Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Alhazred posted:

Apparently Julie Benz made Alyson Hannigan cry.

That's Ok - Julie Benz makes me cry any time I actually watch something with her in it (she's the primary reason I refuse to watch Dexter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alhazred posted:

When was this? They were only on the same show at the same time for 3 episodes of season one of Buffy?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

When was this? They were only on the same show at the same time for 3 episodes of season one of Buffy?

Hannigan was probably hanging around the Angel set a bit since she was dating and then married Denisof.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What did Julie Benz do or say to make her cry? Does anyone know or suspect what it might've been? I like drama of that sort.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

What did Julie Benz do or say to make her cry? Does anyone know or suspect what it might've been? I like drama of that sort.

Doing a bit of googling, the only info I can find comes from internet forums about an interview, which said that Benz was a total meanie the first season and made her cry. Considering that the only site with the interview looks like something from an old geocities page, and Benz and Hannigan are apparently still on good enough terms that they tweet each other from time to time, it's probably a phony internet rumor. (I don't follow them on Twitter, but the people who post on Buffy fan boards do.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 3, 2013

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Alhazred posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again, this makes me the Trinity Killer's #1 Fan. :mad:
(Dexter spoilers in there.)

Narcissus1916 posted:

But Hell's Bells is the one thing that makes me nearly apoplectic with rage.

And they didn't even pay out the dough to get Bruce Campbell to cameo as one of Xander's relatives or even future Xander!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched an episode of Castle tonight (no idea if it was a re-run) and Gina Torres was guest starring! The plot was pretty weird, she was playing some sort of Real Housewives character but despite that I couldn't stop grinning the entire time I was watching it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rhyno posted:

I watched an episode of Castle tonight (no idea if it was a re-run) and Gina Torres was guest starring! The plot was pretty weird, she was playing some sort of Real Housewives character but despite that I couldn't stop grinning the entire time I was watching it.

There's another episode where Adam Baldwin guest starred as a tough guy cop who doesn't play by the rules that was pretty great. The best episode for Firefly references though is the one this past season where they went to a Sci-Fi convention.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epi Lepi posted:

There's another episode where Adam Baldwin guest starred as a tough guy cop who doesn't play by the rules that was pretty great. The best episode for Firefly references though is the one this past season where they went to a Sci-Fi convention.

I remember an older episode where Castle dresses as a "Space Cowboy" for Halloween. As much as I can't stand Firefly fans it's really neat that Nathan still loves the role so much.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
A nice chat between fans and a very tired Whedon at Comicon... skip about 1/2 hour into the video to get to Whedon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6IQgLBaSV4

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Re-watched the first three seasons of Buffy this past week and oh, they just don't make TV like this anymore. I mean, I like Teen Wolf and Vampire Diaries well enough but I still miss the campy fun of this show. I wish Whedon would consider returning to TV to make a show like Buffy again one day, or maybe give his blessing to someone else to make a show in a similar vein of Buffy- a group of teenagers/young adults who investigate & combat supernatural occurrences. Watching Buffy really makes me feel nostalgic for high school, and I only just graduate in 2010.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 7, 2013

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

whatsabattle posted:

And they didn't even pay out the dough to get Bruce Campbell to cameo as one of Xander's relatives or even future Xander!

Was this supposed to happen? I was honestly pulling for Brendon to be used in an Evil Dead remake myself.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm speeding my way through Angel, in season 4 and man does it feel...off? I saw mention of issues between Joss and Charisma due to her pregnancy in season 4, is this the reason the story suffers so? Did he give Cordy a terrible role for the season out of spite? Because man is her role awful, I guess Connor doesn't help matters much.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I remember an older episode where Castle dresses as a "Space Cowboy" for Halloween.

The best part of that was when the daughter character asked him "didn't you wear that a few years ago? Don't you think it's time to move on?"

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Corte posted:

I'm speeding my way through Angel, in season 4 and man does it feel...off? I saw mention of issues between Joss and Charisma due to her pregnancy in season 4, is this the reason the story suffers so? Did he give Cordy a terrible role for the season out of spite? Because man is her role awful, I guess Connor doesn't help matters much.

Avoid my spoiler tags if it's your first time through.

I can't explain it either, but I couldn't agree more. I'm rewatching for the first time since the original airing and it falls all over itself very quickly. There's a few good episodes here, but the Connor/Cordelia thing is just awful. In my mind they essentially spent three seasons turning the "bitch queen" Cordelia into a lovable, strong woman, only to have her to not really be anything more than a amnesiac plot device that bangs her best friend's son and is a host for the season's big bad. Really one of Whedon's greatest mistakes. Cordy's character development was just as cool as Wesley's, but because of Jasmine it's never remembered nearly as fondly.

