Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

khwarezm posted:

I'm a little confused, shouldn't the origin point be closer to Ethiopia or am I reading this wrong?

Probably closer to modern Tanzania than Ethiopia, but I think that diagram is focusing on the people who left Africa. The genetic root of all humans is mitochondrial haplogroup L. These people who ultimately left Africa were almost exclusively from haplogroup L3, which came more or less through Ethiopia and is indicated on the map, sort of in the right place. As I understand it, the genetics is really complicated and not 100% clear. The vast majority of human genetic diversity exists within Africa, but the goal of this map is to show the migration out of Africa not within it. There were essentially six groups that split off the first humans in Africa. One of those left and split into everything else.

This map might be better, but doesn't show the Americas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

KernelSlanders posted:

the vast majority of human genetic diversity exists within Africa

huh really? This totally makes sense now that I think about it, but I'd never heard that before. Care to elaborate?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's a typical genetic distribution between populations caused by something know as the founder effect. You can easily test it yourself with a bag of skittles. There are five colors in the bag at the start, but pull out five skittles at random and it's not likely you'll get a perfectly representative sample. No it's more likely you'll end up with three purple and two yellow, or two green and two red and one yellow. Through the random selection of individual skittles you have lost some of your color diversity.

Humans leaving Africa subjected themselves to the same random processes. Eurasians are less genetically diverse than Africans because they are all descended from a small non-representative sample that was less diverse than the entire species as a whole. Now there are a lot of other effects complicating the picture, for example the fact that all humankind represents a genetic continuity with gene flow possible from Cape Town to the Pitcairns, or from Tierra del Fuego to Iceland, but the impact of founding events is generally still measurable today.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 7, 2013

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Koramei posted:

huh really? This totally makes sense now that I think about it, but I'd never heard that before. Care to elaborate?

Here's a Y-chromosome haplomap. It basically shows the genetic diversity of the y-chromosome prior to the age of exploration. Notice the diversity in Africa/the Middle East compared to South America. That's because the population of South America is from a lineage started by fewer individuals with less genetic diversity. There have been multiple "Out of Africa" events. There were at least 5 where humans expanded to new areas, and only a portion of humans' genetic diversity would have been present in those groups. If all the men in a group belong to haplogroup "A", everyone in the lineage would be expected to be in haplogroup A or some new haplogroup arising from a mutation in "A"

Here's the distribution of a single haplogroup

Here's another for a haplotype, R-M17, with a more complex distribution. Scientists still disagree over it's origin and how it got distributed in this way. A human migration was likely involved:

These types of maps along with analysis of genetic lineages give us our current ideas about human movements. For example, we are able to tell that the lineage went A -->B-->C and not B-->A-->C by looking at the probability of each possible lineage. Therefore, places with a high rate of the "A" haplotype have been inhabited longer than those with the "C" haplotype. This is a gross oversimplification but it gives you the idea. There are about 20 haplotypes of the Y-chromosme and there is always the possibility that groups come back together after being separated for a long time.

neurobasalmedium fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 7, 2013

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
After reading that GBS thread about two UK hippies getting their hobbit house torn down I looked for a map of UK green belts. It turns out the Telegraph has a nice interactive map of all the green belt areas in England. I could not find a map for the whole UK (sorry :scotland:, Wales and Northern Ireland).

Here is a static map for people who don't like links.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 7, 2013

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Dork457 posted:

Countries that have gendered male names in the french language are green, female is purple.

Could you translate this please? Is there a difference between Spanish and Portuguese french, or German and Dutch french?
Even if the "french" was superfluous, how is there a difference between US/UK/CAN and AUS/NZ. Don't the same grammatical rules apply?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

goethe42 posted:

Could you translate this please? Is there a difference between Spanish and Portuguese french, or German and Dutch french?
Even if the "french" was superfluous, how is there a difference between US/UK/CAN and AUS/NZ. Don't the same grammatical rules apply?
The image and the post are simply a description of the grammatical gender of each country's name as used in French. So le Portugal is green, and la Suède (Sweden) is purple. I'm not entirely sure what you thought they meant, but it's nothing more complicated than that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

goethe42 posted:

What this means is that it's la Russie, la Chine, la Finlande etc (all the purple ones start with la) whereas all the green ones are male and therefore start with le. (le Brésil, le Maroc etc.)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Koramei posted:

Squalid did a pretty good job. I would just add that at least for matrilineal decent everyone who left Africa on the first migration came from the same small subset. By that measure, when the Europeans arrived in the Americas the people they found there, who had traveled half way around the world in the other direction, were more closely related than say two random people still in Africa. Of course matrilineage is simpler to trace since everyeone has exactly one mother. When you look at other markers things get more complicated. People kept mating with their neighbors and sometimes different populations come back into contact with each other briefly after having split off from each other previously.

