Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Orange Devil posted:

I have a serious complaint about the demo so far. Not a single instance of Falalalan.

Throw it in your EUIV demo folder. Hope it works.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/falalalanremedy.rar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I had something weird happen to me as Austria. I had a RM with Bavaria and had claimed their throne, their monarch died, I got the Claim Throne CB, declared war and their ally Salzburg joined in. So far so good.

A week or so later I get a notification that I'm in the War of Bavarian Succession against the Palatinate (plus its allies, plus Bavaria). Well OK, I'm going to beat them down, too. When I'm done, I see that I'm listed as having no CB, making getting a PU with Bavaria, which was my one and only goal from the start, prohibitively expensive. So I just take some minor concessions from the Palatinate and move on.

A month later, I see this:

I'm somehow still at war with Salzburg, yet there's no war shield in the lower right. What exactly happened there? I've never really used the Claim Throne stuff too much in EU3, so maybe this is the way it's supposed to work, but shouldn't I at least have a war shield for the war against Salzburg (it was just me vs. them).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You're besieging a rebel controlled province, not at war with Salzburg.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Then why do I have the flame icon in the top left saying "Country is at war with Salzburg"? And after I took that province from the rebels, I force-vassalized Salzburg. I'm pretty sure I was at war with them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Wiz posted:

You're besieging a rebel controlled province, not at war with Salzburg.

Look in the top left, below the country name -- clearly says he's at war, when he presumably shouldn't be.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
When the mighty Venice-Austrian-Polish-Hungarian coalition formed after I conquered the Levant in one war, I was impressed. I hope this means there can be some pretty massive wars later on in the game. The best thing about V2 is huge rear end great wars tearing the world apart.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Allyn posted:

Look in the top left, below the country name -- clearly says he's at war, when he presumably shouldn't be.

Whoops, my bad. That's a pretty odd bug.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have to say of everything in EU4 the one change that is absolutely unequivocally good and fantastic is how the AI now evaluates alliances. You can actually make reasonable cross-religion allies and if you can't ally with someone it tells you why. If I had to complain about anything it would be that there's no way around "too many diplomatic relations", there should surely be some circumstances in which losing 1 dip point per month is worth getting a strong ally (and they might be able to drop another weak ally or a guarantee to get below the limit again).

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I have a serious complaint about the demo so far. Not a single instance of Falalalan.

No mismatching legged Napoleon. Game is lost cause.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BillBear posted:

When the mighty Venice-Austrian-Polish-Hungarian coalition formed after I conquered the Levant in one war, I was impressed. I hope this means there can be some pretty massive wars later on in the game. The best thing about V2 is huge rear end great wars tearing the world apart.
Speaking of conquering the Levant, are you supposed to fail the Annex Egypt mission if another state grabs any Mamluk territory? Tripoli took Libya from the Mamluks after my second war with them, and I then immediately failed the mission. Unless the mission is timed, and the two just happened to coincide (seems unlikely), that's really strange to me. Especially so since I was able to choose the mission immediately after I had lost it.

E: The mission should clearly also make it possible to take all of Egypt in one war, that's another bug for you to fix, Paradox. :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 8, 2013

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Speaking of Napoleon I hope he makes a appearance. :france:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So I was playing CK2 and wondering when EU4 would get released (I just skip game development nowadays), decided to wander here to check and what a pleasant surprise.

Hopefully this one will keep the new trend that Paradox has set to itself after CK2. :)

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Pattersong's AAR is the best.

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Just played 4 hours in terrain-mode and only had a problem when trying to pick out minor countries inside the HRE. Can't wait to port over my Achaemenid empire game from CK2!

I'm sure I'll find a bunch of stuff thats annoying/imbalanced eventually, but for right now the only bad thing in the demo is the font.

Please Paradox, fix your font so that I can read it without have to strain my eyes.

Could you honestly tell whether that said "rn" or "m" without the word as context? Or is everyone else just playing on 800x640 screens?

As it is right now I never read text in CK2 if I can avoid because it makes me feel like I'm dyslexic half the time, would be nice if EU could be different.

E: Just to show the contrast I started up Civ 5 which it seems Paradox should emulate when it comes to making the interface less complicated at least.

Sure, that might be a bit too much since EU4 descriptions are more text heavy, but anyone with a resolution above 1080p should have room to spare.

L0VE fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It begins :negative:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Stop staring at the sky!

Ugh, this is the worst night ever to get invited out for drinks :negative:

beefart fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 8, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but coming from a CKII background (and having a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of how the CKII mechanics work)... I have no idea what I'm doing. Actually reminds me of the first time I loaded up CKII and was just like, "What the poo poo is this, all these buttons and text and numbers and is the game playing itself?!"

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I tried all the graphic options and reinstalled the demo, but the shadow continents persist :( . Any suggestions?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=167769011

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Friend Commuter posted:

Portugal doesn't occupy any provinces, so gets no warscore. In EU3, only the war leader got warscore for battles, whoever fought in them, and that seems to have carried over to EU4.