At least I have a lot of awesome stuff in season 5 to look forward to.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 7, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_igTbXKPck

Video from a con where Charisma Carpenter talks about Angel season 4/5 and her character and how stuff went down between her and Joss from her perspective (from about 4 minutes on). What happened to get her on the 100th episode is a little heartbreaking to me, but ultimately her character at least got to go out in a really great way, was a great wrap-up of Cordelia's character development throughout the years, and which significantly affected the mission of the fang gang.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Captain Mog posted:

Re-watched the first three seasons of Buffy this past week and oh, they just don't make TV like this anymore. I mean, I like Teen Wolf and Vampire Diaries well enough but I still miss the campy fun of this show. I wish Whedon would consider returning to TV to make a show like Buffy again one day, or maybe give his blessing to someone else to make a show in a similar vein of Buffy- a group of teenagers/young adults who investigate & combat supernatural occurrences. Watching Buffy really makes me feel nostalgic for high school, and I only just graduate in 2010.

Honestly, most of the people who would be best-suited for the style of the 90s/early 2000s dialogue are now unemployed, college-educated roustabouts. Give THEM the demon-fighting duties. A lot of us even have samurai swords and crossbows!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

thedouche posted:

Was this supposed to happen? I was honestly pulling for Brendon to be used in an Evil Dead remake myself.

I can't remember if it was an actual rumor or something I thought at the time and over the years my swiss cheese memory changed the story.
But it would have been awesome, admit it.

hope and vaseline posted:

Cordelia's character development throughout the years, and which significantly affected the mission of the fang gang.

Which reminds me of one of the things I liked about Buffy and Angel- the small character touches. Harmony was obsessed with unicorns from the word go, including when she showed up in season 5, and even to the very end of Angel, she kept little unicorn tchotchkes on her desk at Wolfram and Hart. Cordelia sang the exact same song (The Greatest Love of All) in The Puppet Show as she did when Lorne read her in Slouching Toward Bethlehem all those years later.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

You might want to check out Supernatural. Two brothers in their early to mid-twenties drive around Vancouver The American Midwest fighting demons, vampires, ghosts, werewolves, etc. It's pretty heavily inspired by Buffy and Angel, and also has a lot of former Buffy and Angel writers.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

In Angel, season 4 episode 13 "Salvage" there is a scene where Angel confronts the rock beast in a warehouse. He's throwing some insults at him and there is some truly awful ADR where he calls him a lackey, a toady and a lickspittle. Does anyone know or can read lips well enough to know what word the show had dubbed over and replaced with lickspittle?

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 8, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dunno if it was scripted or not maybe just a bad sound recordd that got dubbed over. Can't find a script, just a transcript.

"ANGELUS
Look, you may have played those suckers at Angel, Inc., but I don't like having my strings yanked, and I don't like being kept in the dark... (smiles) Figuratively, anyway. And if your boss was half as smart as he thinks he is, he knows I won't take orders from a lackey. (the Beast glares at him) What? You don't like "lackey?" Hmm. Or how about, uh, toady? Or lickspittle? Lickspittle's nice. Oh, wait, I got it. Flunky. That's it. You're just a big, stupid, butt-ugly, (the Beast lunges at Angelus who ducks) slow-moving flunky. (the Beast swings at Angelus, but misses) Ah, come on, Rocky. If that's all you got, you better throw in the towel and call it a night. (Angelus jumps up into the rafters with one swift move, then turns to the Beast) When the Beastmaster's ready to peek out from behind your skirt, have him give me a call. (leaves the building)"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, I just watched the scene and it does look like he says "lickspittle".
His mouth is only half-open, so I can't see his tongue move, but it does seem to match up with the audio. I'm guessing they ADRd that scene because of ambient noise or echoes or whatever - seems common for warehouse scenes generally.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Especially when you're filming on such a tight schedule with a tight budget, Buffy and Angel are both going to use heavy amounts of ADR.

At least nothing is as distracting as the first buffy seasons' very obvious stuntdoubles in key action scenes.

I love School Hard to pieces, but there's this spectacularly bad shot of Marster's stuntman that always cracks me the hell up. Seriously its like a guy a foot taller than Marsters with a hideous blonde wig.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Narcissus1916 posted:

Especially when you're filming on such a tight schedule with a tight budget, Buffy and Angel are both going to use heavy amounts of ADR.

