Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

cobalt impurity posted:

but don't anybody sit on a throne and scowl down at the unwashed peons because their writing tool isn't as bendy in places as yours.
Exactly!

Everyone knows the only thing to look down on others for is those weirdos who insist on posting their caps.

Heathens, the lot of 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

cobalt impurity posted:

don't anybody sit on a throne and scowl down at the unwashed peons because their writing tool isn't as bendy in places as yours

You'll take my Sheaffer snorkel throne from my cold, dead, hands.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got myself a Rotring Esprit a couple years ago and have been using it with montblanc cartridges for a while now.

I'm actually quite happy with the writing, although the pen itself feels a bit light on my hands; but lately I've been getting an itch to start trying out some new inks, maybe get my hands on an italic nib.

Problem is, I have no idea when it comes to this, and supplies over here are nearly non-existent so, questions:

If I wanted to get a converter to start saving up on cartridges and trying out some new inks, which one should I get? According to this, it can fit a long international cartridge. Would this one do the trick?

I never tried taking it apart except for unscrewing the body to switch cartridges, but the nib is set on a plastic fitting that looks like it may unscrew, but it has a weird hexagonal "grip" and I don't want to force it. How would I go around to changing the nib? Can I just get any nib and fit it in there, or do I need one with a "base"?

And finally: is it worth it? Or should I just get a nice new pen with an italic nib from the get go, put a converter in there and be done with it?

Thanks, and sorry for the flurry of dumb questions.

/edit: :v:

I'm all up for suggestions on an italic pen in the ~50 bucks range.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 9, 2013

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

I got a Lammy 1.5mm and it was way too thick of line for everyday use. I recently ordered a 1.1 and it is much much better. Although I think I still perfer the platnium plumix nib, which seems to be slightly wider then 1.1mm.

Edit Question Also:

Trying a sample of 54 massachusetts from noodlers in my lammy alstar 1.1mm. I love the colour. Its another one of the bullet proofs that has a brutal time starting. With my start and stop work routine its brutal! I can't find any colour swabs on goulet that are close to the nice greyish teal. Any idea of a closer non-bullet proof colour?

Rodney Chops fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 9, 2013

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Rodney Chops posted:

I got a Lammy 1.5mm and it was way too thick of line for everyday use. I recently ordered a 1.1 and it is much much better. Although I think I still perfer the platnium plumix nib, which seems to be slightly wider then 1.1mm.

Edit Question Also:

Trying a sample of 54 massachusetts from noodlers in my lammy alstar 1.1mm. I love the colour. Its another one of the bullet proofs that has a brutal time starting. With my start and stop work routine its brutal! I can't find any colour swabs on goulet that are close to the nice greyish teal. Any idea of a closer non-bullet proof colour?

What you really want is Pelikan Blue-Black. It's the best performer among the gray-teal blue-blacks (as opposed to the blue blue-blacks like Lamy Blue-Black). It's not bullet proof but it has a tiny bit of iron gall content.

It has some ingredient that is on some toxic chemical list and can't be imported into the US (despite being totally fine for sale in all of Europe), but there is a Japanese seller on amazon that shipped a bottle to me: http://www.amazon.com/Pelikan-Bottle-76-4001-Blue-Black/dp/B0026I4UGY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1376138803&sr=8-12&keywords=Pelikan+blue+black

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

mulls posted:

It has some ingredient that is on some toxic chemical list and can't be imported into the US (despite being totally fine for sale in all of Europe), but there is a Japanese seller on amazon that shipped a bottle to me: http://www.amazon.com/Pelikan-Bottle-76-4001-Blue-Black/dp/B0026I4UGY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1376138803&sr=8-12&keywords=Pelikan+blue+black

:canada: No dice on amazon.ca for me. After googling it a bit, I found a couple mixtures people said were close. I will just have to order so more samples I guess. I Should just throw out all my bullet proof samples. They always look good, but disappoint for my usage. Thanks for the recommendation.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

You could also try some other irongall inks. Rohrer+Klingner make a good one, Diamine make one, and there's the old reliable ESSRI. ESSRI is my favourite iron-gall.

Just got back from my local fountain pen posse. Some dude brought his giant collection of pens; I suspect he had more than $15,000 worth of writing instruments with him. Some gorgeous Italian and Japanese pens in there, amazing range of celluloid colors, and a few Swans I wanted to adopt. I hope he doesn't continue collecting Swans though, he'll be pricing me out of the market.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
In addition to Pelikan blue-black, Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo also is a tealish gray, a little grayer than Pelikan. I think MB blue-black is close to Pelikan's, but I don't have a bottle of that myself.

