Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For future reference, how do the notable Japanese outfielders in this game like Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, and Norichika Aoki normalize? Is Fukudome worth having around?

I ask because I was toying with having a team where my entire outfield and bullpen is Japanese.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That seems pretty restrictive, who's in the bullpen outside of Shigetoshi Hasegawa and Takashi Saito?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

My records through 10 games in the WISC:
70m 8-2
80m 2-8
90m 2-8
100m 0-10
110m 8-2
120m 7-3

That 100m team has only been blown out once. Just about every game has been 1-2 runs including a 1-0 loss this morning. That's maddening.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

That seems pretty restrictive, who's in the bullpen outside of Shigetoshi Hasegawa and Takashi Saito?

Koji Uehara, Junichi Tazawa, Kaz Sasaki, Hideki Okajima, Shingo Takatsu, and maybe Iwakuma, Ostuka or Nomo as a mop-up or long reliever depending on cap.

Sadly you couldn't really have a starting rotation consisting of Japanese pitchers (even though there's enough dudes), I tried that in my free exhibition season and Nomo's rookie year was the only effective one.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 8, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Koji Uehara, Junichi Tazawa, Kaz Sasaki, Hideki Okajima, Shingo Takatsu, and maybe Iwakuma, Ostuka or Nomo as a mop-up or long reliever depending on cap.

Sadly you couldn't really have a starting rotation consisting of Japanese pitchers (even though there's enough dudes), I tried that in my free exhibition season and Nomo's rookie year was the only effective one.

After this season, 2013 Hiroki Kuroda might be effective.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Same for Iwakuma, he's having a really good year.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

And Darvish, although his strikeouts may price him way too high for his value.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Here's the WISC update I have to offer: Bip Roberts .333/.424/.431

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Groucho Marxist posted:

Here's the WISC update I have to offer: Bip Roberts .333/.424/.431

1942 Ted Williams .200/.284/.300

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
i'm an idiot who has no coherent strategy but here's this bullshit anyway. also i'm enough of a pretentions idiot to name all my teams chess pieces.

Also, all loaded into draft center after the fact so positions might looks weird.

70M: "Pawn"
Ballpark: Polo Grounds
Current Record: 6-9

I was scared about this team not having enough PA and, well,

I'd say the build leaned SLIGHTLY towards a more competetive 120m but it's still not great there. I don't like this theme (i don't like many themes im crotchety)

for reference at 120m we have

----

80M: "Knight (.324/2.01)"
Ballpark: Pacific Bell Park
Current Record: 8-7

"You know who are both good cookies? Addie Joss and Wade Boggs." My first build worked out well and my second aworked out less well, this is probably the team that I spent the least time on it but i'm cool with it aside from the scary defense. Hopefully stays above .500.

----

90M: "Bishop (Cleveland 02-26)"
Ballpark: League Park (I)
Current Record: 10-5

Cleveland 02-26 was by far the most selected year combo and it should be pretty obvious why: great deadball pitching ahoy. I'm less confident in my hitter selection and a lot of dead-ish money invested in the bench but all should be well.

----

100M: "Rook('09 Naps/'88 Orioles)"
Ballpark: Memorial Stadium
Current Record:: 5-10

Cleveland '10 was by far the most used team in this theme, whereas cleveland '09 was the sole purview of fellow loving Fool Devomac and myself. I don't think this team is .333 bad but I don't have confidence in it compared to other builds that could have happened. bonus points for Unironic gently caress Face Usage though

----

110M: "Queen"
Ballpark: Petco Park
Current Record: 9-6

A hosed up hodgepode of triples, walks, and steals trying to exploit petco's effects that otherwise let me skimp (and there for upgrade) pas/ips. This is for everyone who said "my first thought was Deion Sanders..." but didn't actually go through with it. Micromanaging this team is hell.

----

120M: "King"
Ballpark: Fenway Park
Current Record: 10-5

I love this dumb team, finally a not terribly restrictive theme that lets you just scream "gently caress YOU, I'M GONNA HIT A LOT OF DOUBLES IN FENWAY PARK BECAUSE I HAVE A HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS." The benefits of '87's hitting outweighed '08's pitching for me, so the pitching isn't QUITE where i want it but gently caress You, Doubles. Team gonna own.

I'll need a little luck to make the next round but it's possible I suppose!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

gently caress Sim League Baseball

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
:woop:

I won a world series! :woop:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

For future reference, how do the notable Japanese outfielders in this game like Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, and Norichika Aoki normalize? Is Fukudome worth having around?

I ask because I was toying with having a team where my entire outfield and bullpen is Japanese.

I was bored tonight so I drew up what a very rough sample of an all-Japanese team would look like.

There's a massive hole at SS, and as far as I can tell, no Japanese player in the database has any time at 1B, so you'd have to play one of the OF OOP. The rotation is definitely stretched thin, but I guess the bullpen at least should be good. In fact, there are way more available pitchers than hitters. I left out Tomo Ohka, Masato Yoshii, Kazuhisa Ishii, Kenshin Kawakami, and others, because they weren't very good, and I only used Dave Roberts because I couldn't find anyone else. I guess this team would specialize in speed and defense, but even there you just have a couple guys who are really good. This would be a lot more interesting after this season, as has been mentioned, with Iwakuma, more Kuroda, and more Kawasaki.

Is there even a park that could get this team, in its current state to succeed?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did you do that in a league you were gonna sign up for? It doesn't look like you did that in dream team mode.

