Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC 13 Gotham has a new preview release. Here's the details:

quote:

As has been the case for a few months now, for those who just can’t wait for a write-up about the newest alpha but tend to steer clear of the bleeding edge of nightlies, the new build should typically be available on the 1st of the month at mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots.

With that said, we’ve now completed months #5 and #6 of our monthly development cycle, and there’s much to talk about.

System-Wide
These past two months have primarily seen the growth and refinement of already existing system-wide features. A few more notable of those features include:

Ripped CDs are now automatically added the the music library, and ripping support has been extended to allow for encoding into AAC and WMA, in addition to the currently supported codecs.

One of the first big benefits of the settings refactor has been the inclusion of new settings descriptions. Now, when you highlight a setting that previously made next to no sense, a small description will pop up clarifying what the setting actually accomplishes, as can be seen near the bottom of the below image.

Those familiar with Github are encouraged to consider adding more settings descriptions.

Additionally, profiles can now have their settings levels locked, so if your kids have their own profile, they can’t accidentally switch to more advanced settings, causing major problems throughout XBMC.

The default Wunderground addon has been updated to work with recent builds of XBMC. This primarily results in fixes for previous alphas, but also adds support for 5 locations, and allows for more appropriate labels in certain cases. Backwards compatibility was removed with this update, so users of this addon who are still running Eden may find weather no longer works. Those users are encouraged to switch to the Yahoo weather addon or update to XBMC 12.2.

For those users who experience exceptional lag over their local network, a new Advanced Setting has been included that allows significant cacheing over the network. In most modern networks, this setting should not be necessary, but it is useful in some edge cases.

Finally, recent work has been done to speed up the pace at which XBMC loads thumbnails for videos without any attached artwork. The speed of thumbnail loading had regressed since XBMC 11. This work returned some of that speed.

OS-specific Updates
Both XBMC for Windows and OSX now support their respective copy/paste functions (either ctrl+v or CMD+v).

XBMC for Android has finally be updated to match the other platforms with Zeroconf support. In particular, this means it can act as an Airplay receiver. Additionally, XBMC can now act as a default player of video, audio, and image files when launched from an Android file browser.

I bolded the stuff that looked interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

EC posted:

XBMC 13 Gotham has a new preview release. Here's the details:

I bolded the stuff that looked interesting.

Yesssssssss, finally with the caching. This will be huge for my brother's place.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I thought the emulator branch was supposed to be part of Gotham.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

berzerker posted:

Yesssssssss, finally with the caching. This will be huge for my brother's place.

Nice! Any idea what the advanced setting key actually is? I see <cachemembuffersize> but that was already present in frodo..

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gism0 posted:

Nice! Any idea what the advanced setting key actually is? I see <cachemembuffersize> but that was already present in frodo..
Speaking of that setting I'd highly recommend using it, the default cache is around 20MB which isn't much if you buffer 720p Youtube videos. Have mine at 250MB without issue, tempted to knock it up but unsure where they're storing the cache.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

zylche posted:

Speaking of that setting I'd highly recommend using it, the default cache is around 20MB which isn't much if you buffer 720p Youtube videos. Have mine at 250MB without issue, tempted to knock it up but unsure where they're storing the cache.

I had no idea this would affect the youtube plugin. That's pretty great for the days when youtube is slow as molasses.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

zylche posted:

It stores it in memory by default, if you set it to 0 then it will store it on the HDD with no limit (till it almost runs out of disk space).

Sendo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 9, 2013

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
libstagefright is in all versions of gotham android since August, but they all crash for me in the middle of videos randomly.
I'll need a monthly soon,
Annoying

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm having another problem with XBMC, but this time on OSX. Everytime I try to scan my library of TV shows, XBMC crashes after getting to the letter C. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XBMC, but that didn't seem to fix the issue. I'm running 12.2.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

wolfbiker posted:

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

I have a similar setup, but I've added most of my content ironically. For instance, this is one of the pre-movie videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17MchEJDuTI

Anyway, I kind of agree some of this stuff can be seen as annoying and appear as a bit pompous on the part of the owner, but I also think there's something to be said about a steady buildup to the actual movie. It's like foreplay.