Blue-black is my favorite color :) My favorite pigmented blue-black is Sailor seiboku, when it's very wet it gets a nice teal blue that almost flashes purple.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Fuyu-shogun or bust. Blue-grey~

Seriously, it's a very, very nice colour that's good enough to use on formal documents and fun enough for daily writing. I highly recommend it.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 13, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
While we're matching colors, can anybody recommend a close equivalent to El Lawrence from Noodler's? It's one of my favorite inks, but it stains everything it touches pretty severely. I'd go nuts over a similar color that I wouldn't have to worry so much about actually filling my pens with.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SnakesRevenge posted:

While we're matching colors, can anybody recommend a close equivalent to El Lawrence from Noodler's? It's one of my favorite inks, but it stains everything it touches pretty severely. I'd go nuts over a similar color that I wouldn't have to worry so much about actually filling my pens with.

Maybe Iroshizuku Ina-ho, though it might not be dark/saturated enough for you.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got myself a Rotring Esprit a couple years ago and have been using it with montblanc cartridges for a while now.

I'm actually quite happy with the writing, although the pen itself feels a bit light on my hands; but lately I've been getting an itch to start trying out some new inks, maybe get my hands on an italic nib.

Problem is, I have no idea when it comes to this, and supplies over here are nearly non-existent so, questions:

If I wanted to get a converter to start saving up on cartridges and trying out some new inks, which one should I get? According to this, it can fit a long international cartridge. Would this one do the trick?

I never tried taking it apart except for unscrewing the body to switch cartridges, but the nib is set on a plastic fitting that looks like it may unscrew, but it has a weird hexagonal "grip" and I don't want to force it. How would I go around to changing the nib? Can I just get any nib and fit it in there, or do I need one with a "base"?

And finally: is it worth it? Or should I just get a nice new pen with an italic nib from the get go, put a converter in there and be done with it?

Thanks, and sorry for the flurry of dumb questions.

/edit: :v:

I'm all up for suggestions on an italic pen in the ~50 bucks range.

From a brief look around the internet (mostly FPN), if your Rotring esprit isn't one of the telescoping ones, any international standard converter will fit. If you need to use int'l short cartridges, though, you're out of luck. Nothing I've seen has indicated that they have interchangeable nibs, so you're probably out of luck there.

As for italic pens, I don't really have much experience with those beyond those cheap plastic "calligraphy" pens; but I have a letter written in a 1.1 Lamy Joy, and it's pretty consistently thin, sorta like a medium-point felt-tip pen. I'd be tempted to say it's near the thickness you wrote in, but without some sort of reference, I can't say for sure.

Off the top of my head, the Lamy Joy is a safari with a tapered end, so if you don't mind the triangle grip, that might be a cheap-ish choice. Or possibly a Pilot plumix, although I'm not sure how wide their italic points are. On the other hand, if you have a Safari or something laying around, a few bucks will get you a Lamy italic nib and they're interchangeable with (if I recall right) a bit of scotch tape.

Now for an idiot question: what're the odds I can fix/get fixed at low cost the converter/piston in an ahab that's apparently stripped the threads? I can pull it off with drat near no force, so I figure the threads are done for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You could also try some other irongall inks. Rohrer+Klingner make a good one, Diamine make one, and there's the old reliable ESSRI. ESSRI is my favourite iron-gall.

Just got back from my local fountain pen posse. Some dude brought his giant collection of pens; I suspect he had more than $15,000 worth of writing instruments with him. Some gorgeous Italian and Japanese pens in there, amazing range of celluloid colors, and a few Swans I wanted to adopt. I hope he doesn't continue collecting Swans though, he'll be pricing me out of the market.

That pen they got for sale there with the ink, is it any good? Is it somehow designed for use with this ink or am I just thinking too hard about this?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I want to try a bunch of inks at once! Are there any sampler sets that are recommended to buy, or good places to obtain samples, etc? I saw, for example, that Goulet Pens sells 2ml samples for $2.50 of the entire Iroshizuku line; if you wanted the entire set as a sample, it's $54 instead for 24 colors, which is a bit of a discount ($1.13 per sample at that point). I'd be testing with a Pilot Metropolitan (whenever I get around to purchasing things) and a variety of papers (Apica CD, Exacompta, Maruman Eco, Clairefontaine 1951, Maruman Mnemosyne) to see what all works best.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rodney Chops posted:

Zenostein posted:

Info about Lamys and Pilot

Thanks for the input! I ended up getting a Lamy CP1 with a 1.1 italic nib, I may end up getting a bigger one down the road but it should do for everyday writing. My Rotring is not the telescopic one, so I just grabbed an international standard converter while I was at it.

