Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Magneto's powers in the 70s were so loosely defined to the point where he was battling Xavier on the astral plane and hypnotising people using his "magnetic attraction".

well if you want to get into it magnetos powers CAN give him control over a person's thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

She is the daughter of Scott Summers and Jean Grey from an alternate future that will never happen who came back in time. Her family consists of her half-brother, who is the son of Scott Summers and a clone of Jean Grey who was born in the present and then sent to an alternate future that will never happen to be raised, except it was a different alternate future than Rachel's so she grew up without ever knowing she had a brother until she came back in time.
Don't forget that Cable grew up in a rebel clan based on teachings of a version of Rachel who no longer exists because that timeline no longer exists! And he was raised by Scott and Jean (in the bodies of future people) sent forward in time somehow. Also, Cable has a clone who was raised by future Apocalypse. Additionally, Rachel didn't have a brother at all. Her past is *not* the 616 universe as it diverged when Kitty was sent back in time. In Rachel's timeline, she's Scott's first child.

WickedHate posted:

She actually has two alternate reality brothers, Cable and X-Man(singular), both named Nate Gray because their alternate universe versions of each other, Cable from the main universe(who's still alternate since Rachael is from yet another timeline)and X-Man from the Age of Apocalypse.
Cable goes by Nathan Summers, X-Man goes by Nate Grey. I'm sure the latter was done intentionally to at least partially prevent confusion. Interestingly, X-Man is arguably what Cable would have been without the techno-organic virus. Or, he is Stryfe but raised by AOA Sinister instead of future Apocalypse.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Wait, is Rachel Grey the same thing as Rachel Summers, from Excalibur?

Have not read X-anything for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

joehonkie posted:

Wait, is Rachel Grey the same thing as Rachel Summers, from Excalibur?

Have not read X-anything for a while.

Yeah, she decided to take Jean's last name for some reason.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, she decided to take Jean's last name for some reason.

Since Jean was dead and then they Grey's were all killed.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
You know, it just occurred to me that after reading those Rachel/Nathan/Nate recaps I nonchalantly nodded my head because it made complete sense to me.

I don't know why, but I love that kind of alternate reality and time travel shenanigans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You know, it just occurred to me that after reading those Rachel/Nathan/Nate recaps I nonchalantly nodded my head because it made complete sense to me.

I don't know why, but I love that kind of alternate reality and time travel shenanigans.

It does for me too since I read them and I read the Legion and that is just par the course.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

It does for me too since I read them and I read the Legion and that is just par the course.

Even trying to make it seem complicated doesn't really make it that complicated for me. You could simplify it as "Natan Summers and Rachel Grey are successful time travelers."

Which they are, they go back in time to stop their lovely future and succeed eliminating the lovely future they came from and since they don't Marty McFly after changing the future you don't even get the old paradox of not being around to alter the future because they altered their future.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AkumaHokoru posted:

well if you want to get into it magnetos powers CAN give him control over a person's thoughts.
Granted, but it's treated as a ridiculous extension of his base powers over metal these days rather than in the 70s where it was just "this idiom has 'magnetic'/'magnetism' in it, which means Magneto must be able to do it!"

bonus: dat iceman

(Both X-Men #18)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

(Both X-Men #18)

I've definitely seen this face before, but I'm not sure where...

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

CapnAndy posted:

I think the best part is that we're all grossly oversimplifying everything. Because, y'know. Wouldn't want this to be hard to follow.

I'm glad people realized that was supposed to be funny, and didn't embarrass themselves by sperging out about it.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Metal Loaf posted:

Your window at night?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Granted, but it's treated as a ridiculous extension of his base powers over metal these days rather than in the 70s where it was just "this idiom has 'magnetic'/'magnetism' in it, which means Magneto must be able to do it!"

(Both X-Men #18)

Both of these are the funniest faces I think I've seen today. I can't stop laughing at Mags biting his lip in the first one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm sure you'd find similar faces from any actor who starred in a movie with the letters 'XXX' or the word 'backdoor' in it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

(Both X-Men #18)
I don't have the image on hand, but there's also one where he stops some ice falling on him. Magnetically. So they were really "anything he loving wants as long as he mentions magnets while doing it".

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'm sure you'd find similar faces from any actor who starred in a movie with the letters 'XXX' or the word 'backdoor' in it.

That doesn't look anything like Vin Diesel.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Say Nothing posted:

There's a lot of it about.
Avengers #111.

I love that the Avengers/X-men watching this are just standing and staring at the weirdness going on.

"This... this is a a thing that's happening, isn't it?"

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

Nate Grey was also romantically involved with a psychic copy of an alternate universe clone of his mother at one point.

It was an alternate universe evil Jean Grey who killed and was impersonating this universe's Maddie Pyror who had been resurrected as a psychic ghost by Nate Grey when he crossed over into the main marvel universe.