Constant instant consumption of material makes Johnny a dull boy. Why not add a little flare? A little build-up? Oh, right, I forgot.....society.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 10, 2013

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

wolfbiker posted:

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

The whole point for me is that I can control what it shows. When I host horror movie nights at my place I (carefully) choose 2-3 trailers and bumpers to play between films. Friends can get up and use the bathroom and load up beers during this time. Friends seem impressed and are actually disappointed when I don't have time for trailers now.

Do I use it at home by myself? Nope. For special occasions it is great though. Friends tend to be more impressed by the trailer for Force on Thunder Mountain than by my carefully balanced audio settings, even though the audio settings are actually much more important. It's all about the bling I guess.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the emulator branch was supposed to be part of Gotham.

Yeah I'm puzzled by this too, I thought lib-retro was in the plans for integration but I don't see it in the notes.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
e: Nevermind my scraping problem mysteriously resolved itself after a day of not working. Thanks anyways. :)

Gendo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 11, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody have any idea why some of Sickbeard downloaded files aren't updating in XBMC, even if I manually update my library? There are 3 series that haven't updated in weeks. I've even tried the "Update XBMC" feature in SickBeard.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Go to Files mode in XBMC and manually scan the directory.
If that doesn't work, is there any file in any of these problem directories that Sick Beard did not give an identically-named .nfo file?
For instance, Sick Beard wouldn't give an .nfo to TV Show - 1x00 - Pilot.avi, but move it into the show directory and XBMC would stop scanning that show/season when it sees it.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I was using the XEM scraper and it stopped working on me, changed back to TVDB and everything is fine again.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Hate to be that guy that asks, I haven't been in this thread in a while. But, did the whole emulator stuff finally get up and going? The old/current way of emulators never really worked out for me. Especially since stuff like SNES emulators won't work on a secondary display (my TV).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
RetroPlayer got its own forum on xbmc.org and is in active development as an experimental branch, pulling in the latest code from XBMC's master branch every now and then. I wouldn't expect it to become stable enough in time for inclusion in Gotham, but we'll just have to see how far it progresses and if garbear even decides to put it up for review.

If you want to check it out, there are unofficial Windows builds available here. Linux users will have to pull the code from github and compile it themselves.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hogburto posted:

Go to Files mode in XBMC and manually scan the directory.
If that doesn't work, is there any file in any of these problem directories that Sick Beard did not give an identically-named .nfo file?
For instance, Sick Beard wouldn't give an .nfo to TV Show - 1x00 - Pilot.avi, but move it into the show directory and XBMC would stop scanning that show/season when it sees it.

I can go into file mode and see and play the videos just fine, it's just for whatever reason the TV Series area won't show the newest episodes of 3 shows.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I get that from your last post already. Did you look into anything I recommended?
If there is already an .nfo in the directory from Sick Beard, you should be able to get it to show up in your TV section. Is there?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
This thread reminded me that I still have an OG Xbox gathering a lot of dust under the TV.
I'm going to update it with the new fangled xbmc4xbox build and see how quickly it chokes on anything I try to feed it.

Anyone else still got ye olde Xboxen?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I've been testing out Plex for shits and giggles. How in the hell do you find stuff that Plex wasn't able to scan? In xbmc you can go into the files view and see it, but there isn't an option to see unscanned files that I can find.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I can go into file mode and see and play the videos just fine, it's just for whatever reason the TV Series area won't show the newest episodes of 3 shows.

Check the file permissions and dates.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any talk or development in getting 3D working more seamlessly ? Such as auto detecting HSBS rips and adjusting to a HSBS interface, OR perhaps reencoding HSBS material to the native bluray 3D format (I forget what its called)

I have a few 3D movies that I'd like to rip to my NAS setup, but I don't want to degrade the quality to that of hsbs. So I load the physical disc.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Is there any talk or development in getting 3D working more seamlessly ? Such as auto detecting HSBS rips and adjusting to a HSBS interface, OR perhaps reencoding HSBS material to the native bluray 3D format (I forget what its called)

I have a few 3D movies that I'd like to rip to my NAS setup, but I don't want to degrade the quality to that of hsbs. So I load the physical disc.