I may have gotten a few inks as well: Diamine Grape, Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Noodler's Tiananmen :shepspends:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

That pen they got for sale there with the ink, is it any good? Is it somehow designed for use with this ink or am I just thinking too hard about this?

Looks like a Parker Vector; they're common pens. Nothing special about the one on the site as far as I can see.

You can use commercial iron-gall inks with most pens; just don't mix with regular inks (and make sure to clean the pen well before you switch inks) and don't leave a full pen sitting for weeks with i-g ink in it.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

SnakesRevenge posted:

Yes, I love El Lawrence's color too! It's such a smoky olive green brown dirty oil color. I'd suggest diluting it with some water to get it a bit less pigmented, and probably keeping it in a converter-only pen so it doesn't stain the pen body of a piston pen...

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Any recommendations for nice pens in the $50-150 range?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Econosaurus posted:

This is the mating call of the TWSBI whore. Diamond 580 and Vac 700 are awesome, others here are fond of the Micarta.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pilot Stargazer?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Econosaurus posted:

Wow, I was literally about to ask the exact same question, and pretty much the same price range. (I will mention that I currently have a TWSBI 580, TWSBI VAC700, Monteverde Invincia Stylus, Pilot Metropolitan, Platinum Preppy, and a couple of Lamy Safari/Vistas, if anyone has suggestions other than these).

Also, I was wondering if some folks could talk a bit about Noodler's Air Corp Blue Green. I currently have their regular Blue Green, and it is one of my absolute favorites. However, none of the reviews I read or swabs I looked at online really helped me. I am curious as to how the two Blue Greens compare. Also what are your opinions and experiences with ACBG(i.e. not comparing it to the regular Blue Green, but just on its own merit).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

A Lamy 2000 is around $130 on Amazon right now. Fantastic pen if you like that Bauhaus design.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Now I'm starting to feel bad about buying that Lamy CP1 with all those recommendations. :(

I had taken a look at the 580, but something about it being plastic and transparent just set off warning alarms in my head, I kept picturing using it for a month and it transforming into a scratched, ink-stained mess.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now I'm starting to feel bad about buying that Lamy CP1 with all those recommendations. :(

I had taken a look at the 580, but something about it being plastic and transparent just set off warning alarms in my head, I kept picturing using it for a month and it transforming into a scratched, ink-stained mess.

I've used a Diamond 540 for over a year and a half at work every day and it looks great. It's not perfect by any means, but it still impresses people when I let them try it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Econosaurus posted:

Well poo poo, clicked reply and noticed that everyone already jumped all over this. It is basically the sweet spot price-range wise for good pens. So any TWSBI, the Montverde Invincias, Pilot Vanishing Point, Namiki Falcon, Lamy CP1, Pelikan M150, Lamy 2000, Sailor 1911M, maybe one of the Pilot Custom pens, etc. For practical get something like the TWSBI 580 or the Lamy 2000, for fancy get something with a gold nib. Hell you could probably find a vintage Parker 51 in that range too.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Also, what are folks' thoughts on the Lamy Studio? I have a few Amazon gift cards to burn and that red one with the gold nib is rather nice looking.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have the TWSBI 580, and the 580 and the VAC700 are my two favorite pens. I haven't dropped then from significant height or done anything that might potentially crack it, but I have yet to have any problem with either getting scratched. I have also not had any problem with staining in either of them-although I assume that might depend more on the ink than the pen. They both write like dreams and have just the right heft, size, and grip for me.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Are there any pens in the $30-$50 range that either have an italic nib or can take a separate italic nib, and are prettier than a lamy pen? I have a Lamy Joy with a 1.1 steel nib. It writes as well as I expect it to, not as beautifully as a very nice, expensive pen, but well enough for my use. Thing is, even after having it for six months, I still think it's the ugliest thing. I don't like any of the Lamy designs, though. The Joy is a Safari with a longer body, the 2000 looks like it was extruded from a 3D printer. The caps on their lower-end pens are the ugliest.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Nothing in that range is going to have swappable nibs like the LAMY pens do, but the Pilot 78G comes to mind because i have one.

They're on Todd's site - isellpens - and probably Amazon, too. They're asian-market only so Goulet etc wont have them.
Much less than $30, they have a plastic body. Comes with a converter for bottled ink and takes Pilot cartridges. The "B" nib is what you want; it's not really "B" - it's more italic.

The nibs might be swappable with the Pilot Plumix; I haven't checked.