The National Library of Medicine has data if you want to play at home. I'll add this "map" of all known life phylogeny. One of the things I find most amazing about it is that a mushroom is more closely related to you or me than it is to an oak tree.

KernelSlanders fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 7, 2013

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

lonelywurm posted:

The image and the post are simply a description of the grammatical gender of each country's name as used in French. So le Portugal is green, and la Suède (Sweden) is purple. I'm not entirely sure what you thought they meant, but it's nothing more complicated than that.

Well, I only speak a few words of french, so I didn't immediately understand it as relating to french grammar.

I understood (or didn't) it as something having to do with how names (of persons) in a certain language inherently express the gender of the person.
For example, slavic female names all end on "a", while male names do not.
Andrea is a male name in italian, but a female name in german.
In english, Tony is male name, while Toni is a female name.

Something like this, that's why the "french" somehow bugged me. On the other hand I guess it's understandable, try to search the forums for "gender" and see how often it has anything to do with linguistics. :)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

KernelSlanders posted:

As I understand it, the genetics is really complicated and not 100% clear.

wiki posted:

World map of human migrations, with the North Pole at center. Africa, harboring the start of the migration, is at the top left and South America at the far right. Migration patterns are based on studies of mitochondrial (matrilinear) DNA. Dashed lines are hypothetical migrations.

Numbers represent thousand years before present.

The blue line represents area covered in ice or tundra during the last great ice age.

The letters are the mitochondrial DNA haplogroups (pure motherly lineages); Haplogroups can be used to define genetic populations and are often geographically oriented. For example, the following are common divisions for mtDNA haplogroups:

African: L, L1, L2, L3
Near Eastern: J, N
Southern European: J, K
General European: H, V
Northern European: T, U, X
Asian: A, B, C, D, E, F, G (note: M is composed of C, D, E, and G)
Native American: A, B, C, D, and sometimes X

I think when prehistorians make up these maps it's important to remember that individual people and even large clan/tribe groups can move much, much faster than the archeological evidence can track. The time scale for the migration between North America and South America for example is based on just a few archeological sites and if you match it up with human walking speed you immediately notice a problem. It doesn't take 30,000 years to walk from Northeast Asia to South America; it doesn't even take 30 years. Even limiting tribes to moving a few miles every year the timescales are still absurd.

For the Clovis point archeological evidence there are so few data points that you can make a decent argument that it's completely backwards and that the data suggests that the Clovis migrated from the southern tip of South America to Alaska, which says more about the poor quality of the data set than actual prehistoric movements. It doesn't help that archeologists are pretty sure that the best evidence is underwater, since the Pleistocene sea shore where migrating humans would have moved fastest is way out on the modern ocean floor.

Asian and African migration studies have better evidence but the core problem remains; the genetics is complicated because people were wandering around and trading and having sex in ways that don't fit into a nice thick line on a map.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

John Nance Garner posted:

Why? Because these types of maps are spectacular. Oh, the other is Roosevelt, for the most part.

Any why Utah, New York, New Mexico, Wyoming and Massachusetts big supporters of Taft? (also my home county apparently)

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

neurobasalmedium posted:

US-Canada Border Dispute

If I recall correctly, there's a similar boundary dispute between the US and Canada that neither side wants to resolve, because it resolving in either nation's favor would hurt their claim in the Beaufort Sea.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Haschel Cedricson posted:

If I recall correctly, there's a similar boundary dispute between the US and Canada that neither side wants to resolve, because it resolving in either nation's favor would hurt their claim in the Beaufort Sea.
Border disputes can be weird. For example, Bir Tawil:

In 1899, the British took control of Sudan, administering it (in theory) jointly with Egypt. The border between Egypt and Sudan was set at the 22nd parallel. A few years later in 1902, a separate "administrative boundary" was created, giving parts north of the parallel to Sudan to administer, and parts south of the line to Egypt.

Once Egypt and Sudan became independent, they each preferred the border claim that gave them control of the Hala'ib Triangle: Egypt the 22nd parallel, and Sudan the administrative border. What this means is that Bir Tawil, north of the administrative border but south of the 22nd parallel, isn't claimed by either; and in fact, claiming it would weaken their claim on the preferable Hala'ib Triangle, which is larger and has seacoast.

In practice, Egypt still administers it, they just don't claim it as part of their country. It's a rare example of terra nullius, land unclaimed by any nation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's a rare example of terra nullius, land unclaimed by any nation.

I smell a failed goon project in the making

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I think when prehistorians make up these maps it's important to remember that individual people and even large clan/tribe groups can move much, much faster than the archeological evidence can track. The time scale for the migration between North America and South America for example is based on just a few archeological sites and if you match it up with human walking speed you immediately notice a problem. It doesn't take 30,000 years to walk from Northeast Asia to South America; it doesn't even take 30 years. Even limiting tribes to moving a few miles every year the timescales are still absurd.