At least nothing is as distracting as the first buffy seasons' very obvious stuntdoubles in key action scenes.

I love School Hard to pieces, but there's this spectacularly bad shot of Marster's stuntman that always cracks me the hell up. Seriously its like a guy a foot taller than Marsters with a hideous blonde wig.

The stunt doubles were always bad, right up until the end. SMG's stunt double was several inches taller, had far wider shoulders, and had a nose so big that it poked out through the blonde wig covering her face.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly I found the use of the obvious stunt doubles charming in a way. Once you start expecting them they become a regular part of the show and a reminder not to take things about it too seriously.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

What about Xander's stunt double?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
For me, the 'best' stunt double usage was Angel's in the fight at the end of Buffy season two. At some point they just said 'gently caress it' and started filming him straight-on, especially during the sword fight.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have honestly never noticed any stunt doubles on the shows, i must be missing something obvious.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Oasx posted:

I have honestly never noticed any stunt doubles on the shows, i must be missing something obvious.

Yeah, me either? I mean, I assumed they used them but I honestly can't see what everyone else is seeing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's more obvious in some places than others, but Becoming Part 2 is the worst offender I can remember. Angelus turns into some guy with a receding hairline for half the fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTgHyYDSH6g&t=224s

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Oasx posted:

I didn't either the first time I watched, but that was on BBC2 on a lovely old TV. When the DVDs came out the picture was so much clearer and all the things like the stunt doubles stuck out like a sore thumb.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Flatscan posted:

I didn't either the first time I watched, but that was on BBC2 on a lovely old TV. When the DVDs came out the picture was so much clearer and all the things like the stunt doubles stuck out like a sore thumb.

Wait a sec...

you mean the actors didn't actually stab each other and fight?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheBigBad posted:

Wait a sec...

you mean the actors didn't actually stab each other and fight?

Wait a second... Are you implying that clever use of angles, choreography and basic filming techniques can't disguise stunt doubles and maintain belief?

What a silly post man.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

PriorMarcus posted:

Wait a second... Are you implying that clever use of angles, choreography and basic filming techniques can't disguise stunt doubles and maintain belief?

What a silly post man.

The whole complaint is silly. They pulled off amazing work with a tiny budget and zero time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheBigBad posted:

The whole complaint is silly. They pulled off amazing work with a tiny budget and zero time.

They pulled off passable work. The fight scenes really aren't Buffy's strong point.

Besides, even if you think the complaint is silly you're response to it was still asinine.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

They pulled off passable work. The fight scenes really aren't Buffy's strong point.

Besides, even if you think the complaint is silly you're response to it was still asinine.

Your not a fan of sarcastic wit. Fair enough.

I would suspect that a great deal of action movie language, meaning choreography, camera angle and usage was developed and evolved subsequent to production and airing of Buffy.

You're demonstrating an utter lack of respect for their production limitations and the workflow of the late 90s.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even The Avengers had its problems disguising stunt doubles. TV schedules can be ridiculously tight and if you have a lot of fighting it can be very hard to cut properly with regards both to hiding doubles and keeping the scene legible.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

Your not a fan of sarcastic wit. Fair enough.

I would suspect that a great deal of action movie language, meaning choreography, camera angle and usage was developed and evolved subsequent to production and airing of Buffy.

You're demonstrating an utter lack of respect for their production limitations and the workflow of the late 90s.

Look we all love the show but blatant stunt doubles is a legitimate complaint when it looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/nguqWmo.png
http://i.imgur.com/OUEHD5K.png
http://i.imgur.com/VUqkac6.png

Also they've been making fight scenes on TV for like fifty years by that point.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I would say that it was the lovely captures on my old media center pc (which is the way I watched a big part of Buffy and Angel), but honestly I didn't notice any of this when I did a rewatch of a lot of Buffy on Netflix. It seems like some of our brains just smooth right over some of these hilarious inconsistencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thedouche posted:

I would say that it was the lovely captures on my old media center pc (which is the way I watched a big part of Buffy and Angel), but honestly I didn't notice any of this when I did a rewatch of a lot of Buffy on Netflix. It seems like some of our brains just smooth right over some of these hilarious inconsistencies.

Yeah, I really never notice stunt doubles as opposed to shoddy CGI work. I don't think I've ever been bothered by any stunt work in Buffy or Angel.

• Locked thread