Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crow Jane posted:

See, I think what determines whether or not something becomes dad music is the content, not the age. If you can imagine it being played on a lovely boombox while a dad is sitting in the yard, drinking beer, it's dad rock. This is the natural state of the music-listening dad, and he doesn't like to be interrupted by neighbors or moms while in it. Therefore, music that's too musically weird or too obviously about sex, drugs or violence is right out. The music dad still has and sometimes listens to that stuff, but no one associates it with him, and it escapes the dad-rock stigma. It's why something like The Velvet Underground will always be a young persons' band, despite their age. No dad is gonna sit out on the lawn listening to Venus in Furs without at least one talking-to from someone or some uncomfortable questions from the kids.

John Cale is a dad.

I don't yet have confirmation on whether or not he has a lawn. Or whether he listens to his old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Happyloony posted:

We need to define when music becomes dad music so we can stay young forever.

I'm going to use this knowledge to be a dad without having any kids.

Why the hell would you want to stay young forever?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

No dad is gonna sit out on the lawn listening to Venus in Furs without at least one talking-to from someone or some uncomfortable questions from the kids.

Uncomfortable questions like 'tell us again about the time they showed weird poo poo and bondage-wear on prime time TV with this song as backing music'. Link

For the record my dad doesn't like music that much at all, my mother on the other hand listens to anything from metal to pop, and from anywhere from 50s to current top-40 - she's past retirement age.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

My favorite is either nonexistence of monopoles because i'm too into Taoism

I thought that monopoles existed but there would be like one in the entire observable universe

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012

Tulip posted:

I'm going to use this knowledge to be a dad without having any kids.

Why the hell would you want to stay young forever?

You'll see when my plan comes to fruition.

What worries me though is that my friend's teacher said he'd rather take suicide than become young again. Maybe all those teenage songs lied to me :argh:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

While we're at it, what would be considered mom rock? I don't think when the music was made is a deciding factor, though it does help. When I think mom rock, the first bands I think of are Maroon 5, Train, and Rob Thomas.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Ironically (Grand?)dad musician Bob Dylan has a song called 'Forever Young'

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

NienNunb posted:

While we're at it, what would be considered mom rock? I don't think when the music was made is a deciding factor, though it does help. When I think mom rock, the first bands I think of are Maroon 5, Train, and Rob Thomas.

My mom recently texted me asking if I'd heard the newest Beirut record yet. Her favorite band is probably REM, and she was kinda jealous when I saw Belle and Sebastian a few weeks ago. She has had lifelong crushes on Willie Nelson and Neil Young, though.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
ABBA is momrock.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Momrock through the ages: Elvis, The Beatles, Neil Diamond, Heart, Blondie, Wilson Phillips, Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Creed, N'Sync, Justin Bieber,

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't forget showtunes, Ricky Nelson, every band in the 70's with mustaches...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What about The Monkees?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Don't forget showtunes, Ricky Nelson, every band in the 70's with mustaches...

Ricky Nelson was so dreamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ssbgThljU

I like this song because I'd like to think that it's about someone taking a my little pony out behind a shed and shooting it.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

What about The Monkees?

My mom LOVES the Monkees.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I think I may go camping out of an SUV near the beach later this summer for a few days.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
My dad pretty much listens to boring jazz. He was pretty big into prog as a teenager though. My mum is embarrassingly a fan of lovely 80s rock one hit wonders like Turning Japanese and Echo Beach, which she repeats like 50 times it pops up. It's weird how mumchat never seems to happen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NienNunb posted:

Those are all good but I'll add to it Dave Matthew's Band.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Noni posted:

Momrock through the ages: Elvis, The Beatles, Neil Diamond, Heart, Blondie, Wilson Phillips, Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Creed, N'Sync, Justin Bieber,

Dadrock and momrock are things that young people who are convinced that all modern music is terrible listen to. So Bieber wouldn't be on there.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The Beatles are the greatest and most important musical group in history.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Dragonforce are the greatest and most important musical group in history.

