Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

I like todays Independent cartoon, also on a side note: the 30 year secret rule is changed to 20. But can't release all 10 years in one time as it takes forever so every year untill its down to 20 they will be releasing 2 years of secrets instead of 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Fluo posted:

I like todays Independent cartoon, also on a side note: the 30 year secret rule is changed to 20. But can't release all 10 years in one time as it takes forever so every year untill its down to 20 they will be releasing 2 years of secrets instead of 1.

And by secrets we mean awful poo poo even the selfish fuckheads in charge are embarrassed by. As if the 80s didn't seem bad enough by what we already have in the public record :smithicide:

God I can't even begin to imagine how awful the 2020s is going to feel once we all learn what Blair was really saying behind closed doors...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord of the Llamas posted:

God I can't even begin to imagine how awful the 2020s is going to feel once we all learn what Blair was really saying behind closed doors...

You're expecting surprises?

I like Ben Jennings's style, if I knew anything about art I'm sure I'd have a better reference, but it reminds me of the land of the living sequence in Grim Fandango :3:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

It doesn't get that much media attention, but they're constantly talking in the second house about how to winnow down the peers. They can't just depeer everyone who hasn't shown up in half a year, because that would leave the the hoards who attend faithfully but still never do anything. A lord who was more openly greedy than most suggested he would gladly retire if the government would cut him a cheque, to which the government responded it'd rather wait for him to loving die.
It's a problem that will solve itself in my opinion. In a couple more years it'll be like Hillsborough in there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And by secrets we mean awful poo poo even the selfish fuckheads in charge are embarrassed by. As if the 80s didn't seem bad enough by what we already have in the public record :smithicide:

It can't be worse than what he was saying in the open.

I like the drop to 20 years. It increases the chance that an evil oval office will still be in some form of office when what he's done comes to light.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

From the If... archives

The Falklands War is over. News of the victory reaches HMS Incredible, while Harry Hardnose returns to Britain with column inches to fill and charity for an extremely deserving case...

(Ref: Social Democratic Party)

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
e: Cloud Potato is better at this than I am, how could I leave out Stephen Collins? :negative:

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 3, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Twitter and the Home Office's crackdown on illegal immigration – The Home Office has found itself at the centre of a Twitter storm amid mounting criticism of its tactics to crack down on illegal immigration"

Telegraph:

Italy ex-PM Berlusconi in angry tirade at jail ruling

Independent:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Observer:

"The Tories and the 'desolate' north - Chris Riddell on an energy policy that suggests vote-losing fracking should be avoided in the south"

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the British embassy in Yemen – Foreign Office says British embassy closed as precautionary measure as US issues global travel alert"

Telegraph:

Zimbabwe President Mugabe re-elected amid fraud claims.

Independent:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wonder if Cameron will ever end up transformed into some... creature of terror by Rowson. You can't really call his Blair a caricature, it's a description that totally misses the point.

Nice bit of patronising the ex-colonies there from Adams. Ha ha stupid naive Tsvangirai, Mugabe was obviously going to steal the election again, but you trusted him! Africans and their 'politics' am I right :wotwot:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

TWITTER DEVICES

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

The expression on the Lib Dem bird's face is awesome. :3:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

baka kaba posted:

Nice bit of patronising the ex-colonies there from Adams. Ha ha stupid naive Tsvangirai, Mugabe was obviously going to steal the election again, but you trusted him! Africans and their 'politics' am I right :wotwot:

I think you're being a bit hypercritical. Is a white western journalist essentially forbidden from commenting on African current events ? Under the circumstances, I think that cartoon is just about perfect with the single exception of his feeling the need to label the ball "Elections" in the first frame. I'm not one of those GNNNNNNNNLAAAAAABELLLZ people, but that seemed wholly uneccesary in this case.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's more the patronising tone aimed at Tsvangirai, as though he's some trusting credulous idiot instead of someone with direct and very personal experience of running against Mugabe and the consequences of doing so. There's a fair amount of political calculus involved in deciding whether to take part in unfair elections and how to proceed afterwards, a lot of people are putting themselves at risk by taking this forward, and Tsvangirari has been on the news a lot lately answering questions on exactly this subject.

So to see all that ignored and recast as naive Charlie Brown antics, where Adams knows Mugabe will cheat but Tsvangirai (his long-time political rival and the prime minister of the country) is clueless and gullible, it comes across as pretty drat patronising yeah

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Charlie Brown knows that Lucy will cheat, the question is always what will he tell himself to shake off his nihilism and try to kick the ball. Given the depressive, cagey interviews I heard Zimbabweans giving before the election, it's quite the apt metaphor.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on zero-hour contracts – Poll of more than 1,000 employers reveals controversial contract used far more widely in the UK than government data suggests"

Telegraph:

World's first lab-grown burger is eaten in London.