That might explain what happened with my war against France as Portugal. I'm coming over from CK2 having never played EU3, so I really only have a basic grasp on the mechanics from doing the tutorial. I had entered into a military alliance with Navarra because I eventually wanted to vassalize them when they were invaded by France. I accepted the call to arms and because of my superior military strength was immediately made the leader of the war on our side. France had no trouble completely occupying Navarra, but for some reason I couldn't surrender to them. No matter what I tried to give up, it didn't even come close to satisfying France according to that window that breaks down all the diplomacy modifiers in the Sue For Peace section. What was I supposed to do, let them occupy Portugal? On a related note, I guess I need to be a lot more careful about what nations I choose alliances with in this than in CK2.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

The Belgian posted:

I tried all the graphic options and reinstalled the demo, but the shadow continents persist :( . Any suggestions?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=167769011

Yes, post the issue on our forums(don't know if the bug/tech support subforums are open yet) along with an uploaded DxDiag. Do you know what graphics card you use? Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?

Edit: Also try and change 'force_pow2_textures=no' to 'force_pow2_textures=yes' in My Documents/Paradox Interactive/EUIV/settings.txt, and see if that helps you. I would really investigate the other suggestions first though, that option consumes a lot of graphics memory.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 8, 2013

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

It seems like there should be a popup when a war you are participating in ends.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

There's a localization problem with that event, it says 'something bad' where it should say 'something awful'.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is anyone else suddenly losing the ability to scroll or zoom the map with the mouse? I'll exit out of a menu or zoom to something and suddenly I can't move anything.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Have they given out the rewards from the recruitment campaign yet? I heard some people got them but I haven't. I also didn't get any response when I signed up for beta so I think paradox just hates my email.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Enrico Dandolo posted:

It seems like there should be a popup when a war you are participating in ends.

A popup that lists the peace agreement details would be nice.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Elenkis posted:

This just happened to me and I had no idea wtf even happened until I read your post.

I had Casablanca, Tangiers and Ceuta cored and converted to Catholicism. Was no longer at war with Morocco and had an army of 15,000 sitting in Casablanca. Then on Jan 17th all three provinces suddenly flipped over to Morocco with no message or other notification that it had even happened.

I'd completely forgotten that I was part of that useless war between England and France that I did nothing in (France never sent any troops against Portugal in my game). Man.

Yeah I had this happen too. Fortunately I figured out why fairly quickly but it's still maddening it would happen and give no notification. Especially since the warscore was something like 2% in our favor so there was no reason I should have had all my provinces given away. There is a checkbox in the war screen to allow or disallow the ai from making peace offers for you so maybe that would keep it from happening. I didn't expect that it would be able to give away random core provinces I owned, though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I think the answer to both the war issues is the fact that the war score in the window seems to be only YOUR personal war-score against the enemy

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Ragg posted:

EU4 demo is on steam! It works! Go download!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/
Sons of bitches! I have to choose between this and Papers, Please!?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Sons of bitches! I have to choose between this and Papers, Please!?

Simple. Every time a foreign army marches into your territory, pause the game and play P,P!? and process as many people as the size of the army divided by 1000.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The AI should never be able to give away your stuff away without you EXPLICITLY signing off on it, regardless of of the negotiation box is checked. :colbert:

You should get a box saying what the terms are, and you can agree, or refuse and enter a separate war against the target.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zerf posted:

Simple. Every time a foreign army marches into your territory, pause the game and play P,P!? and process as many people as the size of the army divided by 1000.

"Name?"
"Napoleon Bonaparte."
"Occupation?"
"Emperor of the French."
"What is the purpose of your visit?"
"Conquest of the Russian Empire."
"*STAMP* Cause no trouble."

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
CK2 was pretty much my first proper paradox game and playing the EUIV demo I dunno. The UI just feels...sloppy? :ohdear:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

CK2 was pretty much my first proper paradox game and playing the EUIV demo I dunno. The UI just feels...sloppy? :ohdear:

Its still leagues ahead of Victoria and especially Hearts of iron. :ssh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh my god everything about this feels amazing. I love having to juggle my money and monarch points around to keep things stable. I thought it would feel kind of gamey but it just feels so right and fun.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The demo seems to indicate that no matter how much polish and QA they put into a title, releases will always be heart-warmingly Paradox affairs.

Time to see how I can unlock England in the demo. I poked around the demo's files and it seems possible using the old Vicky 2 trick.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
If you order ships to move onto hostile territory units disembark automatically? PARADOX MAGNUM OPUS

I really should try talking to my bank about getting something to allow me to buy things videogames online.

ETA: Right click on province to show diplo menu. Pro UI tricks~

grancheater fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 8, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The fact that it's possible to create cores at will leads to some pretty funky effects as Holy Roman Emperor - it starts getting really common for a province to be cored by like three different minors. Also, Imperial Liberation is a bit funky sometimes - occasionally, if a country that was annexed, cored, then liberated goes on a bit of a conquering spree of its own that gets smacked down by other nations, reducing it to its original province, you end up with, for instance, the goal of imperial liberation of Oldenburg from Oldenburg.

Also: I am amused by the descriptions for the quantity ideas.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Its still leagues ahead of Victoria and especially Hearts of iron. :ssh:

Out of interest, when CK2 first came out, was it's UI as good as it is now?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Well I fixed the mouse freezing bug- turns out the game really doesn't like it when I drag-select something. Anyone having that problem or is my computer just too primitive?

Everything seems great otherwise- just need figure everything out and wait until I actually have enough money to buy it. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Out of interest, when CK2 first came out, was it's UI as good as it is now?

Yes. Very little has changed with CK2's UI since release.

• Locked thread