For the Clovis point archeological evidence there are so few data points that you can make a decent argument that it's completely backwards and that the data suggests that the Clovis migrated from the southern tip of South America to Alaska, which says more about the poor quality of the data set than actual prehistoric movements. It doesn't help that archeologists are pretty sure that the best evidence is underwater, since the Pleistocene sea shore where migrating humans would have moved fastest is way out on the modern ocean floor.

Asian and African migration studies have better evidence but the core problem remains; the genetics is complicated because people were wandering around and trading and having sex in ways that don't fit into a nice thick line on a map.

Would it be possible for small villages to be buried on the sea floor as well or maybe even a larger structure like Göbekli Tepe?
That would be a really cool find.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sure. Although there are very few places where those villages are likely to have been constructed of something that wouldn't just decay into slime under the ocean. The Black sea is one of those places. Dunno how you'd find them though, most like there's nothing you can do with todays technology but dredge, which obviously isn't going to give you very useful data.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a lot of the ways that we use to guess at where to dig don't work so well if the entire area is covered in tens of feet of soft sediment, not to mention underwater.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

withak posted:

Yeah, a lot of the ways that we use to guess at where to dig don't work so well if the entire area is covered in tens of feet of soft sediment, not to mention underwater.

Well yeah. :(
Maybe one we will be able to find something with small drones or something.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Would it be possible for small villages to be buried on the sea floor as well or maybe even a larger structure like Göbekli Tepe?
That would be a really cool find.

Atlit Yam is such a site, off Israel's coast. Neolithic. According to Wikipedia they've found some structures, a stone circle, some wells, some skeletons.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What's that I see? Is that 8 pixels of Kashmiri territory grouped with Pakistan and not India? Way to piss off a billion people, Microsoft. This is why the time zone map no longer highlights. Related but not a map, they no longer use the word "country" and instead use safer words like "location"; one round of police questioning at Microsoft China, asking why they thought Taiwan was its own country, was enough.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Now I want to make a movie about an overworked code monkey who inadvertently starts a nuclear war between India and Pakistan because of his sloppy coding on the Windows 95 timezone feature, played by Paul Giamatti.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

the Windows 95 timezone feature, played by Paul Giamatti.

And Kevin Spacey as Character Map.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

I'm pretty sure Hockey is more popular than Football in Russia. Probably Czech Republic and Sweden as well.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Shaffness posted:

I'm pretty sure Hockey is more popular than Football in Russia. Probably Czech Republic and Sweden as well.

Ice hockey is big in all of these countries and they're good at it, but football is loving huge. I'm fairly sure that map is accurate at least in terms of ice hockey overall.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I'm a little surprised basketball isn't more popular than football in some of those midwestern states.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The only states that aren't American Football colored are states with bad college football programs

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Personally I'm curious about why table tennis is apparently so popular in China.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm a little surprised basketball isn't more popular than football in some of those midwestern states.

As a Californian that is completely uninterested in Basketball, I find it surprising basketball is so popular here. Is it the Lakers? Socal goons probably have a better idea.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

rscott posted:

The only states that aren't American Football colored are states with bad college football programs

Is that the cause or the effect?

Also, I would have thought RSA would have been rugby, or did that change after Apartheid ended?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

As a Californian that is completely uninterested in Basketball, I find it surprising basketball is so popular here. Is it the Lakers? Socal goons probably have a better idea.

Well California has four NBA teams, so basketball has got to be at least somewhat popular.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm more surprised about Latvia and Lithuania myself. I also love the way that tons of former British empire colonies are more into cricket than Britain herself (except Ireland, we need a smily of a crying potato in front of an Irish tricolor).

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 8, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

No football team and the Lakers. People like winners and when you've won like 1/3 of all championships ever its hard to be more of a winner.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
What kind of popularity is that measuring, anyways? I'd find it hard to believe that the NBA finals or the World Series draws more viewers than the Superbowl in any of those non-football states.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How is skiing popular in Estonia? Where do they even ski? :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KernelSlanders posted:

Also, I would have thought RSA would have been rugby, or did that change after Apartheid ended?
If by that you mean "they allowed black people to take part in polls" then yes, otherwise no. Rugby has always had more of an association with white South Africans, who are only about 10% of the population.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Um, why wouldn't they be abl eto ski there? Cross-country skiing is one of the more popular forms anyways and it's entirely possible in Estonian landscape, ski jumping on the other hand happens on artificial hills anyways. Alpine skiing isn't the only way to ski you know.

Nevertheless, I had no idea it that's popular and I find it hard to believe it attracts more crowds than football.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I think it's cross country. There isn't a single Estonian skiier in the top 30 for ski racing in either mens or womens, but because the map doesn't split up the different skiing disciplines, I think that's what's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

platedlizard posted:

Personally I'm curious about why table tennis is apparently so popular in China.

Communal ping-pong tables.