It comes up from time to time in the dev threads, and occasionally someone will take a stab at the interface, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 3D TV in general hasn't really taken off (true, it's easy to find TV's with it, but only because at this point it's cheap to do so, particularly passive 3D).

I've seen no real effort to bump it up the current priority list in XBMC Gotham.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

This thread reminded me that I still have an OG Xbox gathering a lot of dust under the TV.
I'm going to update it with the new fangled xbmc4xbox build and see how quickly it chokes on anything I try to feed it.

Anyone else still got ye olde Xboxen?

The old Xbox couldn't handle .mkv files so it quickly became obsolete. It's still an excellent platform for playing emulated games up to the lower end of the N64 era. However I wouldn't buy a brand new Xbox just for playing emulated games when a Raspberry Pi likely could handle it just as easily.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

YouTuber posted:

The old Xbox couldn't handle .mkv files so it quickly became obsolete. It's still an excellent platform for playing emulated games up to the lower end of the N64 era. However I wouldn't buy a brand new Xbox just for playing emulated games when a Raspberry Pi likely could handle it just as easily.

I would. With my old Xbox I could play Mario Kart 64 with four controllers really easily. I don't want to think about the headache of dealing with setting up those controllers on a Raspberry Pi.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone used a Vizio costar or other Google tv box with xbmc? Since they are pass through hdmi, it seems like they might be a good way to run apps for hulu and netflix while also running xbmc on one hdmi input

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I'm having trouble getting audio to play in programs that I run via Advanced Launcher. I'll say off the start I'm using XBMCBuntu, with XBMC being auto-run through an Openbox session. I've mucked around with some sound settings and have it at least so that zsnes and mednafen both have audio when launched directly through a terminal in Openbox with XBMC closed, but both of them are silent when launched through XBMC/Advanced Launcher with the same settings. Anyone have an idea? Is this better suited for the Linux thread?

Edit: If it's worth anything, Steam seems to do fine.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 24, 2013

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bucket Joneses posted:

I would. With my old Xbox I could play Mario Kart 64 with four controllers really easily. I don't want to think about the headache of dealing with setting up those controllers on a Raspberry Pi.

You could probably just pick up an n64, 4 controllers, and the game for less than $100 and it would be a much better experience.

In fact I just looked on ebay. $20 for the console, $10 for each controller, $20 for the game. So $80. More than an Raspberry Pi, sure, and yeah all you can do with it is play N64 games, but a much better problem free (and more ethical) way to play Mario Kart 64.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 25, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GutBomb posted:

You could probably just pick up an n64, 4 controllers, and the game for less than $100 and it would be a much better experience.

In fact I just looked on ebay. $20 for the console, $10 for each controller, $20 for the game. So $80. More than an Raspberry Pi, sure, and you all you can do with it is play N64 games, but a much better problem free (and more ethical) way to play Mario Kart 64.
I've pursued this plan. Results disappointed. If you buy dozens of N64 controllers, you might be able to find 4 with analog sticks that don't have loose centers. I'm sure by now the N64 looks and plays better emulated, since working emulators have probably been in development since before Perfect Dark came out.

Man, I was so good at Goldeneye that people who do "dark" runs today call my claims of beating 3 of their supposed records by a fairly large margin (Facility, Cradle, & Temple) lies. Whatever, though. They're still playing the game and discussed time strategies for years (and can't even beat Temple in a dark run without glitching), so I kind of win by default. You just can not pull that off with a loose controller, though.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 24, 2013

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

fourwood posted:

I'm having trouble getting audio to play in programs that I run via Advanced Launcher. I'll say off the start I'm using XBMCBuntu, with XBMC being auto-run through an Openbox session. I've mucked around with some sound settings and have it at least so that zsnes and mednafen both have audio when launched directly through a terminal in Openbox with XBMC closed, but both of them are silent when launched through XBMC/Advanced Launcher with the same settings. Anyone have an idea? Is this better suited for the Linux thread?