Kawasaki is awesome. I seriously wish he was good enough to be an everyday guy.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
This is the all-Asian team I made a few years ago. It went 81-81

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

uublog is a Hitlermonster for not having Murakami on his mock

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
gently caress I knew I forgot someone

tbh I'm kinda pissed at him for sucking on my goon team so he's on selective reassignment until he can get through an inning without giving up like four runs

uublog fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 11, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The 130M league filled up. We start tomorrow. http://imgur.com/HFAZyM1

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The 130M league filled up. We start tomorrow. http://imgur.com/HFAZyM1

Hope to see you in the finals.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Ivan Drago posted:

My records through 10 games in the WISC:
70m 8-2
80m 2-8
90m 2-8
100m 0-10
110m 8-2
120m 7-3
I've somehow climbed into 4th place overall despite three teams that started a collective 4-32, including that 100m that made it to 0-12.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Colin Cowherd is doing a meet and greet at a bar here in Vegas this weekend. What question should I ask him?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

HanabaL03 posted:

Colin Cowherd is doing a meet and greet at a bar here in Vegas this weekend. What question should I ask him?

Ask him what he thinks of the What If Sports sim nerfing hitting pitchers like Bob Caruthers.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

poop on him

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My $110 mil WISC team is frustrating as hell. I never thought at any point that it would be my worst team. I built it to hit dingers and that's all they do. I'm leading the league in HRs by over 20 at this point but I'm last in batting average and 23/24 in OBP. To top it off my cookie pitching staff with 1485 innings and no mopup scrubs is getting beat around and dancing on the fatigue line.

9-21 and currently on an L8
Look upon my works ye mighty and despair

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Second best record in the league, second place. :sigh:

wis.txt

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
My WISC teams are all uniformly terrible (there is a risk I'll come dead last overall) but somehow this happened:

e: 40m.jpg (not a wisc team)

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 21, 2013

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Man, I'm not lighting the world on fire, but I've had a 5-1, some 4-2s, haven't had a losing update in a couple of days, things are finally looking on the up and u-

gently caress ME

11 of my last 22 losses have been by one run wheeeeeeeeeeeee

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know you guys have said that 1930's era hitters don't normalize well, but does that apply to pitchers as well? Because 1933 Carl Hubbell looks really good.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

I know you guys have said that 1930's era hitters don't normalize well, but does that apply to pitchers as well? Because 1933 Carl Hubbell looks really good.

there aren't any good 1930s pitchers :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I dunno. Hubbell's numbers are pretty good in 1933. 23-12, 1.66 ERA, 308.2 IP, 0.98 WHIP, 156 K.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

I dunno. Hubbell's numbers are pretty good in 1933. 23-12, 1.66 ERA, 308.2 IP, 0.98 WHIP, 156 K.

an erc# of 2.01 isn't that great for over $11m

e: he seems like he would be fine though, low homerun rate and ok walk rate

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

an erc# of 2.01 isn't that great for over $11m

e: he seems like he would be fine though, low homerun rate and ok walk rate

What's erc?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ERC (Component ERA) is a Bill James ERA estimator based on hits, walks, and dingers, which happen to be the key factors that WIS uses for pitcher outcomes. ERC# is normalized ERC since WIS uses seasonal normalization. ERC# should probably be your default pitching search category although it's not the be-all, end-all.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Your pitcher search criteria should be ordered by ERC# and then include BB/9#, K/9#, and HR/9#. Use the BB, K and HR refinements to select between similar ERC's based on your park factors (you DID select your park first yes?). Also throw in IP/G for the info.

In almost all cases, you will (non-intuitively) want the lowest K/9# you can find among pitcher's whose ERC#'s are acceptable. This is because in the sim, an out is determined before the TYPE of out is determined, and hits allowed are controlled largely by the pitcher. Thus, K's serve only a small purpose in that they will avoid the chance of a defensive misplay event. They are not at all as valuable as they are in real life and they are priced disproportionately to their purpose in the sim.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

toadee don't be a hater

Ks own and Randy Johnson is sad at you thinking he costs too much

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

ERC (Component ERA) is a Bill James ERA estimator based on hits, walks, and dingers, which happen to be the key factors that WIS uses for pitcher outcomes. ERC# is normalized ERC since WIS uses seasonal normalization. ERC# should probably be your default pitching search category although it's not the be-all, end-all.

I'm not sure I understand how I'd measure it when putting together a team.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Oh, are you still on the beginner search options? If so, immediately switch that to advanced and you can choose what stats are in your search criteria. Put in the stats toadee mentioned. (If this is the case don't feel bad everyone finds out about advanced search the hard way)

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Oh, are you still on the beginner search options? If so, immediately switch that to advanced and you can choose what stats are in your search criteria. Put in the stats toadee mentioned. (If this is the case don't feel bad everyone finds out about advanced search the hard way)

located as such

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

also while the advanced search options may seem complicated and the #s weirdly specific, really this just serves to eliminate having to pore through a bunch of dudes from the 50s or whatever to find someone actually decent hidden in that pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

After a 4-2 PM2 I'm sitting at exactly .500 in the WISC. My teams were a combined 30 under at one point, maybe even closer to 40 under. My disappointing 110M team has clawed back to .500, and my 120M team has been hotter than the sun. Never fear though, my 80M team still sucks balls.

e: 120M is fun

Devo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 28, 2013

• Locked thread