I love explaining the Summers family to people.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Vicissitude posted:

I love that the Avengers/X-men watching this are just standing and staring at the weirdness going on.

Iron Man looks really bummed out about it. Maybe he's looking at her leg and feels sad that she apparently has some condition that makes her leg all wavy like a windsock.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Zereth posted:

I don't have the image on hand, but there's also one where he stops some ice falling on him. Magnetically. So they were really "anything he loving wants as long as he mentions magnets while doing it".

Water is a polar molecule v:v:v

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The trading card I got on Magneto way back in the day said he could manipulate the entire electromagnetic spectrum, so he can indeed do absolutely anything he wants. If he wasn't such a loving idiot he'd just make every city on Earth crumble to dust so the mutants can take over.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vicissitude posted:

Iron Man is all "You know...sometimes, this loving wierd-rear end job...I mean just...gently caress. I bet Bill Gates just plain doesn't have to deal with this kind of poo poo."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zereth posted:

Yes! Time to prove the economic power of homo superior by becoming a shipping magnet!

True X-Men #4 Facts
Seagulls always know where Magneto is because they have magnetoception.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ghostlight posted:

Yes! Time to prove the economic power of homo superior by becoming a shipping magnet!

I love "...oh! It's Magneto!" I like to read it in a slightly bored voice, as if he bursts in on their business all the time and it's becoming tiresome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zereth posted:

Some day I want someone to beat Magneto by walking up behind him with a wooden baseball bat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Some day I want someone to beat Magneto by walking up behind him with a wooden baseball bat.

He is not Alan Scott.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ghostlight posted:

True X-Men #4 Facts

Magneto's got a serious case of Tim Buckley face going on here.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Reed Richards beating him with a wooden gun was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Veib posted:

Reed Richards beating him with a wooden gun was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

The best part of the episode was Reed telling Mags that the wooden gun was fake and yet Magneto just resigned himself and let the cops take him off instead of just saying "Well gently caress you then" and then magnetizing the handcuffs away.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Excuse me, he's wearing a helmet. :eng101: Besides, he'd just make up some bullshit about-

Plutonis posted:

The best part of the episode was Reed telling Mags that the wooden gun was fake and yet Magneto just resigned himself and let the cops take him off instead of just saying "Well gently caress you then" and then magnetizing the handcuffs away.
... :eng99:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Magneto is pretty great in that cartoon. Listen to that dude talk about himself in the third person. Dude could give Doom a run for his money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkc_Myyye20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know what's funnier, that some Gomer Pyle motherfucker insists that Magneto's purple rotorless helicopter sled is a car, or that Magneto has to stop at a gas station to ask directions from a flatscan.

An anarchist supervillain who just wants free parking everywhere would be pretty cool. Get the Flag-Smasher on this, stat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Plastic zip-tie type cuffs.

Yes, in the '70s, Howard Stark invented them.

They're nuclear!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Before the Mega Man/Sonic crossover happened, they were right in the beginning of doing the Mega Man 3 storyline where Mega Man is fighting Break Man (Proto Man's villain identity). Now the crossover is over and we can get back to work.

Nobody remembers the crossover, but as we can see, the mad scientist bromance is over.

Mega Man #28

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know what's funnier, that some Gomer Pyle motherfucker insists that Magneto's purple rotorless helicopter sled is a car, or that Magneto has to stop at a gas station to ask directions from a flatscan.

What an exchange.

"Besides, fuel is for lesser men! My vehicle needs no gas!"
"You're puttin' me on! Every car needs gas!"
"You witless young fool! This is not every car, and nobody may dare contradict me, for when they do, I get angry! And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

If they ever make another X-Men cartoon, they should totally get Ed Asner to play this version of Magneto.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

"Besides, fuel is for lesser men! My vehicle needs no gas!"

Maybe that's why he was such an utter bastard during Claremont's relaunch; Asteroid M would just fall apart if he unclenched his buttcheeks.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Ghostlight posted:

True X-Men #4 Facts

Damnit, Magneto, you fight people who fly without engines all the time. You fly without engines. If you see something flying, you don't dismiss it just because you don't hear engines!

Magneto's magnetic force field would stop Cyclops's force beams, so there's pretty much nothing it won't affect.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sefer posted:

Damnit, Magneto, you fight people who fly without engines all the time. You fly without engines. If you see something flying, you don't dismiss it just because you don't hear engines!

Magneto's magnetic force field would stop Cyclops's force beams, so there's pretty much nothing it won't affect.

It can stop a snowball.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Much simpler times, when Angel's mutant power was owning a bazooka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Much simpler times, when Angel's mutant power was owning a bazooka.

He's got the same power as Most Excellent Superbat.

Final Crisis #6, I believe.

• Locked thread