Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It does work reliably. If you use the www version of the site. Since all the links end up having the 'www.' in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Kgummy posted:

Wait, there was a time when John appeared in the past updates, retconned in, besides the arms?

As for the arms, wasn't one of the panels after John touched the artifact shown actually being the first page/panel? Or am I misremembering?

I kind of assumed if that wasn't retconned, then the arms wouldn't be put in at all, but apparently I missed something.

Kind of. There were the arms that happened, then after john fell all the way in the artifact, there were scenes like this: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008072.

They weren't plot intensive either, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
John you are RUINING EVERYTHING.

Please continue.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm beggining to think that Grimbark Jade won't "revert" now, she'll just stop being evil because it's so hard and frustrating.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Can John erase glitches over TCP/IP? Maybe we will even find out.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
At least the Mayor is safe yet again.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Watch, while John uses his windy thing to blow away the glitch glitter, he'll accidentally blow the Mayor into the lava.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I feel like Dave, with all his 'I'm not a reluctant hero' talk, has almost become a Reluctant Reluctant Hero.

the update posted:

DAVE: god drat jade
DAVE: why would you do that you know eventually id probably start using my powers and reluctantly start embracing my role as a reluctant hero
DAVE: that poo poo always happens

Nice call. :golfclap:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How did we live so long without John, Dave and Jade getting to chat on the regular? John's endlessly apologetic "sorry! didn't mean to interrupt! maybe you could go back to arguing?", Jade kinda just shrugging off the whole evil thing, Dave's discomfort with John's weird powers, all of it's so great.

I also like that now Dave and Jade think Jade was going to succeed with killing the Mayor if John hadn't interrupted. I'm also a little surprised that if he was going to do this anyway, why Hussie didn't just have the Mayor die beforehand? It'd give this scene more emotional punch (but less dramatic irony, I guess).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If ANYTHING results in less irony, it will not be done.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also we wouldn't have seen that sheer HAPPINESS Dave had rescuing the mayor.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Dolash posted:

How did we live so long without John, Dave and Jade getting to chat on the regular? John's endlessly apologetic "sorry! didn't mean to interrupt! maybe you could go back to arguing?", Jade kinda just shrugging off the whole evil thing, Dave's discomfort with John's weird powers, all of it's so great.

I also like that now Dave and Jade think Jade was going to succeed with killing the Mayor if John hadn't interrupted. I'm also a little surprised that if he was going to do this anyway, why Hussie didn't just have the Mayor die beforehand? It'd give this scene more emotional punch (but less dramatic irony, I guess).

If Hussie killed him off then this wouldn't have happened

and I don't think anyone wants to live in that world

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

A little concerned about Dave's choice of the word "heretical" considering what happened to the last character that was throwing around terms like that. :ohdear:

HONK

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 8, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John isn't traveling through time; rather, he's traveling through the chronology of the story. John is unaware that he's in a story, of course, so that's why he thinks he's time traveling, and also why he doesn't perceive any logic to his appearances and disappearances. He's literally following the plot. He's appearing in the parts of the story that are being depicted or narrated. Which is pretty meta.

Who else do we know who's following the story in that way?

Edit: the endgame is going to be John becoming aware of the reader, in some dim and indirect way. Probably.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 8, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Edit: the endgame is going to be John becoming aware of the reader, in some dim and indirect way. Probably.

Eh. He's already used to having an audience in the form of the trolls. Would knowledge of readers really change anything for him?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I haven't been very active on the Homestuck fanmusic front in a while, but today I wrote a song about the Mayor. Because everyone loves the Mayor.

fake edit: I also made a song about Eridan but who cares about him

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobulus posted:

Eh. He's already used to having an audience in the form of the trolls. Would knowledge of readers really change anything for him?

The readers are way, way weirder than the trolls. Enough to genuinely freak John out? Who knows.

An Animal Man moment in a webcomic like Homestuck might be kind of interesting to watch in progress though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Thundarr posted:

The readers are way, way weirder than the trolls. Enough to genuinely freak John out? Who knows.

I would probably freak out as well if I knew I had legions of people who use Tumblr watching me and my every move.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Triskelli posted:

A little concerned about Dave's choice of the word "heretical" considering what happened to the last character that was throwing around terms like that. :ohdear:

HONK

It actually reminds me of Aradia when she's talking about some ambiguous 'master' she serves and a plan that must occur and all that stuff she was talking to John about. I don't know why, but I guess its just gives me the impression that Time players are into things having to happen a certain way. Though since Caliborn is the one seemingly deciding the Alpha timeline, loving with his narrative can only likely be a good thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like that he's now officially the Mayor rather than "WV".