Independent:

Mail:

quote:

'But if we're both working, who'll look after the kids? says mum...I've got an idea, says dad.'
Childcare voucher scheme: Plan 'will include parents who are carers'

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on rising executive salaries at foreign aid charities – Research shows number of bosses on six-figure salaries at 14 leading charities has risen by nearly 60% in past three years"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Killer dogs' owners in England and Wales could face life in prison

Mail:
"Some heads of charities are earning well over £100.000 a year."

quote:

“Be patient, baby. There are hungry charity executives at the front of the queue.”

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Willikers, a black person without coal skin OR honking red lips. Truly Mac is a paragon of tolerance.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Charities just as poo poo as the rest of the private sector? Colour me shocked :O

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Charities just as poo poo as the rest of the private sector? Colour me shocked :O

But I want to have low taxes so I can give cash to charities so I feel like a special snowflake and not helping people in general by paying my taxes! :bonosay:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"Some heads of charities are earning well over £100.000 a year."

This is very much 'a thing that happened', but it's still legitimately A Good Cartoon. :golfclap:

Fakeedit: Unless it's just Mac's view that black people in Africa are okay, it's the ones over here he doesn't like :ohdear:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I'm still amazed that Mac produced something that wasn't superbly awful.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

This is very much 'a thing that happened', but it's still legitimately A Good Cartoon. :golfclap:

Fakeedit: Unless it's just Mac's view that black people in Africa are okay, it's the ones over here he doesn't like :ohdear:

It's weird, it's really poe's law with MAC, he's kind of like Melanie Phillips, who cry about how our government gives Foreign Aid (which is less then 1% of the tax annually. So you get articles like this from the Daily Heil (there is about 50 or so but you get the idea, also don't want them to get page views RIP DailyVeil, for some time now it just redirects to Daily Mail :smith:).

And only 2 hours ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23599140

quote:

Godfrey Bloom on 'bongo bongo land' and UK foreign aid.

MEP Godfrey Bloom told the Today programme that "when a country has a trillion pounds of debt" he would prefer taxpayers' money should "stay at home".

The comment came after the UKIP politician was captured on film saying British aid should not be sent to "bongo bongo land".

"[Most people] would agree with me," he insisted.

UKIP has said his comments were being "discussed right at the very highest level of the party".

He told presenter James Naughtie that he would say "righto, sorry" if UKIP asked him to mind his language, and that he would write to the ambassador of "bongo bongo land and apologise to him personally".

"It's not for the likes of David Cameron to pick out pockets," he said.

In the film, obtained by the Guardian, he also claimed British aid was spent on fighter planes in Pakistan, which he called "treason" by the UK government.

Mr Bloom, MEP for Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire, subsequently told the paper: "I don't do political correctness."

At the meeting of supporters, Godfrey Bloom was recorded telling a meeting of supporters aid was spent on things like sunglasses and Ferraris.

:suicide:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 7, 2013

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Bongo Bongo Land wastes all aid given to them on the national football team

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the new Bank of England governor - Mark Carney has signalled that Britain's ultra-low interest rates would remain unchanged until well after the 2015 general election"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Express:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The cartoonist is in the forums But who? :tinfoil:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That bird was tough as nails to spot.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

McDowell posted:

The cartoonist is in the forums But who? :tinfoil:

Hi Paul. I claim my five pounds.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Came across this analysis of Express front pages that I thought the thread would enjoy.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Bah! Guess I was wrong.

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Cameron's £500m A&E bailout - David Cameron has announced £500m to help accident and emergency departments deal with increasing numbers"

Telegraph:

Boycott websites which don't tackle abuse, says Cameron

Independent:

Express:

Isle of Wight's Royal Yacht Squadron to allow women members

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
That poor fox :ohdear:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Is there a particular reason Steve bell hasn't made a cartoon in about two weeks now? Is he on sabbatical?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Bah! Guess I was wrong.
I read it, there just wasn't much to discuss. We already know the Express is an awful excuse for a newspaper. :v:
Kind of feel like a Demon's Souls reference would be better there but no Telegraph reader would get that.
gently caress's sake Paul. Don't put the joke as your news 'headline' if it hasn't actually happened.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

LP97S posted:

Is there a particular reason Steve bell hasn't made a cartoon in about two weeks now? Is he on sabbatical?

He pretty much always takes silly season off as holiday.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Kegluneq posted:

Kind of feel like a Demon's Souls reference would be better there but no Telegraph reader would get that.
On the other hand no Telegraph reader will get this either.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What is the reference anyway? It looks like the Marble Hill Zone from Sonic and Cameron's looking a bit like the guy from Ghouls and Goblins. Also Bob's pixelized his own name.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Mr. Squishy posted:

What is the reference anyway? It looks like the Marble Hill Zone from Sonic and Cameron's looking a bit like the guy from Ghouls and Goblins. Also Bob's pixelized his own name.

Looks like Wonder Boy to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a69miqZr0qc

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

The reference is Them Video Games On The Gogglebox

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Conservative agenda"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Gibraltar row: Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy hopeful about talks. After Clarkson Stanfield.

:sun: Stephen Collins: :supaburn:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

How many horrible stereotypes can you spot?

(also the CND logo, may as well smear another campaign while we're at it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Stop walking hippies, you obviously caused that earthquake yourselves.

• Locked thread