Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
That baseball game is out in Japan: Darumeshi Sports-ten.
It's free to download, and then you buy mini-games within for real money.

It's about a hard-luck owner of a sports shop who invested in a new virtual game system (Hontendo 4DS) and a bunch of baseball games. After some chatting, he gives you a game system and expects you to buy his baseball games. (Check out the site: There are videos of all the included games.)

Each game is priced 400 yen (4 bucks thereabouts), but you can barter him down using items and your negotiating skills.
The first game can be reduced to half the price, but if you're not the haggling type, you can buy it right away at the full price. If you screw up in negotiations, he can go back on discounts, though.
The first batting game is really simple: Just tap the A Button and smack balls tossed your way. They change timing and trajectory to screw you up. (It's kind of like Rhythm Heaven, at least the batting and fielding games.)
To advance through the story, you need to buy a mini-game, though (one chapter a game).

The first batting game has 50 stages (ten variations in two sets of five with five levels of difficulty each). By advancing and by just playing repeatedly, one earns items and discount coupons for haggling down prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U) coming August 15; apparently they're not doing the NFC thing at all in Europe? Why even bother?

I have to ask, what does the NFC thing actually bring to the table? Are the figurines insanely powerful units? Because in the past games you recruited Pokemon Toys by the truckload.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The NFC units can be buffed/customised to a much higher degree than the standard units, plus you can save 'em back to the figurine and take it to your friend's place or whatever, but these games are all so shallow that I can't imagine it's worth bothering with. There are no toys you can't unlock on your own and it sounds like NOE is gonna distribute most of the NFC versions digitally via promo codes or something.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

That baseball game is out in Japan: Darumeshi Sports-ten.

Thanks for the writeup. I wonder if they'll end up releasing this one internationally, it seemed a little Kansai-heavy (or it did to me, the barely-literate chump watching at 1AM).

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 8, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 8):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - €6.99 / £5.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire (SNES) €7.99 / £5.49
    Galaga (NES) €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until August 15
    Donkey Kong (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13

3DS eSHOP
    SteamWorld Dig - €8.99 / £7.79
    Tangram Style - €5.99 / £5.39
    Deer Drive Legends - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Art Academy (3DS) - 50% off all DLC lessons until August 11
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.74 until August 15
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 until August 15
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.40 until August 15
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €9.79 / £8.39 until August 15
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €5.00 / £4.49 until August 22
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until August 22
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.29 until August 22

NA update (week of August 8):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Ducktales Remastered (August 13) - $14.99
    Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - €6.99 / £5.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (August 11) - $39.99
3DS eSHOP
    SteamWorld Dig - $8.99
    Smash Bowling 3D - $4.99
    Tangram Style - $6.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until August 22
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Brain Age Express: Sudoku (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    Mario Golf (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    NES Play Action Football (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1
    Wario's Woods (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 1

Art Academy Sketchpad isn't on either press release but it should be out tomorrow; the JP version is 400yen, so expect a sub-$5 price elsewhere.

SteamWorld Dig seems to be getting lots of positive buzz from the EU people who bought it after yesterday's Direct, definitely check it out. Seems polished, if nothing else.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What kind of RPG is Romance of the the Kingdoms and would it be worth getting? Is it high quality like a final fantasy game, or like Tecmo RPG passable quality.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
For some reason, I thought Art Academy Sketchpad was going to be free.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

greatn posted:

What kind of RPG is Romance of the the Kingdoms and would it be worth getting? Is it high quality like a final fantasy game, or like Tecmo RPG passable quality.

I don't think it's a RPG, it's a strategy game.

katkillad
Sep 10, 2003
I don't care what anyone says, I'm a grown rear end man and I'm going to buy at least one of those Pokemans from Gamestop to try it out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

katkillad posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I'm a grown rear end man and I'm going to buy at least one of those Pokemans from Gamestop to try it out.

I'm buying them too. They'll look great with my Skylanders.

I have a problem.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

I have a problem.

I want to get a bulbasaur to sit in front of my tv but Europe hasn't said anything about the figures yet.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Looks like SteamWorld: Dig is getting the last of my Shin Megami Tensei IV credit!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

MrFlibble posted:

I want to get a bulbasaur to sit in front of my tv but Europe hasn't said anything about the figures yet.

You know there's no shortage of Pokémon figurines, especially ones which actually look like the Pokémon they're supposed to resemble? Just buy a toy.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Katana Gomai posted:

You know there's no shortage of Pokémon figurines, especially ones which actually look like the Pokémon they're supposed to resemble? Just buy a toy.

I know theres a bunch of pokemon toys - but the bulbasaur design for pokemon rumble is pretty good.