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Thundarr posted:

An Animal Man moment in a webcomic like Homestuck might be kind of interesting to watch in progress though.

You mean an Humanimal man moment. But that's already in the comic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For those that didn't read Animal Man (the run we're talking about was quite good, btw), he's a b-list DC comic book character that goes on a spirit journey and finds out a deep secret of the universe: that he is a comic book character and we're all watching him. Thankfully, he's not wacky like Deadpool. He reacts like a normal person and gets freaked out by it, doesn't really tell anyone about it because he knows it would only freak them out, and occasionally uses 4th-wall-breaking to his advantage.

A lot of the panel-breaking stuff that Hussie has been doing lately in Homestuck reminds me of Animal Man:

And I could honestly see Caliborn going out this way when everything is said and done:

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
John has retconning power he has no control over? Looks like hussi is writing himself out of a corner.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

When I see Mayor chat, this is all I can think.
(He's a Mayo at best)

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 9, 2013

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Aradia joined the treasure hunt because she wanted to see what happened when the whole place broke apart. (or something like that) I wonder if she was referring to the weird retcon powers John has now.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Boneless Jogger posted:

Aradia joined the treasure hunt because she wanted to see what happened when the whole place broke apart. (or something like that) I wonder if she was referring to the weird retcon powers John has now.

"i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart" is how she put it, yeah. I think it's more likely to be about LE literally breaking it to pieces than about John's metaphorical, narrative-breaking thing, though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I dunno if anyone else here has played Papers, Please (you should), but this lady passed through my checkpoint today. :allears:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

"i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart" is how she put it, yeah. I think it's more likely to be about LE literally breaking it to pieces than about John's metaphorical, narrative-breaking thing, though.
Either that or the fallout from all the time loops closing. Like Dave, I wouldn't be surprised if she also stopped all her time traveling after reaching God Tier. I get the sense that she knows how this is all going to end and wants to see what happens next, too.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I dunno if anyone else here has played Papers, Please (you should), but this lady passed through my checkpoint today. :allears:

My Terezi's a foreigner and her passport's expired and she's lying about her stay duration :(

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Casull posted:

My Terezi's a foreigner and her passport's expired and she's lying about her stay duration :(

Discrepancies? She doesn't see any discrepancies. :v:

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Oh no it's time for That Conversation!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I wonder why, on my very first read, I was so "meh" on Rose. She was, like, the least interesting of the four kids to me. I think it's because english isnt' my first language, so I tend to lose concentration when text becomes too verbose. But actually, Rose is so loving great. She's still not dave, but of the original four, I think the derse kids are my favorites.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
There really is just something amazing about the Derse kids. Every one. And I am really looking forward to seeing Gamzee soon. I just need more Gamzee in this act act intermission.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
The thing I appreciate about Rose is that she's dry and wry but she still has an emotional range. She's shown embarrassment and rage and humor. Things get under her skin. She isn't an unassailable, smug porcelain princess.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

What even is "That Conversation?" I'm not remembering anything Kanaya and Rose need to talk about?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Grand Gigas posted:

What even is "That Conversation?" I'm not remembering anything Kanaya and Rose need to talk about?

Capitalizing the first letter of words in the middle of a sentence is just a jokey way of signifying how you would stress the words in a spoken conversation, like italics. That And Capitalizing Words Is Kind Of Kanaya's Thing.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

WhiffleballDude posted:

Capitalizing the first letter of words in the middle of a sentence is just a jokey way of signifying how you would stress the words in a spoken conversation, like italics. That And Capitalizing Words Is Kind Of Kanaya's Thing.

I figured, but I was convinced there had been Something I Had Missed.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Grand Gigas posted:

I figured, but I was convinced there had been Something I Had Missed.

Nah, she's just remarking how she should be talking to Kanaya about all these things instead of mumbling to herself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Gigas posted:

I'm not entirely sure either, but since it's coming after a "I'm not sure I even care anymore" speech I'm a bit worried, assuming it isn't "I should be talking to Kanaya (Who Talks Like This) about this" rather than a specific "This Conversation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Probably she's just having an introspective moment and wants to share it with Kanaya. Whether Kanaya is up for it at the moment, trapped as she is with Jane who is alternatively threatening and trying to sell her things, is another matter. Hopefully their conversation will be more productive and less acrimonious than their last.