But really in the $30-$50 range there are tons. What look do you like?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

GabrielAisling posted:

Are there any pens in the $30-$50 range that either have an italic nib or can take a separate italic nib, and are prettier than a lamy pen? I have a Lamy Joy with a 1.1 steel nib. It writes as well as I expect it to, not as beautifully as a very nice, expensive pen, but well enough for my use. Thing is, even after having it for six months, I still think it's the ugliest thing. I don't like any of the Lamy designs, though. The Joy is a Safari with a longer body, the 2000 looks like it was extruded from a 3D printer. The caps on their lower-end pens are the ugliest.

You can get a TWSBI 580 with an italic nib for $55 on Goulet Pens, and you can get a Goulet Italic Nib and swap it into a pen that uses #6 nibs like a Noodler Ahad or Konrad, $15 for the nib and $20 for those pens.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

laertes22 posted:

Wow, I was literally about to ask the exact same question, and pretty much the same price range. (I will mention that I currently have a TWSBI 580, TWSBI VAC700, Monteverde Invincia Stylus, Pilot Metropolitan, Platinum Preppy, and a couple of Lamy Safari/Vistas, if anyone has suggestions other than these).

Also, I was wondering if some folks could talk a bit about Noodler's Air Corp Blue Green. I currently have their regular Blue Green, and it is one of my absolute favorites. However, none of the reviews I read or swabs I looked at online really helped me. I am curious as to how the two Blue Greens compare. Also what are your opinions and experiences with ACBG(i.e. not comparing it to the regular Blue Green, but just on its own merit).

I can't compare the ACBG to their normal blue-green but I use it as a switch-out from Noodler's 54th Massachusetts when I'm bored of blue-black. The final colour is pretty heavily dependent on the paper you're writing on - if I use it on the standard medical record paper at work then it comes out pretty closer to black with a slight tint of green and takes ages to dry, if I use it in a Moleskine or Clairefontaine notebook then it dries very rapidly and comes out dark green. That erratic final colour depending on paper kinda makes it a rather niche ink - not easy to use as your daily ink unless you only write on the same paper all the time.

Best to grab a sampler of the ACBG to see how it works on your normal writing material.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'd like to post my gratitude to this thread--I've purchased my first ever fountain pen (gold Pilot Metropolitan with zig-zags) and I absolutely love it. It's made writing a wonderful experience. On that note, I'd like to ask for ink recommendations. I wanted a green-black ink and bought Noodler's Zhivago. I'm ambivalent towards it. It's a drab green color with black. I'm looking for a more emerald-black kind of color. I'm using Diamine's emerald for now. Does anyone have a good green-black ink recommendation?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

GabrielAisling posted:

I would really recommend buying a Pilot Metropolitan and a Plumix and swapping the nibs. It'll still run you only around $30 and you get a great looking metal pen with a really fun nib. I also have a Noodler's Konrad with a Monteverde stub nib (which you could use one of the Goulet Pens nibs as well for probably a few bucks less) If you want to go closer to (and past) the 50 dollar mark, go for a TWSBI Diamond 540. I'd stick with the 1.1 as has been stated above, as the 1.5 is a pretty significant line.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Minenfeld! posted:

I'd like to post my gratitude to this thread--I've purchased my first ever fountain pen (gold Pilot Metropolitan with zig-zags) and I absolutely love it. It's made writing a wonderful experience. On that note, I'd like to ask for ink recommendations. I wanted a green-black ink and bought Noodler's Zhivago. I'm ambivalent towards it. It's a drab green color with black. I'm looking for a more emerald-black kind of color. I'm using Diamine's emerald for now. Does anyone have a good green-black ink recommendation?

Try diluting it a bit with water? You can probably try 1 water : 4 ink and go from there. Noodler's is really pigmented and I dilute several of his inks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brightman posted:

Well poo poo, clicked reply and noticed that everyone already jumped all over this. It is basically the sweet spot price-range wise for good pens. So any TWSBI, the Montverde Invincias, Pilot Vanishing Point, Namiki Falcon, Lamy CP1, Pelikan M150, Lamy 2000, Sailor 1911M, maybe one of the Pilot Custom pens, etc. For practical get something like the TWSBI 580 or the Lamy 2000, for fancy get something with a gold nib. Hell you could probably find a vintage Parker 51 in that range too.

The 2k actually has a gold nib! Plated with platinum.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Kessel posted:

The 2k actually has a gold nib! Plated with platinum.

Opps, I've only ever just looked at it before. Well poo poo, now I sorta want one too, except I don't really care for hooded nibs.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

I can't compare the ACBG to their normal blue-green but I use it as a switch-out from Noodler's 54th Massachusetts when I'm bored of blue-black. The final colour is pretty heavily dependent on the paper you're writing on - if I use it on the standard medical record paper at work then it comes out pretty closer to black with a slight tint of green and takes ages to dry, if I use it in a Moleskine or Clairefontaine notebook then it dries very rapidly and comes out dark green. That erratic final colour depending on paper kinda makes it a rather niche ink - not easy to use as your daily ink unless you only write on the same paper all the time.

