violet Berlin, in all her lispy glory. It was rather sad but we all wanted to meet her at trade shows.

Looking back, this one wasn't too bad. The only cringeworthy thing was how over-enthusiastic children's TV presenters were chosen to present it, but the content was pretty decent. There was no internet to speak of (bulletin boards excepted) so it was a decent source for games news where you got to see the games in action. Also there was the odd piece of Japan worship as it was the Mecca for games in the 80s-90s (you might argue that it still is).

All of these TV shows just remind me of an era where games media/journalism wasn't just focussed around telling you how poo poo hot awesome every AAA game is and acting as a mouthpiece for developer/publisher PR.

Sure the reviews of games on these shows weren't that in depth or whatever but at least it was due to inexperience/amateurism rather than corruption.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does anybody else remember that programme that had a 'data blast' at the end and the idea was that you taped it then rewound and paused it to read pages of text?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pissflaps posted:

Does anybody else remember that programme that had a 'data blast' at the end and the idea was that you taped it then rewound and paused it to read pages of text?

Bad Influence. Looks like someone put the series on YouTube.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Finally I will find out what it said.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pissflaps posted:

Finally I will find out what it said.

And you can beat Zool at last!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

How 2 had this mate

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I was pretty good with the old pause button and tracking knob back in the day but I never did tape these data blasts.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

I was pretty good with the old pause button and tracking knob back in the day but I never did tape these data blasts.

When ITV did that retro day we watched the How 2 episode and slowly went through the credits, I tell you what, that was a real fun time in the Taff household.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
Does anyone remember Cyberzone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzF56tGYSg
http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Cyberzone

Or am I really showing my age now?!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's weird watching the BBC's The Net, especially when you consider it's nearly 20 years old now, and started when the internet was all new and exciting. Lots of bad hair and terrible shirts, too.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

lazyjane posted:

Does anyone remember Cyberzone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzF56tGYSg
http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Cyberzone

Or am I really showing my age now?!

Indeed I do.
This was pretty much saturation point for Craig Charles. He was on 4 different shows a week for several months back then I believe. Cyberzone, Red Dwarf, he was stand in host for Wogan on his chat show and one other show I can't remember.
The Girlie Show(Anyone remember that one now?) gave him the dubious honour of 'Wanker of the Week' two weeks in a row, I recall. Then the wheels all came off for him, he was accused of rape and his marriage broke down. His rape trial was the reason for the long gap between series 6 and 7 of Red Dwarf.
Anyway back to Cyberzone, was there a trend for fat old men to portray intelligent AI back then?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

All of these TV shows just remind me of an era where games media/journalism wasn't just focussed around telling you how poo poo hot awesome every AAA game is and acting as a mouthpiece for developer/publisher PR.

Sure the reviews of games on these shows weren't that in depth or whatever but at least it was due to inexperience/amateurism rather than corruption.

Nah games journalism was as poo poo back then as it is now, just look at the whole Rise of the Robots fiasco. The corruption was if anything even more overt.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ultrabindu posted:

one other show I can't remember.

Robot Wars, most likely. That's the only thing I remember him from other than Red Dwarf, Takeshi's Castle and Coronation Street.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.

ultrabindu posted:

and one other show I can't remember.

Captain Butler perhaps?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

marktheando posted:

Nah games journalism was as poo poo back then as it is now, just look at the whole Rise of the Robots fiasco. The corruption was if anything even more overt.

What Rise of the Robots Fiasco? Wikipedia says that they tried to sneak it out by giving out review copies really close to the launch date, but that it got utterly slated in the games media. (unless you mean CAVG)

These days publishers still do that and "top" games journalism still give them rave reviews because they won't get any other games from them.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Anybody been watching that Southcliffe on channel 4 then? Its about a spree shooting in a fictional village and I'm finding it to be a really well directed drama, though with a bit too many slow pans across moors and that sort of thing.