Also Super Mario Bros 2 is £4.49 in the UK, not £3.49

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Ducktails, wooo-ooooo-ooooo!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

Its a grand strategy RPG where you play as a Chinese feudal lord through the fall of the Han dynasty and subsequent civil war. There's some light economic management, but most of the game is political wrangling with other lords and wooing and/or conspiring with their officers, culminating in your standard SRPG battle sequences. If you like strategy games at all deffo buy it, ROTK owns and 4 is one of the better ones.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

njsykora posted:

I have a problem.

Every time I hear about this game or Skylanders, I think of that old, little Pokemon stadium toy they released way back between the first two Pokemon game generations. The one with the little pokemon figurines you plugged into each corner to have them fight. I actually still have the Wartortle figurine sitting on my dresser.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GAME UK is now selling digital codes for first-party 3DS eShop/VC games; the selection is quite limited and they aren't currently being discounted like the retail download codes, but I'm sure they'll be useful to someone:

http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/nintendo-eshop/retro-classics/
http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/nintendo-eshop/eshop-exclusives/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Surprise, Wii U dudes! You're getting a Wonderful 101 demo today! Should be up in around 30m-1hr.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Surprise, Wii U dudes! You're getting a Wonderful 101 demo today! Should be up in around 30m-1hr.

IT IS A WONDERFUL DAY!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Welp, I need to get a Wii U sooner than I thought, gently caress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Art Academy Sketchpad is available on the Wii U eShop now, it'll cost you $3.99/3.99EUR.

While I'm here... the Sega Japan page for 3D Streets of Rage is up - same old feature set, the one big new feature is the addition of a "one-hit kill" mode. Out next week in Japan, 600yen.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Can it be played solely on the game pad or does it have to be played with the TV along with it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiffster posted:

Can it be played solely on the game pad or does it have to be played with the TV along with it?

It can be played just on the pad.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

It can be played just on the pad.

Definitely increased its value to me right there then. Will download the demo and give it a shot

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
What the flying Christ is this nightmare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2bApv9U-3c

Edit: I AM NOT ANY MORE INFORMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Kti_xopYs

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The name of the game confuses me more than anything else.

Bumpie's Party? Who the gently caress is Bumpie?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I can only assume it's a portmanteau of bumping uglies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2bApv9U-3c

Edit: I AM NOT ANY MORE INFORMED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Kti_xopYs

One of the "things" looks like a green turd.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The best (creepiest) part was when the second trailer just said 'GO OUTSIDE SOMETIMES' really accusingly. They know me so well?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Uh oh, looks like someone wasn't invited to the party...

If you're curious about Spin the Bottle Eurogamer played it to show it off. It looks a stellar loving drinking game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTC6h2IG1CA

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Uh oh, looks like someone wasn't invited to the party...

If you're curious about Spin the Bottle Eurogamer played it to show it off. It looks a stellar loving drinking game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTC6h2IG1CA

Too bad drinking games don't really work unless you have friends. Actually Multiplayer games in general don't.

Oh well. v:shobon:v

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Too bad drinking games don't really work unless you have friends. Actually Multiplayer games in general don't.

Oh well. v:shobon:v

SOMETIMES GO OUTSIDE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently the Spin The Bottle devs are planning on raising the price of the game whenever they add new content, so if it's something you might potentially be interested in you may wanna get it now, before they jack the price up.

Also, NOE didn't actually mention this in their Direct but they did mention it elsewhere: PAL-land is getting Recca on the 15th.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Just wondering, is the Denpa Men 2 any good? I've tried the demo and I liked what I played, but just wanna make sure.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is up on the NA e-shop as of a few minutes ago. Can't go wrong spending my $30 eshop credit here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dream Team got a demo in NA, too - it has a 12-use limit, and lets you sample the real world, the dream world and a boss battle.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is up on the NA e-shop as of a few minutes ago. Can't go wrong spending my $30 eshop credit here.

I bought it based solely off of the trailers and videos for the game. I'm really enjoying it and I think my wife is going to have fun with it as well.

Also like the humor but I'm easily amused. :)

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Dream Team got a demo in NA, too - it has a 12-use limit, and lets you sample the real world, the dream world and a boss battle.

2 boss battles, actually. There's one for each world. I liked the demo, anyway.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm a big Suda 51 fan but I don't ever play shoot em ups. Will I be able to have fun with Liberation Maiden?

Similarly, how is Crimson Shroud for people who have never played a tabletop RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crimson Shroud is mostly like a normal JRPG, just with the ability to throw random buffs into the mix; you earn dice in the middle of battle and can use them to randomly add damage and stuff to attacks.

Liberation Maiden is not nearly as insane as something you'd expect from Grasshopper, unless the idea of a young woman being the president of Japan in a giant robot sounds wacky in itself. It't no Metal Wolf Chaos, but it's got good gameplay.