:goonsay:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I wonder if anyone would actually argue that seriously and not be COMPLETELY retarded. Maybe some form of idiot savant?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Music has been more important to the advancement of society than religion in the last few decades, and given that The Beatles effectively changed the way we listen to music, I would argue that today's society is more influenced by The Beatles than it is by Jesus. John Lennon was right.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

VanSandman posted:

I wonder if anyone would actually argue that seriously and not be COMPLETELY retarded. Maybe some form of idiot savant?

An old friend from high school used to attempt exactly this. He had these really intricate arguments comparing them to guys like Beethoven and Wagner. He also spent an hour a few weeks ago describing in detail how Mackelmore is the greatest rapper in history and how. He's a good guy but Jesus he has a poo poo taste in music.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

Music has been more important to the advancement of society than religion in the last few decades, and given that The Beatles effectively changed the way we listen to music, I would argue that today's society is more influenced by The Beatles than it is by Jesus. John Lennon was right.

Happiness is a Warm Gun. :saddowns:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My mom likes Ricky Nelson. Best gift I ever got her was his box set.

My favorite cocktail is a bourbon manhattan (basil haydens if available) without cherry, on the rocks, unshaken or stirred. My favorite cocktail to make is a caipirinha. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

scary ghost dog posted:

If you define it by modern influence, then sure, I'd agree. If you define it as overall influence then you're comparing Christianity's effect on the world, which has touched basically everything everywhere in some way or another, including guiding the philosophy of the ruling powers of Europe for a long time, to some guys who made us listen to something different for a few decades.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
I'm surprised nobody linked the dad-rock ep yet http://satellitehigh.bandcamp.com/album/the-dad-rock-ep

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Saw this in the local paper today, a pool forced to close 15 times this year because of people making GBS threads in the water. My personal favourite part is;

quote:

“I sympathise with the trust as it is costly if a pool has to close. It is not just children who cause this, and all the trust can do is offer advice to parents and other pool users.”

Is this story symptomatic of a slow news cycle and I was just unaware that pool poops were so common or is this as hosed up as I think?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't know Scotland had pools or even "summer."

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Francodipshit posted:

I didn't know Scotland had pools or even "summer."

Our pools are nothing like the romanticized anime or hollywood types, they're dreary chlorinated hellholes without much fun, and apparently people now poo poo in them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
And what the gently caress is entropy's problem, anyway?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

paragon1 posted:

And what the gently caress is entropy's problem, anyway?

The poster or the concept?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Concept

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

It's always breaking down.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

jalopybrown posted:

Is this story symptomatic of a slow news cycle and I was just unaware that pool poops were so common or is this as hosed up as I think?

As a former pool lifeguard, I can attest that the following three groups will poo poo in a public pool: 1. non-toilet-trained babies (who shouldn't be in the real pool anyway, gently caress you, lovely parents) ; 2. olds with broken digestive systems; 3. kids aged 8-13 who were dared to do it by friends.

Only Group 2 will apologize.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I just came home to a neighborhood-wide power outage. I was just about to pour myself a glass of wine and sit on the deck with a book, but it came back on. Now I'm probably just gonna play around on the internet and watch Netflix all night.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Crow Jane posted:

I just came home to a neighborhood-wide power outage. I was just about to pour myself a glass of wine and sit on the deck with a book, but it came back on. Now I'm probably just gonna play around on the internet and watch Netflix all night.

Storms here for the rest of the evening though so maybe it'll go back out again and I can toss out everything in my freezer

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, I'm kinda hating the weather this week. However, did you hear there's a free Matt and Kim concert downtown tomorrow? Friend of mine told me about it today. I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to deal with the Otakon crowd or Power Plant in general, but it should be a fun show.

edit: If you've been with someone for years, and own animals and furniture together, but have no plans to get married, what is an appropriate descriptor? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Aug 8, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I took melatonin for the first time today and I still feel like I'm drunk and high after sleeping all day.

This poo poo is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I took melatonin for the first time today and I still feel like I'm drunk and high after sleeping all day.

This poo poo is weird.

I've been taking melatonin every night for like six years, which probably explains a lot. Still, it works better for me than every prescription sleep aid I've ever tried, and being somewhat fuzzy throughout the day isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Locked thread