Best to grab a sampler of the ACBG to see how it works on your normal writing material.

Much thanks for this. Some of the reviews that I read mention that it changes color based on the paper, so having this confirmed helps. I use a wide variety of paper-both "good" paper like Rhodia and CF, as well as crappy notebook paper at work. I am also a big fan of 54th Mass, which is what I currently swap out when I am bored of the regular Blue Green, so maybe ACBG will give me a 3rd option. I think I am going to give ACBG a shot when I do my next big order.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Brightman posted:

I think I am leaning towards a Pilot/Namiki, as I was just blown out of the water by the Pilot Metropolitan. Can someone talk about the Pilot Vanishing Point vs. the Namiki Falcon?
For example, what are the pros and cons of each? your personal experiences with each? How are their respective reputations? (is one regarded as "better"; or does one have a common flaw or problem?). Or, is there a better Pilot/Namiki pen in the same price range that I am possibly overlooking?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

laertes22 posted:

I think I am leaning towards a Pilot/Namiki, as I was just blown out of the water by the Pilot Metropolitan. Can someone talk about the Pilot Vanishing Point vs. the Namiki Falcon?
For example, what are the pros and cons of each? your personal experiences with each? How are their respective reputations? (is one regarded as "better"; or does one have a common flaw or problem?). Or, is there a better Pilot/Namiki pen in the same price range that I am possibly overlooking?

I think they both run about $130. You can generally find a VP for around $99 sometimes, mostly on eBay I think. I haven't used the Falcon, but a big difference is it has a flex nib. Someone that actually has one or has used one will need to pipe up about how well that works though.

The Pilot VP is great to write with, and the click-pen gimmick is handy, albeit can make the nib a bit dry sometimes after prolonged periods of not being used (like a few days to a week). I like the aesthetic of the VP a lot too, but some people are turned off by it or dislike the clip-grip deal. The capacity is also generally annoyingly small due to the Con-50 converter, but it can be swapped out for a Con-20 or you could use a cartridge and syringe...actually I really should start doing that with it I think. Overall it's a really smooth writer with an unique look.

Edit: Looks like the VPs are 140 on the main pen sites, but they're only 108 on Amazon.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 14, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brightman posted:

Opps, I've only ever just looked at it before. Well poo poo, now I sorta want one too, except I don't really care for hooded nibs.

The Lamy 2000 is a very good pen in its price range, with a really good nib. There's a reason so many goons use one and it makes so many recommendation lists for someone looking to step up from their first Safari or TWSBI.

laertes22 posted:

As mentioned, the VP trades off - you get the convenience of not having a cap, but you may or may not like the clip system and the pen dries out more easily because there's simply no way to manufacture a perfect seal on that capless design. The Falcon is a writer's pen and very ordinary in all aspects. I have an SF nib on mine and that makes it a lot more interesting.

You may also want to take a look at the Custom Heritage 92: http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/custom_heritage92/ - it's a piston-filler demonstrator like the TWSBI, but it comes with a 14k gold nib instead of steel. It can be a bit of a stiffer writer because it uses Pilot's size 5 nib, which is their small nib, but it's a very capable daily writer and a real beater of a pen.

I own /far/ too many Japanese FPs for my own good :v: so if you have a question about a particular model you've spotted, don't hesitate to ask!

edit - oh yeah. If you want to step up in budget a little bit there is a real gem sitting just above this price point: the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 (equivalent to the Custom 742 but with rhodium furniture and a more modern look) http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/custom_heritage912/

That has a 14k gold nib, but it's a Pilot size 10, which is absolutely one of the best nibs from any maker in that price range until you step up to the size 15 monstrosities. More importantly, the 912 allows you to choose from an absolutely bewildering array of nibs: EF・F・SF・FM・SFM・M・SM・B・BB・PO・FA・WA・SU・C・MS, and it takes a CON-70.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013
So I found what appears to be a gold nibbed pen at a pawn shop but don't know the brand. Anyone know much about Levenger? It's gold colored, has a screw on cap, and is a fairly simple design. It is a single taper while closed, thickest part is the cap, and it has engraved lines running lengthwise. It's nice and heavy and super solid feeling. I believe the model number is PI600, but I can't find it on the googles. Anyone know if it's worth the $50 they're asking? Also, it's in brand new condition.

xilixliadon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 15, 2013