Edit: If it's worth anything, Steam seems to do fine.

Well, using ALSA audio (-ad alsa switch) loads successfully according to the ZSNES console output, but is silent. Using SDL audio works in Openbox, but according to the ZSNES output doesn't even try to load the audio driver under XBMC. Pulseaudio just fails completely. I ended up writing a script that just kills XBMC, calls ZSNES/mednafen/whatever, and launches XBMC again when the process exits. Pretty kludgey work-around, but at least it does work. Good enough for me for now.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Has anyone run into the issue of XBMC crashing when a PC wakes up from sleep mode? Most of the stuff I've found on the XBMC forums are specific to Zotac AD10 boxes but unfortunately my setup is a custom-built one and there seems to be no solid information on it and asking a question there just gets some jerk linking to AD10 information.

I'm running Windows 7 with the Frodo version of XBMC. No idea if the hardware matters but it's a 60" Samsung Plasma with an Onkyo receiver plugged into my HTPC [650 Ti card, Intel Pentium i3-3220]

It happens virtually every time I pull the computer of out of sleep. It's the standard "XBMC has stopped working" message.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Godinster posted:

Has anyone run into the issue of XBMC crashing when a PC wakes up from sleep mode? Most of the stuff I've found on the XBMC forums are specific to Zotac AD10 boxes but unfortunately my setup is a custom-built one and there seems to be no solid information on it and asking a question there just gets some jerk linking to AD10 information.

I'm running Windows 7 with the Frodo version of XBMC. No idea if the hardware matters but it's a 60" Samsung Plasma with an Onkyo receiver plugged into my HTPC [650 Ti card, Intel Pentium i3-3220]

It happens virtually every time I pull the computer of out of sleep. It's the standard "XBMC has stopped working" message.

Yes, i was having this problem (on an ad10). I ended up moving to openelec and have never had a problem since.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Ugh I'd rather avoid Linux and stick to Windows but if that's a solution I'll consider it I guess.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you want to stick with windows download xbmclauncher and have it close and restart xbmc when sleeping/waking.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Godinster posted:

Ugh I'd rather avoid Linux and stick to Windows but if that's a solution I'll consider it I guess.
Are you doing anything with it other than XBMC? if not then with openelec you never see linux.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

kri kri posted:

If you want to stick with windows download xbmclauncher and have it close and restart xbmc when sleeping/waking.

This is exactly what I did to get around that problem.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
With NBCSports.com being super awesome and airing every single English Premier League game live on their website I was hoping that someone has made a plugin to seamlessly watch these from within XBMC similar to the ESPN app. Has anyone seen one? I do hate having to bust out the wireless mouse and navigate to chrome, and fuss with navigating and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
A much belated answer (of sorts) to a question I posted way, way back in the thread:

Some months ago, I posted about how I moved my media server from Boxee to XBMC. Everything worked fine except the TV and Movie sections indexed a few shows only, in a random pattern, and never updated. For example, out of a single season of "Romanzo Criminale", only 3 episodes were indexed, despite all the episodes being in the one folder and named in an identical way. Movies were generally better, but again, some were indexed / recognised and some weren't.

I tried an endless variety of things to fix this: renaming shows, different naming formats, different organisational structures, forcing reindexing and rechecking, used different scrapers, crawling through the log file (which seemed to indicate that the shows were being recognised). Nothing worked. Eventually, I gave up and just watched everything through the Videos/Files tab.

So, an old computer came free that was newer than the media server and I figured it was time for a swap. I installed the same version of XBMC (under the same version of the OSX) as I had previously and added my shows and movies. Voila - everything is recognised as expected, updates as expected.

My working theory is that Boxee (which I believe is based on XBMC) may have left some data around that was interfering with the indexing. But in any event, it works.